LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposables Are Not Thermal

I've read here and on other sites where a lot of people claim that their diapers help keep their butt, crotch, etc warmer during the cold winter months. Well I'd like to debunk this myth. As a ski patroller who is out on the slopes 3 times a week, I will personally state that disposable diapers are not thermal. When I get off the hill after a shift my diapered area is fridged. My wife can be a witness, she has is a heating pad waiting for me when I get home. My assumption is that the filling in a disposable diaper will clump together over a few hours of wearing (this is without wetting). This leaves a very thin layer of plastic as the thermal layer. The padding also doesn't cover your entire butt so there is a lot of exposed skin. I have never worn my cloth diapers on the ski hill however I am sure they would be much warmer. I seriously doubt most who claim disposables are warmer.

course wetting a diaper and then stepping outside into temperatures cold enough for snow to not melt is going to be cold.

but try not wetting the diaper and not wearing it for more than 4 hours or so, so the stuffing doesn't clump.. maybe then it will be warmer...

dunno though.. i dont ski

A suggestion ;)

Wear rubber(warmest) or plastic panties over your disposable diaper. By containing the air under them, you stay warm :) I don't know if there's a temperature point where the technique is no longer effective but it works well at freezing temperatures and above :lol:

Bettypooh

i wear them outside alot, and it gets down to -50c on a regular baisis here and i find them to add a little warmth to the undercarriage. though im not skiing or anything so i never had a problem with the diaper clumping up and DO NOT wet them if your going to be outside for a long time in the cold. they will turn super cold and very uncomfortable!

Going out of town Christmas shopping every December has been somthing I look forward to. In Michigan it usually gets very cold, below freezing in December. I don't know if a dry disposable diaper is any warmer outside than a wet one because by the time I get out of my car my diaper is always wet. I can tell you that walking from the car to the mall entrance on a very cold or below freezing day in a wet disposable diaper is cold! I feel my wet diaper cooling down almost as soon as I leave my warm car and go out in the cold air. When I go inside again my wet diaper quickly warms up with the room tempreture and my body heat. When I leave and walk back to my car, it dosn't take long for my wet diaper to cool down. This is when I wear jeans. I would expect that some thinner knit or dress pants would make your diaper cool down faster yet. Maybe a snowmobiel suit or something insulated would help keep your diaper warmer when outside but I've come to the conclusion years ago that disposable diapers are anything but thermal! Maybe someone should suggest that the Mythbuster's should investigate and test this theory!

Being a Motorcycle rider, and riding long distances in the cold, I thought that wearing a diaper under all my gear would be smart and cool. When I would stop for gas I would have to pee really bad when I stood up, and have to hurry for the bathroom fumbling to peel back the layers before I wet my self. And besides, once wet it would be just like a wet suit, helping me stay warm... Boy was I wrong! My diaper area was the only part of my body that was cold. It felt like I had been caught in a rain storm and I was getting doused. I would do it again, but there will be some electric clothing involved for further cold weather expeditions of the two wheel variety.

If I go a while wearing diapers 24/7, and then stop, my diaper area is noticeably colder. But, I think if you're wet and a diaper is all you're wearing under your clothes, then there might be a bit of a draft around the legs of the diaper, where it could get pretty cold. I'd recommend cotton boxer briefs over the top. It covers the legs of the diaper and hugs to your legs, so there's less chance of a chill getting through.

When I go out to plow snow, it's usually at night and often windy. At times the temps go down to around 16 degrees - sometimes even lower (0 degrees Farenheit once.) I always wear the following clothing for a layered effect, 'cause the truck is warm to hot: Disposable diaper with lots of baby powder. Women's nylon panties and cotton t-shirt. One set of Insulated underwear (top and bottom)(They feel like child's pj's - I lov 'em.) Blue jeans and denim shirt. Insulated socks and workboots. Sweatshirt with hood (hoodie). Warm Coat and hat.

My diaper is always wet - I wet it to the max and wear it until I need to change so I can pee some more. I never poop unless I'm heading home.

I've always been ok but the following addage is always true regarding worn clothing: "to be wet is to be cold - to be dry is to be warm". I'll tell you, when the temperatures are below 20 degrees farenheit, that diaper can get cold and I have to jump into the truck to warm up.

OK, I heard a great suggestion by Rusty Pins!

Who you gonna call?

((((Myth Busters!!))))

I've been following this thread and have decided to add a few comments: IMO diapers can be both warmer & colder>>try and follow: . For me I notice I'm warmer down there in general, when the diaper is dry ( goes along with the idea as Glenn noted about layering clothing when out) & only shortly, maybe 3/4's of an hour, after wetting. After an hour in a wet diaper things do start to cool off some, and this time frome would be shortened especially if you are out in the cold.

Also to support the idea that diapers are "thermal" there have been many studies done concerning a reduced sperm count in boys/men who wear disposable diapers because of increase heat around the scrotum.

Actually with cloth diapers they stay warm much longer that's why I wear them when I am skiing. I used to wear diapers for ski patrol, but I always use plastic pants so it does help things stay warm longer. Depending on the day and the wind chill, I also used to wear a sleeper under my clothes instead of long johns. :P