LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Will The Earth End On Wednesday?

Personally, i rarely party on New Years Eve, but that's due to lack of free time.

My point was... End Years Eve would be the day before New Years Eve because... New Years Eve is the last day of the year, also the end of the year. The eve of that day is the day before. Right?

-Sophie

Beth wonders if Sophie Vader is still in a state of shock after discovering that the Jedi, Luke Skydiaper is actually her son!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as we know, with our current understanding of relativity, space/time physics, mass, velocity, and the conversion of energy, it is impossible for anything that has mass to exceed the speed of light. Basically as anything that has mass approaches the speed of light, it gains infinite mass (as I understand it). Also the time continuum would stretch out immensely, causing time dialation effects. Most of the speculation on the possibility of space travel in modern times involves some sort of seperate dimension (like Star Trek's subspace, or many SciFi writers concept of Hyperspace) where the points of normal space correspond, but are closer to each other. Thus, without actually exceeding the speed of light, it seems that a ship or individual would travel faster than light.

But since we don't know for sure, its all speculation for now....who knows, but the time we get to that point, we may have a completely different understanding of physics.

it doesn't have infinite mass. it can't go past the speed of light because of inertia. we just don't have the ability to send something that has mass that fast. Inertia is resisting change in motion, in this case going faster, so more and more energy is needed for it to go faster. We don't have the means right now to push something faster than the speed of light.

if something travels faster then speed of light it would move backwards in time. wouldn't that effect its traveling. paradox

Why would it move backwards in time? (Sorry, I'm no expert on this.)

Another thing, if you say had a space craft that was moving faster than light, wouldn't it disappear? On the basis that we only see something by the light reflected from its surface. Wouldn't it leave its own reflected light behind in space? Much the same way that a jet fighter moving faster than sound crosses over you in silence, with the sound coming later.

Beth

Beth,

That's the way I see it.

If something moves away faster than the light can get to your eyes, then it will seem to disappear on you (leaving a dark spot where it was). If it suddenly stops, you would see a bright flash of white light at the instant it reappears.

If an object moves towards you, then stopped immediately in front of you, it would seem that it moved instantaneously with a bright flash of white.

Try this Beth.

Let's say that we were born on the same day but 100 light years apart. It would take 100 years for the image of my birth to reach you. Of course, we're assuming that we live this long. If I move towards you so fast that it only takes me 99 years to do so, then when I reach you, you will see me as a 99 year old. If I stop and step aside, then the images of me will finally start arriving at you. It will take the next year for all of the other images to get there. If you're patient enough to remain in the same place for a year, what you will see, then, is two of me. One that had stepped aside, aging one year; and the other moving away from you regressing to birth through the course of that last year.

Now who can figure out when the sound of my crying will arrive? (Assuming a sound medium between Beth and me.)

Try this Beth.

Let's say that we were born on the same day but 100 light years apart. It would take 100 years for the image of my birth to reach you. Of course, we're assuming that we live this long. If I move towards you so fast that it only takes me 99 years to do so, then when I reach you, you will see me as a 99 year old. If I stop and step aside, then the images of me will finally start arriving at you. It will take the next year for all of the other images to get there. If you're patient enough to remain in the same place for a year, what you will see, then, is two of me. One that had stepped aside, aging one year; and the other moving away from you regressing to birth through the course of that last year.

Now who can figure out when the sound of my crying will arrive? (Assuming a sound medium between Beth and me.)

Why would it only take me only a year to watch you regressing to birth from 99 years old? Wouldn't the footage of you at 20 arrive 30 years after the footage of you at 50? Because it was 30 light years more distant to begin with.

Try this Beth.

Actually, I don't see it like that. Beth would be 99 years old when you arrived at 99 days old, it would still take another year for any other image of you to arrive, and then another 99 days of your image growing younger from the original 99 days old you were at a rate equal to the factor of a year to a day. This being that the 99 years you spoke of would be realitive to Beths end, not yours or you wouldn't be traveling at the speed of light, thus all this is mute.

But hey I just woke up..so maybe not.

Actually, I don't see it like that. Beth would be 99 years old when you arrived at 99 days old, it would still take another year for any other image of you to arrive, and then another 99 days of your image growing younger from the original 99 days old you were at a rate equal to the factor of a year to a day. This being that the 99 years you spoke of would be realitive to Beths end, not yours or you wouldn't be traveling at the speed of light, thus all this is mute.

But hey I just woke up..so maybe not.

I don't get that Repaid, explain it again. Why would he be 99 days old and me 99 years?

Beth

When someone travels at the speed of light, such as the formula introduced given 100 light years away. Look at it like its miles, 100 miles so you get a distance. If you had to travel 100 miles and you did it at 100 MPH then it would only take you 1 hour BUT if you did it at 10 MPH it would take 10 hours or ten times as long. Now Factoring in that light speed is on a grander scale it follows the same principle. I can travel 100 miles and only be 1 hour older or I can travel slower and be ten hours older.

Light years is merely a distance measured by the speed of light. If time is relative to light..according to Einstien. Therefore 100 light years is equal to 100 years at the speed of light for a distance. Basically for every 1 light year there is 365 light days. Therefore to travel a light year takes a day at the speed of light. IF it took 99 light years to travel the distance then the end that was waiting is at normal time or 99 years, the person traveling is only using a day, thus 99 years to 99 days. Did that confuse you?

I personally don't follow that theory, it's like saying sound speed is relative to something of the same. Which it's not, just a distance traveled. But any way.....

When someone travels at the speed of light, such as the formula introduced given 100 light years away. Look at it like its miles, 100 miles so you get a distance. If you had to travel 100 miles and you did it at 100 MPH then it would only take you 1 hour BUT if you did it at 10 MPH it would take 10 hours or ten times as long. Now Factoring in that light speed is on a grander scale it follows the same principle. I can travel 100 miles and only be 1 hour older or I can travel slower and be ten hours older.

Light years is merely a distance measured by the speed of light. If time is relative to light..according to Einstien. Therefore 100 light years is equal to 100 years at the speed of light for a distance. Basically for every 1 light year there is 365 light days. Therefore to travel a light year takes a day at the speed of light. IF it took 99 light years to travel the distance then the end that was waiting is at normal time or 99 years, the person traveling is only using a day, thus 99 years to 99 days. Did that confuse you?

I personally don't follow that theory, it's like saying sound speed is relative to something of the same. Which it's not, just a distance traveled. But any way.....

But how can you travel a light year in one day at the speed of light? Surely if you travel at the speed of light it will take you 365 days to travel one light year?

Beth

That's just it, the theory is that time and light speed are equal. So that while you are in the ship traveling at the speed of light for a day..you went the distance of a year of time. That should really confuse you... remember one is moving inside time..one is not. It's a time space continuum thing...looks like it's time for you to google...and get a video or something..It took me a few sci-fi shows to figure it out so don't think your the only one. That and I actually got a "A" in the fifth grade for devising a time machine, my teacher freaked out...then again I haven't seen him since the 6th grade...hmmmm.

Why would it only take me only a year to watch you regressing to birth from 99 years old? Wouldn't the footage of you at 20 arrive 30 years after the footage of you at 50? Because it was 30 light years more distant to begin with.

Because I'm moving towards you, the image of me at 20 has to travel less distance than my birth. My birth image will happen 100 years after my actual birth since it had to travel 100 lightyears. When you see me at 99 years, there will only be one year left before all my images catch up. Remember, as long as I travel faster than light, my image will always be behind me.

Repaid, this is all relative to Beth. I kinda see what you're saying, but is not a lightyear based on the distance light travels in a vacuum. I see that as a fixed distance.