LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Male Urinary Tract Infection

After a horrible weekend I went to my Doctor this morning to find out I have a severe urinary tract infection. He said there was lots of blood in my urine and typical when men get it the first time it's severe.

He mentioned it could be caused by the prostate. But here's my question, could it be diapers?

A number of years ago I trained myself to wet at night so I must wear diapers to bed. During the day I'll wear diapers when I can and I need to wear pull-ups' or at least a Depend Guard for small leaks after urinating.

So can anyone help me?

I need to know if this might be the cause and since I need absorbent padding what should I do, change more often, get up in the middle of the night to change my diaper?

Thanks,

Phil

Sorry to hear about the UTI. Good thing is they are really easy to treat. Don't worry about diapers. I've been wearing diapers for over 20 years and never had a UTI from being in diapers and I've been 24/7 for a long time.

InD

Since disposable diapers are not considered a frequent cause of UTI, pay attention to everything else your physician mentioned.

Since you show your age as 47, it is very important you keep ahead of your prostate health. All primary care physicians know how to perform a physical prostate exam and at your age should include a PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) test as part of a general lab work-up. Depending on the results of the PSA (which can take a few days to receive) you might be referred to a urologist for more sophisticated prostate and bladder exams.

All this is very important because eventually most men do develop prostate trouble. The good news is prostate cancer is treatable successfully when detected early, and 47 is no longer considered too young for this, especially if your father had prostate cancer.

My husband's father did have prostate cancer, which spread before it was detected, and was the cause of his death. Consequently Don has had PSA tests once or twice a year since they were invented. Lucky he was on top of that because in January 2007 his routine PSA came back elevated from all previous tests. Don was referred to a urologist who did a second PSA as well as ultra-sound and other exams. When the second PSA had the same numbers, Don received a surgical biopsy, which comfirmed the start of a rapid-growing cancer. That was removed by robotic surgery in June 2007 and by September 2007 Don had regained all his bladder control.

My plea to all the guys here is to get a PSA at leat once a year from the moment your physician suggests these. Do not obsess about prostate cancer, but please be aware of it and go see your physician when you have changes in the way you wet.

[edited to correct spelling to "Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)] angela

After a horrible weekend I went to my Doctor this morning to find out I have a severe urinary tract infection. He said there was lots of blood in my urine and typical when men get it the first time it's severe.

He mentioned it could be caused by the prostate. But here's my question, could it be diapers?

A number of years ago I trained myself to wet at night so I must wear diapers to bed. During the day I'll wear diapers when I can and I need to wear pull-ups' or at least a Depend Guard for small leaks after urinating.

So can anyone help me?

I need to know if this might be the cause and since I need absorbent padding what should I do, change more often, get up in the middle of the night to change my diaper?

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks,

That's the interesting thing about the medical field. He mentions the prostate but doesn't bother to check the prostate or for testing. In at least the last 5 to 8 years Doctors don't want to do much. They don't even want to do physicals! It's scary, I do know with this Doctor and the past recent few I need to manage my health care and get my info from online. Thanks again Angela.

Bye,

Phil

Since disposable diapers are not considered a frequent cause of UTI, pay attention to everything else your physician mentioned.

Since you show your age as 47, it is very important you keep ahead of your prostate health. All primary care physicians know how to perform a physical prostate exam and at your age should include a PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) test as part of a general lab work-up. Depending on the results of the PSA (which can take a few days to receive) you might be referred to a urologist for more sophisticated prostate and bladder exams.

All this is very important because eventually most men do develop prostate trouble. The good news is prostate cancer is treatable successfully when detected early, and 47 is no longer considered too young for this, especially if your father had prostate cancer.

My husband's father did have prostate cancer, which spread before it was detected, and was the cause of his death. Consequently Don has had PSA tests once or twice a year since they were invented. Lucky he was on top of that because in January 2007 his routine PSA came back elevated from all previous tests. Don was referred to a urologist who did a second PSA as well as ultra-sound and other exams. When the second PSA had the same numbers, Don received a surgical biopsy, which comfirmed the start of a rapid-growing cancer. That was removed by robotic surgery in June 2007 and by September 2007 Don had regained all his bladder control.

My plea to all the guys here is to get a PSA at leat once a year from the moment your physician suggests these. Do not obsess about prostate cancer, but please be aware of it and go see your physician when you have changes in the way you wet.

[edited to correct spelling to "Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)] angela

The only thing lately has been adding a lot of cornstarch at night to the point where it's very clumpy in the morning.

Phil

It could have been the cause of your UTI, but mostly only if you pooped in your diaper and didn't clean yourself well. Urine is sterile unless you have an infection.

Phil...

You might want to add cranberry juice to your diet also.

The acidity of cranberry juice stops many UTI's from

developing. I like to play with catheters to give myself

temporary incontinence, and in the beginning, I got

several UTI's. (Which is exactly why many people will

strongly discourage playing with catheters..)

After having a few painful UTI's, I started drinking

cranberry juice instead of my regular orange juice,

and I no longer have any problems. Just Google

"Cranberry juice" and you will see what I mean.

When the folks here talk about cranberry juice as a prophylactic for UTIs... it's best to remember that the best cranberry juice is the raw, pure juice. Stuff like Ocean Spray contains a mixed bag of things including a lot calories and sugar you don't need. The best I've found is the pure cranberry juice from Trader Joe's market. It's pretty tough to choke down (more like medicine really) but so much better for you. I have A LOT of experience with UTIs , none of it any fun.

Yer Friend n' Foe... the Everpresent Mo!

been there done that i know UTI are a really issue for me mine is caused form retention issues. it could be a prostate infection to cause the i have been in diapers for 10 years and no they do nto cause UTI's the dr said if you incontince then your gona get 1 or 2 UTI's it jsut of those givens

When the folks here talk about cranberry juice as a prophylactic for UTIs... it's best to remember that the best cranberry juice is the raw, pure juice. Stuff like Ocean Spray contains a mixed bag of things including a lot calories and sugar you don't need. The best I've found is the pure cranberry juice from Trader Joe's market. It's pretty tough to choke down (more like medicine really) but so much better for you. I have A LOT of experience with UTIs , none of it any fun.

Yer Friend n' Foe... the Everpresent Mo!

R.W. Knudsen's is my brand for pure Cranberry Juice...I can get it at whole foods, or at the "natural products" section of some of the upscale Groceries in town. If it's too hard to choke down straight, mix it with something like OJ. A cup or two per day is reasonable when you have a UTI.

I once gave myself a UTI....from holding my urethra closed when my bladder was trying to pee....you might want to think about anything that might have worked it a little too hard. Also, men aren't supposed to get UTIs, so your Dr *should* be checking things out.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm dealing with my 2nd UTI in six weeks! This really sucks, what is so frustrating is that just like the first time it's over the weekend. Unless you illegal, you pay through the nose for the emergency room. The medical industry sucks even more, yes I wrote 'industry'!

To make matters worse the Doctor's office I'm going to is horrible, no one there knows what the other is doing. I woke up feeling out of it Friday morning. When I started to get the other symptoms I called the Dr.'s office at 1 and was told his nurse would call me right back. 1 1/2 hours later I called again and after that I still didn't get a call back.

I went to Walgreen's health clinic on Saturday, they state they treat UTI's right above the computer sign in so I signed in and waited 25 minutes. When the nurse practitioner heard me explain my problem to the lady in the front he said they can't treat male UTI's.

I then called the Dr. who runs the office that I go to. He said that my Dr. and his nurse were out last week. He told me to call Monday and that my Dr. had to see me Monday. I called this morning to find out my Dr. was out today too. It turned out I was talking to his nurse, she said she was there last week. This is an office with 5 Doctors, and only one is in today, and my appointment is at the end of the day.

So I'm on my 4th day of sweats, chills, aches and pains and a fever. One thing for sure is I need to find a new thief {people that have M.D. after their name}, there are plenty in this industry, maybe one who is a little more organized. Amazing these careless crooks still are exempt from jury duty because they are still considered to be dedicated noble professionals who are dedicated to their patients health, yeah right!

I've gone off the subject but I'm in a real crappy physical and mental mood right now but it's the truth!

Phil

So can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Phil

Well I'm dealing with my 2nd UTI in six weeks! This really sucks, what is so frustrating is that just like the first time it's over the weekend. Unless you illegal, you pay through the nose for the emergency room. The medical industry sucks even more, yes I wrote 'industry'!

To make matters worse the Doctor's office I'm going to is horrible, no one there knows what the other is doing. I woke up feeling out of it Friday morning. When I started to get the other symptoms I called the Dr.'s office at 1 and was told his nurse would call me right back. 1 1/2 hours later I called again and after that I still didn't get a call back.

Phil

At a minimum, the Dr's office should be able to re-prescribe the antibiotics (generally Bactrim) that you used last time. Time for a new Dr. If it's noon on Friday, and you can't get help with a UTI, or be seen, your doctor is too busy. You want to see a urologist, as you *should not* be getting repeated UTIs. Something is going on that needs repair if you aren't doing something silly to yourself.

Be prepared to be honest with the urologist about what you are doing with yourself right before you get infected. It might be worth keeping a log. All sorts of stupid stuff can cause the UTI, including changes to your drugs, intentional or accidental, too much friction, etc.

Dill Pickle

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LOSTinDiapers

That is just plain awful. I am very familiar with UTI's and can tell you that the longer you wait, involuntary or otherwise, to get it treated, the more likely it will spread to your kidneys. My first UTI was when I was 18 and it was pretty severe. I had a fever over 103 for several days and my older brother thought I was full of it and kept telling me to quit being a wuss. It took three weeks of Cipro to clear that one up. I think I finally beat it after all these years of fighting. My urologist put me on 6 months of Levequin and I haven't had a problem since. I hope you are feeling better.

Good Luck

I went to Walgreen's health clinic on Saturday, they state they treat UTI's right above the computer sign in so I signed in and waited 25 minutes. When the nurse practitioner heard me explain my problem to the lady in the front he said they can't treat male UTI's.

I then called the Dr. who runs the office that I go to. He said that my Dr. and his nurse were out last week. He told me to call Monday and that my Dr. had to see me Monday. I called this morning to find out my Dr. was out today too. It turned out I was talking to his nurse, she said she was there last week. This is an office with 5 Doctors, and only one is in today, and my appointment is at the end of the day.

So I'm on my 4th day of sweats, chills, aches and pains and a fever. One thing for sure is I need to find a new thief {people that have M.D. after their name}, there are plenty in this industry, maybe one who is a little more organized. Amazing these careless crooks still are exempt from jury duty because they are still considered to be dedicated noble professionals who are dedicated to their patients health, yeah right!

I've gone off the subject but I'm in a real crappy physical and mental mood right now but it's the truth!

Phil