LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

An Oldie, But A Goodie

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd chime in here over an ages long debate. That one over cloth diapers or disposable. With the world focusing more and more on the environment I wonder how many of us here have given the choice between the two much consideration.

I, myself was raised in that golden time just before disposable diapers, and have always had a thing for cloth diapers and plastic pants, but I have enjoyed the convienience of disposables, especially Attends (with a booster pad in them), or Abenas.

It's nice to go out with a disposable because they are so discreet, being able to go out and about not wondering if anyone would see that you're wearing diapers. But at night I have to go with the old stand by, my old comfortable, and reliable cloth diapers and plastic pants.

I'm a heavy night wetter, and they just don't make a disposable that can stand up to the kind of wetting I have at night. Maybe some of you can relate, maybe not, but I do enjoy waking up to a wet diaper, and NOT a wet bed.

So I use both types of diapers, and like the disposables for daytime use, but have wondered how many of you out there use cloth, how many disposable, and how many use a combination of both. This also brings into question just how many tons of diapers are we sending off to the landfills every year, and if anyone has made a choice for cloth diapers out of concerns they might have for the worlds environment.

I know that many of you here were raised in diposable diapers, but this is also a generation that is aware of our impact on the Earths environment. So have any of you considered a change in the type of diapers you wear? Do you worry about all of the tons of diapers going to the landfills and being barged out to sea every day?

I'm not passing judgement, I use both types of diapers myself, but I do wonder if anyone else here thinks about the environment and what sort of impact we have on the Earth.

Vic

I use disposables 100% currently. I was raised in disposables and have a thing for them like you do with cloth. I also wear the attends with booster because its like the perfect diaper. I have never worn a cloth diaper and probably will someday when I get a washing machine lol. I don't like the idea of reusing a diaper and having to wash it etc. Disposables are much more convenient. As far as the environment goes. I do care about the environment and earth, but I will not change from my beloved disposable diaper for it. I won't be the one who sees the real impact that my diapers will leave behind so its "not my problem" as some would say. Maybe I will get lucky and in 300-500 years (the supposed amount of time it takes for a diaper to decompose) they will be able to clone me from a dirty diaper or something lol. Although by then they will know the affects of the environment and won't be too pleased with me and my diaper wearing behaviors lol. Oh well. Ok im done now...LOL

I have been wearing cloth diapers, at night for most of my life. There are several reasons. They are more absorbant than disposables (including Abri/Abena and Molicare). My wife actually like laundering diapers. I was raised in cloth diapers.

I do not believe that the environment is in trouble. I think this "climate change" stuff is the scam of the centry. Follow the money. Al Gore wants to sell you "carbon credits"!

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd chime in here over an ages long debate. That one over cloth diapers or disposable. With the world focusing more and more on the environment I wonder how many of us here have given the choice between the two much consideration.

I, myself was raised in that golden time just before disposable diapers, and have always had a thing for cloth diapers and plastic pants, but I have enjoyed the convienience of disposables, especially Attends (with a booster pad in them), or Abenas.

It's nice to go out with a disposable because they are so discreet, being able to go out and about not wondering if anyone would see that you're wearing diapers. But at night I have to go with the old stand by, my old comfortable, and reliable cloth diapers and plastic pants.

I'm a heavy night wetter, and they just don't make a disposable that can stand up to the kind of wetting I have at night. Maybe some of you can relate, maybe not, but I do enjoy waking up to a wet diaper, and NOT a wet bed.

So I use both types of diapers, and like the disposables for daytime use, but have wondered how many of you out there use cloth, how many disposable, and how many use a combination of both. This also brings into question just how many tons of diapers are we sending off to the landfills every year, and if anyone has made a choice for cloth diapers out of concerns they might have for the worlds environment.

I know that many of you here were raised in diposable diapers, but this is also a generation that is aware of our impact on the Earths environment. So have any of you considered a change in the type of diapers you wear? Do you worry about all of the tons of diapers going to the landfills and being barged out to sea every day?

I'm not passing judgement, I use both types of diapers myself, but I do wonder if anyone else here thinks about the environment and what sort of impact we have on the Earth.

Vic

I like disposables but my husband Paddi prefers me in terry nappies as this is his first choice, between us we use around 9 to 10 terry nappies a day. If I am at home on my own I do tend to wear disposables but I probably only wear 4 to 5 a week, but I do know where you are coming from on the envioroment side of things.

"I do not believe that the environment is in trouble. I think this "climate change" stuff is the scam of the centry. Follow the money. Al Gore wants to sell you "carbon credits"!"

I am reminded of the words of my late, great godfather Kaj Strand ( Scientific Director at the US Naval Observatory Wash, D.C.), when I asked about the predicted cataclysmic events that would follow the impact of the Shoemaker-Levy comets on the planet Jupiter back in '94. Laughing, he replied in his thick Danish-American accent, "Nothing is going to happen. Jupiter is a big planet. Sounds to me like a lot of "scientists" trying to hold on to their jobs."

Kaj passed away back in 2000. I miss him and he had a profound impact on my early perception of the universe.

In short, I agree with you RDB. And a bit off-topic, I realize. Let me bring it back, some. I am a confirmed "Clothie". Always have been. Always will be. But, my preference has nothing to do with the state of the environment. I do think we have more to fear from comets and asteroids hitting our own planet than greenhouse gasses or plasticized landfills.

Cuddles,

--heidilynn ;)

I am reminded of the words of my late, great godfather Kaj Strand ( Scientific Director at the US Naval Observatory Wash, D.C.), when I asked about the predicted cataclysmic events that would follow the impact of the Shoemaker-Levy comets on the planet Jupiter back in '94. Laughing, he replied in his thick Danish-American accent, "Nothing is going to happen. Jupiter is a big planet. Sounds to me like a lot of "scientists" trying to hold on to their jobs."

Kaj passed away back in 2000. I miss him and he had a profound impact on my early perception of the universe.

In short, I agree with you RDB. And a bit off-topic, I realize. Let me bring it back, some. I am a confirmed "Clothie". Always have been. Always will be. But, my preference has nothing to do with the state of the environment. I do think we have more to fear from comets and asteroids hitting our own planet than greenhouse gasses or plasticized landfills.

Cuddles,

--heidilynn ;)

I read a great article recently that said global warming is a natural phenomenon, that happens in a cycle. The planet will warm, the ice caps will melt, the oceans will rise. A few tens of thousands of years after this there will be another ice age, when the whole of North America, Northern Europe and the North Atlantic will be under ice........and there is nothing we can do about it! It reminds me of a joke I heard.

First guy: 'You shouldn't use your car so much. Don't you know that by keep driving everywhere you are adding to global warming?'

Second guy: 'Good!!! It's about time Britain had a decent summer.'

Back to the original question.

My preference is cloth and plastic pants (that's what we used when I was growing up) but I do like disposables too, especially when my wife gets fed up with washing diapers, lol.

I wear pull ups when I go out in diapers.

Beth :littleangel:

As I said, I am guilty of using both cloth and disposable, but I must admit that I am concerned about adding to the amount of garbage going into our landfills.

It's just that I've always felt that we are in danger of polluting our planet beyond repair. That's all, I don't know how much wearing disposables contributes to that, but I thought that this generation was more concerned about the environment than the last one.

I did speak with my father not long ago, and we were talking about the environment. He was stating that there seamed to be a lot of pollution from the way his generation handled things, so I told him "gee thanks Dad", his reply? "You're welcome".

Vic

I wear only cloth diapers, as I'm not comfortable in disposables. When I wear disposables I am more fearful of leaks than when I wear cloth, especially at night.

About the environment... I don't like the idea of the waste (sorry about the pun) in our landfills, but I also wonder about the affect of the water used to wash cloth diapers, and the electricity for drying. I'm sure there's a trade-off but I don't know the balancing point. Of course, some if not all of this, is offset by the power and water required to make the disposables.

Oh well, enough rambling... time to wash the diapers...

CDL

First guy: 'You shouldn't use your car so much. Don't you know that by keep driving everywhere you are adding to global warming?'

Second guy: 'Good!!! It's about time Britain had a decent summer.

:lol: Nothing like Brit humour! How's about a decent winter, as well?

Cuddles,

--heidilynn ;)

:lol: Nothing like Brit humour! How's about a decent winter, as well?

Cuddles,

--heidilynn ;)

Well, we have those every year, we had thick snow only week before last. Unfortunately, if the ice caps do melt too much the part of England I live in will be under the English Channel.

Never mind though, you can't have everything!

Beth

only dispos atm

tried cloth ages ago b ut didnt like it

i like the plastic on the diapers, so cloth will only be used if i ever would be inco

i never used plastic pants either cause i dont see the point with them...

I use both. At night, I wear two night weight cloth diapers, as I am a heavy wetter. If I wear during the day, I wear disposables. Also, wear disposables when I'm out of town. I feel less prone to leaks in cloth.

I don't know about cloth being better for the environment. How much pollution do you make cleaning them? You've got detergent, vinegar, baking soda, electricity from running the washer..do you use the dryer? Or do you hang? Etc...

I use both cloth and disposable diapers. I use them both on an economical standpoint rather than the environmental. I mean I do care about the environment and such, I recycle where i can. I use cloth mostly when I am around the house and disposables if I will be away for any amount of time. Like if I go out of town for the weekend or if I go camping. I like to wear cloth because they feel so much more comfortable and less irritating than disposables.

I wear the cloth to bed every night except on the occasion when I am washing the cloth, then i will wear disposable for a day or so.

Well, up until recently, I've been primarily a disposables person, almost all the time. Since my move overseas though, my ability to get ahold of decent disposable diapers has dried up PDQ, and I decided to try cloth diapers and plastic pants. I'd been thinking about it for some time....I seem to remember being in cloth on occaision as a kid, but not entirely sure. Wanted to give it a try in my adult life, but never had the washing facilities until now either. So at any rate, I got my cloth ones about 2 weeks ago, and I absolutely love them. The bulk of the diaper in the right places, the overall comfort, the absorbency, etc. are all right. I also havent had any leak problems since i started wearing them either.

All that said though, I am planning on going 24/7 once I make it back to the States. Although I will continue to wear cloth whenever I'm at home, and definitely at nights, I will probably continue to wear disposables whenever I go out and about. For convenience sake, I dont see how it would be worth doing the cloth on the road. Disposables are easier to change, easier to store and transport, more discreet, and more comfortable under clothes (IMHO). And that doesnt even consider the transport of the wet or soiled cloth ones. So for me it will probably be about a 50/50 combination. Mostly cloth at home, and mostly disposable for work and play time.

About the environment. I dont worry about global warming....the Earth warms and cools on a natural basis. Is it changing more rapidly this time that before? Maybe, we dont know. We dont have a way to accurately measure what temperatures were millions of years ago. On the other hand, one of the reasons I did think about cloth was environmental. It is our duty to be stewards of the Earth, and take care of our home. You wouldnt take an (undiapered) poop in your living room would you? It can be argued that the pollution factor wouldnt be measurably different, but I disagree. Especially in the United States, cleaning soap detergent etc out of water is immensely easier than cleaning up a landfill, waiting for stuff to break down. And electricity can be generated in ways that are immensely cleaner than how we ARE doing it. I'm not going to be a hypocrite, I do use disposables, but I thought this might be a way that I can lessen the effect I do have. And its so comfortable too ;-).

only ever wore cloth, as a baby and now as a avid diaper lover. nice thick cloth diapers and plastic pants are the only way to go for me.

as my wife picks out the patterns and colors she likes to see me in and sews my custom made diapers cloth just fits in with our DL activities.

Well, we have those every year, we had thick snow only week before last. Unfortunately, if the ice caps do melt too much the part of England I live in will be under the English Channel.

Never mind though, you can't have everything!

Beth

Gee I live in Montana now and always loved livN on the Northern California Coast. So I say when it melts I should be happy again...

As to the cloth disposible debate I love wearing my cloth diapers around the house and all night. When we go on a trip or my M isn't here to change me I get out the disposibles with extra liners to last til good times come again...

I'll put it into terms even you can understand,Moogle....Our Earth has been around for BILLIONS of years. Do you honestly and arrogantly believe that we humans can"destroy" the Earth with a little bit of plastic?

And for the billions of people that have the "f*** the environment" attitude...each bit of plastic, each environment polluting thing each person does each day isn't helping the Earth, my own actions included. I'm not trying to preach, and you're entitled to your opinion. I'm only stating I disagree with your attitude.

And by the way, you don't have to try and dumb anything down for me. I'm not stupid, thank you.

~ Moogle

And for the billions of people that have the "f*** the environment" attitude...each bit of plastic, each environment polluting thing each person does each day isn't helping the Earth, my own actions included. I'm not trying to preach, and you're entitled to your opinion. I'm only stating I disagree with your attitude.

And by the way, you don't have to try and dumb anything down for me. I'm not stupid, thank you.

~ Moogle

Believe me,nothing personal in"dumbing down" my post. Maybe this will put things into perspective....

undefined

I'll put it into terms even you can understand,Moogle....Our Earth has been around for BILLIONS of years. Do you honestly and arrogantly believe that we humans can"destroy" the Earth with a little bit of plastic?

Naw Pete,

us puny humans aint gonna hurt this old earth one bit.

It's our planet for God's sake, how can you hurt something as big as that? When ever there is a earthquake or volcanic eruption that's just Mother Earth reminding us that we're NOTHING to her. Now with that said, I'll tell you what we will do.

What we WILL do is to pollute OURSELVES out of existence. How's that for language that even the lamest of the laymen can understand? And if that doesn't bother you then there's always the chance of THERMO NUCLEAR WAR hanging over out heads.

The Earth is fine, always will be....... We aint.

Peace,

Vic