LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Foley catheter of choice

So I am going to start experimenting with wearing a foley catheter long term. Most of my current experience with catheters have been short term , one hour to several hours to a rare full day. Usually I use a latex catheter with hydrophilic coating . I know there are allot of choices out there. My question is what's the most comfortable. Next month I will have 10 days I can wear a catheter. I also know that after several hours hey catheter can become uncomfortable. So in your experience what is the material of choice or catheter. They have Teflon coated, silicone coated, solid silicone, and that's just a state a few. Also, I am trying to increase in size so that means where I usually wear a 20 or a 22. I will be pushing it up to a 24 or a 26 and maybe by the end of that week a 28th. So I know with it being tighter in my urethra it can create more discomfort. So again, what is the catheter material of choice? Cost is no object! I figure if I'm going to be wearing it for multiple days. If not a solid week you basically get what you pay for.

I’m a 10 year foley cath user. My bladder is trashed. 
my body doesn’t tolerate anything but 100% silicone foleys. Latex foleys cause my bladder to bleed. I usually have my foleys in for a week at a time. I usually have a day without it and then it is changed after a day without it. I can pee without it but in extremely uncomfortable. My recommendation is Bard 100% silicone “Lubri-Sil” I use 16,18, and occasionally 20F. I’ve been using mostly 16’s because that’s what I’ve been able to get from my medical supplier. 

I've been wondering if this method would work. I think over time you're bound to stretch things out, probably cause some scarring and bleeding. The scarring could lead to strictures, which could block your flow. But treatment for structures is dilation or surgery to resect, either of which would lead to more risk of incontinence. 

Then you might consider how using a catheter you are not using your sphincters and your bladder is not expanding. I wonder whether you'd experience a reduced bladder capacity and or atrophy of sphincters if you just used a catheter for months or years at a time. What made me think of this is the fact that I have diaper-acquired overactive bladder. I pee dozens of times a day, and the only time I do hold seems to be when I am sleeping. I wonder if using a catheter a night only might reduce the time my bladder spends full and therefore stretching. 

I have a wide urethral meatus so I can fit a 22 in me but I have a lot more discomfort in the prostate. An 18 is super comfortable for me actually. I think I probably have some urethral trauma/scarring from years of hard masturbating so it kind of feels nice to have a tube holding my urethra open and supporting my penis. 

I have found smaller sizes more comfortable. Fr14 is good. Also latex work better for me. On 2 occasions in the past I have warn a catheter continuously for 6 weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have started my 10-day goal of wearing a catheter continuously and letting it drain into a diaper. Currently I am at 3 hours of wearing a 24 FR. My goal is to not remove the catheter except for changing it and hopefully upgrading the size in a few days. I guess it will give me a crash course of how it feels to be incontinent and dealing with a constantly dribbling penis.

Be careful draining into the diaper, that's not a good idea for 10 days straight, it's very likely you'll get an infection.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:42 PM, SIDincontinent said:

I’m a 10 year foley cath user. My bladder is trashed. 
my body doesn’t tolerate anything but 100% silicone foleys. Latex foleys cause my bladder to bleed. I usually have my foleys in for a week at a time. I usually have a day without it and then it is changed after a day without it. I can pee without it but in extremely uncomfortable. My recommendation is Bard 100% silicone “Lubri-Sil” I use 16,18, and occasionally 20F. I’ve been using mostly 16’s because that’s what I’ve been able to get from my medical supplier. 

When you go without the catheter do you leak? Was the long term cath usage by choice or did you have a medical issue that required it?

• Like 1

When I’m without the foley, I can hold it for a period of time, but usually leak for 15-20 minutes after using the bathroom. I became a foley user after extreme urinary frequency and all the OAB meds weren’t working. The Urology office recommended I go to the ER and get a foley inserted. I slept through the night for the first time in weeks. I’ve been a foley user ever since. 

• Like 2
On 3/12/2024 at 4:52 PM, superabsorbantpolymer said:

Have you spoken to the urologist about maybe getting a TURP/TURBN to improve your flow? Do you prefer to wear the cath or a diaper?

No, my flow rate is fine and I mostly empty. I wear both the foley and always wear a diaper over it to support things and protect from occasional leakage by the catheter. I don’t wear regular underwear anymore because I leak, not huge amounts but small amounts over the course of the day.