LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Politician trying to fix “delayed” Potty Training with legislation

Good article. So much of politics is standing up, taking "action", and being seen to be "doing something", even if that action is useless, or worse, counterproductive. And many times, "common sense" is not necessarily good sense - the solutions to complex problems can be counterintuitive, and some politicians don't have the time or desire to understand the real issues, and they have a sense that their constituency won't, either, so it's better to make proclamations and appear bold, even if it isn't helping in any way. Short-term thinking and simple answers get rewarded faster than long-term thinking and complex solutions. 

• Like 1

I believe that goes against IDEA.   I don't why you would have a law that contradicts existing law, but that's what happens when politicians want to get some attention.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

Good article. So much of politics is standing up, taking "action", and being seen to be "doing something", even if that action is useless, or worse, counterproductive. And many times, "common sense" is not necessarily good sense - the solutions to complex problems can be counterintuitive, and some politicians don't have the time or desire to understand the real issues, and they have a sense that their constituency won't, either, so it's better to make proclamations and appear bold, even if it isn't helping in any way. Short-term thinking and simple answers get rewarded faster than long-term thinking and complex solutions. 

Ronald Reagan was known for saying two things

" So many people think that government is the solution: Government is the problem"
"The most feared workds in the English language are 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"

There is something that must be understood: As Gene Burns' put it 35 years ago: A business rates its success by how much money comes in, which it uses to pay salaries and invest in its future or invest in the market (preferably the S&P 500: my addition). A govermnent beureaucracy measures its success by the increase in the nuber of souls over which it says grace. As I put it 50 years ago; "J. Paul Getty wants my money; Edward Kennedy [the iconic 'liberal'] wants my soul. You decide who is worse". As Ayn Rand put it 58 years ago. "The only argument a statist offers; and the only one he CAN offer, is a gun [threats, coercion and prison]"

And yet, over the last 150 years, people fell for the scam, and still do. If you want the government to give you everything you watn, be ready to give it everything you have; and ARE. And don't complain about being lied to, you knew better decades ago. The evidence was all around but you did or said nothing, hoping to cash in on a miracle that would make the loaves and fishes look like a parlor trick. There are no miracles. Over the millennia there are those who said "Kill the poor to benefit the rich" and those who said "Kill the rich to benefit the poor".  All there was in the end was the killing

As a little girtl, I can tell you that the Emperor is quite naked. Whether you choose to notice or not is up to you

• Like 1

I've now seen multiple references to there apparently being way more people in grade school who still need diapers these days. Is there any actual proof its true, or just people exagerating?

Obviously there are always medical conditions, but you'd think those would be the same amount each generation.

6 hours ago, ABAlex said:

I've now seen multiple references to there apparently being way more people in grad school who still need diapers these days. Is there any actual proof its true, or just people exagerating?

Obviously there are always medical conditions, but you'd think those would be the same amount each generation.

I bet the numbers are close, but still favor Kindergartners.   There are 4 million K's in the USA.  A complete guestimate that 2% have more than 2 accidents a week, and therefore need diapers/Pull-ups would mean 80,000 K's who aren't potty trained.   There are 3.2 Million grad students, which would mean 2.5% would need to be in diapers/Pull-ups.  PS- I bet that number is higher than 1%.

1 hour ago, spark said:

I bet the numbers are close, but still favor Kindergartners.   There are 4 million K's in the USA.  A complete guestimate that 2% have more than 2 accidents a week, and therefore need diapers/Pull-ups would mean 80,000 K's who aren't potty trained.   There are 3.2 Million grad students, which would mean 2.5% would need to be in diapers/Pull-ups.  PS- I bet that number is higher than 1%.

so to be clear "Grade" students, as in grades 1-12 plus kindergaten, or whatever it is near you. Not "grad" school as in after college. I meant I had heard anecdotally that teachers are complaining way more people in grade school still need diapers then ever before. 

17 minutes ago, ABAlex said:

so to be clear "Grade" students, as in grades 1-12 plus kindergaten, or whatever it is near you. Not "grad" school as in after college. I meant I had heard anecdotally that teachers are complaining way more people in grade school still need diapers then ever before. 

I thought you were saying that more adults wear diapers than kids, which I believe is true.

I think your point is true, but the true numbers are exaggerated by the articles.    

As for the article- I don't think it's something that can be legislated.  It is often asserted that kids can't go to Kindergarten if they aren't potty trained unless they have an IEP.  I've never seen any evidence that this is true, and I know that school is compulsory from age 6.  I'm a bit of an expert on IEPs, and lack of bladder control is not a qualifying disability.  The district must offer an education to a 6-year-old, even if they still can use the toilet independently and it can't be in a special education classroom unless they have an IEP.

IMO- we start school absurdly early in the USA.  Most of my students will graduate as 17-year-olds, which means they started Kindergarten right after their 5th birthday, or while they were 4.  Some didn't turn 5 until late November.   BTW- that age gap doesn't improve over time.  I'm sorry, but 13-year-olds are not ready for High school, even if they are bright.

I was bright, but I was delayed.  I just barely potty trained on my 5th birthday, which was when I could have started Kindergarten.  Fortunately, my mom decided to keep me out until my 6th birthday.  As it was- I was still behind my peers and didn't catch up until I was in 11th grade.  Academically, I might have been okay, but I wasn't emotionally ready for any of it.

• Like 2