LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Coming up with Titles for stories

What methods do people use when they come up with a title for their story?   I typically title my story when I start writing, but that doesn't always fit the story.   

For example, I have a working title for the story I'm working on now: The RBT Dorms.   IMO- that's a terrible title.  It's not descriptive, and obtuse, so nobody knows anything about the story.   I'm thinking of titling it Academic Probation because the plot is that a college student gets placed on Academic Probation and the college uses regression behavioral management to support students on academic probation.  However, that's kind of a boring tittle.

Do you guys tittle your stories before you write it, or wait until it's ready to go and then come up with an appropriate title?

Personally, I have a working title while I'm writing it.  Then when the whole thing is out there, I think about the most potent scene in the story and derive my title from that somehow, usually in allegory, as in The Panda's Ashes. 

That's the preferred methodology, anyway.  Not saying I always live up to it. 

I like @WBDaddy's process, although I sometimes find myself wanting to give the story a title before I've hatched pivotal scenes that might precipitate a better title. That's what working titles are for. You can always change it later - it's your world, if the main character was named Sam, and now you want to call him Federico, because he'd wear that name better, that is your prerogative.  

Spacetimes, I'll choose a title that suits the overarching theme of the story, as I picture it playing out, even if I don't have the course of the plot laid out yet. In Shifting Sands, for example, I knew that I was going to be working with a character whose foundations were built on infirm ground - someone who was going to be subjected to changes that were out of their control. 

For me it all depends on the story.  If it's something that will be posted in a single post, I might give the story a terrible, pun-based working title and then figure out the actual title once I'm done.  In a multi-part story, I have to figure out what the title is by the time I post the first part.  In either case, I plan the broad strokes of my stories before I start writing so I can usually come up with a title based on the theme of the story (e.g. The story called Hidden truths in plain sight is about someone wearing actual diapers under costume diapers at a Halloween party.)