LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Look What Is Going Mainstream

Listen closely to the intro: I almost dropped my lights...erm...magic wand

• Like 2

Do you mean the part about the Star Wars onesie?

What we call a onesie here in the UK (one piece PJs) went mainstream ages ago and the videos narrator has a British accent so I assume that’s what he’s probably referring to.

Good spot though, would be cool if he was talking about an infant bodysuit and that went mainstream

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Apache Raccoon said:

Do you mean the part about the Star Wars onesie?

What we call a onesie here in the UK (one piece PJs) went mainstream ages ago and the videos narrator has a British accent so I assume that’s what he’s probably referring to.

Good spot though, would be cool if he was talking about an infant bodysuit and that went mainstream

Yeah, I've noticed that British people have different enunciations of the same words that mean different things versus the US. Like for example, how you just mentioned that onesie in the UK means a full body suit footie pajamas style sleep clothes, whereas in the US, when we say "onesie" we mean like "baby" onesie. It can kind of get confusing honestly. What I don't get is why British people call diapers "nappies" instead.🤔🤨😕 I NEVER understood that.😅😂😆

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Little Spider said:

Yeah, I've noticed that British people have different enunciations of the same words that mean different things versus the US. Like for example, how you just mentioned that onesie in the UK means a full body suit footie pajamas style sleep clothes, whereas in the US, when we say "onesie" we mean like "baby" onesie. It can kind of get confusing honestly. When I don't get is why British people call diapers "nappies" instead.🤔🤨😕 I NEVER understood that.😅😂😆

@Little Spider

the term "diaper" means a piece of cloth.  the pattern that is woven into it is called diaper, which is basically bunch of diamonds that are woven into the as I'm aware. it comes from the French, However since I did not copy the Quora definition I can't exactly tell you the the base of the word, but Suffice to say the term diaper refers to a particular way of cloth has been woven or used.

The term "nappy" is short for the word napkin, which is apparently what they call a baby's diaper over there. I would assume that most of that would be because of the fact that when a baby uses a nappy, it would be something that is changed and then replaced with a fresh one, similar to like when we eat out, and we have a real good meal or something, and we end up taking our napkin and wiping our face. Usually a napkin is thrown away if it's disposable napkin, which is about what happens with about 99% of the napkins in the world. the other 1% or so are actual cloth napkins that you actually have to wash when you're done using them.

The word Nappy also probably has the connotation that it is being used that way when we're talking about babies and young children. If you're dealing with a napkin, which is what you would use to wipe your face or wipe something up, there would probably use the word napkin instead of Nappy.

Also, it could be based on where a person is raised, and when you're used to a particular way of doing things, or calling something what it is in another country, it could be that the person involved was raised outside the United States, and as such they may end up referring to a diaper as a nappy. If you've ever watched super nanny with Joe Frost, the particular episodes that are happening in the United States call she uses the word diaper. if you're talking about episodes that happened in the United Kingdom Here or other places that use that term that, they end up referring to a diaper as a nappy. A Nappy being used in this particular context refers to a baby's diaper, whereas if you're using a napkin in a restaurant you wouldn't call it a nappy, you would call it a napkin.

Brian

• Like 1
Just now, Apache Raccoon said:

Me neither :D

Comes from "napkin". Check out the end of one of  the early episodes of MAN FROM UNCLE as they discuss an affectionate nickname for Napoleon Solo

https://www.solie.org/alibrary/TheManfromUNCLE.html

Does this all mean that I will be able to get a Bourne Identity babydoll some day?

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, ~Brian~ said:

@Little Spider

the term "diaper" means a piece of cloth.  the pattern that is woven into it is called diaper, which is basically bunch of diamonds that are woven into the as I'm aware. it comes from the French, However since I did not copy the Quora definition I can't exactly tell you the the base of the word, but Suffice to say the term diaper refers to a particular way of cloth has been woven or used.

The term "nappy" is short for the word napkin, which is apparently what they call a baby's diaper over there. I would assume that most of that would be because of the fact that when a baby uses a nappy, it would be something that is changed and then replaced with a fresh one, similar to like when we eat out, and we have a real good meal or something, and we end up taking our napkin and wiping our face. Usually a napkin is thrown away if it's disposable napkin, which is about what happens with about 99% of the napkins in the world. the other 1% or so are actual cloth napkins that you actually have to wash when you're done using them.

The word Nappy also probably has the connotation that it is being used that way when we're talking about babies and young children. If you're dealing with a napkin, which is what you would use to wipe your face or wipe something up, there would probably use the word napkin instead of Nappy.

Also, it could be based on where a person is raised, and when you're used to a particular way of doing things, or calling something what it is in another country, it could be that the person involved was raised outside the United States, and as such they may end up referring to a diaper as a nappy. If you've ever watched super nanny with Joe Frost, the particular episodes that are happening in the United States call she uses the word diaper. if you're talking about episodes that happened in the United Kingdom Here or other places that use that term that, they end up referring to a diaper as a nappy. A Nappy being used in this particular context refers to a baby's diaper, whereas if you're using a napkin in a restaurant you wouldn't call it a nappy, you would call it a napkin.

Brian

Thanks for that long explanation Brian. I think I understand it now.😅😂😁 But I still think the word diaper better suits the overall description of the product better, but that's just my opinion. I find that it rolls off the tongue better anyway.😄😛😊

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ~Brian~ said:

@Little Spider

Brian

@~Brian~,

you are correct in that the name nappy comes from the word napkin, but there is a little more to that. Nappy is the anglised form of the French word nappé which is the root of the word for napkin and/or table cloth. It was the French royalty that started to place a cloth over an infants genitals as a way to protect the infants modesty etc. The use of this cloth as an absorbant garment to collect pee and poop was not its prime usage.

Due to the behaviour of certain people, in US it is said to be "keeping up with the Jones' ", and incorrectly coping royal's behaviour, the infant /  child was wrapped in this nappé.

In relation to the word diaper, as used in the US and others, this is a type of cloth weave and comes from the person's name who first created it -  where settlers would order lengths of this cloth by weave name. This type of behaviour is common in the US, where people commonly refer to products by company name rather than by item description i.e.

• hoover NOT  vacuum cleaner
  • saran wrap NOT cling film
  • coke NOT cola drink
  • pionola NOT player piano

... and there are thousands more company names adapted into American English as a product insted of the actual product.

So, the US name diaper is just the company that make nappies - garments originally to protect a persons modesty and adapted to contain their waste.

AND

Disposable diaper does not exist as the diaper company, like most companies, is not disposable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the derivation of "diaper" being derived from textile, then can we really consider throw-aways as "diapers"? since they are made of something more like paper?

Just now, babykeiff said:

@~Brian~,

you are correct in that the name nappy comes from the word napkin, but there is a little more to that. Nappy is the anglised form of the French word nappé which is the root of the word for napkin and/or table cloth. It was the French royalty that started to place a cloth over an infants genitals as a way to protect the infants modesty etc. The use of this cloth as an absorbant garment to collect pee and poop was not its prime usage.

Due to the behaviour of certain people, in US it is said to be "keeping up with the Jones' ", and incorrectly coping royal's behaviour, the infant /  child was wrapped in this nappé.

In relation to the word diaper, as used in the US and others, this is a type of cloth weave and comes from the person's name who first created it -  where settlers would order lengths of this cloth by weave name. This type of behaviour is common in the US, where people commonly refer to products by company name rather than by item description i.e.

• hoover NOT  vacuum cleaner
  • saran wrap NOT cling film
  • coke NOT cola drink
  • pionola NOT player piano

... and there are thousands more company names adapted into American English as a product insted of the actual product.

So, the US name diaper is just the company that make nappies - garments originally to protect a persons modesty and adapted to contain their waste.

AND

Disposable diaper does not exist as the diaper company, like most companies, is not disposable!

In the early '70's, All throw-aways were called in the US "pampers" or "throw-aways [which is vernacular for 'disposable']"

I did hear a British YouTuber talking about "hoover"ing some debris up once. Our verb is "vacuum"

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Given the derivation of "diaper" being derived from textile, then can we really consider throw-aways as "diapers"? since they are made of something more like paper?

Following your line of though, and comparing it to Pampers media presence, P&G (company that makes Pampers) refer to their product as 'Baby Dry' OR 'Cruisers' OR 'Swaddlers' OR 'Pure Protection', (in the US), but never diapers. Adult products are always refered to as 'breif's or pads.

The actual problem is the use of the word diaper as both a noun and a verb, but that is common in American English, as I stated indirectly earlier....

Definitions from Oxford Languages

diaper
noun
  1. 1.
    North American
    a piece of towelling or other absorbent material wrapped round a baby's bottom and between its legs to absorb and retain urine and faeces; a nappy.

2. 2.
    a linen or cotton fabric woven in a repeating pattern of small diamonds.
verb
  1. 1.
    North American
    put a nappy on (a baby).

2. 2.
    decorate (a surface) with a repeating geometrical or floral pattern.
28 minutes ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

In the early '70's, All throw-aways were called in the US "pampers" or "throw-aways [which is vernacular for 'disposable']"

I did hear a British YouTuber talking about "hoover"ing some debris up once. Our verb is "vacuum"

Hoover is another company name that is used as both a noun and a verb....

• One uses a hoover to hoover a floor.

and you are correct, it is common in US to state

• One uses a hoover to vacuum a floor

however, the correct phrase would be...

• One uses a vacuum cleaner to vacuum a floor... and the vacuum cleaner is made by Hoover

If you like words that are both verbs and nouns, have a look at this, there are 470 odd listed here, but due to the way the english language absorbs words, I would doubt if that list is them all!

Being who I am, a little blonde named Christine, with all that that implies, I must note that missing from that list is "tiara"

8 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Being who I am, a little blonde named Christine, with all that that implies, I must note that missing from that list is "tiara"

tiara is a noun since one can't tiara something or somebody. However, little blonde Princesses and Queens look cute while wearing a tiara.

picture of tiara

... here is one for somebody deserving.

1 hour ago, babykeiff said:

tiara is a noun since one can't tiara something or somebody. However, little blonde Princesses and Queens look cute while wearing a tiara.

picture of tiara

... here is one for somebody deserving.

Yes, one dies tiara someone. Ina definitionIread some 58 years  ago "to invest with a tiara" or ti put a tiara on someone

4 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Yes, one dies tiara someone. Ina definitionIread some 58 years  ago "to invest with a tiara" or ti put a tiara on someone

There is a verb use of the word tiara when it is used as the action of showering another with sperm during intercourse i.e. to tiara another

I can't find any reference to the verb contraction usage of adding the past tense of the verb to die with the noun, tiara. Still that sentance and the sentance, to invest with a tiara is using the word tiara as a noun, as the sentances refer to the thing(s)/item tiara, not the action tiara.

I believe it was the WORLD BOOK DICTIONARY of '63 and I heard a person use it in c1965. There is more to a lonaguage than is fou in dictionaries; they usually are fairly limited to Standard. Remember "Ain't ain't in the dictionary"; that changed in the mid '60's

Beises you are arguing with me about tiaras?! I pretty much wrote the book on it

1 minute ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

I believe it was the WORLD BOOK DICTIONARY of '63 and I heard a person use it in c1965. There is more to a lonaguage than is fou in dictionaries; they usually are fairly limited to Standard. Remember "Ain't ain't in the dictionary"; that changed in the mid '60's

Beises you are arguing with me about tiaras?! I pretty much wrote the book on it

I am not arguing.... I am trying to source the information re. tiara from the expert 😜 I have never heard the phrase one dies tiara, and trying to understand its usage... and I fully accept that it might be colloguial and/or slang. Years ago, the phrase have at it was used in fiction, its meaning is try it or, have a go at it and is a colloquialism from certain parts of America.

31 minutes ago, babykeiff said:

I am not arguing.... I am trying to source the information re. tiara from the expert 😜 I have never heard the phrase one dies tiara, and trying to understand its usage... and I fully accept that it might be colloguial and/or slang. Years ago, the phrase have at it was used in fiction, its meaning is try it or, have a go at it and is a colloquialism from certain parts of America.

Probably

At any rate, things change: "ain't" IS in the dictionary and the pronounce "route" as "rout" for some strange reason that I despise: Who ever heard of "Rout 66"

1 minute ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Probably

At any rate, things change: "ain't" IS in the dictionary and the pronounce "route" as "rout" for some strange reason that I despise: Who ever heard of "Rout 66"

What really annoys me is the verb to read, and the common error of using read (pronounced as red) as its past tense instead of did read

The rules of a language identify the sounding of each letter in conjunction with another, however, read and read changing pronounciation based on its use is of no sense. i.e. I read a good read in that book! pronounced as I red a good reed in that book

Well, do not get so wound up that it will wound your pride or you will wind up sucking wind

3 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Probably

I actually pronounce Route differently depending upon what I mean. 

I get my kicks on route (root) 66.

When I give directions it is a route (rout).

Up until the Newspeak media took over the develope of language in the mid '70's it was alrways "root"