LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

My first ever TAPE blowout on Crinklz

DL-Boy

Not sure if anyone else who uses Crinklz or BetterDry have ever experienced this but I had my first ever blowout at a leg tape where the plastic shell popped open because there was to much stress on the tape.  I'm not sure how I did that but I'm going 3-tape for the remainder of this diaper because I couldn't get the 2nd chance tape to patch and hold the shell together.

Anyone else had a catastrophic failure of the plastic backing  on a Crinklz or BetterDry because the tape pulled on it too hard?  

20220428_152743.jpg

• Like 1

I too have had this happen. It generally happens for me when i get too aggressive with the tape and attempt to get it overly tight. I keep duct tape around that has baby bottle designs on it around so if it happens i don't have to toss the diaper

Happened to me with the first ever Mega Max diaper I wore when on vacation last summer, but some good old diaper pins took care of that.  Betterdry are my go-to for premium diapers which I don't wear all that often, but I would have to say I probably had a tear in the plastic at one time or another from a tape stretched too tight.  I know it's happened on other lower end brands.

• Like 1

Regular user of BetterDry overnight here.  Yes, I've seen that failure mode and I believe you've nailed the cause.

I find that the BetterDry shell does seem to stretch slightly overnight and they can be a bit loose at the legs by morning.  Attempts to "manage" this by over-tightening the tapes however are in my experience, quite likely to lead to exactly the failure you've highlighted.

Also in my experience, a BetterDry thus compromised will leak prolifically (I wet the bed a lot so I'm often oblivious as to when it gets used and I'm not awake to manage any fall-out).  I routinely wear Kins terry-lined waterproofs over my night nappy.  About once or twice every fortnight those Kins will take one for the team...

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, oznl said:

Also in my experience, a BetterDry thus compromised will leak prolifically (I wet the bed a lot so I'm often oblivious as to when it gets used and I'm not awake to manage any fall-out).  I routinely wear Kins terry-lined waterproofs over my night nappy.  About once or twice every fortnight those Kins will take one for the team...

Wish I could "sleep wet".  I wake with intense all-over body pain and hot flush due to kidneys complaining about a full bladder, then have to position and breathe just right to let the flow start (sometimes sticking finger or two into the leg holes to brush over "Wee Willy" to encourage voiding). Once I've voided, I usually feel good enough to fall back asleep (almost like clockwork around 4:30am).

5 minutes ago, DL-Boy said:

Wish I could "sleep wet".  I wake with intense all-over body pain and hot flush due to kidneys complaining about a full bladder, then have to position and breathe just right to let the flow start (sometimes sticking finger or two into the leg holes to brush over "Wee Willy" to encourage voiding). Once I've voided, I usually feel good enough to fall back asleep (almost like clockwork around 4:30am).

It took years sorry.  It probably helped that I am a lousy sleeper anyway.  I had loads of opportunities every night to empty whatever was in my bladder into my diaper.  After a while, I stopped waking up for all of them.

If there was one other tip I could offer it would be that early on, it seemed I had to BE wet in order to sleep-wet again.  It's obviously something psychological.  Making a point of going to sleep whilst (even just a little bit) wet really did move the needle on this for both myself and others.

I now no longer need to BE wet in order to sleep-wet but due to the normal cadence of my daily diaper changes, I'm usually a bit wet upon retiring anyway.

I'll usually point the nozzle down into the bottom of the diaper when putting on the nighttime diaper but as soon as I can, I'll lay on my belly to wet the front (employing gravity to wet from the lower part where I'm pointed, up into the waistband).

The primary tape failure I have with Crinklz is with them not sticking securely.  Not sure what it is, but I suspect it's whatever type of inks used to print the cover.  Betterdry doesn't have the issue at all.   What happens is that the tape will "creep" over the plastic.  Lower ones always, sometimes top as well.  So, by morning, the lower tapes are essentially useless because they're either several inches away from where I originally fastened them or have come off completely.  I've tried going with just the primary tape, I've tried duct tape... nothing seems to stick permanently to that backsheet for some reason. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Crinklz Kat said:

The primary tape failure I have with Crinklz is with them not sticking securely.  Not sure what it is, but I suspect it's whatever type of inks used to print the cover.  Betterdry doesn't have the issue at all.   What happens is that the tape will "creep" over the plastic.  Lower ones always, sometimes top as well.  So, by morning, the lower tapes are essentially useless because they're either several inches away from where I originally fastened them or have come off completely.  I've tried going with just the primary tape, I've tried duct tape... nothing seems to stick permanently to that backsheet for some reason. 

Ooh, THAT'S interesting to know!  BetterDry have been unobtainium in Australia for months now.  My stocks are low.  When they DO come back into stock, the hints are we will wear an eye-watering 20% price hike (which will force me to re-evaluate my preferred brands).

I *was* considering risking my beloved's wrath (she hates nappies in general but particularly loathes anything overtly AB) by buying a backup case of Crinklz (believing them to have identical performance) but tape failure in a night nappy on a bedwetter is not a tolerable scenario ?

For what it's worth, my tapes rarely creep or fail on my Crinklz when worn at night while sleeping.  I guess being far less active at night is the reason.  I do get the right leg tape (and sometimes the left) loosening and popping off quite frequently while working from home (while only wearing the Crinklz and a t-shirt) but if I apply the leg tapes a little loosely and don't try to remove and reposition them they are more prone to last out the workday.  Early on I had the blue tapes on the legs fold back and start to roll up which caused the whole tape to slide back and lose surface area on the adhesive contact, ultimately leading to tape failure but this was when I was trying to tighten the legs of my Crinklz way too much.

It does happen if you pull on the tape too hard and bend or move around my best suggestion is not to pull the tap so hard and make sure (if you can) get the tape to go more on the pad and you getnly put the tape on JUST IN CASE you need to re adjust the tape before the final placement 

• Like 1

Ive had that happen many times. The issue lies in the construction of the plastic backing. Its the same type of plastic backing used in baby diapers. Great for children since they dont tug as hard as adults do but its just not strong enough to handle a adult.

A solution would be to do like Crinklz did before by using a front panel for tape locations. Or be like me and use duck tape lol