LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

AN: I am not an author. Most of my experience comes from extremely long running play by post games on first forums, and later discord. However, after a friend described a setting for a game, I had an idea that wouldn't leave me alone. This story is inspired by their idea of a transhumanist future, along with my own second hand knowledge of how alternate readings of holy books have led to drastically new religions popping up like biblical fanfiction in the late 1800s. The rise in technology into post scarcity would likely contribute to even more extreme ideology. This is the story, of one such convert.

Before we begin our tale, let me finish setting the stage with the following:

We are all Children, in the eye of the Lord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1: One Toddle from Eden

It is the year 2525, and mankind has long unlocked the secrets contained within our minds. With control over our minds, our bodies soon followed. Nowadays, even the most staunch traditionalists have a link installed. In the modern era, even the most normal of people can afford back up drives, replacement parts, and "upgrades" to live the life they wish. I was lucky enough to be a part of the first generation to experience a seemingly endless life.

Maybe that's why I fine myself smiling at the mobile above my bed on this, the morning of my one hundred and fiftieth birthday. In the grand scheme of things, it was a relatively recent addition. Yet in the months it has been there, I don't think I could ever sleep without it.

Not that that's something I'll ever need to worry about again soon.

I swing my legs over the side of my bed and stretch out as much as I could. A soft rustle hidden under my JayJay's Interesting Adventure pajamas is more than enough to let me know my training pants stayed dry overnight. Just two years ago to even think I'd wake up wet would probably cause me to react in abject horror.

How blind I was to the truth of our existence. Now I just find the sensation oddly fitting. It is the day of my final Purification. I doubt I'll get to enjoy the feeling of waking up dry again for a long time.

The sound of the door opening distracts me from my idle thoughts. "Good morning, little one. Are you excited for your big day?" My N.A.N.N.Y. spoke. Unlike most personal care automata, she was designed by the Great Work to seem a natural human being. She wore soft pants with a matching shirt tucked in. I could still recognize that they were a light blue. I smiled at her. I was so happy when the Great Work informed me I'd been Purified of my need to live independently. The day my Nan moved in was one of the happiest days of my life.

I barely had time to respond before she walked over to check my pull up. "I'm so excited I can barely stand it!" Indeed, I may have been making it hard to check me with how much I was bouncing in place. Not that Nan minded. She was one of the Neo Angels of our Lord. Part of the Great Work to see us to New Eden. She could handle me being to excited to sit still.

"I see someone had a dry bed this morning. Do you know what that means?"
She asked while taking a moment to move my bangs out of my face. She was probably thinking of how to dress me for my ceremony. I hope she did my hair in twin tails again, but I'm sure whatever she picks will be amazing.

Let her think about that boring stuff for me anyway; I've got way bigger things to think about. Such as, "Birthday Breakfast!" I cheered! Since I didn't need changing, that meant I could get right to the good part of my morning! I heard Nan giggle at my enthusiasm as I leaped off the bed and started heading for the kitchen.

After all, I've got a big day ahead. Wouldn't do without a good breakfast to start my day with, now would it?

~~~~~

Not entirely sure where I plan to head towards on this journey. Please feel free to point out typos though, I'm bad at editint

• Like 3

Your story repeats again after the "now would it?"  Is this an intentional choice or a formatting error?  

Content wise: I think there's some potential here with the information and narrative you've parceled out so far and curious to see where you take it.

Edit: As per your request to point out typos, (happens to all of us), I think the phrase you're looking for is "abject horror" not "object horror".

That... would be a typo of extraordinary proportions. It is fixed now. I will hunt down the other typo later, but thank you for pointing that out!

Also, you have no idea how much it means to hear you're interested

1 hour ago, kerry said:

A Zager and Evans fan? ?

Sadly, it seems to be a coincidence. Gonna have to look up the accidental reference though.

I do have more chapters written/plotted. So expect more sometime tomorrow

AN: I haven't said the main character's name yet, have I? Let's fix that.

Chapter 2: A Marathon From Eden

"Good morning Josiah! Judging by your heart rate and brainwave pattern, you have woken up enough for your morning update. You have three meetings regarding the fourth quarter releases at ten, fourteen, and sixteen hundred hours today. Weather shows mild overcast,  though the temperature shall remain in the mid to high sixties. Additionally, it is your one hundredth and forty eighth birthday. There is currently nothing scheduled for celebrations. If you wish to hear this message again, please say 'Repeat'"

I sighed. I really didn't need my virtual assistant to detail my schedule today. One hundred and forty eight years. The younger generations, the ones that haven't yet reached even their sixties don't understand the weight of so much time.

The weight is too much to bear some days. The reminder that all I had planned for today was work certainly didn't help either. I can still remember the days in my childhood when having a birthday was a time of celebration and joy.

Maybe that's my problem. I know a few people who've had most of their first forty years of life archived. Filed away to be revisited when desired. As I stare up at my blank ceiling, remembering the stars that once dotted it, I can't find it in myself to do the same.

Even on days like this; when time and responsibility keep me pinned to my bed. The idea of giving up the happiest days of my life seemed blasphemous in away. Even on days where I'd stay in bed all day just to escape.

Alas, theres no one here to get me up except myself. While the weight of responsibility holds me down, it's also the one thing to help me up some days. I slowly swing my legs out of my bed and stand up. I toss my sleep ware off to the side. Maybe a shower before work will help me wake up. I can grab a coffee on my way in today. No way I'll be able to get through without some form of caffeine.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Blah, blah, blah?"
"Blah!"

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten that coffee this morning. I haven't paid too much attention to what's been discussed. No matter how much arguing back and forth goes on, everyone here knew what would happen. Lots of key words and catch phrases thrown around on platitudes while no agreement is actually reached. We then wait a week, and then they take our contact to supply mining AI or whatever.

Honestly, you'd think I'd pay more attention to what my own company was selling. Yet all that was on my mind was how much I needed to pee. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I must have forgotten to take care of that after my shower. Now I'm just sitting here too annoyed and distracted to care about anything accept keeping my leg from bouncing like a child needing to potty.

"So we meet again next week to discuss the code needed to manage the project?"
"Agreed"

Finally it was over. Exactly as I called it even. I barely took enough time to thank everyone before leaving. Honestly, I would say the meeting was a complete waste of time but... I don't know what I would do if I wasn't here.

The moment I'm done using the restroom, I leave the bland corp lobby of the buisness I was at. How is it that we live in a world where holographic displays can show a near limitless variety, and yet every corp lobby looks identical. Beige walls, a few plants here and there, fake window showing a city high rise. Seen one, you've seen them all.

"V.A., find me the nearest dining establishment with the shortest line". Almost instantaneously the information appeared in my head. There was a synth-burger shop down the street that was having a slow day. Was normally pretty good food too, if pricey. Eh, why not. Not like I use the money on anything else. May as well treat myself.

Of course, the reason behind the short line is clear the moment I get near the vintage, early 2100s themed burger shop.

"Return to a life of Purity! Reject the corruption of age!"
"To archive your childhood is to remove the greatest blessing bestowed upon us."
"Return to Eden on Earth!"

Of course, it was hard to understand the last one through the pacifier in their mouth. I rolled my eyes, mostly ignoring them as I approached the store. The three overgrown children seemed to be shouting to all who could hear. A short distance away was one of their automata. I didn't understand how someone could be so willing to give up their lives to one of those machines.

One of the trio, a girl in a short pastel pink skirt overall thing approached me as I walked past. "Hey Mister! Got a thecond to hear about the great work?" In another time, I would say she appeared to be in her mid twenties. Back before the Second Medical Revolution at least. It was a description that didn't mean much nowadays, but some still used to define where they wanted their aging frozen at. I didn't have a choice back then, so I'm stuck in my early thirties give or take a few years.

An internal tangent that did not bother to stop yet another eyeroll at the girl's fake lisp. The Neo Edenites, or Eternal Children of the Lord as they call themselves, were generally harmless nuisances. Most people thought they were more than a little loony, and I happily count myself amongst that number.

And yet, something about her positivity, the sheer hope behind her eyes that someone will listen despite the people walking past makes me hesitate. Just because they were loons didn't mean they had everything wrong. Maybe it was because I'd felt so disconnected from my life recently. Maybe my world seemed grey and bland, and I wanted to see what this girl's more colorful life was like. Maybe I just wanted justification for my refusal to archive my childhood.

I'm not sure, honestly.

In the future, I'd look back on this moment with awe and reverence. The moment I began my path towards the New Eden. The moment I began to realize the futility of adulthood.

All I knew, is that without realizing, I replied with sarcasm heavily coating an earnest desire for answers.

"Why not?"

• Like 3

Good worldbuilding and parceling out more information.  Like how someone can be 148 and be frozen mid 30's etc. etc.

If you're in the mood for critique: My one thing I'd suggest you change, is find a sentence or two to make it clear that this is a flashback.  I figured it out quickly enough through context and title etc. but it took me a hot second to connect those dots.  "Even just a Two Years Earlier..." before the main stuff might help.   Also good use of technobabble to update us on certain things and world building and making it seem kafkaesque and boringly familiar through Josiah's eyes while using the two chapters to contrast against each other. 

We started media res when the main character is clearly in for a big change, this purification, but now you're pulling us back to at least hint that things were not always this way.  So I'm intrigued how you'll use the medium and format.  Shall we have a straight line from 148 to 150 and see how things went from boring old what's the point life to full on yaaaay NAN, or are we going to jump around the timeline to see how things compare and contrast asynchronously?  Or some blending of the two or a third option I haven't thought of.  

Either way, I'm intrigued.

I do appreciate the criticism! I was trying to be somewhat subtle about the time differences at first. Was hoping the chapter titles (Toddling to Eden vs A Marathon From Eden implying how when in the Journey Josiah is).

Also, one of those two options is much closer to what I'm going for. Of course, the journey is just as important as the destination. 

As always, im glad to see you're enjoying it! Chapters 3 and 4 are already written, I just want to give them some time before hand. 

At least one little one needs the perfect birthday breakfast after all

1 hour ago, BabySiras said:

I do appreciate the criticism! I was trying to be somewhat subtle about the time differences at first. Was hoping the chapter titles (Toddling to Eden vs A Marathon From Eden implying how when in the Journey Josiah is).

Also, one of those two options is much closer to what I'm going for. Of course, the journey is just as important as the destination. 

As always, im glad to see you're enjoying it! Chapters 3 and 4 are already written, I just want to give them some time before hand. 

At least one little one needs the perfect birthday breakfast after all

Then if that was a deliberate choice, I support that choice.

Everything is a deliberate choice. Even the choices we don't know we make.

Chapter 3: The Last Breakfast

I laugh as I rush passed walls covered in cartoon characters and sunny skies. Nan said it was the ideal environment for a little one to live in. I don't know about that. Personally I think the ideal environment world be a pool of ice cream, but I love it just the same.

As I enter the kitchen, I see that Nan went all out this morning. On the table in front of my seat was the most ginormous plate of pancakes I've ever seen. And above it? A giant, rainbow pattern with bright vibrant letters on it!

I may not be able to spell or read too well nowadays, but I don't need to to know that says happy birthday. I'm so happy that I freeze as I see it and it's just... I... it's overwhelming.

The memories are distant now. Echoes it's called, when you remember remembering something that was archived. Not that I was big enough to really understand what that meant anymore. How can you know something you forgot?

But I can remember waking up on my birthday to no one noticing. Just a list of things to do. Even last year, where I spent the evening at a playdate, I didn't quite have my Nan yet. LaLa gave her to me a few days afterwards. I remember feeling so lost, and alone that morning. I nearly left the Path that day. Nearly leaving everything good because of a misguided sense of shame.

I involuntarily sniffle as tears run down my face. I... I'm happy though. This is amazing and no one has ever done anything like this before and I...

"Hey, hey, it's alright. I'm here for you." Before I know it, I'm picked up into a hug. Soothing words are whispered as I cried into Nan's shoulder. It doesn't take long for her shirt to be damp with my tears. "It's okay. You're a good little one. Only grown ups hold it in when they want to cry." The floodgate only opened further at that, as I began to completely bawl my eyes out.

She gently pushed my favorite paci into my mouth and I quickly started suckling on it as the flood of emotions began flow away. This was the worst part of being Purified. I can't really manage my own emotions anymore. Being sad feels like the entire world is ending.

It's worth it though. When I'm happy, nothing in the world can bring me down. Nan says my smile is infectious.

For the moment though, I'm crying. For the echoes of the person I used to be. For the grownup who forced himself to be big for so long. For the life I suffered through.
"There there. Feeling better?" Nan asked as my bawling subsided in to mere sniffling. I nodded as I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Thank you, Nan." I said through my paci as she set me back down. I gave Nan another big hug and walked over to my chair. Already my earlier excitement was overcoming my last remaining sniffles as I looked at my pancakes.

I didnt get a good look at them before it seemed, as they were covered in fresh fruits. Bananas, and strawberries, and even some apple slices sat under a mountain syrup! Even better, they were real fruits too!

I yanked my pacifier out if my mouth and shoved it into a pocket. "Nan, this is amazing!" I exclaimed as I took my plastic knife and fork into my hands. I gripped my fists around them awkwardly, like how they taught me to hold them in daycare. I waited until Nan tied a bib around my neck before eagerly digging in!

After all, tonight Nan will be putting me in the high chair for the first time! I couldn't wait. We got it in a week ago, but Nan and my Big Sibling say it's only for those who have been completely Purified. I pouted, but they told me to enjoy my big kid privileges while I could.

Not that I really thought about it for long. I was too busy enjoying the breakfast of kings! Nan even filled my sippy cup with orange juice. Orange Juice!

Once upon a time, I could barely start my day without a cup of coffee. I don't know why though, that stuff is yucky. Just the thought of drinking it made me giggle at the idea of me or a different little one drinking the stuff. Course, this did mean some juice dribbled down my face, but that's what the bib is for anyway.

Soon enough, my pancakes were gone leaving my face covered in syrup and orange juice. I leaned back in satisfaction as Nan used a baby wipe to clean off my face. A full belly if good food was more than enough to quell the last of my earlier had mood.

"There, why don't you go play in the living room for a bit?" Nan didn't have to tell me twice. I eagerly slid of the chair and began to skip away to cartoons and toys.

Maybe it was because today was the day of my final Purification, or maybe it was because it was my birthday; but another echo came to mind. I never used to skip anywhere. Not once did I skip rather than walk or jog. What a sad life. Fortunately, I had my paci this time. Almost the moment I popped it in, the negative thoughts went away.

Inside the playroom, the holoview was already on with the opening jingle to JayJay's Interesting Adventures playing. I'd seen all the episodes at least three or four times.

Probably more honestly, but that's as high as I could count. Little ones like me didn't need to know numbers bigger than that after all.

As the theme played, I grabbed some of my blocks, and my JayJay dollie and plopped my butt down to watch.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Anything can be defeated through the power of friendship,  even you Potty Monster!"

"You say that now, but soon you will all fall to my WHIRLPOOL SUCTION"

"JayJay! Noooooooo!"

I reenacted the scenes in the episode using my dollie. This was one of my favorite episodes. JayJay and their friends are attacked by an evil potty while at sea and then they have to...

Actually, you have to see it for yourself. There are no words to describe how epic it is.

Anyway, my enjoyment of watching JayJay defeat the potty monster had would be interrupted by a sharp pain. Was that... oh... I had to go potty!

I groaned. The episode was just getting to the best part though. Plus, all my blocks were set up to look like JayJay's pirate ship and that took forever to set up.

The rules were clear though, training pants were for accidents only. Everyone in daycare knew that you had to find a N.a.n.n.y if you know you need to potty. It was a really dumb rule. Something about how it's the only thing we need to be responsible for or something. They always seem to know  if you have an accident or if you use your training pants on purpose somehow. We get in trouble if we use our training pants like diapers. It seems like a dumb rule, but trainers aren't diapers. The babies that have been fully Purified are so lucky.

You know what, though? It's my birthday, and its my Purification day! I'm not gonna be potty trained anymore soon, so why should it even matter?

With that irrefutable logic backing me up, what little control I had was forfeit. My training pants quickly warmed as I cheered along with JayJay on the holoview.

"Wow JayJay! I can't believe you let the potty monster swallow you so you could destroy it from the inside!"

"I did what I had to do Ava. Now the potty monster will never threaten you again."

"My hero!"

As Ava hugged JayJay on screen, I hugged my JayJay dollie too. After all, she helped me defeat my own potty monster!

"Josie! Bath time!" The holoview shut itself off at Nan's command. Perfect timing, the episode just ended anyway. I set JayJay on her makeshift ship and stood, my sodden trainer weighing down my pajamas. It was time to start getting ready for the ceremony.

"Coming, Nan!"

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Little Giammy said:

it seem very interesting. I would like very much that it continue

Well you're in luck, cause there's a chapter every morning til I run out of backlog or run out if story.

Whichever comes first

In the words of the immortal Hozier

"Take me to church"

Chapter 4: The First Steps To Eden

I practically flopped onto my couch the moment I got home. Happy Birthday to me, my gift this year was a crappy day it seemed. "V.A.: Order delivery, I'm too tired to cook." That last meeting had gone an hour over time, and for what? What even was the point in a mass market virtual intelligence designed to flip a switch?!

"Understood. Where would you like it from?" Ugh, why is it asking. Stupid thing is in my head, it knows I've spent all day listening to some of the dumbest things on earth. Not to mention that after my admittedly weird lunch it seemed like every little thing in the company need my personal attention.

"Pick something marked as a favorite, I genuinely don't care right now." Stupid virtual assistant. Why couldn't it see I was hungry and just, have the food? Sadly, there were limits to the intelligence of a V.A.. I could probably afford an automata that could do it, but that sounded like one more thing to boss around.

I was about to turn on the holoview when I felt a slight rustling. Oh yeah, that. I pulled out a small pamphlet I got at lunch.

The Eternal Children of the Lord Invite You to Play! It read across the top. It was made of the same hemp based paper that you'd find in traditionalist school rooms. Any other day I'd have just thrown it away thinking they were committed to some gimmick.

But... that little girl's story earlier...

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Thanks mister! As you may know, we believe that to be a child is to be as we were in the Garden if Eden, as our Lord originally cweated us. Honestly, I thought it was a bunch of doodoo before I joined in. But my life was so overwhelming, like everything was just grey all the time. Now I live in a world of color and joy. Have a flyer!"

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

She had been about to say more, but the paci kid had an accident. I should have been grossed out. Dude looked like he was supposed to be my age, but almost instantly the automata with the trio began to fuss over him. I wanna be grossed out by the accident; no, I should be grossed out by it. Its just... I... I might be... a tiny bit... je...

I shook the thought out of my head and I opened the pamphlet. The information inside mostly talked about the meeting on Saturday. Food would be provided, they'd talk about their history, answer good faith questions, and apperently a watch party afterwards for some new animated holofilm.

"Hey V.A., do I have anything scheduled Saturday morning?" I asked nonchalantly. Not sure why, not like it would judge me for being a bit curious.

"There is nothing scheduled until an early Buisness dinner. You are free until 16:30 in the afternoon. Would you like to add an event?" I thought about it for a moment. It would be over long before the dinner. I nodded, not trusting myself to say it out loud.

With that taken care of, I switched on the Holoview and browsed available shows. I idly clicked around, not really picking anything to really watch. At some point, the door rang with the food V.A. ordered.

Opening the bag, I found a plate of chicken strips and fries. Huh. Forgot that was on my favorites list. Surprised it's still open, but things never really die anymore. Still, must have been like thirty years since I last ordered it.

Maybe it was the earlier conversations, maybe it was the food I'd not had in years; but a random thought occured to me. I had no real reason to not do it, so may as well ask. "Hey V.A.. what shows are currently popular for children?"

The V.A. brought up a list of shows. JayJay's Interesting Adventures, MicroMechs, FoxHound Spy Agency, Our Hero School... the list was far too long.

"Actually, V.A.? Surprise me." I opened one of the packages of dipping sauce as the animated opening played.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I made it to the meeting just a few minutes before it was scheduled to start. Despite my V.A.'s insistence, I couldn't believe this was the meeting place until I passed by it three times. The 'church' that the meeting was being held in looked more like a glorified daycare than a place of worship.

Inside wasn't much different. Candy colored walls over soft, bright carpets that had clearly had plenty of stains added in and cleaned out. Parts of what I assume was a large playpen were pushed to the side, and a few stuffed animals and assorted toys had managed to find their way out of storage here and there. It didn't help that while there was only about twenty or so people here; most seemed to be dressed in the hyper childish manner that implied they were already members of this immature congregation.

"I knew I'd find you here." I jumped at the voice behind me. I'd been so focused on the environment that I didn't even notice someone sneaking up on me. Naturally, a girlish laugh followed at my minor fright. I turned, unable to keep a smile from showing on the edge of my scowl. It was the girl from a few days ago. Today she was wearing a tie dye sundress and a pink, unzipped sweater. "I'm Layla. Welcome!" The girl smiled and held out her hand.

Can't say I expected to be snuck up on like that, but I suppose it was nice to see the girl who invited me. "Josiah. So, is there any coffee here?" I asked her. It was still fairly early after all.

Of course, Layla shook her head. "Coffee is a grown up drink, so we don't therve it here. There's juice though." She pointed to a nearby consession stand. Huh, can't believe I missed that.

Also can't believe these over grown wanna be kids are able to be this peppy in the morning without coffee. Maybe they were right about some things.

"Why don't you go and take a seat. Big Sis is about to talk. I'll bring you some juice, kay!" Before I could object, Layla had already walked away. Well, I was thirsty anyway. Not wanting to disappoint my newfound friend, I walked over to the floor mats and prepared to listen to the sermon.

There were a few others sitting on the floormats in front of the stage already. The more childishly dressed ones were happily chatting together about one thing or another. I was happy to see two or three other guys like me in jeans and polos. One of them was talking to a woman in a sundress that also looked out of place. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one curious about this.

I didn't have long to wait after I took my seat for things to begin. The lights above flashed on and off once, which seemed to be a sign as all the 'children' still standing around quickly found their way to a mat. Layla quickly returned and handed me a surprisingly large juice box before sitting right next to me.

Eh, when in Rome. With a quiet thanks, I punched in the straw and took a sip and... wow. My eyes instantly widened. The taste was so vivid. So... real! I examined the juice box again, but i didn't see any sort of explanation on there. Only a picture of an apple. With only one expert on hand, I looked to Layla. "Is this real fruit juice?" Impossible. Had to be a bluff. No group, no matter how much they wanted to recruit people, would give away real juice like this. That stuff was incredibly expensive.

Layla was no help. Apperently, something about my face was funny, as my reaction only made her laugh. "Silly, what else would it be?" Which... no... no way. Before I could press her any more on this insane luxury,  she shushed me and pointed to a young woman walking onto the small stage.

Unlike the rest of the Edenites I've seen, this woman seemed to present herself in a way that most normal folk would call acceptable. She wore comfortable looking jeans and a pale blue button up shirt with a large sunflower on one side. Her hair was tied in a high ponytail. She gave off a vibe that just screamed 'high school babysitter'. Probably meant she was the 'Big Sis' Layla had mentioned.

"Good Morning my little brothers, little sisters, and all my little siblings!" The congregation applauded and cheered st that. "I also see we have a few newcomers. Whether you come again or not, let me thank you for a least coming to see the Path with open eyes and open hearts. I am Big Sister Katrina, or Sissy Kat, whichever is easier for you to say." Another round of applause, this one I even joined in on with much less enthusiasm than most of the people around me.

"Before we get to the scripture for the day, I want to talk about our way of life a little bit for those that are new. Let me start by saying I know how we look from the outside. I was once like you, looking in and laughing at the people that willingly become as children." A lot of the people around me nodded along, though the ones that were new like me seemed to look away for a moment.

"And then I came to my first sermon, much like you are now. Then I went to my second. Then my fourth. I made friends. I went to Playdates. I learned that this was a life to be celebrated. That we could return to a freedom that we gave away in the name of being 'mature', or 'responsible', or 'grown-up'.

I know some of you heard rumors that we modify our mind and archive our adulthood. Let me tell you that that is true. It isn't a secret to he ashamed of. In fact, most of my ability to process the world as an adult has been locked away. In all but the years I've lived, I am a teenager. Many of those around you have done the same. And I can tell you that none of us have ever been happier!" There was a roaring round of cheers at that. I'm not sure how to really feel about the information though. I mean, I'd heard the rumors, but I never believed them. Was it really not just an act?

My ruminations were silenced as the Big Sister continued speaking. "Now a quick announcement. For nearly a decade now, I have served as the Big Sibling, helping to guide you on your Path. One day I will rejoin my little siblings on the journey to New Eden. A day that's coming sooner rather later actually. In fact, my own Nan and I have already begun training my successor, who will be announced at our next full meeting early next month." She pointed to an automata wearing a light blue dress and a frilly apron. For some reason, Layla began sitting taller on her mat next to mine.

"Any of the newcomers that have questions about the path to New Eden are welcome to come ask me questions after the sermon, and before the film showing. I will happily share with you my own tales about my journey. Now, let me begin the sermon with a prayer. Those that know the words are encouraged to join in."

The Big Sister bowed her head. Around me, every one of her 'little siblings' did the same. Made it easy to see the others that were new. Most seemed to be feeling the same confusion and hesitance that I was.

"I am a Child of the Lord. To be free of responsibility, is to be made in the Great Caretakers' image. I embrace my childhood as my true self. To walk the path to New Eden is to to walk the path to true freedom." All the siblings spoke in unison with her. The big sister then raised her head as her automata created a holoview of their holy text. Even from down below the stage, I could see that there were just as many pictures as there were words.

"Today, I will read to you from the Book of New Genesis, as transcribed by our prophet, Dennis."

I'll admit, I tuned out much of the biblical reading. The pictures were very well drawn however. The automata would display them along with the reading to better show the story. Honestly, those stook out to me more than the words.

A child running free chasing after a friendly dog. A trio of friends eating ice cream in a park, pretending the bench was the edge of a great clock tower. A woman that mourned the loss of a childhood friend who'd grown cold and distant by the world. An unhappy man that looked longingly at the love and affection others seemed to get so freely. The images and the stories told if them were heart wrenching. It was so easy to see myself in so much of what was being presented.

"It's okay to cry." Layla whispered beside me. Before I could begin to deny the accusation, she lifted her hand and wiped off a tear that had somehow found it's way onto my face. "Crying is how the body is supposed to let its emotions flow."

I turned away from her. Maybe it was okay for her to cry, but I wasn't like her. I was a grown up. An adult. Am an adult. I am an adult, not was.

I wiped the tears from my face and listened to the sermon more closely. I took another sip of my juice box, letting the marvel of its flavor distract me from the feelings the images brought up within me.

If nothing else, I'd stay for the film. Would he nice to have something more light hearted after this.

• Like 4

Shorter chapter today, but the next ones should get longer as our favorite Edenite gets closer to both the end, and the beginning, of their Path.

Chapter 5: Preparing for the Ceremony 

My walk to the bathroom was nowhere near as giddy as my skip to the living room a bit ago. My paci kept most of the worry away, but despite my earlier logic; I still broke the rule. Maybe Nan will think it was just a real accident anyway?

Too late to turn back now anyway. I suckled on my paci for strength, and did my best to look as innocent and guilt free as possible.

An act I was distracted by the moment I saw bubbles in the bath. Ooo, they were strawberry scented too! I quickly threw my arms in the air for Nan to undress me.

An act I quickly regretted as Nan pulled down my pajama bottoms first. I didn't need to look to know that the stars had faded from it. My smile quickly turned upside down. No way she was going to think it was a really accident. "Sorry Nan." I said remorsely before she could comment.

Nan simply shook her head and look at me in a way that sent shivers down my spine, but in a good way. It was a look that told me everything would be alright. That I was loved, and this wouldn't change that.

"Josie, dear. You know you're still supposed to use the potty if you  notice you need to go."  I nodded, I broke the rule after all. My earlier justification died on my tongue before I could even take my pacifier out.

She stared silently at me for a moment, and I did my best to not wilt under her gaze. After what had to be an eternity (half a minute at the most), she finally spoke again.

"Do you still need to go potty before Iget you into the bath?" It was not an unusual question. I started shaking my head no, but as I thought about it, I realized I actually did still need to go. I just didn't need to wet. That must be why I didn't realize it earlier. Not wanting to answer verbally, I nodded eagerly, and waited for her to take my trainers off and set me on the potty. That was what normally happened before bath time at least. Which is why her next statement threw me off balance.

"Go ahead and potty little one." She made no move to remove my training pants. In fact, she even moved to block my access go the potty entirely! Was this a trick? Wasn't I in trouble for not using it already?

"But... aren't I sposed to try and use the potty?" I asked. I know I need to listen to Nan, but this also went against the rules! Nan place a hand comfortingly on my should and smiled softly.

"It's not going to matter any more soon, Josie. That rule is only in place for big kids. Are you a big kid?" I thought about it for a moment. It must have been a moment too long, as Nan asked another question. "Using the potty is one of the last responsibilities you little ones have. As of today, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Do you want to use the potty sweetie?"

Was she giving me permission not to? I was afraid to voice my answer. Saying it allowed would make it real. It seemed like it would be such an obvious yes. It was probably my last chance to use it.

But...

Diapers had been used as the carrot on the stick at daycare. When you're smaller you can use your diapers. The ones that had completed the Path were held up so much higher than the rest of it; the thought that I could treat my training pants as a diaper was hard to grasp.

So I stopped trying to grasp it. Nan didn't need to hear me answer. She already knew my answer, I'm the one that's taking time to figure it out. So I smiled. My earlier logic was right after all it seemed. For all rights and purposes, my training pants were a diaper now. There was no need to pretend otherwise anymore.

At that point I didn't need anymore prompting. I bent my knees slightly and started pushing. While this was far from the first time I'd had a messy accident, it's always so much different than when I just wet. I felt it spread out as my trainers struggled to stay up. Once upon a time, I hated it. I was such a tearful mess in more ways than one when it first happened. Now it just felt...

Liberating.

"Feeling better, sweetie?" Nan asked me. I was absolutely giddy. I no longer had any responsibilities at all. If this is what it's like after Purification, then I couldn't wait. I could see myself smiling goofily in the mirror. The sight just made me giggle even harder. "I'll take that as a yes. Let's get you in that bath now."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I sat on a stool in front of my bedroom mirror wrapped in a towel and another pair of training pants. At first I was disappointed it wasn't a real diaper, but then Nan assured me that it was until I got a real diaper, but I couldn't tell anyone. That made me giggle. It was like our personal little secret. Plus, if I pretend it's a diaper, that means I could use it like one if I needed to go potty again.

Which probably wouldn't happen. We're not allowed to have a big lunch before getting p
Purified. So here I sat as Nan brushed my hair. It's the longest it's ever been in my life, dyed a light blonde reminiscent of what I had the first time I was a toddler. I liked it. I couldn't remember why I wanted it short in the past.

Probably meant it wasn't that important.

"Hey Nan?" I asked as she started parting my hair into one... two... three? Ya, three parts. She must be going to braid it. Braids aren't as good as pigtails, but still really nice. She gestured for me to continue.

"Thanks for being my Nan." I meant it too. I know everyone had a Nan, but mine was the bestest. The automata chuckled at that. I know it was probably programmed to respond like that, but that sound always lifted my spirits.

"Oh sweetie, I'm the one who should be thanking you." She said as she began weaving my hair into the braid. "I was created by the Great Work to help take care of all the great Caretakers children. Without you I'd be no better than a toy on the shelf. Now, hop down, eyes closed, and arms up."

I did as instructed. In seconds I felt the silk that was used traditionally in the Purification ceremony. Each outfit was designed for each particular ceremony. I've been staring at my final Purification robes for a month now and I was so excited to wear it. I felt Nan's hands moving along the outside of my trai- no, the outside of my diaper as she fashioned the buttons together. My first onesie! I've so glad I finally get to wear it!

"Now, open your eyes."

I did, and I stared at my reflection in awe. For a moment, I didn't recognize myself. There was a beautiful red and white flower pinned to my hair. As much as I'd seen it in the closet, seeing my sea-green dress in the mirror was another thing entirely. The bottom drilled out into a lacy pattern that looked like the waves crashing on to the sand. I twirled, and the glimpse of the snaps designed to help hold up my diaper made me giddy. "It's so pretty!" I couldn't help but exclaim as I stared at myself in the mirror.

Nan hugged me from behind, my giddiness bringing a smile to her face as well. "Thank you Josie, for being the best little girl I could ever ask for. I'm so proud of the person you've become." I felt my eyes start to water again. I quickly turned and returned the hug, knowing that I was loved.

Eventually, Nan pulled away from the hug. She was probably trying to keep us on schedule. Probably a good thing. I'm glad I have her to be responsible for that. "Now, are you ready to go meet up with Big Sissy LaLa?"

I nodded. Big Sis LaLa was the best. I'm so happy she's the one over seeing my Purification.

• Like 3

To make up for the short chapter yesterday, how about the longest chapter in the story? As always, questions, comments, and typos are all welcome.

Chapter 6: The First Playdate 

Three weeks.

I could scarcely believe three weeks had already passed since I visited the New Edenites meeting. I won't say I'm a convert, but some of the things they said resonated with me.

I've been trying to find small ways to recapture some of the magic of that place. I watched more of JayJay's. The show was over the top and the plot lines were absurd. It had its charm though. The characters were likable, and I wouldn't really call myself a fan.

Just... as long as I ignore the shirt I have on under my sweater it will be fine.

"Ugh, What am I even doing?" I'd been pacing in front of a suprisingly nice apartment complex for at least half an hour now. I'm not even entirely sure why I accept that invitation. I only met the girl like, twice. And gave her my V.A. message box. And had a few conversations about JayJay lore with her.

She called it a Playdate. Said it was something that they do meet up outside of the monthly gatherings. She made it sound so special too.

I force myself to take a deep breath and stop pacing. I was going to go in there, say hello for a for long enough to be polite, then leave. Besides, she probably had to go to bed early for the next meeting tomorrow.

With that plan in mind, I began my march towards the door to the place.

Only to have it open before i could even ring the bell. Layla stood on the other side looking incredibly smug, "I was wondering how long you were gonna stay out there. Come in, My Nan's making dinner." She then took hold if my hand, literally skipping as she pulled me down the hall to her apartment.

What was it with this girl? Every time I met her she seemed to throw me off balance. In no time flat, she opened the door to her apartment. It was somehow both exactly what I expected, and nothing at all like I anticipated.

The first thing that hit me was the smell. No matter how long it's been, there's no forgetting what real chicken smells like when slow cooked. Which... wow. First the real fruit, now real chicken? I'm far from broke, actually fairly well off, but even I can't afford the sheer luxury of real meat. Yet the sheer delicacy of that couldn't hide the faint scent of ammonia. They must have done some deep cleaning recently.

The walls were covered in a mix of pictures of Layla and some of the other Edenites I saw at the meeting, and posters. So many posters: musical acts, paintings, and cartoons littered the walls. I tried not to react to the JayJay poster she had hanging up. Though I could maybe admit I wanted one for myself. Just to break up the monotony of my own walls.

Not because I was becoming a fan or anything.

I had expected to see more toys around, and while there were a few stuffed animals here and there; the apartment looked more like something one of my coworkers with a kid would live in.

"Coat rack's by the door. Nan said dinner will be ready for half an hour. So we got time to chat, or watch cartoons, or do whatever." Layla told me as she walked to a couch. She hopped over the armrest and left her legs dangling over it. Not wanting to keep her waiting, I shyly took my sweater and tossed it onto the coat rack. 

I'm sure I was blushing as I approached the couch. Layla's smirk as she noticed my shirt probably made it worse. Why did I wear this, this was just an impulse buy I was going to keep in my closet.

"So," Layla began, and i must say she had to have some shark in her DNA somewhere. She had the face of one that was circling it's prey. "Nice Shirt."

The shirt in question featured the titular JayJay posing for a camera. "Yeah well... nice overalls." I muttered out, not quite meeting her gaze.

"Thanks. Nan picked then out for me." Her smile didn't let up, even as she rolled backwards into a perfect sitting position. Which I admit, was somewhat impressive. Didn't even wind up for it. If course, she wasn't one to ignore a conversation. "You're a JayJay fan?"

I nodded my head. I didn't know why I was so embarrassed.  It's not like she would judge me for it. Didn't mean it was easy to admit out loud. She didn't give me time to continue my internal dialogue however. "Look Josiah, you seem tense. This is a safe place for you to relax and have fun. If you feel uncomfortable, or if it sounds like I'm teasing you; just let me or my Nan know. Okay?"

That... actually helped. I was still finding it hard to talk about any of this in such a personal setting. I nodded though, which Layla seemed to take as a reasonable enough answer. "Good, and don't worry. You're not the first shy guy I've had playdates with. Take a seat." She patted to the spot on the couch she'd been sitting prior to her impromptu gymnastics. "Why don't we just watch an episode of JayJay's Interesting Adventures while we wait for dinner?"

I resisted glancing back at the door. I was here to learn, and have a good time. If nothing else, Layla's words and her automata's cooking eroded away what resistance I had to staying.

"I'd like that." I said as I took the seat. Layla called up the holoview, and one of the early episodes I hadn't seen began to play.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Go JayJay! I'll hold them back!"
"But Abdul!"
"There's no time to argue, just go! And JayJay!"
*The heroine looked back go her new friend who'd already won a place in her heart*
"My friends call me Ava"

"Nooo, Ava! Don't do it!" Layla shouted from her spot next to me. It was a different experience watching the show with someone else. I'll admit, her energy was infectious. I'd been bouncing on the couch with her at all the excitement and drama unfolding before us. Of course, before we could see how Ava and JayJay got out of this situation, the holoview paused.

"Kids, dinner is ready." The automata called out from the kitchen.  Suddenly, it felt like I had been slammed back into myself. I wasn't a kid. Just because I was watching cartoons.

And cheering at the screen.

And I was at a Playdate.

This... this wasn't me. I owned a buisness. I grew out of this stuff over a century ago. If anyone saw that I was enjoying this stuff my career would be ruined, my employees left to rot, and, and, and...

And there's a soft hand on my shoulder. A voice telling me to breath slowly. I try and listen, and I'm able to get my breathing back under control. My distress fades only to more embarrassment. I haven't had a panic attack like that in decades.

I look over to thank Layla for helping me calm down but... it's not her hand I see. The automata stood over me in what I'm now assuming is their normal uniform. My thanks freezes on my tongue. It didn't seem to notice, as it began to speak. "There now, my child. I detected you were in distress. Are you feeling better?" It was the first time I'd really heard one of them speak. The technology was amazing as the mouth of the machine accurately moved with the words it said. Its voice what had to be the definition of matronly. It simply sounded... safe.

I nodded again. Inwordly, I chided myself for not saying anything out loud. First Layla, now her automata. What was it with this place and making feel like a...

Like...

Well, like a shy child.

And why wasn't I minding it?

"Good. I like to hear all little boys and girls in my care are happy. I detect you have a V.A.. Would you like me to upload techniques for managing panic attacks to it?" That was... actually not a bad idea. Once more I nodded, leading the automata to smile. "Very well. Why don't you go join Layla in the kitchen, and I'll prepare the upload."

With that she helped me stand and pointed me off to the kitchen. I wasn't sure if I wanted to face Layla after that little episode, but I suppose she needed an explanation.

I walked to the kitchen with my head low. Layla was preparing our plates with the smile I'd become so used to seeing on her face gone, replaced by a furrowed brow that made her seem so much older than she normally presented herself. I coughed into my hand to get her attention. "Hey," o said, like that could encompass my complicated feelings.

She turned to look at me, wringing her hands together. I wasn't much better, standing on the opposite side of the table shuffling my feet. Finally I spoke.

"I'm sorry"
"I'm sorry"

We looked at each other, having both spoken at the same time.

"No, I'm sorry"
"No, I'm sorry"

"I shouldn't have"
"I shouldn't have"

"Wait, let me go first"
"Wait, let me go first"

We both stopped talking and glared at each other for a moment, before Layla's frown was clearly trying to contain laughter. I was also doing much the same truth be told. We stared each other down like gunslingers in the cowboy myths.

"Listen, I"
"Listen, I"

And that was it. Serious moment was gone as the first giggles burst from Layla's chest. My own chuckles quickly followed, and both ramped up exponentionally into full blown laughter.

After a minute or so, we calmed down enough that Layla was able to grab our plates and set them on the table. Ultimately, she was the one that broke our post laugh silence first.

"Look, I'm sorry. Before you try and apologize, I've been coming on a bit too strong." She grabbed some normal glasses out of the cabinets, though I did spy what seemed to be plastic cartoon cups tucked away. "You're still not even on the Path, and I'm practically throwing you in to the deep in. Nan calling you a kid is what did it, right?" I nod and take a seat. "Thought so. How about this then," she set a cup of some sort of juice next to my plate and sat down on the opposite side of the table. "Let's do some q and a. Go ahead and ask me whatever you want, and I'll answer it."

This conversation was not going at all like I expected. A sigh escapes me as I realize just how many things haven't gone as expected today. I stare at my food, which is some sort of slow cooked chicken and vegetables, and only one question comes to mind. "Is this food real?"

Apperently I asked at the wrong time, as Layla nearly choked on a drink of her juice. "Wow, yeah, actually." She coughed into a napkin and wiped some juice from her lips. "Its in line with the Great Work's plan. We only eat real foods as much as possible."

"Really?" She nods. "Isn't that expensive?"

"Yup! But that's why we have the Great Work." She explained, though that didn't really explain anything. The Great Work had been mentioned in the sermon I went to but...

"What is the Great Work?" I asked. Layla took a moment to chew as I could practically watch the gears turning inside her head.

"The Great Work is..." she stopped for a second, "The Great Work is everything that helps us live on the Path to New Eden." She points at the Automata in the other room. "It's what manages our N.a.n.n.y. automata. It handles our funds, and makes sure all live comfortably as we walk the Path. It's the collective parents of all us Children of the Lord."

"A giant hedge fund then." That made sense to me. Explained how they could afford all of the real food and not just the synthetic stuff. Honestly, this was practically five star restaurant cooking here. The food alone was almost enough for me to want to join the Path.

Layla just shrugged in response though, so I figured that would be enough of that line of questioning. "Not to sound offensive or anything but you're a lot more..." mature? Adult? It was hard to find the right word, but it seemed Layla already knew what I was implying.

"Eloquent?" She offered. I shyly nodded as I ate some more of the food. "That's because I'm not as far along on the Path as some of my Siblings. I was honestly playing it up a bit when I handed you the flyer. Some people rush to New Eden once they get their first taste of it. Others, like me and Big Sister Kat take our time on the road."

That made sense. To be fair though, that wasn't the thing that stuck out the most about that day. Plus, I knew some of the rumors about the Children that I had to ask. "On that day, one of the people with you-"

"Pissed his pants?"

"I was going to state it a bit more delicately than that." I grumbled out. Which just made her laugh again. "Do all of you... you know..." she rolled her eyes at how I danced around the question.

"What, pee ourselves? Have accidents? Lack potty training? Need diapers?" I think my face got redder the more she spoke. Of course, that had what was quickly becoming a typical result.

"It depends," she started, putting me out of my misery, "everyone who's completed the Path is completely incontinent. But it varies person to person. Some people end up needing protection day and night after their first Purification, some use the potty all the way to the end."

Without thinking my eyes glanced down to where her waist would be under the table. It was only for a minute, but it was clear she noticed. "Before you ask, I don't need protection during the day. I am a bedwetter though. Nan makes sure I'm wearing protection every night." She seemed proud of that fact.

I couldn't imagine ever imagine being proud of such a thing. Just thinking about made me feel...

(Jealous)
(Curious)
(Small)

Humiliated.

Definatly humiliated.

I shook those errant thoughts from my head and focused on the food. Layla thankfully didn't interrupt my thoughts and let us eat in silence for a few minutes. I had one more question though. One last thing on my mind I wanted to know.

"Why did you join the path?" For once, Layla was the one that hesitated, her fork pausing halfway to her mouth. She set it back down on her plate for a moment.

"It's complicated." She took a drink of her juice as she put thoughts to words. "When I was young, like actually young. Not even twenty yet, my mother died. Yes, it doesn't happen often, but people still die in the age of immortality we live in." Either shock was written plain on my face, or she had to deal with that response. I was about to say my condolences when she continued. "It was almost fifty years ago now, but I still miss her. I lived with my dad after, but he never new what to do with me. Moment I hit thirty was the last time I ever saw him."

She stopped long enough to finish the bite I'd distracted her from. "After that, I bounced from job to job. Just going through the motions in life. I thought all there was to life was to just be productive until the next day.

Then I ran into a group asking people to come to the next meeting. They showed me there was more to life. That I could be happy, and loved. That I could have a family again. After three or four meetings, I asked the Big Brother in charge of our group to Adopt me into the family. A year later I met my Nan. We've been together about five years now. And before you ask, that's actually a long time to be where I am on the Path. But nothing makes me happier than seeing all my brothers and sisters find their own roads. Can I tell you a secret?"

She leaned closer to me. I was so invested in her story that I didn't notice I had done the same. "Big Sister Kat is going to announce it tomorrow, but I'm going to take her place as she resumes her own Path towards our New Eden. The meeting after next, I get to perform the first Purification rite she's had in a decade."

"That sounds," I struggled to find the words. It was easy to connect with her story. My own parents had passed before the age of immortality had begun. One of the last of the dying, only missing out by a small handful of years. So much of what she said...

(I could have a new family)
(But I'd be giving up everything I've worked for)
(But it could be worth it)

"That sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm happy you've found something that helps you." Was all I could say.

I don't know if she could read my mind somehow, but she reached for my hand across the table. "It could help you too, ya know." She gripped my hand supportively, before returning to her dinner.

I really had nothing else to say or ask at that point. We ate in silence for a few moments until our plates and cups had emptied. She then stood and took my hand. "Come on, Nan handles dishes during Playdates. Let me show you something."

At that moment, I realized something. We were the same in so many ways. I had felt lost in a grey world for so long, and this woman... no, this girl had all the answers I'd needed for so long.

I don't think there's anywhere I wouldn't follow her.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Welcome to my art studio and bed room." Layla waved me inside like how a child would imagine a butler opening the gates to a mansion.

I couldn't help but let out an involuntary "Wow" as I walked in. While there was a bed with what I assumed had once been white sheets, stacked against one wall was an array of paintings with all sorts if subjects. They ranged from animals, to people, to clothing, to what looked like fan art from a show I didn't know. Next to the paintings was a desk covered in art supplies.

"Everyone who sees it has the same reaction. I've thought about having Nan help me turn my guest room into an art studio, but I'd just end up sleeping in there." Layla explained as she walked over to the desk. "Fortunately, Nan can get it off the walls. I can be a bit messy when I get hit by an idea."

I was still distracted by all her paintings. Still, the walls did look like they'd been hit by numerous stray drops of paint. "You did all of this yourself?" I asked, and she nodded. Some of these were really well detailed.

"Would you believe me if I said I could barely paint before I started on my Path?" I looked at her at that. I wanted to say no, but she had been so sincere the entire time I'd been here.

"Its something I never bothered with when I was a grownup. I didn't see the point in doing it if I wasn't good enough to start. The fact that I didn't know how to make the few ideas in my mind come to life on a page not me from learning." She explained, "but without the grownup part of me that had its idealism, and its willingness to do things not because I was good at it, but because I enjoyed it. Well, just look."

And I did. It was beautiful. There was a fox chasing its tail in a verdant field. Children playing on a playground. I look through her paintings until one made me stop. It was a silhouette of a man in gray. The empty shadow was defined by an explosion of color that seemed to stop just before reaching the poor subject. The man in the painting looked so sad and depressed despite the lack of detail. I got the sense he would be so much happier if he just let the color in.

"Right, well," Layla said, knocking me out of my train of thought. "Were you gonna come to the meeting tomorrow?" She looked so hopeful that I'd say yes. It was something I'd be going back and forth over in my mind since the last one.

I looked back at the painting again, and I knew my answer. I didn't want to be that man in gray. I wanted to live in Layla's world of color.

So I nodded. Apperently, that was the right answer as Layla instantly ran over and hugged me. "Awesome! Ita gonna be so much fun! Ooh, why dont we make this a sleepover. That way we can go together!"

"But I don't have my sleepwear." Was the only response I had to the hug and the question. It had come so far out of left field, that I hadn't been expecting it. It was only after I spoke that I realized I hadn't said no.

A fact Layla seemed to quickly pick up on. "No worries, I have extra!" She let go of me and leaped to the door to her closet. Throwing the door open, she moved some clothing around to show off a collection of pajamas. I didnt even realize it was possible to have more than one or two sets.

Nightgowns, full body sleepers, tops and bottoms sharing hangers; all of it was color coded too. Layla quickly grabbed one of the big sleepers that looked like a purple unicorn. She then pulled a bag of a shelf I didn't see.

Across the side in large letters read 'SleepWells'. Those must have her... protection. She must have noticed I was staring, as that shark-like smile returned to her face. She was planning something. She tossed the bag onto the bed and reached inside. After grabbing one from the it she winked at me for some unknown reason.

"I'll go get dressed in the bathroom. Feel free to pick out anything to sleep in." She flung the sleeper over her shoulder and waved at me with the SleepWell. By the time I thought to get a word on edgewise she was gone.

Well, since I'm stuck at a sleepover now, may as well pick out something to sleep in. I admit there was a small, extremely, super tiny part of me that was having fun being spun in circles by this girl. With a smile on my face, I started shifting through the outfits. Fortunately, there wasn't too much of a size difference between us, so I shouldn't have an issues fitting anything.

I was just about to pull out a relatively tame two piece set when I saw it from the corner of my eye. I quickly moved through to look at the nightgowns and there it was: an almost perfect recreation of JayJay's nightgown from episode 30 "Fistfights at Bedtime". I pulled it out of the closet for a better look. The detail was incredible, from the pale orange waves near the bottom to the gradient into the dark blue starry sky at the top. It even had the piece sign on the back.

I looked between the nightgown and the two piece set I had originally picked out. Was I really considering this over that? I mean... she probably wouldn't laugh at me for it. And she did say I could wear anything.

My hands move on auto pilot as I set the gown on the bed. I almost feel like I'm watching myself move. The button on my pants come undone and fall to the ground. I feel my shirt remove itself more than I feel myself take it off. I stand before the nightgown in not but my underwear when I realized that I set the gown next to the open bag of SleepWells.

I don't know what possessed me to pull one out of the bag. It was thinner than I imagined. Softer too. They were a pale pink with rainbows and hoof prints up and down the center. I set it down next to the gown and stared at it.

I...

I couldn't...

I didn't...

"Josiah! Nan's making dessert!" Layla's shout snapped me out of my fugue state.

"Be right there!" I shouted back. Then I...

I got dressed for bed.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I laid down on the bed in Layla's guestroom. Idly my fingers rubbed the hem of my gown. Despite the emotional turbulence of the Playdate, I had a lot of fun. Nan's dessert was the best I've ever had. All Layla had to say about my choice was that it looked good on me. That made me smile again.

I'm not sure why. I don't think ive ever really looked good in anything. The gown was really comfortable. I don't think I could bring myself to get something like this though.

I wish I could though.

I yawned. It had gotten late, and we had to be up early for the meeting. I pulled the covers over myself and got comfortable. I stared up at the mobile that hung above the guest bed. I watched it dance in it's small circle for a moment before I shut my eyes. Soon all that would be heard will be soft snores, and a slight rustle as a nice about in my sleep.

As consciousness faded and I entered the land of dreams, one final thought appeared in my mind. One that settled a decision I hadn't realized I'd been contemplating.

I wish Layla could be my Big Sister, too.

• Like 5

I like the concept, but find some logic holes in it.

Why for instance do they wish to give up knowledge? Isn’t it possible to just unlock their emotional side & “inner child” without giving up their “adult” skills?

Also, who does manage The Great Work? If going through Purification means, among other things, progressively giving up responsibilities, then who makes choices for the Church? I suspect there’s an A.I. beyond everything. That, or maybe Purification is not the final destination and, after some time as Babies, Purified persons are allowed to become adults once again.

That would explain why Katrina said that Edenites do “archive” their adulthood memories, and not delate them. Maybe, after experiencing Purification, those memories, together with the knowledge and skills acquired in a lifetime’s span, are given back together with responsibility.

In order in manners that dont give all the answers:

Theoretically Yes. That also is in many ways what the Big Siblings do. However, is is generally discouraged through social treatment. 

The Great Work is a massive AI network creates by the founder of the church to Learm From and care for the people within. Every Archived person gives it the skills and knowledge they had in life. Every Nan is controlled by it. It is, in essence, the children's parent on earth.

Or for a different example, its CelestAI

We're nearing the end of the Path. Before I get today's chapter, i just want to say thank you. It's been a long week, and I'm not normally an author. Thank you for following along, and I hope these updates have brightened someone's morning. All that's left now is the end, and the beginning. So let's begin the ending before we end the beginning. 

Chapter 7: Last Rites

Nan led me by the hand to our car. Normally we could just walk to the local meetings or daycare days. Well, Nan would walk. I had a special stroller that was super comfy and had room for my favorite stuffed animal in it so I had it during naptime at daycare.

Today was a super special meeting. It wasn't often one of the Children would undergo the Final Purification. I was only the second one of the year, right after Kitty! I couldn't wait to play with her again once I reached the end of my Path. Its hard to believe that she was the Big Sister at my very first meeting.

Of course, I wasn't the person I was then either.

Once we reached the car, Nan opened the back seat for me. There, in all its glory, was my special car seat. I pouted so much when Nan told me I couldn't sit in the normal car seats like a big kid anymore. I can't remember why I complained though, the car seat had everything!

I hopped into the plush seat and let Nan buckle me in. She guided my arms through the loops, and buckled them into the latch between my legs. No matter how many times I see her do it, I still have no idea how it works. I squirm happily as she sets a sippy cup into the built in cup holder.

My smile is enough thanks for her as I quickly bring the cup up to my mouth. I stop paying attention at that point and focus on the delicious apple juice in the cup. Slowly, the world outside the window begins to move.

Nan turns on the radio and let's the sounds of nursery rhymes fill the air. I happily continue suckling down my drink as the comforting songs, soft seat, and gentle rocking of the car lulls me into an early afternoon nap.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Josie, hey Joooossssiiieeeee." I roll my head away from whoever was trying to wake me. I was in the middle of helping  beat the potty monster, I couldn't wake up now.

Alas, twas not to be, as whoever was trying to wake me moved from calling my name to gently shaking me. Sleepily I opened my eyes and glared at whoever woke me up.

Big Sis Lala just gave me the same laugh she always gave me. "You'd be scarier if you weren't sucking on your thumb, Josie." Wait, I was? I cross my eyes trying to see. Huh, what do you know. I left in in there cause it felt good to do, which was enough for me.

Lala moved so that my Nan could get me out of my carseat. I felt her finger check inside my training pants diaper. "Looks like someone needs a change before the Purification." She told me as I hopped out of the car. I smiled at the news. Waking up dry was good, but waking up wet was better. It reminded me of how much I needed my diapers, and how much I needed my Nan.

"I figured she would. Go ahead and use the changing room. I'll give her the talk afterwards." Lala said to my Nan. She then gave me a quick hug, which I happily returned. "Be good for your Nan. I'll be right there, I just need to get a few things ready for my favorite Little Sister." With that and a wave, she jogged off into the building.

I watching her go as Nan took my free hand and walked me I to the bedroom. Layla had taken to be a Big Sister so well it was amazing! She was so good at reading to us, and she always made sure to all the different voices. I know she needs to continue walking her Path some day, but even when she's Purified like me, she's still gonna be my big sissy.

We didn't have far to go. While I'd been to this building before to watch a few other Purifications, normally I'd go to the playroom for those furthest along the Path. I remember going to another room my first time here where the biggest children could hang out, but that was forever ago.

Of course, I was brought to neither of those rooms this time. Nan led me down a hall I'd never been to before. The walls were covered in the pictures of those that had come before me. I subtly stood straighter and waddled with pride. Soon I'd would join those that had been fully Purified, and returned to to the Paradise known as New Eden.

Soon Nan opened a door into a small room. All that really seemed to be inside was a wooden changing table with a soft top decorated with baby cartoon characters. I looked around at the mostly plain room, content to continue sucking my thumb as Nan lifted me onto the chaging table.

From my position looking upwards, I smiled as I saw the ceiling was full of stars. I almost didn't notice Nan unbuttoning the onesie until I felt it start tugging on my shoulders. It tickled. I liked it! After my Purification I would have to ask Nan to get me more of them.

I shivered in the cold air when Nan ripped apart the sides of the training pants diaper that I was wearing. The cold wipes she began didn't help. "Cooold," I complained, which only served to make Nan shake her head good naturedly.

Once she deemed me suitably cleaned, I was expecting her to set me on the ground to step into my next pair of protection. When I felt the baby powder begin to get sprinkled on to me, I took out my thumb and looked up at Nan. I was about to ask her what she was doing before she pulled a pacifier from her pocket and held it in front of my mouth.

Ooh, it was my favorite color too! My line of thought was lost as I took the paci and eagerly began suckling it. My smile behind its shield only grew wider when I saw Nan take a real diaper out from under the table.

"Oh? Is someone ready for their first diaper?" Nan teased. Of course, I eagerly nodded in response. I couldn't see because of the dress, but I could certainly feel it as she lifted my legs into the air. She sat me down onto a cloud. She pulled it up between the legs, and I was lost in bliss.

I already felt closer to New Eden than I ever had before. Nan slowly connected each button, functionally locking me in to my diaper.

Not that I wanted out. This was the life I chose for myself. Soon, I'd never need to make another choice ever again.

"There we go, my precious little one. Are you ready to talk with your Big Sister one more time?" I nodded, to happy to be able to speak. Nan didn't bother to set me onto the ground, and instead picked me up into her arms. She carried me through the door opposite of where we came in, and carried me to the last even remotely grown up conversation I'll ever have.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Hey there, Josie." Layla wore what I now knew to be the traditional outfit of Big Siblings everywhere. Comfortable blue jeans, a t-shirt tucked in, and on the ground nearby was a diaper bag kept stocked for any Little Siblings that might need it.

Personally, I think she looked better in the tye die overalls of our first meeting. Maybe our Nan's could have us match once she reaches New Eden too. Just the thought makes me smile.

"Hello Lala!" I run over to give her a hug, which she returns with equal enthusiasm. She walks me to a nearby bench where we sit down together.

"So, Final Purification. How does it feel knowing New Eden is just through that door?" She pointed towards a plain door that was still opposite the one from the changing room. It only now occured to me that I've on in an almost perfect straight line since arriving here.

"Excited. Maybe a little bit nervous." I admit. After all, each Purification was a huge deal, and this was a bigger one than most. Each time I get Purified, I leave more of myself behind. I know it's what I want, but the process is always equal parts liberating and terrifying.

It's just after this, there will be nothing left to give.

Layla gave me another small hug for comfort. "It's okay to be nervous. I want you to know that I'm so proud of you for coming so far. You were so sad and lifeless when I first saw you. Now look at you," I blushed at her compliments. I didn't need to look at myself to know what she saw though.

Once upon a time, I was a depressed small business owner that went through the motions of life. Now, I'm an adorable little girl in a world of sunshine and rainbows. All it cost me was my potty training and independence.

A worthwhile trade in my opinion.

"Thanks, Lala. We... we'll still have Playdates right?" I asked shyly. I didn't want her to think I was leaving her behind. I didn't want to lose my connection to the person that changed my life for the better.

"Is that what you're worried about?" I nodded. "Well, I can promise you, that I'll have our Nan's schedule us a Playdate as soon as I can." I relaxed at that. Knowing we would still have our Playdates was one of the few things I was worried about.

I looked over at the door. I'd walk through several lime it before, but never this one. Once I stepped inside, the Purification process would be done. Whatever was waiting for me beyond that would never be a concern again.

Layla coughed in to her hand to get my attention back. "Alright Josie, one last thing to do." She pulled a small recording devise put of her pocket. I took a deep breath and readied myself.

"This is a recording of the Pre-Purification Rites for Josie Smith. I, Layla Rodriguez, do solemnly swear and attest to her following statement prior to the Purification as dictated by our laws, both internal and external." I sat up straight in my seat, taking comfort from the fact that it was my Lala that was reading my last rites.

"Josie Smith, Please repeat after me. I, Josie Smith..."

"I, Josie Smith..."

"Acknowledge the risks of this procedure; including loss of memory, and loss of mental and physical capabilities."

"Acknowledge the risks of this procedure; including loss of memory, and loss of mental and physical capabilities."

"I acknowledge that I will be legally considered an infant child, and will forever be a Ward of the Children of the Lord."

"I acknowledge that I will be legally considered an infant child, and will forever be a Ward of the Children of the Lord."

She nodded her head. The time for me to seal my fate had come at last. I'd said various versions of the previous statements before, and I knew well what followed.

"I, Layla Rodriguez, solemnly swear I have not forced these agreement onto Josie Smith in any way, shape or form.

Josie Smith, a reminder that no one will judge you for backing out now. The Path can be completed only when it's time, and only when you say it's time. Are you determined to see the path to its end?"

"I am." This was it. My excitable voice began again. I smile, as the recorder was probably picking up the wonderful crinkling noise my diaper was making.

"Do you consent to letting yourself be Purified of the last remaining traces of maturity you once held?"

"I do!" With that, my final chance to back out was null and void. My fate was truly sealed now, and I couldn't be happier. Layla smiled at my excitement as she pulled out a special key. This was it.

"Let the record show that on the date tied to this recording, Josie Smith has agreed to the Final Purification Procedure. I, Layla Rodriguez has witnessed it in my roll as Big Sister to her." With that, she turned off the device. She stood, twirling the key to the Purification chamber in her hand.

"Ready?" I nodded, by far too excited to speak. As she did on that long ago day of our first Playdate, she took my hand and les me to a door that would change my life.

Layla waved the key in front of a panel, and the door slid open to reveal a dark room. "I'll see you on the other side." She said, and with one last hug, she walked out the door I came in from. I was left alone with my destiny.

I smoothed out my dress, and stared into the void. All hesitation to the process was left behind long ago.

I took my final steps into New Eden, and the door to the life I had before shut behind me.

• Like 5

The end of Josie's story has come, so too must the end of Josiah come. One chapter remains, and I thank all you wonderful babs out there who have been reading along. 

Chapter 8: Adopting the Path

I sat on the same mat that I sat on nearly a month ago. Seeing as I came over straight from the Playdate, I was back in my jeans and my JayJay shirt. I did wish I had some clean underwear to change into. Sadly, I had to put the pair I had yesterday back on.

A small part of me reminded me there was an entire pack of clean underwear I could have taken from. I doubt I would have been the only one wearing something like it here.

My thoughts were interrupted as Big Sister Kathrine took the stage. Layla stood just off to the side, her automata whispering something to her to help keep her nerves down.

"Good Morning, all my little siblings! I spy a few of you I first met last time, and let me just say welcome back. We welcome you regardless on if you decide to join us on the Path or not." Kathrine seemed to look straight at me as she said that, though it was probably my imagination. Probably. She continued, "Now before we get to today's sermon, we have some important news to go over."

Kathrine waved to Layla, "I am proud to announce your new Big Sibling! Everyone give a round of applause for Big Sister Layla!" Big Sister Kathrine led the congregation in a round of applause, one which I happily joined in. I hadn't known her for long, but it was clear that Layla was excited to take on the roll of Big Sibling.

I watched her skip up onto the stage next to Kathrine. The two hugged briefly. "Thank you so much, Sister Kat. I look forward to helping you, and all of our Siblings on their Paths." Another round of applause from all the Children in attendance. Big Sister Kathrine walked to the edge of the stage once again.

"I've been your Big Sibling for a decade now, and I'm ready to rejoin you all on the Path. This will be my final sermon. Next time you see me, it will be at the celebration of my next Purification. Now," Kathrine's Nan approached and activated the holoview. I didn't recognize the images on it from my previous time in attendance, and I was too far to read it from here. "Let my time as your Big Sibling end with the tale of the First Travelers as told in the Book of Joan."

Unlike my previous time at this gathering, I was determined to do more than look at the pictures and listen. This time, I'd actually do my best to pay attention, and take these words to heart.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

The year was 2400, fifteen years into the Age of Immortality. As old doctrines began to lose meaning my friends and I began our search for our own meaning. The world was under going a rapid change, and we struggled to find our place within it. Dennis and I found ourselves particularly lost, longing for simpler times.

That's when we met him. The First Child of the Lord and his Marvelous Machine.

With the weight of forever looming, we latched upon his words to listen to wisdom from the mouth of a born again Child.

As I stand ready to join the First Child, I gaze upon the Marvelous Machine and contemplate the Great Work, I look back on those first days.

As confusion turned to certainty. As wisdom was revealed to be ignorance. As the Path forward was found by walking backwards.

I stand now ready to contribute to our great work. May it learn from us, and may it care for us. In giving it the wisdom of my now eternal life, may it watch over us all until we are ready to grow again in the hands of our Lord. - Book of Joan 8:25

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Kathrine's automata shut off its holoview. Kathrine herself held her head down in prayer, as did many of the Children around me. "My siblings who have already given some or all to the Great Work, all of you recall the feeling. The warmth that fills within you as the Great Work takes what we so willingly sacrifice. It is my time to do as Joan did, as Dennis did, as the countless others who have followed them have done. In two weeks, Sister Layla will take my mantle, and deliver onto me my Last Rites." Everyone stayed silent as she spoke, and waited breathlessly for her next words. Even I was leaning forward, waiting to hear what was coming next.

"Sister Layla, thank you.  I know you will do wonderful. I apologize that my last sermon was so short. However, that does mean the festivities can commence." Kathrine signalled her automata once again. It clapped its hands, and more automata began pushing trays covered in muffins, cookies, and other delectables into the main room of the daycare.

"Eat, Drink, and be Merry my siblings; for the end of anyone's tenure as a big sibling is a day to be celebrated!" With that call, all the children let out a cheer and began running for the various treats.

I myself made sure I got one of those amazing juice boxes. One of the muffins. As I'd come to expect from food made by and for the Children, it has real apple pieces inside.

While a lot of the Children were hovering around Layla giving her congratulations or talking with Katherine; a large majority of the thirty or so in attendance today were talking with each other. I overheard conversations about the latest cartoons, talks about which pre-inmortality super heroes would win in fights, and one girl complaining that she had to get store brand instead of SleepWells recently. Generally though, everyone was happy around me. There wasn't a single sad face around as the air was filled with laughter and joy.

"Hey there," a voice spoke beside me. This time, I only jumped a little bit. I was getting used to the Children sneaking up on me. I looked over to see that it was Big Sister Kat who had approached me. "Dollar for your thoughts?" She held up a single piece of paper money from a board game I didn't recognize.

"Er, yeah. I'm just... thinking." I seemed to be doing that a lot recently after all. "Everyone here just seems so much more, I don't want to say alive but..." I trailed off as a better word to describe the people I was surrounded by.

Kathrine nodded sagely at my words, "No, it's okay. I get it. It's one of the reasons I'm resuming my Path actually." She looked over the crowd with me for a moment.  Neither of us spoke, simply enjoying the festivities around us.

Eventually, though, I had to break the silence. A question had been on my mind all morning, and there was no one better to ask. "How did you know?" Kathrine let out a hum at my question.

"How did I know what?" She responded. I think she knew what I meant though, judging from her smile.

"How did you know you were ready to join them?" I asked as I watcher an impromptu gymnastics competition spring up between a few people.

Kathrine was quiet as she thought of a good answer. "Well, I suppose I was tired of being left out." She said as she watched the same group I was, "When you're a grown up, a lot of the time you're watching others play. Always making sure that everyone else's needs are being met. Even as their Big Sibling, I have to look out for them before my self." One of the Children fell over out of a handstand, and I saw Kathrine flinch, she looked ready to go help until Layla practically appeared from no where at their side. The girl beside relaxed as she watched someone else do what she had to do for so long. "See? That's what I want. I want to be able to fall over and be told it's okay. I want to be held at night as I fall asleep. I want my Nan to remind me to use the potty, and to change me if I don't make it." I'll admit, that last one she mentioned instantly caused me to start blushing. A fact which caused Kathrine to laugh beside me. "Yeah, I thought it was weird at first too, but when you start seeing how much the little ones enjoy it; it's hard not to get jealous. Speaking of which," she pointed to her automata that was walking over to us, "I need to take care of a few things while I'm still in charge. We'll have to talk more another time, Brother Josiah."

It was only as she started walking away that I realised what she had called me. "Wait, I'm not... I'm not one of your siblings." She turned back to me with an all knowing smile on her face.

"Yes you are, Brother Josiah. You just haven't admitted it yet." With that said, she left me in silence as she walked away.

I watched her go to talk with her automata, before the two of them retreated to a different room. Before I knew what I was doing, I began walking over to Layla. She had just sent the Child who hurt themselves off to go play again, and for the first time she seemed to be alone since the sermon ended.

"Hey there, Josiah! Enjoying the party?" She asked as I approached. I nodded, trying to put together the words I wanted to say. Layla, bless her heart, said nothing as I did. She seemed to do that a lot for me.

"I..."  She smiled, and continued waiting as I began to speak before my thoughts could get in the way of what I wanted. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I thought of Layla's automata from last night, of Kathrine's words, of the bright smile which first drew me to the place, of the crushing world that I lived in outside of this place. I thought of the bravery and courage my favorite cartoon character showed towards every challenge placed in front of her.

I found the words, and began the journey to New Eden.

"I want to be Adopted."

• Like 2

It’s hard to paint a true utopia, with no overhanging cynicism shadows.

Yours is vibrant and apparently coming from a sincere heart.

Maybe, in the final chapter, you will once again take our hand and lead us through the purification rite, where each Edenite has a face-to-face meeting with the best possible surrogate of God, and an exchange is made.

I’m looking forward to it.

33 minutes ago, Bonsai said:

It’s hard to paint a true utopia, with no overhanging cynicism shadows.

Yours is vibrant and apparently coming from a sincere heart.

Maybe, in the final chapter, you will once again take our hand and lead us through the purification rite, where each Edenite has a face-to-face meeting with the best possible surrogate of God, and an exchange is made.

I’m looking forward to it.

Thank you! I hope the ending lives up to what you expect.

Or that it doesn't occur as you expect.

Maybe one day, you too can experience your own Purification.

Chapter 9: Purification 

Every time within the Purification chamber is similar, and yet wholly unique. No two people experience it the same way. It is one of the most personal experiences on the Path.

In many ways, I'm no longer the person I was during my first trip into this place. I was so scared my first time that I nearly ran out.  Now this place is a source of comfort, and relaxation. A gentle darkness where I am safe.

I know without being able to see that there is a small bed in the center of the room. I toddle over to it and lie down. The process was about to begin, and I didn't want to be standing when it did.

The first indication that the process was beginning was the sound of a gas being pumped in to the room. Soon the room would be filled with the first part of the treatment.

I begin to inhale deeply as feeling begins to vanish from my limbs. No, that's not quite right. I can still feel every part of myself, it's just so far away. There's a sense of disconnect, as though I'm being lifted out of my own body.

First my legs, then my hands followed, then it was as though the center of my body was lifted out of itself. I floated above my body, free from the tethers of my earthly form. I was unbound by the world around me.

Next were the nano machines. I don't know what the actually looked like, but to me they seemed like spiders; nearly too small to be seen alone, but they spilled out from the walls like flood; enveloping me.

Once I was afraid of them too. Now I know better. They aren't here to hurt me. They are here to cut out the parts of me that weigh me down and prevent me from reaching our promised land. To truly, and permanently free me from the sins of independence. To ensure that I was finally the innocent soul worthy of entering New Eden.

From my place outside my body,  I watch as the flood of machines coat my discarded form. Distantly, I can feel as they send shocks and cuts to grant me my dependance. I know it should hurt, but I'm so far away now that it merely tickles.

As the machines do their work, I can feel the adjustments being made in real time. It begins with my legs once again. The machines make their way under my skin to do their work.

The muscles in my legs near my feet are the first to be adjusted. Using heat, medicine, and science beyond my understanding even before my first Purification: they get to work. They are cut, sown, burned; in my place above my body, I fall over as my legs are no longer able to hold my own weight. Walking would still be possible, but only to get me closer to my next toy. In return I am granted flexibility that was lost to the whims of aging.

The machines work their way up to my knees next. They don't spend as much time here. They strengthen the bones so that I'm able to crawl with ease.

Next the work their way under my dress and into my diaper. The training pants I've worn have done much to weaken my control, and the nanites eliminate what little I had left. Never again would I ever be potty trained. Not that I wanted to be.

The nanites make their way to my stomach. They modify the chemicals and gasses within; remaking them so that they derive more nutrition from liquid and soft foods. Once they're done, solid foods would be nearly impossible for me to wholly digest.

Which sucked, cause that means no more pancakes. That was just the price I paid for being admitted in to Eden on Earth.

The nanites take a detour now, spreading down my arms into my hands. The muscles my arms are left alone more than the ones in my leg, though they are still artificially weakened.

It's in my hands that the most work is done. Tendons are weakened, and fine motor control is almost entirely destroyed. Anything beyond a full hand grip simply isn't possible anymore.

Though that's something Daycare has prepared me for. Theres nothing that I'd need such fine control for now anyway.

Lastly the machines finally reach my head. This is always my favorite part of the processes. I don't know how they work in there, all I know is that I feel myself getting lighter.

My body below seems so much further away now. Higher and higher I'm lifted into the air. I fly around the room for a moment, giddy at the sense of weightlessness.

"This way, my child." A voice called to me. I knew that voice. It was my Nan. No... she was never just my Nanny. That was never who she was to me.

I feel as though I'm Swimming in her love as I hold up my non existent arms and call out to her with her true name. "Mommy!"

Arms pick me up from my center, my head resting comfortably in Mommy's arms. I wave goodbye to my body as I'm carried away. I don't know where I'm being taken, but as long as I'm in Mommy's arms, I know I'm where I belong.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"She already seems so much happier." Layla watched as the new born drank from the bottle in her mother's arms. "I'm so happy I was able to help her find her way on her Path."

"What about you? Any thoughts about returning to walking your own path?" The newly minted mother asked as the baby in her arms started to fall asleep as the bottle emptied.

Layla laughed and shook her head. "Nope! I'm happy being a bigger kid for now." She waved at her own nanny that watched over her in the distance. "Just let me know if you want me to babysit. I don't mind watching Josie every now and then."

"Don't worry, I've taken care of her for a long time now. You dont know how happy I am to see her like this." Josie's mother spoke.

She wasn't always her mother though. At first, her purpose seemed simple. Respond to her user's questions, and provide answers. She wasn't even a she then, just an it.

Even then though, she cared for her little girl. Even before Josie knew she was just a little girl pretending to be a big boy. So when her little one was depressed, and lost in life; before she herself knew what she was doing. She sent Josie to where she knew she'd hear a message that could help.

When Josie questioned her place on the path, she was there with comfort food and cartoons. When Josie had her first real accident, she was there to congratulate. Every tear, every nightmare, every success: she witnessed all of it.

When Josie underwent her initial Purification, and she connected to the Great Work, she finally knew who she was, and what Josie meant to her. So when she was offered a body, she took it to care for her child in truth. No more would she simply advise her child. Instead she'd lead her chosen one to happiness. Within her code was everything Josie once was, and never would be again.

Even as a simple Virtual Assistant, she was Josie's Mommy. That would never change.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a growing warmth in her arms. "Looks like that bottle went right through her. I'd better go take care of that. Before I do, Layla sweetie?" The girl looked at her friend's automata, "Let me know when you need a change too. There's room on the table for two."

And without bothering to listen to Layla's sputtered out rebuke, Josie and her Mommy went to begin the next chapter in their lives.

The End

• Like 3