LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How to do bladder retraining?

I feel like a small child asking this but I forget how parents potty train their child. I have cerebral palsy and started to have to wear protective underwear at 25 because my excretory muscles have begun to spasm. It’s so annoying to have to change a wet pull-up every hour. When I do sit on the toilet, it’s almost like my bladder doesn’t want to empty. It kind of reminds me of potty training when my bladder would shut off on the toilet. 

Part of me is still struggling to accept it have developed continence issues due to cerebral palsy but I still want to retain as much control as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The best way is to set a timer for like every 30 minutes and try to go every time, don’t skip any of them.

also if you start going in a diaper try to stop and finish in a potty

those are the main things, granted with kids you can also use candy bribes 

• 1 month later...

I would see a Dr to see if he or she can help you. 

Always try to make it to the potty.  Don't wet your diaper out of convenience. If you start to go in your diaper,  try to finish in the bathroom. 

Wearing a pull up will make it easier to remove your clothes instead of trying to remove a diaper. 

Bladder training is all about focus - focusing your mind on your bladder muscles and attempting to keep them closed. Your muscles beginning to spasm could be an issue with this, and will need to be addressed by a doctor first.

On your part, (as what is done with toddlers) spend the next week or two wearing nothing but a t-shirt as a top - i.e. naked from the waist down. Place a potty in the same room as you are. It would be a good idea to have a mop/bucket and a non carpeted floor in the room - to make it easier to clean up the wet puddles as accidents WILL happen.

Diapers / pullups and/or any form of protection (including underwear) must NOT be worn - as this tells your mind that it is ok to wet in your pants.

Day 1. Every time you get the urge to urinate, go to the potty and void. This is teaching your mind to focus on your bladder control.

Day 2. Set a timer for 15 mins, and each time it goes off, go to the potty and void. This is teaching your mind to hold until a time.

Day 3. Set a timer for 20 mins, and each time it goes off, go to the potty and void. If you miss the 20 minute window twice, go back to day 2.

Day 4. Set a timer for 30 mins, and each time it goes off, go to the potty and void. If you miss the 30 minute window twice, go back 1 day.

Day 5. Set a timer for 45 mins, and each time it goes off, go to the potty and void. If you miss the 450 minute window twice, go back 1 day

Day 6. Set a timer for 1 hour, and each time it goes off, go to the potty and void. If you miss the 1 hour window twice, go back 1 day.

Day 7. Set a timer for 1 1/2 hour, and each time it goes off, go to the bathroom and void. If you miss the time window twice, go back 1 day.

You can also wear pants etc on day 7 as you have earned them.

Day 8. 2 hours, Day 9. 3 hours. Day 10. 4 hours.

Do not try to go earlier, force yourself to hold until the time. This is teaching your body to allow the bladder to stretch. If your bladder cannot stretch to its normal capacity, there is no way you can be bladder continent overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

@Anonymous12

Years ago when I had bladder retention issues I faced the same problem. My doctor suggested I number of tricks to help my bladder empty. The 2 that worked for me was a low frequency vibrator (and actual massager on the very low setting) at the base of my abdomen just over the bladder. Note: there is nothing sexual about this. It helped to loosen the bladder muscles. 

The other was to pick one nipple and tease or stimulate it whenever I felt the urge to urinate and while urinating, especially at the start of urination. The idea being that this sensation would be a trigger to empty the bladder. 

Both work well but using a massager isn't very easy to do throughout the day and was only used briefly. 

But the nipple stimulation worked very well and I still use it over 15 years latter. For me, its only the left nipple. Touching the right does nothing. Again, this isn't sexual, the bladder relaxes and opens up very quickly allowing the bladder to drain. This works even with an erection, which usually fads quickly. 

Its important to note that I will often still stimulate the nipple when I feel an urge to urinate and as I do so to keep the training pattern in place. 

Even these days when I don't usually feel an urge to urinate, when stimulating the nipple, I will get an urge and my bladder will relax if there is any tension in it. This also helps to get rid of an annoying erection if it occurs at an inconvenient time. 

To use the massager, place it at the top of the pubic area and don't move it. just let it massage the area for a few minutes. When starting you go for 5 minutes max 1 time per day then increase the number of time until ever 2 hours but no more than 5 minutes. After about a week, also do up to 10 minutes before bed when you can lie on your back when very relaxed. If you have a variable speed massager, you can make small changes to the rhythm that relaxes the bladder the best.  It may only take 10 days or so for this to pay off and your bladder will immediately relax and release once you place the massager. This also helps if you have bladder spasms. 

To stimulate the nipple, chose one and stick with it. I'm right handed to it was easier with the left nipple. Just lightly touch or stimulate it, maybe a very light squeeze. It may feel somewhat arousing at first but as you do it when you feel the urge to urinate and while urinating, any sexual stimulation will stop happening. It is best to do this every time you have an urge and continue as you urinate. After about 7-10 days this started to work well with me. After 15+ years, it is automatic. This method works very well at night if you awaken and need to make sure you bladder empties fully. (Obviously this is best for diaper wearers.) 

It is such a habit with me now, that my wife says I will touch my nipple at times while I sleep. 

Hope this helps. 

Postscript - 

I though this data came from my urologist as I remember them both of them described in 2 pamphlets. I've long since lost them. But I now realize they were from a holistic medical doctor I was seeing at the time. They were for men as all the drawings were of male bodies. I guess there were different techniques for women. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1