LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Thoughts on swim diapers

I think they wouldn't fit me.    I've got my own pool so I've experimented with a bunch of different things.  Tranquility makes an adult (rather plain) swim diaper called swimsters and I've tried one of the adult ones (essentially a real tight velcro PUL cover) and even just cloth diapers and plastic pants (as some pools recommend for infants).

Understand that the whole point of these things is solely to try to contain fecal matter from accidents until you can get out of the water.  They will all leak and cause health problems to other pool users over time. They are also ineffective against watery stools. At all costs avoid being in the water and pooping. It's just very risky. I've got the option of attending to the water chemistry if I screw up and nobody else uses the pool anyhow.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get in a pool with any kid wearing disposable swim diapers. I have seen them in action, and they're pretty much useless. Once the diapers are soaked with water the pee is just going to leak out, which technically isn't a huge deal since urine is sterile but kinda gives me the heebie jeebies anyway. Worse (way, WAY worse) than that, though, is that if the kid takes a dump you're swimming in poop soup. Yeah, it may contain the bm as long as it's solid, but the water that gets in - and subsequently leaks out - is contaminated with fecal material. At least pre-potty trained kids can't help it. I would have no respect for any adult who willingly wears and uses them on purpose unless, as in willnotwill's case, it is their pool and no one else is using it.

7 minutes ago, Little Lindsey said:

Personally, I wouldn't want to get in a pool with any kid wearing disposable swim diapers. I have seen them in action, and they're pretty much useless. Once the diapers are soaked with water the pee is just going to leak out, which technically isn't a huge deal since urine is sterile but kinda gives me the heebie jeebies anyway. Worse (way, WAY worse) than that, though, is that if the kid takes a dump you're swimming in poop soup. Yeah, it may contain the bm as long as it's solid, but the water that gets in - and subsequently leaks out - is contaminated with fecal material. At least pre-potty trained kids can't help it. I would have no respect for any adult who willingly wears and uses them on purpose unless, as in willnotwill's case, it is their pool and no one else is using it.

@Little Lindsey

Disposable Diapers are designed to be absorbent:  This does NOT mean that they won't leak or cause problems for people who are swimming in public pools.  Swim Diapers are SUPPOSED to hold the solids within them, and as I understand it, THAT is the purpose of a "swim diaper."  From Childhood, we know that kids would have a diaper on, and the thing would be really bloated and HUGE.  I guess the reason these were made was to allow for kids to have some sort of protection in the water, without the diaper absorbing water:  I know there are pools that have rules about Children Wearing Diapers, because on the wall at our local fitness facility it CLEARLY states "Children who wear Diapers......." and then it says that, I believe, "Parents should monitor their children", as I don't believe swim diapers are allowed, because there is no way to ensure that any releases are contained in the diaper:  ANY diaper can leak, and drop waste, and that is something you have to be careful of.

I agree with what @Little Lindsey says:  I wouldn't mind a little pee, but if someone really had a "blowout" and you were swimming in it, its a "poop soup"  in a PUBLIC Pool, and that is why the chlorine level in public pools is so HIGH, so that hopefully, someone does NOT get sick if that happens.  This would probably mean that the pool has to be cleaned and sterilized.  When Young Children are in the pool, parents need to be aware that they can and often do "GO"  so, they need to be ready, as any changes to pressure or temperature usually means they are gonna be peeing.

If adults are using public pools, it is their responsibility to make sure that as much as possible that they do not cause a situation.  Of course, Adults should not release poop on purpose in the water, as that causes health concerns:  In your OWN pool, however, you have the "leeway" and also, if someone pooped in the water, the owner would have to deal with the cleanup because of that:  Accidents CAN happen, but for the most part swim diapers are designed to hold solids, but we all know that this is not always the case all of the time.

Brian

I will also add that at one time I worked in a rehab center that offered, among other things, aqua therapy. They had a rule that any patient with fecal incontinence (or child who wasn't yet toilet trained) had to wear properly fitted plastic pants over their diaper. No disposable swim diapers allowed because they knew they don't work to avoid fecal contamination. Of course even plastic pants aren't 100% effective, but with therapy sessions limited to a relatively short period of time they are way better than 0% effective disposable swim diapers.

6 minutes ago, Little Lindsey said:

I will also add that at one time I worked in a rehab center that offered, among other things, aqua therapy. They had a rule that any patient with fecal incontinence (or child who wasn't yet toilet trained) had to wear properly fitted plastic pants over their diaper. No disposable swim diapers allowed because they knew they don't work to avoid fecal contamination. Of course even plastic pants aren't 100% effective, but with therapy sessions limited to a relatively short period of time they are way better than 0% effective disposable swim diapers.

@Little Lindsey

BINGO:  That's what that sign says in the fitness center where I used to swim:  This means that whatever they have OVER the diaper needs to be able to contain any releases.  :)

Brian

I've thought about getting my hands on some disposable swim diapers, just because right now, swimming and showering are basically the only times I don't have a diaper on, but they wouldn't serve any purpose other than a psychological one, because fecal incontinence isn't an issue for me, and, most of the time, I'd then have to worry about keeping them hidden, anyway, because I don't swim solo very often. So, probably not going to happen. I suppose I could go swimming in my own pool, at night, in just a swim diaper, if I had one, but it would have to be either after the kids have gone to bed, or when they're out. And my wife, I know, would just shake her head...

A swim diaper will not do much, if anything, for urinary incontinence.    They're only designed to try to block feces.   They specifically lack any real absorbency (no SAP or fluff) that would swell up and possibly even burst given a complete water saturation.

If you want a sample of the Tranquility Swimmates, you just have to ask them (or one of their retailers, who will have Tranquility send you it on their behalf).   I got two in the mail when I asked.

For swimming I got myself a pair of the SoSecure reusable swim diaper. I wear it under a pair of trunks when at a public pool. Mostly, like Little Sherri, it is for psychological reasons, I also don't have bowel issues, but it does hold small drips & squirts. Have been thinking about getting a bag of the Tranquility to try.

• Like 1

As said, swim diapers are not for urinary problems but for helping contain a bowel movement.  They may be more applicable for toddlers than adults as our bowel movements are quite a bit more substantial than a toddlers.  If someone feels they need a swim diaper, I would think a reusable cloth one would be much better than trying to use a disposable made from cellulose fluff and SAP that will break down when wet in a pool or lake.  They do make cloth reusable adult swim diapers.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, square_duck said:

I like the signs that some pools have:

"We don't swim in your sewer or septic tank, so don't pee in our pool!!"

@square_duck

When we had our pool (1989 - 1995 or so) We had a sign that said:

"Welcome to our OOL!  Notice there is NO "P" in it

Lets Keep it that way

Management"

Sometimes, I miss our pool, but I can ride the Harley sometimes :)

Brian