LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Vintage Advertisements

Lately I've been browsing the internet and looking at vintage advertisements for items from the 1920's through the 1960's.  Some of these nostalgic adds bring back memories because I remember those products when I was a kid.  Others I have heard about from parents and still others are just fun to look at.  I came across one by accident that can have to do with our lifestyle in a subtle way.  I'm sure other members have come across similar adds from time to time, weather they are subtle or not quite so.  I got to thinking there should be a forum thread for everyone to share their discoveries with the rest of the membership, so here it is.  I'll go first with what I discovered.  The bases here is that Gerber baby food could be eaten by adults as a healthy food when they may have stomach or digestive problems, but you can read so much more into this add!  Anyone else have similar that they want to post and share?

gerber.jpg

Try the Rubber panty Hall of Fame linked to in RUBBER PANTEIS'R'US

http://other.sandralyn.net/rphof.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 11:30 PM, rusty pins said:

Here is another one!  Vintage bottle from a company that may still be around.  Homeopathic Humphry 30 which is a medicine to help take care of bladder and BEDWETTING issues!

Humphry 30.jpg

Just wondering how taking a medecine would stop people bedwetting and what's in it.  Looking at the label it seems to contain Spanish Fly and Mercury Chloride.  Surely the first would be riddled with bacteria and the second would be deathly poisonous!!

Would you call salt a "deathly poison"? yet salt is sodium Chloride, which on its own is explosive with water. Dentists have used "silver fillings" which contain mercury since before I was born with no ill effects. It's about CONTEXT. medical use of mercury is done in such a way as to keep it from leaching into the body. Up until about 5 years ago. I had a mouth full of mercury and even some of the old fillings were replaced with the same thing after lasting for 58 yrstd. By itself, mecury is very toxic

As far as Spanish Fly being "loaded with backteria" I hope you do not take or eat anything "organic". Beyond that, ANYTHING that is not made in a lab is "loaded with backteria". That is thee nature of the world. Your body is "loaded with backteria". It is about CONTEXT. Midecines taht are plant or animal derived are treated to eliminate harmful backteria or other harmfil micr-organismms. Amoebas are not backteria, Have you ever heard of "amoebic dysintery". If you take any pro-biotics for your gut, you are ingesting a boatlad of bacteria. In fact most bacteria are indifferent to human health. In the case of botulism, it is not even the bacteria that is deadly, it is something they either secrete or excrete

Keep it in mind that there were a lot of "quack" cures and treatments in the 1800's and early 1900's to sucker people into buying their products.  Quack doctors who bilked people out of their money claiming they had a cure for cancer and tuberculosis. This Humphry's 30 smacks of quack medicine, but who knows?

That still goes on today. Megavitamin, chilation or other such "therapies", 'sick building", "chronic fatigue" and many other "syndromes"; the key to the "all in your head" nature of them is that they respond to the "placebo" effect (are "cured" by 'sugar pills" passed off as cures with a fancy explanation) The "medicine" that has gone by various names: "Alternative", "complimentary", "integrative" and currently "intellectual", chiropractic, naturopathic and homeopathic. Unfortunatetly some of this has made its way into legitimate medicine

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

"Wellness" and 'holistic" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellness_(alternative_medicine)

And the salt thing

Two others

Ushally medicine follows certain procedures to check things out such as 3 groups to test a drug 1. the control group, given nothing, 2. the experimental group, given the drug being tested and 3. the placabo group, given a "sugar pill" (a phony treatment) told it will owrk and tested. Another techniuqe used is "double blind"; none of the testers know who is in which group. Such things as "chronic fatigue sydrome", "sick building syndrome" and "school flu" are called "mass sociogenic disorders" because they respond almost totally to what is suggested and almost not at all beyond what you would expect from "random drift" to any actual treatments. Another thing both Dr. Dean Edell and I have been suspicious of is "Irritable Bowel Syndroe"  I took a look at it  as it was listed; a collection of symptoms and found on that list, symptoms from other conditions that I knew about, and one, lactose intolerance, was well-known to  be a stomach issue, the inability to process lactose (milk sugar) due to a lack of the substance lactase. It is as if someon took symptoms from a set of otherwise well known disorders, combined them and gave the result a new name and called it a syndrome to make it sound fancy. One should also look up the definition of "syndrome"

Another cute one is in calculating  what a healthy blood pressure level is, in the mid 1970, the rule for the upper figure was "your age plus a hundred". Now, at this time the majority of adults were booers, which was the biggest population increse in history. well, I was born in Sept '45 on the cusp of the baby boo (1946-65). In 1981 ( was 35 and the average age was 33. So, in 1975 I would turn 30. So at that time, for the bulk of the population, "your age +100" was a good rule of thumb for young and early middle aged adults

That is known as "torturing the data". citing the unusual as normal which you would have to do to call salt or water a "deathly poison" Most discussions presume "ceterus paribus [other things being equal]" and if you are straying from that, it is either part of a discussion that is about abnormalities going in or you are required to state that you are bringing up the abnormal or obscure. Otherwise, you could go all over the place. Do you know that 100% percent of the persons who died of heart attacks were for most of their life, breatheing a mixture that was made up of 21% oxygen, about 75% nitrogen and fractional percentages of several other elements and had drunk H20 within the last week? As with everything else, the key word is CONTEXT

https://uncrate.com/video/milk-and-the-mutants-that-love-it/

I see you ignored my statement that 

10 hours ago, ValentinesStuff said:

Most anything is toxic at high enough levels.

Salt though, ignoring those that die from high blood pressure complications, does kill a number of people every year from ODs. Some accidentally, some intentionally. And the quantity needed isn't all that much, a few tablespoons. Yes that's a lot of salt, but it's not a big quantity. It takes roughly 10 times the sugar to hit LD50. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 12:45 AM, tibsy said:

Just wondering how taking a medecine would stop people bedwetting and what's in it.  Looking at the label it seems to contain Spanish Fly and Mercury Chloride.  Surely the first would be riddled with bacteria and the second would be deathly poisonous!!

It's homeopathic meaning that there is none of those things in the bottle but a shamman did a ritual to make the water remember that it touched some once. 

On 2/20/2021 at 2:45 AM, tibsy said:

It was homeopathic. . .in other words, a placebo.  

The name on the bottle refers to a homeopathic medicine company that existed from about 1853 to 1900 in New York state.   

The company is still around, after a number of reorganizations and changes, and is now a manufacturer of witch hazel skin products.  Humphrey's Witch Hazel made by Humphrey's Pharmical.