LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

State Medicaid Coverage Of Incon Supplies

Kentucky used to, but no longer covers incontinence supplies unless you are in a hospital or nursing home, or have a home health aide come in to assist you. I *may* qualify for that last one, since I do have disabilities....

I don't know if it would do me much good even if diapers were covered. From personal experience, both with my own incontinence and as a former nursing assistant before I became disabled, I know that the government issue diapers are absolutely no good. They leak badly. They might as well not be worn, because an incontinent person is going to wet the bed even with them on. For the nursing home residents, I know that we assistants were changing sheets just as often as if the residents were not wearing diapers. And even if Kentucky did still cover incon supplies, that's probably what I'd get.

Sigh... I was hoping to be able to save some money on diapers, and/or save some work on laundry. I have to wash laundry in the bath tub since there are no laundry facilities where I live, and to get to a laundromat I'd have to pack everything up on a bus. Can't do that REAL often. Major inconvenience. So my doctor prescribed Depends-style incontinence supplies. But Medicaid no longer covers them. I'm going to have to buy them myself.

I would like to hear from:

1.) Kentucky residents who are on disability and/or food stamps and/or housing assistance. Can you deduct the cost of incontinence supplies and maybe have to pay less rent, or get more food stamps, as a way of compensating?

2.) People in other states who can tell me, out of curiosity, what the Medicaid coverage situation is there.

I guess I *could* get my case manager involved, but to do that I'd have to come out of the closet as an incon. And since my case manager is a man, that makes me even less comfortable with the idea. EEK!

Cloth? Best I can think of, although were I incontinent, I'd probably loathe the extra washing necessary.

Cloth is impractical if you're already doing laundry in a bathtub. It's unlikely you're going to be able to get the state to pay for your diapers. Most of the time they won't. It's rather ridiculous, but true. Some private insurance companies will, and in some states if you're on medicaid for disability they will, but they don't for the elderly, so in your situation, it would be hard to accomplish.

However, many cities have a "diaper bank" similar to a food bank. You may be able to ask around social services, or even to a net search to find out. Diaper banks collect baby and adult diapers for people who can't afford them.

Cloth is impractical if you're already doing laundry in a bathtub. It's unlikely you're going to be able to get the state to pay for your diapers. Most of the time they won't. It's rather ridiculous, but true. Some private insurance companies will, and in some states if you're on medicaid for disability they will, but they don't for the elderly, so in your situation, it would be hard to accomplish.

However, many cities have a "diaper bank" similar to a food bank. You may be able to ask around social services, or even to a net search to find out. Diaper banks collect baby and adult diapers for people who can't afford them.

Thanks for these suggestions. I *am* on medicaid for disability. I think the state *should* help me with diapers as part of my medical needs, but they won't, you're right. Thanks for the diaper bank idea. I googled and didn't find any in my city. I'll probably have to ask social services, though it will mean outing myself. :crybaby: I'm so scared of doing that.

I think you should fight it. And try to look into more, but the Diaper Bank is a good idea. Medicaid should cover other types instead of depends. you should call around to your medical supply stores in the area, and see who covers your insurance.

Also, you can tell your doctor to make a case for you that you need them, and your insurance won't pay for them, they can try and help you pay for them.

I don't qualify for Medicaid but I have a personal flexible spending account. The program allows one to set aside up to 3000 bucks a year for medical expenses. There is no income tax on the 3000. The only bad thing is if you don't use it, you loose it.

Kentucky used to, but no longer covers incontinence supplies unless you are in a hospital or nursing home, or have a home health aide come in to assist you. I *may* qualify for that last one, since I do have disabilities....

I don't know if it would do me much good even if diapers were covered. From personal experience, both with my own incontinence and as a former nursing assistant before I became disabled, I know that the government issue diapers are absolutely no good. They leak badly. They might as well not be worn, because an incontinent person is going to wet the bed even with them on. For the nursing home residents, I know that we assistants were changing sheets just as often as if the residents were not wearing diapers. And even if Kentucky did still cover incon supplies, that's probably what I'd get.

Sigh... I was hoping to be able to save some money on diapers, and/or save some work on laundry. I have to wash laundry in the bath tub since there are no laundry facilities where I live, and to get to a laundromat I'd have to pack everything up on a bus. Can't do that REAL often. Major inconvenience. So my doctor prescribed Depends-style incontinence supplies. But Medicaid no longer covers them. I'm going to have to buy them myself.

I would like to hear from:

1.) Kentucky residents who are on disability and/or food stamps and/or housing assistance. Can you deduct the cost of incontinence supplies and maybe have to pay less rent, or get more food stamps, as a way of compensating?

2.) People in other states who can tell me, out of curiosity, what the Medicaid coverage situation is there.

I guess I *could* get my case manager involved, but to do that I'd have to come out of the closet as an incon. And since my case manager is a man, that makes me even less comfortable with the idea. EEK!

I don't qualify for Medicaid but I have a personal flexible spending account. The program allows one to set aside up to 3000 bucks a year for medical expenses. There is no income tax on the 3000. The only bad thing is if you don't use it, you loose it.

Unfortunately, the Flex Spending account won't help alot of people. For one thing, if you're in such dire straits that buying incontinent supplies is a major financial burden, you're probably not paying income taxes anyway. Flex accounts are STILL your money, the only thing they save you on is the income tax.

However, the main point is that MOST of the time, a flex spending account will NOT allow you to purchase incontinence supplies. They put incontinence supplies in the same category of "not health related" itmes that baby diapers and feminine hygene products belong to. I cannot really argue with qualifying the same as those products, I do have a problem with the fact that that whole category of products is considered "not health related". I mean, seriously, how unsanitary would it be for people to NOT have use of those products. I know in womens shelters around here, that is a MAJOR problem. Radio stations and things sometimes try to have "maxi drives" and things like that to help, but the government refuses to subsidize that sort of thing. However, there is a push in congress right now to reclassify that "area" of product as a health expense, at least for tax purposes. So... write your congressman.

As to your Kentucky problem, I spent some time looking into it. I did not see an official "diaper bank" in Kentucky, but after a little more investigation I found that the Salvation Army happens to provide similar services in your area. I know that it can be embarassing to ask for help, particularly in this area, but they may be a resource for you.

But the state DOESN'T provide free diapers any more, unless you're in a hospital or nursing home. That is, unless there's another avenue I don't know about. Suggestions?

diapers are on the federal list as long as the dr has done the paper work and you are medicare federal program it should be covered

the do not cover them before a certain age

we get four case a month here for the 2 that live with me, i can get pullups but the paper work is not worth it it is easyer to use the off set to pay for goodnight then get the cheap brand the providers use

It's just occurred to me that by the time I get the government issues straightened out, the UTI that is causing my every-night bedwetting will clear up, and I'll go back to doing it only once every two or three weeks....

In which case I'd be fine in cloth diapers which would be easier to re-use the next night if they're dry. (Renovations are being done on the apartments where I live, and I've heard talk of a possible laundry facility being built. Yaaaaay!)

Last time I had a succession of UTI's back to back, it damaged the nerve sensation in my bladder. I went completely incontinent (only #1, not #2) and had to wear 24/7 for about two months until the nerve sensation came back. This time isn't as bad, so far. I'm not totally incon during the day, just have to go as soon as I get the signal. If I try to finish up what I'm doing first, then go, I *will* have an accident. I'm on antibiotics trying to knock it out, but if this continues I might end up 24/7 again. What bothers me most is not the wetting. It's the constant feeling like I've got a toothpick jammed up my bladder.

Rickibrat, I'm on Medicaid, not Medicare, which might make a difference on the "federal" list. I'll try calling Medicaid itself in the morning and see what doors I can push open, if any. And you say that diapers are not provided before a certain age.... sigh. Why do people assume incons are always old?

LittleJaina, thank you very much for your research. Hugs to you.

And thanks to all of you who have replied so far with your suggestions.

I guess I can also contact my housing assistance and find out if uncovered medical expenses are deducted from the amount of rent I would be charged. That can offset things. But getting diapers deducted from rent would mean I'd have to tell the people at housing assistance that I need them. Major blush. And as I say, by the time I get done jumping through all these hoops, the UTI might be cleared up and I won't need them daily any more.

It's just occurred to me that by the time I get the government issues straightened out, the UTI that is causing my every-night bedwetting will clear up, and I'll go back to doing it only once every two or three weeks....

In which case I'd be fine in cloth diapers which would be easier to re-use the next night if they're dry. (Renovations are being done on the apartments where I live, and I've heard talk of a possible laundry facility being built. Yaaaaay!)

Last time I had a succession of UTI's back to back, it damaged the nerve sensation in my bladder. I went completely incontinent (only #1, not #2) and had to wear 24/7 for about two months until the nerve sensation came back. This time isn't as bad, so far. I'm not totally incon during the day, just have to go as soon as I get the signal. If I try to finish up what I'm doing first, then go, I *will* have an accident. I'm on antibiotics trying to knock it out, but if this continues I might end up 24/7 again. What bothers me most is not the wetting. It's the constant feeling like I've got a toothpick jammed up my bladder.

Rickibrat, I'm on Medicaid, not Medicare, which might make a difference on the "federal" list. I'll try calling Medicaid itself in the morning and see what doors I can push open, if any. And you say that diapers are not provided before a certain age.... sigh. Why do people assume incons are always old?

LittleJaina, thank you very much for your research. Hugs to you.

And thanks to all of you who have replied so far with your suggestions.

I guess I can also contact my housing assistance and find out if uncovered medical expenses are deducted from the amount of rent I would be charged. That can offset things. But getting diapers deducted from rent would mean I'd have to tell the people at housing assistance that I need them. Major blush. And as I say, by the time I get done jumping through all these hoops, the UTI might be cleared up and I won't need them daily any more.

the same system that covers old people also covers you if you have medical isues as long as you get SSA, or SSB, or SSI

do you have a case worker that can help dealing with paper work

also the wording can be strange in many place as to how the dr write out the RX and does the preautherization

UTI? I haven't heard you have the rest of the standard UTI advice, so here is part of it:

Drink plenty of fluids. You want to rinse out frequently. Drink some full strength cranberry juice. This stuff will cost you $4 to $6 per quart at the natural or health food store in your area, but it is worth it -- Ocean Spray is somewhere under 25 per cent cranberry juice, and its full of corn syrup which tends to exacerbate the problem. Likewise avoid drinking soda if at all possible, again for the corn syrup.

and on the rinsing out principle, you might want to try getting a clean jar next to your bed....if you re-use it, sterilize it with hydrogen peroxide, which will kill the usual organisms that grow in pee...

hope this helps, and good luck...

Thanks for the good wishes and the advice.

I HAAAATE cranberry juice. :angry2: But if I gotta drink it, I gotta drink it, 'cause that stuck toothpick I mentioned before is something I hate even worse.

Could you clarify the reason for the jar next to the bed? I'm a little puzzled on that.

Progress report: the "toothpick" feels like it's dissolving, and I didn't wet the bed last night for the first time in about a week. The UTI is probably on its way out.

UTI? I haven't heard you have the rest of the standard UTI advice, so here is part of it:

Drink plenty of fluids. You want to rinse out frequently. Drink some full strength cranberry juice. This stuff will cost you $4 to $6 per quart at the natural or health food store in your area, but it is worth it -- Ocean Spray is somewhere under 25 per cent cranberry juice, and its full of corn syrup which tends to exacerbate the problem. Likewise avoid drinking soda if at all possible, again for the corn syrup.

and on the rinsing out principle, you might want to try getting a clean jar next to your bed....if you re-use it, sterilize it with hydrogen peroxide, which will kill the usual organisms that grow in pee...

hope this helps, and good luck...

UPDATE

OK, I had to jump through every hoop imaginable and out myself to a few people, BUT....

Here's the sitch. Kentucky state Medicaid DOES cover incon supplies, but not through a pharmacy. To find out how to get the prescription filled, I had to call the Medicaid office and get the numbers of some medical supply companies. I was given three, two of which no longer provide incon supplies, but finally got lucky on the third try. The medical supply company took my information and will ship my diapers to my door.

Yes...it's the same kind they use in the hospitals. :huh: But, job done. I think I'll take someone's advice and double diaper if I have to.

Glad to hear that you'll be getting what you need. I had to send a prescription and a letter of medical necessity before I could purchase my diapers with money from my FSA. It's great that someone with a medical terminology class under their belt up in Utah gets to read all about my medical condition before making an 'educated' decision as to whether or not I have a right to buy diapers with that money.

Cheers,

Scott