LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diaper Cloth (cotton birdseye) at Walmart

This is how the diapers that are on me are made

With the special "stay dry" liner I can go from 12 to 16 hours between changes and 10hours before I feel anyting or start to smell

On 12/20/2019 at 4:14 PM, Ferix said:

I got to where I am at in small steps, exactly like how you are starting. It takes a lot of experimenting and mistakes to make some really cool stuff.

I do use a patterns for my cloth diapers, which I made myself. The contour pattern is loosely based off of my favorite disposables. My pull-on diaper pattern was made free hand.  The process involves cutting it out to what I think will work, pinning it on, then making adjustments. Usually my first couple runs are off so I end up making a few test runs before I get it right. I'll buy bed sheets from thrift stores to make patterns and craft a practice run so I'm not wasting nice fabric if I make a mistake.

I want to tackle making some onesies.  I'm looking for patterns but I haven't found any online yet.  I may copy one of my existing onesies (lay flat and trace the three pieces (front/'back/arms)  Once I have the three shapes in the basic size I already wear, transferring it to some knit or stretch knit should be easy.  Just don't know how many yards I need.  4-way stretch fabric (cotton/spandex) costs about $17 per yard and I'm not sure how wide the fabric is on the bolt.  Usually I think it's between 42-64" but I'm not sure.  I'm kind of conflicted about using Spandex because in my experience it stretches TOO MUCH lengthwise and I think 2-way stretch regular knit would be better if I get the length EXACTLY right for the crotch.  If it's too short though, there's no fixing it without adding more fabric!

I want to tackle making some onesies.  I'm looking for patterns but I haven't found any online yet.  I may copy one of my existing onesies (lay flat and trace the three pieces (front/'back/arms)  Once I have the three shapes in the basic size I already wear, transferring it to some knit or stretch knit should be easy.  Just don't know how many yards I need.  4-way stretch fabric (cotton/spandex) costs about $17 per yard and I'm not sure how wide the fabric is on the bolt.  Usually I think it's between 42-64" but I'm not sure.  I'm kind of conflicted about using Spandex because in my experience it stretches TOO MUCH lengthwise and I think 2-way stretch regular knit would be better if I get the length EXACTLY right for the crotch.  If it's too short though, there's no fixing it without adding more fabric!
I am very close to a medium (I have all my onesies custom made) a standard medium short sleeve onesie requires 3 yards of fabric to make.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Cruiser 03 said:

I am very close to a medium (I have all my onesies custom made) a standard medium short sleeve onesie requires 3 yards of fabric to make.

Cruiser,  Is that 3 yds times the natural width of the fabric on the bolt?  I would think that if a bolt is almost twice as wide as one yard, that maybe 1.5 to 2 yards would be enough.  Do you have an idea how the pieces are laid out on the fabric?  Also, at $16-17 per yard, for cotton/spandex, it sounds like that would be prohibitively priced for a $30 onesie.  They wouldn't make any money.

Cruiser,  Is that 3 yds times the natural width of the fabric on the bolt?  I would think that if a bolt is almost twice as wide as one yard, that maybe 1.5 to 2 yards would be enough.  Do you have an idea how the pieces are laid out on the fabric?  Also, at $16-17 per yard, for cotton/spandex, it sounds like that would be prohibitively priced for a $30 onesie.  They wouldn't make any money.
Unfortunately I don't know how they are laid out. I assume they get fabric cheaper ,I use a place in Canada and they always say the colors they can make are based on what is available .
I do bulk orders 15 or more of the same item regardless of color ,I generaly order 5 of each of the colors they have (usually like 8-10 colors) in whatever style I am buying (short sleeve,long sleeve,short leg ,long leg,hawaiin,boat neck(envelope),polo,turtle,business).

I usually get a 5 or more dollar discount off each shirt plus free shipping and customs ,when they do a bulk order it's all custom to your measurement and specs, because its cheaper for them to do a large custom run,they pass along the savings .don't forget when washed your garment is going to shrink 1-2 " in all directions ,so you have to factor in shrink .I have like 300+ onesies ,they are worn 24 hours a day either as base shirt or overshirt.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Cruiser 03 said:

Unfortunately I don't know how they are laid out. I assume they get fabric cheaper ,I use a place in Canada and they always say the colors they can make are based on what is available .

Which place?  

I spent $23.00 for 2 yds of one pattern of 96% cotton/4% spandex fabric and ~1.5-1.8 yds of another pattern, and 1/8th yd of white ribbed knit.  The fabric is long enough to make at least one onesie for each pattern.  Each is 64" wide by 72" (2 yds).  I've already traced one of my onesies that doesn't snap down the front (easier pattern to make) and I'll probably get started this week.  I have the ball-point needles and polyester thread needed for the spandex as well.  Now to test everything and make sure I can figure it all out.

The image below is the dinosaur spandex on the left, the construction truck spandex on the right and down the middle is the white ribbed knit for the edges.

1811926686_20191224_184420(resized).jpg.09e1a93ba12f02978bcc2c58f9abac1d.jpg

8 hours ago, rusty pins said:

By the time you spend that much per yard, the thread, time sewing, hemming the edges and adding the snaps, you could buy a few from Tykables cheaper.

Very true. However, you can't beat the quality, feel, and luxury of a custom made abdl item. Done right, they are better than premade and bought.

I've had many offers of people wanting to buy my cloth diapers, as I'm wearing them as covers at the bar, because of their uniqueness.

Update on my onesie building...  didn't realize before but I need to get some double needles to do the trim...  They provide a nice double stitch and even using a straight stitch it's stretchy for the knit.

I'll have to wait until at least tomorrow (Thursday) to get one from Joann's. Only thing is, my area BDSM club has Littles Night tomorrow evening so the day is spoken for already.

8 hours ago, DL-Boy said:

Update on my onesie building...  didn't realize before but I need to get some double needles to do the trim...  They provide a nice double stitch and even using a straight stitch it's stretchy for the knit.

I'll have to wait until at least tomorrow (Thursday) to get one from Joann's. Only thing is, my area BDSM club has Littles Night tomorrow evening so the day is spoken for already.

I went forward with the first onesie without the double needle, using the zig zag stitch instead.  It's not as professional but it looks kind of like a sweatshirt in a way.  I still need to get more white ribbed knit fabric for the trim around the crotch/legs but I've tried it on already and have photos.  Note this onesie has less spandex then the one I based it on, which was VERY stretchy to the point of diaper sagging.  This one will have a very snug crotch when snapped around a diaper.  I may modify the pattern or how I cut my seam allowances when I do the second fabric pattern, but it depends on how this one turns out when I finish it.

1007590357_NewOnesieunfinished.jpg.5f67d0ac5c9a8e9a6bda187235c9b0cf.jpg

177008089_NewOnesiestretchedundercrotch.jpg.1e4ef479fbfab2a05fb7bdd23c652e0b.jpg

Finished onesie - I didn't make it to Littles Night though, since I didn't get finished until two hours after I should have left the house.

1524947731_Finishedonesie(constructionequipment).jpg.59db628ff9f8c45e6751d0d4f9338403.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, DL-Boy said:

Finished onesie - I didn't make it to Littles Night though, since I didn't get finished until two hours after I should have left the house.

1524947731_Finishedonesie(constructionequipment).jpg.59db628ff9f8c45e6751d0d4f9338403.jpg

Very nicely done!

19 minutes ago, Ferix said:

Very nicely done!

Comfy too. I wore it last night, to bed.  That one was done by tracing the sections is another onesie into a cut open pillow case without disassembling it first. Imagine if I had a genuine pattern.

Details about the trim: the collar and sleeve trim started as 3" wide ribbed knit, folded lengthwise in half and pressed. Zigzag stitch on inside to make loop, folded back along fold and pinned into neck in sections then stitched and folded out and top stitched with zigzag (before I had the twin needle).

The bottom trim was 2" wide strips that were pressed in thirds. The folded edge on outside, raw edge on inside. Twin needle used to stitch in place.

• Like 1

I completed my second onesie tonight, Saturday 12/28/19.  I cut it out of the fabric yesterday evening, along with another set of pieces that I will stitch together at a later date.  I know when I sat down to start sewing this one, about 10 hours ago, although I had to go to the store to pick up more thread which probably took an hour or two.  It was roughly 8.5-9.0 hours of work in stitching.

This one I opted to use plastic snaps instead of the metal crimp snaps (I've had the odd metal snap fall out of the fabric for some reason).

1596297349_BlueDinosaursOnesie.jpg.6e2e8923ab1f221a89591f7ac31b3cdb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Here's a new dinosaur print onesie. Had one heckuva time getting the neck to work at all, must've cut it too big but it's adequate now.

20200127_100818.jpg