LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Go To School And Get Bottle Feed

Disruptive students

bottle-fed like babies

Controversial '60s therapy claims kids

failed to bond with parents in infancy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a move that takes the notion of "nanny state" to new heights, a public school in the UK has adopted a controversial approach to dealing with problem children in the classroom that includes nursing students between ages six and 11 with baby bottles.

Disruptive youngsters are spared scoldings or time-outs and, instead, given sessions with a therapist whose role it is to give them "the love and attention they may have missed out on at a younger age," according to a report in the London Evening Standard.

Called Theraplay, the three-year program developed in the U.S. in the 1960s, focuses on helping children develop a strong and loving bond with a mother figure. Rockingham Primary School in Northamptonshire has now adopted the program to help its troubled students feel loved and secure once more.

Critics say Theraplay, with its set-aside room fitted with a one-way mirror and staffed with a specially trained therapist, only holds children back and keeps them from growing up by bottle-feeding them.

Rockingham's therapist, Jo Williams, works with children and their mothers.

"It's all about making them feel they're worth looking after," she said. "I had one mother who was having trouble bonding with her child. There was little touching and eye contact.

"By the end, she was bottle-feeding him, he was stroking her hair. She said it was one of the best things that had ever happened to her."

Head teacher Juliet Hart defended the program from critics who called it "part of the infantilization of adult life."

"I'm sure there will be some people who won't agree with what we are doing but this form of therapy is recognized around the world for changing behavioral patterns," she said.

"We are still like any other school. In each classroom children agree to appropriate types of behavior and know the consequences if they are not adhered to, including time-out or missing play-time. They also know that if they work hard they will be rewarded with approval. However, there are some children who need help to develop relationships with their parents.

"For whatever reason the bond has gone and there is no mutual respect. Through Theraplay we encourage that bond to grow so the child feels more secure, calm and happy. It's not about discipline. This is about changing a child's behavior over time. Admittedly, it will have an impact on discipline but only in the long term.

"For years, teachers have labored with resistant children and wondered: 'How can I unlock this person'. Once you have emotional literacy, then the learning can begin."

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54540

• 3 weeks later...

I"m not sure, either way. The AB side of me looks to the adult side of me, and both shake their head in wonderment on this one. I'm not familiar with RAD, but I do know that if a child is not 'in touch' with the adults in their life that they are going to grow up disenchanted, distant, and without a capability to connect to others.

This is, and continues to be amply demonstrated by the current generation of children in the U.S., and I'm sure in the U.K. as well. Would a program like this, if instituted at an early enough age, give a child the opportunity to bound with the 'adult world?' I'm not sure. I do know that if the adult in the program is not close kin or parent, then when that person is gone, the contact is gone, and the child will fell more removed then they were before.

Children, latch key kids, who have single parents, or both parents working, need to have extra attention from Mommy and Daddy when either or both are available. Failure of mom and dad to give the child, or children, attention will lead to a lot of the problems we're seeing now. With mom and dad getting home, and tired, and neither wants to 'parent' anyone, then the gap widens. Stresses of the day at work are often brought home, along with short tempers, anger, and downright hostility. Sometimes the parents even notice it, too.

So, if a counselor, at an early enough age, can help a family reconnect, it may establish that child as a person of worth.

On the other hand, how many bullies are in school taunting these kids about 'baba and nappy time?' Yes, I know that no mention of diapers, nor do I believe they would use them, but it's got to follow that those kids who would bully someone would add that to the taunt. How does that affect the child's self esteem and self confidence.

It's an interesting concept, I'm not sure, either way.

The funny thing, though, is that after following the link in the original post, and then following the link to Theraplay, and reading on their website, this is very similiar to something I wanted to do back in the late 80's, which if I had sufficient funds, I might have embarked on. I wanted to create the InnerChild Playcare Centers, a place where you could go, as an adult, and allow yourself to become a child again. The play, interaction with others, and behavior of a child would have been encouraged. I thought of having trained staff there to help people with various mental and emotional issues, as well. But, I wanted adults who were overtaxed and stressed with the adult world, to have a place to come where they could shed their adultness for the safety and playfullness of their childhood once again. A place that would not ridicule, or demean the individual because they wanted to get small again. While I was an AB at the time, this was not designed as an AB playground, but a safe haven for 'normal' people who wanted to get 'small' again.

Gary

Disruptive students

bottle-fed like babies

:biker_h4h::biker_h4h::biker_h4h::biker_h4h::biker_h4h:

part of something called latch key sysdrom when kids were always with baby sitters or by them selfs as they got a little bite older

• 2 weeks later...

It makes you wonder doesnt it maybe this whole society thing with getting children out of nappies (diapers) stop using pacifiers sleeping in a big bed and being a big kid who doesnt need babying by the age of three is it really in the best intrest of the kids.

why is potty training so urgent and compulsory, the simple answer is just so you can get them into the local kindergarten (99% of which these days have a no nappy policy).

i really think society needs to look at itself more closely and not expect too much from very young children i dont see what harm it would be for a 4 yr old to still be in nappies if that child benifits from slightly prolonged intense parenting.

i've know mothers to become obsessive about potty training because their friends had little johnny trained by 18 months etc etc.

we should let little kids be little kids as long as they feel the need to be and stop trying to make little adults too soon

It makes you wonder doesnt it maybe this whole society thing with getting children out of nappies (diapers) stop using pacifiers sleeping in a big bed and being a big kid who doesnt need babying by the age of three is it really in the best intrest of the kids.

why is potty training so urgent and compulsory, the simple answer is just so you can get them into the local kindergarten (99% of which these days have a no nappy policy).

i really think society needs to look at itself more closely and not expect too much from very young children i dont see what harm it would be for a 4 yr old to still be in nappies if that child benifits from slightly prolonged intense parenting.

i've know mothers to become obsessive about potty training because their friends had little johnny trained by 18 months etc etc.

we should let little kids be little kids as long as they feel the need to be and stop trying to make little adults too soon

Personally, I believe that if the parents did spend quality time with the children, then the kids would be out of diapers by two and a half or three years old.

Gary

Disruptive students

bottle-fed like babies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a move that takes the notion of "nanny state" to new heights, a public school in the UK has adopted a controversial approach to dealing with problem children in the classroom that includes nursing students between ages six and 11 with baby bottles.

Disruptive youngsters are spared scoldings or time-outs and, instead, given sessions with a therapist whose role it is to give them "the love and attention they may have missed out on at a younger age," according to a report in the London Evening Standard.

Called Theraplay, the three-year program developed in the U.S. in the 1960s, focuses on helping children develop a strong and loving bond with a mother figure. Rockingham Primary School in Northamptonshire has now adopted the program to help its troubled students feel loved and secure once more.

Critics say Theraplay, with its set-aside room fitted with a one-way mirror and staffed with a specially trained therapist, only holds children back and keeps them from growing up by bottle-feeding them.

Rockingham's therapist, Jo Williams, works with children and their mothers.

"It's all about making them feel they're worth looking after," she said. "I had one mother who was having trouble bonding with her child. There was little touching and eye contact.

"By the end, she was bottle-feeding him, he was stroking her hair. She said it was one of the best things that had ever happened to her."

Head teacher Juliet Hart defended the program from critics who called it "part of the infantilization of adult life."

"I'm sure there will be some people who won't agree with what we are doing but this form of therapy is recognized around the world for changing behavioral patterns," she said.

"We are still like any other school. In each classroom children agree to appropriate types of behavior and know the consequences if they are not adhered to, including time-out or missing play-time. They also know that if they work hard they will be rewarded with approval. However, there are some children who need help to develop relationships with their parents.

"For whatever reason the bond has gone and there is no mutual respect. Through Theraplay we encourage that bond to grow so the child feels more secure, calm and happy. It's not about discipline. This is about changing a child's behavior over time. Admittedly, it will have an impact on discipline but only in the long term.

"For years, teachers have labored with resistant children and wondered: 'How can I unlock this person'. Once you have emotional literacy, then the learning can begin."

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54540

All, I can say is if they had that in school I would be having the worse teeth in the world, because I would get a bottle everyday. I was a such a bad boy in school. And I didn't even try to be bad, maybe it's just my cute and boyish charm

• 6 months later...

Personally, I believe that if the parents did spend quality time with the children, then the kids would be out of diapers by two and a half or three years old.

Gary

I'm not to sure I agree. I did spend quality time with my parents when I was little and stayed in diapers till I was 4 when I was potty trained but no more than 6 months later I begged to be returned to diapers, which I wore 24/7 for the next 3 years and to bed for 2 more years after that and then once I became a teenager all bets were off

swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ssssssssssssssssssssssssssd

• 8 years later...

The major regression therapy morons have been pretty resoundingly determined to be 100% bunk.

My wife worked with some pretty severe cases as a special ed teacher including a bunch of ex-Romainian orphanage (take what you can imagine of a depression era US orphanage and double it).

Another necro-thread revival- the OP was from 2007 :o And I wonder how this "experiment" worked out?

I get highly perturbed when I see troubled kids becoming guinea-pigs for some non-understanding shrink's 'new' ideas which often leaves the kids worse off than before. Kids are not guinea-pigs and should not be subject to experimentation; instead they should be given the tools they need to deal with their problems so that their problems don't destroy their adult lives. Instead we're trying things which are not working then forgetting to do anything about the people who caused the problems afterward. Humans aren't to be thrown away, nor are their good and bad deeds to be left unaddressed <_< Why do we allow those who perform these failed experiments to continue? Haven't they shown that they are not capable of understanding the problems they are trying to address? What happened to the concept of rewarding good and punishing bad? I'll bet the educated idiot who came up with this idea has been promoted to an even higher position where their capability to do harm has been magnified, and I'll bet that the kids whop were subjected to this experiment are not doing well in society today. Anyone care to do the research and prove me wrong? :P