LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Strange days indeed - a 24 x 7 experiment

I wore that princess pink until about 10 PM last night, and then had a shower and got changed for bed. I did not have an opportunity to weigh it, but since I don't have a Princess Pink worn to failure sans bamboo liners for comparison purposes, weighing it wouldn't have produced a great deal of useful information, anyway. What I can report is that, upon examination, I have no doubt that more of the diaper was used. About 4/5ths of the padding was at least somewhat wet, leaving maybe a 6 inch band at my lower back that was more or less dry, with the rest of the diaper "involved", to use a firefighting term. 

Per my earlier comment, the liners did eventually shift position, migrating down and back, and contributing to a cloth diaper-like "knowledge that you're wet" wearing experience. Given that I got 250 of them $9 CAD, using a couple of them at 3.6 cents each seems like it might be worthwhile. I'm in a small sporty diaper right now because I'm about to go exercise, but when I put whatever strikes my fancy on a bit later, I will add one or two, and see if it changes the experience. 

Some minor nappy-ology updates:

Firstly, at @BabyJilly_S's advice, I tried double-diapering again but this time, I used a jeweller’s screwdriver to punch holes in the inner-nappy’s waterproof lining.  It’s wasn’t quite a “Shower scene from Psycho” kind of event, just maybe a dozen or so holes running down the length of the nappy’s padded area in a pair of traces:  more “stabbing” and less “slashing”.

This worked noticeably better.

Instead of vomiting pee-flavoured pudding into the outer nappy and sending pee past the outer nappy straight to my plastic pants, the inner Dailee-Slip (Aplied Lies) simply percolated into the patiently-waiting Abena L4.

Again, the double-diaper felt fantastic.  It was warm, enveloping and remarkably non-sagging compared to a tragically saggy Abena L4 flying solo.

At the end of the day there did seem to be a substantial heft to the combo.  I would like to have weighed it but again, my beloved spent the critical juncture in time in the kitchen, troll-like, jealously guarding the kitchen scales.  I’m hoping this is just a co-incidence.

I will try it again.  I don’t think wearing two-nappies-instead-of-one is in any way cost effective but I got the Dailee Slip Maxis for free (god knows they’re worth that) and I suspect they’re perfectly useless for monolithic deployment so it’s this or the recycle bin.

The second experiment relates to the (mis)use of baby’s bamboo nappy liners to try to recover the wicking shortcomings of high capacity nappies.

Instead of sacrificial underpants, at Monday’s change into my “Barry” workday nappy (Rearz Hybrid Elite Incontrol), I laid a couple of 30x18cm disposable liners end-to-end across the absorbent core of the nappy before putting it on.

Again, I felt that strangely-comforting cloth-like wet warmth throughout the day but by 3pm, I had a damp right rear thigh.

The next day, wearing the next lot of same gear, I managed a damp inner crotch AND a damp rear right thigh with a bonus damp spot on the car seat: a kind of matching full set of nappy dysfunction.

Analysis was required.

12 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

Per my earlier comment, the liners did eventually shift position, migrating down and back

Yep, exactly this...

On both occasions, the bamboo nappy liners (which are thin to the point of nearly transparent) had, possibly resenting their apparent fate, managed to physically escape from their task (which was to simply lie back and think of England whilst getting peed on).  At change time, I found a pair of pee-bedraggled, scrunched up bamboo tissues curled up in opposite corners inside my nappy.   They were a bit like the bodies you see from a Pompeii archaeological excavation but soggy.

On day 2, one of these pee-scapees had actually managed to make its way partly OUT of the nappy whereupon it did a fantastic job of wicking pee directly into my plastic pants where that pee paused briefly at the leg elastics before moving on to my jeans.  If nothing else, this confirms the theory that bamboo DOES wick.

Day 3 I went back to underwear under my Barry as a kind of control sample: once again, I enjoyed a day culminating in dry rear thighs but with smelly, wet underwear to wash.

Day 4 I tried the Bamboo inserts again.  This time I followed the example from @Little Sherri's shared experience.  Instead of laying out the liners end-to-end, I used two liners slightly overlapping each other, the “front” liner resting above the “rear” and covering an area probably from half way up my pubic area to one third of the way up my bum.  I took extra care to make sure that those liners remain in position whilst applying my nappy. 

I did not leak on day 4 but I’m not 100% convinced that this was down to the liners.  The night before had been an “alcohol” night which (as is often the case) was followed by abundant bedwetting and possible light-dehydration the next day.  Forensic analysis confirmed Sherri’s comment that MORE of the nappy surface had “seen action” and there’s no doubt that I felt slightly wetter but with a tare pee volume of around 1520ml, it was carrying a load at the lower end of typical daily use: it may not have leaked under normal conditions.

There’s no doubt that MORE of my nappy surface sees action with those liners in place but the jury is still out as to whether or not that by dislodging and migration when wet, they introduce leak vulnerabilities that cancel their leak protection.

I’m going to continue the experiment but there is ONE learning that is abundantly clear (are you reading this nappy manufacturers?)

Pee distribution so that absorbency can be exploited is CLEARLY a limiting factor in high capacity nappy design.   It’s no good having “feel dry” liners on your 7 litre super-nappies if your wearers have wet legs.  The “underwear” experiment was consistent.  Cloth underwear augmented high capacity disposables increase the addressable area for absorbency and reduce leakage albeit at some “wetness” experience.

I’ll push on with the bamboo liners for a bit longer.  I guess sometimes science takes longer than a week.

• Like 1

Are you separating each square of the bamboo liner? I do not tear them away into individual sheets.

Try with three squares connected, which should stretch from the front to back. Your butt will “anchor” the back of the three sheets and keep them in position. 

That said, I’m also using baby cloth terry nappies inside as soakers too, which help heaps to wick towards the back. 

But how about at night?  Wouldn’t think shifting would be so much of an issue.  When I wet heavily with cloth every square inch is equally wet in the morning.  Long for that sensation (and capacity) with disposables.

I’m going to find out for myself.  Amazon should deliver tomorrow in time for Friday night.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ozziebee said:

Are you separating each square of the bamboo liner? I do not tear them away into individual sheets.

Try with three squares connected, which should stretch from the front to back. Your butt will “anchor” the back of the three sheets and keep them in position. 

That said, I’m also using baby cloth terry nappies inside as soakers too, which help heaps to wick towards the back. 

I've tried a bit of both.  Initially, I had 2 x 30x18cm liners still joined at the perforation.  These extended so far up my crotch and bum that they were effectively wicking past the leak guards.  Then I switched to @Little Sherri's formula of separated/overlaid which MIGHT have worked a bit better but the jury is still out.

15 hours ago, WBxx said:

But how about at night?  Wouldn’t think shifting would be so much of an issue.  When I wet heavily with cloth every square inch is equally wet in the morning.  Long for that sensation (and capacity) with disposables.

I’m going to find out for myself.  Amazon should deliver tomorrow in time for Friday night.

I haven't bothered trying liners at night.  For 3 nights of the week I'm in cloth anyway, which, as you've said, wicks near perfectly meaning that by morning, all of the nappy is usually "equi-damp".  For the other nights when I'm in disposables, I tend to "go" on my back meaning that gravity tends to funnel things to the nappy padding at my bum (which can remain tragically dry during the day) anyway.  A very wet night in disposables is usually hallmarked by a wet bum sensation upon waking.  My usual night time nappy-fail mode with disposables is leakage out the sides.  The problem with high capacity nappies seems more acute during the day when I'm upright.

I've been playing around with bamboo liners all week, and what I've concluded, based on using them in diapers that I wear often, and so am quite familiar with "piloting", is this: they do exactly what we thought they would do. When they're in position, they transfer fluid further afield, they feel wet against the skin, and they likely somewhat increase the usable capacity of a diaper, in so far as it is accessible from a particular position, although I haven't employed a scale in this endeavor. However, the "when they are in position" qualifier is key: having now used them in diapers I wore while grocery shopping or walking the dog, they simply did not say where I put them for very long. If I sat at my desk for most of the day, the results were better, but even then, when I got up to go have lunch, I likely rescinded their contract. 

I have no idea how they could possibly work lining the cloth diapers of a busy toddler. They'd likely end up in a damp, folded ball down in the middle somewhere. Maybe they work okay with infants. Maybe. If these things had a Velcro-esque tab at the top and bottom, that would probably help, but then you'd be introducing cost and complexity. I bought 250 of them, so I will likely keep playing around how they can be used, but, the jury is out on whether I will buy more. To me this is like adding a dash-top solar panel to your electric car. Yes, it does contribute "something". But is it enough to warrant unfolding the damned thing and plugging it in every time you leave the vehicle? Debatable. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Little Sherri said:

I have no idea how they could possibly work lining the cloth diapers of a busy toddler. They'd likely end up in a damp, folded ball down in the middle somewhere. Maybe they work okay with infants. Maybe. If these things had a Velcro-esque tab at the top and bottom, that would probably help, but then you'd be introducing cost and complexity. I bought 250 of them, so I will likely keep playing around how they can be used, but, the jury is out on whether I will buy more. To me this is like adding a dash-top solar panel to your electric car. Yes, it does contribute "something". But is it enough to warrant unfolding the damned thing and plugging it in every time you leave the vehicle? Debatable. 

I’m wondering if this is a scaling problem.  I haven’t really thought through the mechanics of this but the forces and travel distances a mobile adult will impart to this product would presumably be substantially greater than those from a toddler.  Also scaled to a toddler-sized butt, those liners would have a much greater proportion of their surface area outside the “walk” zone.

Otherwise, I can’t see either how such a liner would confer anything more to the toddler nappy-change experience that something else to be disposed of.

We just need to find 2x scale liners to see if that changes things (probably just defeat the leak guards). 

I concur that they DO potentiate dispersal, highlighting a shortcoming in adult diaper design.

• Like 1

Here's a thought... what about sourcing a roll of a semipermeable membrane of similar composition, and then cutting it to size? I'm picturing a landscaping product in my head, some kind of biodegradable landscaping fabric, or weeping tile covering, maybe of a temporary sort, and ideally, not in jet black. Or, like a shop towel material of some kind - the "somewhat reusable", disposable paper towels used in industrial settings that have some cotton fiber to them, so they're more robust than actual paper towels, but that aren't as heavy as actual towels. Hmmm.

6 minutes ago, Little Sherri said:

Here's a thought... what about sourcing a roll of a semipermeable membrane of similar composition, and then cutting it to size? I'm picturing a landscaping product in my head, some kind of biodegradable landscaping fabric, or weeping tile covering, maybe of a temporary sort, and ideally, not in jet black. Or, like a shop towel material of some kind - the "somewhat reusable", disposable paper towels used in industrial settings that have some cotton fiber to them, so they're more robust than actual paper towels, but that aren't as heavy as actual towels. Hmmm.

Hmmm, like this?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-1-x-10m-non-woven-geo-textile-membrane-drain-mat-fabric_p1090843

I would bet that'd be almost exactly right. It may be a tad heavier, but I bet it would work the same. At 10 meters for $41, you'd have to almost create patterns and open a sewing shop in your office, but, it's not going to break the bank. That's 10 square meters. I'd bet you'd get 100 liners out of that, probably a more if you used a computer to plan your cuts. Maybe I'll see if I can get a small sample of a Canadian equivalent. I'm not picturing Bunnings taking my order...

• Like 1

Does landscape membrane wick?

In my first test (last night) liner pretty much stayed in place.  And there appeared to be some wicking within the liner but not sufficient to transfer to back of diaper.  Tentative plan is double up liner tonight, then triple, quadruple, etc. till mission accomplished or out of liners.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jeremy12312 said:

Don’t know about you fine folks, but I don’t need any assistance in getting the front of the diaper good and saturated. 

I've had liner up their but it's task is to capture for dispersal to other parts.

10 hours ago, WBxx said:

Does landscape membrane wick?

I don't know.  It's certainly fluid-permeable.  I think I'd be more concerned about it being made of fiberglass or some other kind of abrasive, decomposition-resistant stuff that was never designed to embrace my nether regions ?

• Like 1

A fairly mundane week.  I’ve been pushing on with the “nappy liner” experiment.  It’s still too soon for a clear result.  It SEEMS that those liners CAN improve dispersal and reduce leakage but it’s not a perfect solution.  Nappy liners, like the African Swallow and cold-climate retirees with caravans, are it seems, migratory, travelling north, south east or west inside my nappy after placement.  This nomadic tendency has attendant risks.

Using the highly unscientific yardstick of guess-timation, I would say even so, there has been MORE of the nappy liner involved in the action over the day.  By the same measure, I would say there has been LESS of those irritating-but-minor right-rear-thigh damp spots at the end of a working day but they are not completely removed.  Taking a Barry much past 1500ml of payload under battle conditions remains fraught with peril: especially when most of the usage deeds are done whilst sitting.

The experiment continues.

In other matters, a pee dream happened on Tuesday night which was slightly unusual.

I dreamed I was peeing in a toilet.  That hasn’t happened in a VERY long time (peeing in a toilet that is).  The thing was, in my dream, I found myself to be peeing quite uncontrollably.  I couldn’t stop it.  I wanted to stop it though.  This was because that my dream-pee seemed to be spreading out of the relevant apparatus in the manner of a garden sprinkler.  It was spraying in all directions and I could vividly feel my crotch getting warmer and wetter.

I tried persistently to stop the flow in my dream to no avail.   I stared down at my pee fountain with the precise memory and strength to do what I needed to do in order to stop the flow hovering just tantalisingly out of reach.  The warm wet sensation from my crotch just kept spreading and I stopped bothering, resigning myself to let the pee finish and deal with the clean-up later.

Then there was nothing more until morning.

I remembered this dream quite clearly when I woke the next day.  I couldn’t remember using my nappies but it seemed that the pee fairy had visited so it was quite likely that this dream was my brain’s way of rationalising what was going on inside my pants.  Nothing unusual about THAT this these days apart from it being a “non-alcohol” night.  Bedwetting is rarer when I’m off the booze.

Another interesting thing about this though was that I was reading a debate in another place (more of a rant really) from a particular internet poster (allegedly himself incontinent) that self-induced incontinence is impossible.  It seems this person, holding an exclusive franchise on incontinence, is on an endless mission to disavow anybody on the entire internet who believes otherwise.  Pursuant to this, he is also adamant that “self-trained bedwetting” (for the want of a better term) is not really bedwetting at all but simply a function of sleep-induced confusion that occludes the memory of a waking decision to pee.

Putting aside the “even-stranger-than-mine” nature of his obsession, I don’t think it’s an unreasonable supposition. I have an open mind of the subject but I think I can see evidence to the contrary.  I’m far from an expert but it does seem to me that if those nocturnal pees were indeed the product of wakeful intent then:

(a)    Paradoxically, I couldn’t dream my way through a wakeful pee episode because to dream, I’d have to be in REM sleep.  I’m pretty sure I was NOT standing in front of a toilet at 2am and so I conclude I was dreaming.

(b)   Additionally, any kind of wakeful decision to pee in bed would be withheld if I knew myself to be in some scenario where bedwetting would have adverse consequences (eg: I was undiapered).  I know I’ve properly “wet the bed” and massively inconvenienced myself in doing so.

On one level it’s not that important to me.  Going to bed dry, sleeping and waking up wet without having been disturbed by my over-active middle-aged bladder is perfectly comfortable for me, even pleasant with or without delta waves.  On another level though, I do wonder if the theory that all such bedwetting incidents MUST occur during wakefulness might be somehow true. 

Googling didn’t really help.  There are academic studies that suggest that bedwetting does NOT occur during REM sleep and others that indicate that an overactive bladder (which at this point I now have) is no respecter of sleep phases.

Who knows…

• Like 2

I'm fairly convinced I'm wetting the bed (or rather, the nappy) while I'm asleep, on occasion. I've had pee dreams that seemed to produce similar results, and I concur with your conclusion that it's hard to be surfing on theta or delta waves, and also be awake and consciously doing anything. I had a weird one last night, in fact - my friend had planned to jump off of a cliff, to show off his diving skills. The cliff was lipped by a high stone ridge, so I had to climb partially over the edge of the ridge, in order to see where he was going to be hitting the water, so I clambered awkwardly and dangerously over the precipice. He climbed up and jumped... and fell with a thud onto the ground below the cliff, not having made it to the water at all. I thought, "Good Christ, he's injured for sure - I have to get down there!", but realized that climbing down was not an option... and climbing back up also seemed precarious. And then I needed to pee really badly, and I started doing so, in the dream, thinking "This is the least of my worries right now, my friend might be dead, and I might be joining him shortly...."

Figure that one out!

Also, I'm in a Rearz Inspire+, and interestingly, this diaper, which is perhaps the oldest iteration of Rearz' diaper technology, is gloriously wet half way up the back now, although I've been using it exclusively in a standing or sitting position. These come in on the bulky but cheap end of the scale, so I wonder if they use more pulp and less polymer? I did not employ the liner trick, because I wanted to first see how they perform au natural. I haven't worn one of these in quite a while, so I couldn't recall my driving impressions, from the last time I had one on. I actually thought I had purchased their InControl Essential product, until I opened up a bag and realized that, nope, these were quite a bit puffier. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

The cliff was lipped by a high stone ridge, so I had to climb partially over the edge of the ridge, in order to see where he was going to be hitting the water, so I clambered awkwardly and dangerously over the precipice. He climbed up and jumped... and fell with a thud onto the ground below the cliff, not having made it to the water at all.

My children exist to remind me that my mind does not work in normal ways but my thoughts went straight to this clip:

Hilarious series if you haven't seen it by the way: perfect antidote to "Vikings"...

The Inspire+ IS available from the downunder distributor but they didn't get the "cheaper" memo:  it's about the same price as the Barry...  I'm assuming it would afford Barry-like performance but with greater bulk and no savings but could stand to be corrected on this.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, oznl said:

I'm assuming it would afford Barry-like performance but with greater bulk and no savings but could stand to be corrected on this.

I'd rate them as sub-Barry. I'm impressed with the Inspire+ for the price, but they do swell up heroically, and they don't hold as much, in my mind; I haven't tested this empirically, but I still think that the Mermaid Tale and Barry are the top offerings from Rearz. The Critter Caboose seems like it could be a contender for sharing, if not surpassing, their dominance, but, testing is required. Seat of the pants impressions, and ISO ratings, suggest that they are in the ballpark. But they're expensive, relatively speaking.  

THAT was awesome, by the way. I like that they all looked like they were wearing nappies as well. I haven't seen this - I'll have to look for it. 

So this week’s nappy-ology lesson is that dried pee fluoresces.  Consider this the TLDR paragraph.  You can finish reading now and still (most likely) enjoy a net contribution to the sum of your general knowledge.

If you’re still reading, this is how I learned this invaluable life lesson.

In my strange not-quite-fulltime semi-retirement work I spend much of my day dealing with disability support equipment.  A considerably large proportion of the clients using this equipment, are, through no choice of their own, in nappies.

Let’s clear the air before proceeding.  This is NOT something that I derive any kind of interest or pleasure out of and NOT a reason I took this job.  I didn’t even realise this would be a thing when I started.  It’s just an ambient fact.  I’m now completely used to wheeling equipment in and out past bags of adult nappies and wipes, where possible, casually chatting with their user at the time about whatever else.

The thing is, they are almost always deeply unsatisfying medical nappies, usually (but not always), the cheapest brands that don’t work.  It’s a complete false economy of course.  Whilst the nappies may be inexpensive, the auxiliary bed pads and chair pads they necessitate through their absorption inadequacy, the volume at which they must be consumed for any semblance of “dry” (I’ve seen them stacked literally to the ceiling) and the leak-induced laundry burden I am certain would easily defeat these “savings” but such is the siloed nature of disability care that nobody seems to notice or care.

I’m painfully aware that I would be almost uniquely qualified to give them, or their carers some advice and tips that would actually work and work exceptionally well relative to the damp and squalid mediocrity in which they find themselves but the relationship dynamic is all wrong.  Best to leave it.

The point to this story is that low cost medical nappies mean that pee gets onto (and occasionally into) some of the equipment I deal with.  I personally don’t have to deal with that beyond moving gear around that might have pee on it.  I’m more on the “adjust and repair” side of things.

Medical recliner chairs (powered, battery-backed and highly adjustable for patient support relative to conventional recliner chairs) are the worst.  Heavy, cloth-upholstered, sat upon for hours or days at a time and highly absorbent.  You can guess the rest.

Periodically, a small man with a small van, smart blue overalls and a disproportionately large and complex vacuum cleaner that looks like it fell out of a 1960s “Lost In Space” episode arrives at our warehouse and cleans the ones that come back from loan.

For some chairs, cleaning occurs without comment.  For others, he appears at the office doorway, like Dobby the House Elf from Harry Potter except smelling vaguely of cigarette smoke and announces that these selected chairs require “sanitising” (with an additional charge commensurate with the word “sanitising” having twice the number of syllables as “cleaning”).  It’s not clear if the “sanitising” process involves anything more than bonus-time on his cosmic vacuum cleaner but that’s beside my point.

It’s dried pee apparently.

I’d not paid much attention to how his conclusion was reached, thinking perhaps he took a deep sniff or maybe, just in consideration of sales targets, spun a kind of “Wheel of Misfortune” hidden inside his van to select lucky candidates for the more intensive (and more lucrative) process.

I saw him in action by chance this week.  He used an ultra-violet torch.

Possessing a curious mind, I put down the equipment I was dismantling and proceeded over to ask him what he was doing.  He was happy to share.  He seemed happy just to be spoken to.  I guess it’s not much of a job sucking dried pee out of furniture.  Shading the affected area as best he could from ambient light, he angled his UV LED toward it and sure enough, whilst some stains remained as stains, a fairly large series of them located accusingly in the “under bum” area showed up with distinct, white-ish, faintly fluorescing halos.  This, he assured me, was the marker of pee as opposed to less distressing compounds.

It turns out that pee contains healthy volumes of a chemical called “phosphocreatine”, which includes, unsurprisingly, phosphor in the kind of quantity that coffee tea or Bonox certainly should NOT.  Phosphors fluoresce under ultra violet light.  If you don’t believe me then you also shouldn’t believe in fluorescent lighting because it works on the same principle.

Naturally, I HAD to have one of those torches.

It turns out that the ever-cunning Marketing Elves have discovered this fact-oid also and consequentially, in pet stores and on e-Bay you can purchase remarkably expensive “urine detection torches”.  In a nod towards good taste, they are tactfully marketed as being for Fido the Dog rather than Aunty Doris the geriatric but in fact ultra violet radiation does not discriminate between species.  Or, you could do what I did and just buy a UV LED torch at your local hard-core electronics retailer for around one third of the pet store price.

It works.

I’m going to see if I can sneak the torch into our bedroom on the weekend after the bedding has been stripped for washing to see if the mattress protector lights up like the sky at night.

I AM however, based on research with this new toy thus far, already now planning washing the towel on my study chair seat this weekend, or, I could leave it “as is” and use it as a fluorescent light.

• Like 4

Hehe, love the update - so funny!

I do wonder whether there is a market for consultation around living with incontinence.  With my interactions with Continence Nurses, they have a very narrow view of what products are out there beyond what can be purchased from the two major distributors we have here in Australia.  

We know that it is absolutely possible to go 12+hrs on one change, with no leaks, given the right products, and to be largely odor-free.   Sure, the individual product may be more expensive, but _in the long run_ they're cheaper, and provide opportunities for a better quality of life.  

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, ozziebee said:

Hehe, love the update - so funny!

I do wonder whether there is a market for consultation around living with incontinence.  With my interactions with Continence Nurses, they have a very narrow view of what products are out there beyond what can be purchased from the two major distributors we have here in Australia. 

I think the very name “continence nurse” belies the problem.  These people are beyond needing continence advice.  They need INcontinence advice.  I suppose to a continence nurse, an irretrievably incontinent patient is to them as a penguin might be to a flight instructor.  I’m sure the nurses bear them no ill will but it’s not their core market.

From what I’ve seen, even just products based on the “big 2” in our market might be akin to flying business class.  More commonly, a bunch of brand names you’ve likely never heard of with the absorbency of fishing nets (here’s looking at YOU Dailee Slip Maxi).

An eye-opening experience for me in the last 6 months “in the industry” is the amount of sheer waste, cost-padding (no pun intended) and apathy toward ineffective processes that goes on.  In our market, our national disability insurance scheme is putrefied with waste and rorting however any proposal to reform it is seized upon shrilly for political gain.  When Governments ARE eventually forced to intervene through intolerable cost blow-outs (as we are just starting to see now), they do so in cretinous, heavy-handed Government ways that often as not, make the problem worse.

35 minutes ago, ozziebee said:

We know that it is absolutely possible to go 12+hrs on one change, with no leaks, given the right products, and to be largely odor-free.   Sure, the individual product may be more expensive, but _in the long run_ they're cheaper, and provide opportunities for a better quality of life.  

Yep.  With respect to the nappies, these health planners need to be looking at the “total cost of ownership” rather than the unit price.  I have no doubt that many patients could be made more comfortable, given more time without being hauled about for changing and enjoy dry clothing, furniture and beds with less total expenditure if they could leverage ABDL technology.

It’s a two way street.  I’ve no doubt that ABDL technology would become much cheaper if the manufacturing volumes were ramped up to address the much larger adjacent market in healthcare.

But can you imagine the opportunistic headlines…

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BabyJilly_S said:

Ah! someone else who has a towel on their office chair... not just me then :)

I got a dirty look from my wife because my office chair towel had fallen victim to a spilled pint of dregs from the bottom of a keg - I was messing around with gas and liquid lines and knocked a pint glass over. So, I appropriated a cashmere throw that my wife had thrown strategically on a couch up there for a hit of colour or texture or whatever, to cover my office chair, not as an absorbent under-pad, but, just because the leather chair gets chilly against my legs when I'm sitting on it in just a nappy in the morning. But she eyed it's position and assumed the worst. It was lovely to sit on, by the way. 

Now I want to get one of those lights!

• Haha 2

A brief obituary to the dynamic duo of BetterDry and his faithful sidekick, the Lifree XL booster pad managed to hold the line against a formidable 2216ml of pee that I managed to unleash upon them overnight in a completely ad hoc and unplanned fashion.

I was a little bit wet when I went to bed (the nappy had been on since 7pm) but not outrageously so.

I could remember waking at about 3am and semi-automatically unloading whatever was in my bladder at the time but it wasn’t much at all.  I was aware that I was significantly wetter when I woke for that that when I’d gone to bed but I wasn’t worried.

At the 6am alarm, I greeted the dawn with that characteristic “bum resting in tepid birdbath” sensation of a disposable nappy that was at best, dangerously utilised.  I was VERY wet.  Regardless, I semi-automatically peed again (whilst not incontinent, this really does happen near-automatically by now) but there was hardly anything to come out.  Everything that wanted out had already done so.

Waddling around the bedroom gathering my workday nappy and plastic pants as a prelude to my normal rinse and change, I realised that there was indeed a substantial heft to my underwear.

Removing the BetterDry and booster, I saw at once that 100% of the padding had been fluid affected and that it was heavy – VERY heavy.  There’d been an incredibly minor leak into my terry-lined plastic pants at the inner thigh on one side but it wasn’t really enough to do anything more than let them air out.

My ex-nappy however was so bloated I had to weigh it.  It was a whopping 2475grams.  The dry nappy and booster only weighed 259 grams so the rest of it was pee.

That’s the triple-punch of alcohol.  First it makes me sleepy, THEN it makes me pee, these days usually AFTER I’ve fallen asleep.  There had obviously been a series of fairly substantial precipitation events overnight and I could recall none of them.

I realise that alcohol is a terrible antidote to insomnia.  That’s why I ration myself to using it only on selected nights.