LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store
waynecook52

Diaper Pails

waynecook52    14

Well think I am going to Toys R Us and get me two diaper pails.I am so tired of using trash barrols as pails.One will be for cloth and one for disposables.I have seen diaper genies for cloth there so I'm going to pick one up.Heck I rinse out my cloth diapers in the shower anyway so might as well put it next to the shower.It beets hanging them over the shower rod.Once I get some film for my camra I will Put some pics on here.If I can figure it out.

willnotwill    447

I had a DIaperGenieElite for a long time.   The major problem is the mechanism is flimsy.    I broke it once and was able to disassemble it (it's all held together with screws) and reverse two of the parts and get it to work again but eventually, that broke the same way.    I've had my sister-in-law break hers (she has infants) and my brother isn't what I'd call handy, so they just had to replace it (actually I got them one as a gift).

I now have the Dekor Plus.   The thing isn't quite as positive closing as the DG, but OK.   The mouth is bigger, so you don't have to stuff it like you do putting adult diapers in the DG.    You can either use the plastic bags, or the will sell you a cloth bag, to hold cloth diapers in the thing as well.    Usually, they price on these is a lot higher than the DG but occasionally you can find them discounted to something reasonable.   The only down side is you can't get the bags at the local grocery like you can for the DG.   On the plus size, their bags have a nice baby fresh scent.

Angela Bauer    236

In 1996 when Don was designing our current home, for the counter along the outside wall of the diaper changing alcove of the master bedroom, we installed a garbage compactor in a lower cabinet. That is ventilated to the outside so no odors of compacted disposables reach the bedroom.

We can buy compactor bags everywhere for less than DiaperGenie or Dekor. True back then we paid more for the compactor than for a Genie, but this one has needed no service after over 21 years of faithful service. It very easily handles adult disposables. The bags are large so that is another savings. I am sure that just in bags we have saved many times the added cost vs. a Genie.

Since Don lost bladder control following his prostate surgery in 2007 we need to compact a whole lot of disposables. True, during my work days I dispose of wet diapers in baggies in ladies' rooms, but Don mostly works from home.

From what I've heard, the new Diaper Genies are crap. Specifically, they've been redesigned so that they're smaller than the last generation was, and because how they've been redesigned, actually hold less diapers despite claims to the contrary on the packaging. The Diaper Dekor is supposedly a much better diaper pail, but as Willnotwill has pointed out, it tends to be significantly more expensive. I should note that you might want to check something like eBay/Craigslist if you're looking for a bargain on one of these though as people tend to sell them second hand with a large discount once they're done with them.

The other diaper pail you might want to look into is the Ubbi. It comes in a slew of colors and is made from aluminum, accepts both regular trash bags and its own refills without the need for any modifications like certain other brands, and seems to get a lot of praise in reviews. If you're worried about odors, this is the diaper pail to go with: the aluminum doesn't retain them over time the way plastic diaper pails supposedly will, so the Ubbi might be worth looking into. I'm not sure which of these pails holds the most, (I'm not in a position to own one of my own right now,) but I'd probably guess that the Dekor does since it just looks a little larger, but my eyes could be deceiving me, however, both the Dekor and the Ubbi have a rather large opening, and since we're talking about adult size diapers, I think that's probably important as well.

willnotwill    447

UBBI looks more durable and there should be a problem with using a regular bag.   There's actually no real advantage to the tube bags that the DG and the Dekkor use now.    When the tube hits the bottom of the container, it's effectively as full as it's going to get.    Sealing up a regular trashbag or typing knots in both ends of the tube are roughly about the same effort.

However, the UBBI mouth looks even smaller than the DG, which could be a problem.    It's also not a double door like the others as near as I can teel.   I can tell you that that is a major deficiency in keeping the odor down. 

I've seen a few other ones (janibel, etc...) but haven't had a chance to evaluate them.   

Something that has a wide mouth.   Double clsoure, and took regular tall-kitchen-can bags would be an ideal solution.    

--

As for Angela, I used to have a trash compactor two houses ago.    I hadn't ever thought of throwing diapers in it.   I'd be concerned that at least ours, didn't really seal up well though it did have a little fan and a charcoal filter.   I'd be worried about smells emanating.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, willnotwill said:

I had a DIaperGenieElite for a long time.   The major problem is the mechanism is flimsy.    I broke it once and was able to disassemble it (it's all held together with screws) and reverse two of the parts and get it to work again but eventually, that broke the same way.    I've had my sister-in-law break hers (she has infants) and my brother isn't what I'd call handy, so they just had to replace it (actually I got them one as a gift).

I now have the Dekor Plus.   The thing isn't quite as positive closing as the DG, but OK.   The mouth is bigger, so you don't have to stuff it like you do putting adult diapers in the DG.    You can either use the plastic bags, or the will sell you a cloth bag, to hold cloth diapers in the thing as well.    Usually, they price on these is a lot higher than the DG but occasionally you can find them discounted to something reasonable.   The only down side is you can't get the bags at the local grocery like you can for the DG.   On the plus size, their bags have a nice baby fresh scent.

Willnotwill,

I'm wondering if you're still happy with your Dekor Plus & to be clear, do you use it for cloth or disposables? And I'm a little confused, with the Dekor Plus, do you have to use their bags/refills, or can you use regular trash bags in it? Also, is it good at controlling odor? I live in an apartment complex, so I'm very conscience of that. Thanks in advance,

Rockies Fan.

willnotwill    447

I'm using the DekorPlus with their bags.     It's moderately OK that way.   I 've not tried it with a tall kitchen bag (13 gal) but it might work.   Like I said, unlike the diaper genie, it doesn't quite have the positive seal, though it does have two doors on the top.

• Like 1

waynecook52    14

Well I went to amozon and bought a 14 gallon diaper pail.Just got it today and loos like its going to hold a lot of cloth diapers.Next is a disposable diaper pail.Get this one next month.Thanks for the advice.

5 hours ago, willnotwill said:

I'm using the DekorPlus with their bags.     It's moderately OK that way.   I 've not tried it with a tall kitchen bag (13 gal) but it might work.   Like I said, unlike the diaper genie, it doesn't quite have the positive seal, though it does have two doors on the top.

Thanks for the info. I've been using just my plastic trash bin with a lid for my diapers up until now, but am seriously considering getting a pail for my diapers to cut down on potential odors in my apt. Guess I'll go to babies r us next week & take a look at their DekorPlus.

id0ntknow    25

Im thinking of trying the Janibelle (spelling?) pail from Diaper Drawer. Does anyone here have any experiences with it they could share?

Andrea85    2

I have the Dekor XL and overall I'm very pleased with it, it does a good job at keeping the smell down.