LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Getting along

Because there is no compromise? Certainly not a compromise that would leave either side happy. So I guess the only compromise that can be done is to recognise people as equal regardless of who they are or what they do.

Its a sort of all in or not at all type deal where there really isn't much in the way of middle ground. I'm sure there were plenty of people complaining about one group of people getting "it all their own way" during the civil rights movement as well. But sometimes there is a rash of legislation for one group of people or one issue in particular because there has to be to bring everything up to speed.

Coming from a country with very centralised control (we don't have states, just one national Government) I can't really say much on whether it is good or not to take power out of one and give to the other, but I will say, if people in some states are being denied rights and a significant portion of the population wants them to have rights I guess you take it up to the people in charge. Sort of like in a business, if your boss is being an ass and not giving you pay rises or something that he is giving other people for a reason other than job performance then you would go above his head and talk to his manager about it.

To begin with, the US Constitution provides that all states must recognize deeds, contracts, and licenses made in other states as having equal validity as those made there. So those States not recognizing other states Marriage Licenses were already in violation of the Constitution, and in that the laws enabling that were void and as if they had never existed from the start. If they recognized a Gay marriage from another State they could not also argue that their own State should not allow that. But rather than SCOTUS have to issue a "State's Rights" based ruling they chose instead to decide the Gay Marriage issue directly instead of re-igniting a war which ended about 150 years ago but never legally settled that very question ;)

I am an advocate for States Rights to some degree but I am also a realist and I see that there are many things which would be better if codified the same across the land instead of being administered piece-meal and differently according to where you are at. The only way to assure that this happens would be for the Federal Government to control those things- which they may not always have the legal right to do <_< The day for SCOTUS hearing a case about States Rights lies ahead and when the decision is handed down there will be either a break-up of the US or a restarting of the unpleasantness of the mid 1860's- but this time that war will be much, much worse :crybaby:

In the end it all boils down to what rights are versus privileges, and why some groups can claim them while others can't.

• Like 1

Compromise is typically defined as an agreement that no one likes but everyone can live with. Unfortunately both politicians and private citizens have become so entrenched in their own ideals & philosophies that compromise is equated with surrender...especially when the second party chooses to mistakenly interpret the first partys reasonability as a weakness to be exploited......in other words we have de-evolved down into a country of 300 million 6th graders

• Like 1

Compromise is typically defined as an agreement that no one likes but everyone can live with. Unfortunately both politicians and private citizens have become so entrenched in their own ideals & philosophies that compromise is equated with surrender...especially when the second party chooses to mistakenly interpret the first partys reasonability as a weakness to be exploited......in other words we have de-evolved down into a country of 300 million 6th graders

I have to agree with this. Most Americans are idiots- just look at the tv they like to watch.

Some more thoughts on this (non-political this time ;) ) My years in Therapy taught me a lot about the human psyche, how people think, and how people view things. What started as something meant to sort me out and save my life became a study in finding out how I was going to have to change to fit into society and the world at large. In the discovery of my real self I had to be shown that my life in the past had been all wrong and that I was going to have to start from scratch and make things right if I were to survive at all. It wasn't easy.

The first point to consider here is that everybody thinks they are right. For most people

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to say that the reason gay marriage is such a big hot topic is for one main reason.......religion. People are so fixated on their stories and fables that they want everyone else to believe as they believe and force their beliefs on others such as the whole "marriage is union of man and woman" bs.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is most likely going to not turn out well, but I have to ask this. Why can't people work to a solution that can be agree to by both sides? The gay marriage issue is just the latest thing. Some states

I disagree with you when you say there is no compromise when it comes to gay marriage. I think there is and a lot of states found it. Let the people in the state decide on the issue. If the majority of the state says no. Then the state doesn't not have to recognize gay marriage. Otherwise what is the use in even voting when the government is going to do what they want whether or not the people want it?"

It cannot not be left to the states because that would create too many scenarios where there is seperate, but not equal, which is against the constitution. The states can do whatever they want as long as they don't go against the US constitution. The people can do whatever they want as long as they don't go against the constitution of the US and the state they reside in.

I don't see how you can call what the African Americans went though in the 60's and the gays are going though now the same thing. Gays are not forced to set in the back of the bus, eat in a separate part of a restaurant, use water fountains and restrooms for them only. Have you ever see police turn fire hoses and sic dogs on gays and lesbians? All these things and more happened to the African Americans.

Edited by Baby_Amanda

Yes I have. There were a number of gay rights movements in the 90's where just that sort of stuff did happen. In fact today there are still a bunch of business and services that are denied to people for being gay.