LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How Different We Are

I been pondering this since I was a young AB, so many of you know thats a long time!

I think this started back when I got Stories from DPF and they had the words Nappy, Knickers and the like frequently used from our neighbors over the big ponds.

I just didn't seem to care for the stories as much because they didn't use the word diaper or whatever.

I wonder if I am the only one this way or do others from both North America, and abroad feel the same about subjects, articles, stories or posts get this same......well feeling isn't right but you can get the just.

I am getting better at it, it's just that I seem to lose track of reading something to stop and check the word that apparently my brain has added to my new vocabulary list or something like that ;)

I actually go so far as to use find and replace in Stories that I print, so that I find them more stimulating.. I'm still working on that Doggie or dogged thing from a privious post as to the just of that term!

So what gives..what do you all think? Am I freakin weird?

Of course you're weird!! :P But I know what you're talking about. I find the word "nappy" doesn't have the same emotional effect on me as "diaper". It must be because the word is so much a part of our vocabulary from infancy that even someone saying the word diaper causes my ears to prick up and certain thoughts to push themselves into the forefront of my mind, even for just a brief moment. And calling adult diapers "briefs "or "undergarments" is the same as nappy to me. I would guess our British counterparts probably feel the same about the word "diaper".

Et vive la difference! I don't remember who said it right now, but there's a well known quotation (over here anyway) - "The Us & the UK - two nations divided by the same language." - or words to that effect.

I really enjoy the language differences Maybe that's because I've taught English to students from a number of countries across the world. And I've also had to teach ESP (English for special purposes) which includes US English too. So yes, I've had to teach diapers, along with faucet, trunk, purse, pants etc. :P

But I'm still learning new words and expressions from you 'guys' ;) across the pond, thanks to reading/posting on DD. I've come unstuck a couple of times and inadvertantly offended without meaning to. :blush: One glaring example that springs to mind is when I jokingly called a member from the US 'a creep'! Over here, used in the jokng sense, it doesn't mean 'freakin' weird' ;) - it means someone who is trying to curry favour, e.g. Teacher's Pet.

;) And I think the word you were looking for is 'Dogging'. Obviously that term isn't used over there but does the same 'activity' make headline news in your media? If so, what's your word for it please?

D :) lly

The first time I decided to look all this up online I used the word diaper and even wrote stories with the word diaper and other American words in them.

Then when I decided to look it up again at the beginning of this year I was still mainly using the word diaper. And my Hannah story was actually started using diaper instead of nappy. I only changed it because I wanted to post the story and knew it would make no sense if I used American words and set it in England.

Now I tend to use the word nappy, and other English words. I don't mind reading the word diaper, or even saying it in my head, but I hate it when I hear someone else saying it outloud. The other day I was watching a random episode of Mad About You and they had just had a baby. So they were using the word 'diaper' a lot. I ended up having to turn the channel over.

Dogging, thats it.. Actually that means Putting someone down pretty seriously, such as

Man your friend Bob is a real assho**, to which the reply would be, man why you Dogging him?

I wasn't able to determine it's exact meaning from the sites people mentioned, Near as I could tell it was a threesome?? or public sex? if anyone could clue me in? I could tell you, what the word in my neighborhood is. But none the less I'm sure it's illegal. I would also think it's been on the news if not worse, I mean we do have Jerry Springer!

I'm still working on that Doggie or dogged thing from a privious post as to the just of that term!

Obviously that term isn't used over there but does the same 'activity' make headline news in your media? If so, what's your word for it please?

It must be my Canadian overlapping of British and American, but I can't figure out what the two of you are on about with those sentences".

Pipsqueak, there was a thread recently where an English guy said that he had been dogging with his girlfriend. Obviously some of the English people knew what that was, whereas most of the others had no idea.

The word means having public sex, and Dolly was asking if Americans have a similar word meaning public sex, or if they just call it public sex.

Yeah sunshine we have a word for it, Put your hands behind your back, you have the right to remain silent. Yeah we just pretty much call it Public sex, along with indecent exposure, although the later encompasses alot of catagories. Oh well, my first son was conceived during one of those little illegal activities. But the statute of Limitations has expired so ya can't tern me in.

On a second topic of the first, cause you mentioned it sunshine, are your different providences using different words or is it a Age thing, perhaps a race thing, as it tends to be in the U.S.?

(This subject is another minefield for unintentional puns! I just know I'm going to have to edit what I've written a few times :rolleyes: before I finally post it.)

Sunshine has explained it briefly but I want to add that the public sex doesn't just involve people who know each other, it also takes place between complete strangers who randomly turn up at a recognised 'dogging venue'. It includes voyeurism for those not actively engaged in sex themselves. (With those partaking knowing and enjoying the fact that they're being watched.)

There's a Beauty Spot about 3 miles from here that's had a lot of police and newspaper attention over the last year or so and they've had to close the cafe and nearby public loos because it's become a recognised 'dogging venue' with as many as 20-30 cars at any one time parked there for the purpose.

Oh, and drynot, I knew you were only joking, I saw it in my crystal ball!

D :P lly

On a second topic of the first, cause you mentioned it sunshine, are your different providences using different words or is it a Age thing, perhaps a race thing, as it tends to be in the U.S.?

I think it is a combination of all three depending on the word. Like if I was going to call a friends phone and hang up straight away (so that they would have my number then stored on their phone) then I would call that 'prank calling' them. I have a couple of friend who live in the next county to me who call it 'drop calling' someone.

And sometimes me and my brother can be talking and we will say words that my mum has never heard of.

I see Sunshine, I call the call thing, Logging. Not to be confused with the falling of tree's of course.

Alright darn it whats a Beauty spot??? Like a Beauty Salon here? like where a female goes and spends a outragous amount of money just for gossip and to get there nails and hair done?

It must be my Canadian overlapping of British and American, but I can't figure out what the two of you are on about with those sentences".

"Eh?"... at least I think that is how you all spell it :P

CDL...

Et vive la difference! I don't remember who said it right now, but there's a well known quotation (over here anyway) - "The Us & the UK - two nations divided by the same language." - or words to that effect.

Dolly: It was Sire Winston who said: "The U.K. and the U.S., two great countries separated by a common language."

Mo

Dolly: It was Sire Winston who said: "The U.K. and the U.S., two great countries separated by a common language."

Mo

Thanks Mo :) I knew I could rely on someone to help me out, that's why I didn't Google it at the time. Cheers! And "Jaw jaw, not war war!" is another Winston Churchill quotation that I nod vigorously at.

But I want to clarify the former quotation, lest it be misunderstood ;) I don't mean I enjoy the fact that we are divided by language, I mean it's fun and fascinating learning and uniting in our differences. I'd like to think it 'promises' to help us understand each other better and live more harmoniously and empathically together (call me an optimist/idealist if you like, but I usually try to see the glass half full, not half empty :P ). Communication is the key IMO.

Of course, it doesn't apply here, but I also very much enjoy the many different accents when English is spoken by people from other countries across the world (and also here in the UK of course, as we have many different regional accents.) In teaching English, I only work on accent when it's a barrier to communication and gets in the way of understanding. I would loathe it if everyone spoke English in RP (Received Pronunciation, or as some would have it, "The Queen's English.").

Hope that makes my previous post on the subject (as opposed to my 'Dogging' post, that is ;) ) a bit clearer.

its all the miles of separation that the countries have. English from England and the states took different turns. its the same with any language. some one from Spain would have a hard time in Mexico. same for the French going to Canada. the only thing that stays the same is the root language.

its all the miles of separation that the countries have. English from England and the states took different turns. its the same with any language. some one from Spain would have a hard time in Mexico. same for the French going to Canada. the only thing that stays the same is the root language.

It's the native language/dialect of invaders or immigrants that determines dialect more than distance. For example, there are many different Spanish dialects within South America, and even here in the UK we also have a number of different dialects (as opposed to accents, a different kettle of fish altogether) which have been determined by invasions and immigration since Roman times.

Added to that is Linguistic Drift, i.e. spontaneous changes which occur in all languages across time, e.g. Dogging :P

I am liking this thread too much! Thanks Repaid :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak, there was a thread recently where an English guy said that he had been dogging with his girlfriend. Obviously some of the English people knew what that was, whereas most of the others had no idea.

The word means having public sex, and Dolly was asking if Americans have a similar word meaning public sex, or if they just call it public sex.

I don't think our sex is quite that public...but we do have a local park known as a "gay" hangout, at least until the cops decided to arrest everybody...I think they got charged with things like disorderly conduct, lewdness, and indecent exposure...

What I mean is that I don't think the americans include the voyeuristic part of it...the guys would go off and hide in the woods and "have sex"...

I too believe that we are to countries seperated by a common language & I sometimes have fun with it because I have family on THAT side of the pond.....but I'd like to say that I speak American, not English; you guys speak funny (based on our inturpitation of words) ie: don't ask me if I want fag (you might get hit) rather offer me a smoke & a boot is what I wear on my foot, not part of a car..I put my stuff in the trunk.