LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Heavy Wetting And The Smell

During the day, if I'm going to change every 90 minutes, I can get by with one gauze prefold diaper (night weight), though I prefer two. If I have business meetings I'll go with one, but if I'm going to be in my office all day two is better. At night, however, things are a bit different. I have to wear a minimum of three diapers, and usually go with four. Last night, for instance, I wore four, went to bed at 8:00 p.m., and by 4:30 a.m. the diapers were saturated.

If I turn over or move I get a whiff from beneath the covers and it's pretty pungent. Because I don't want my room to smell like urine I'll get up around 4:00 and light a scented candle so when my wife gets up the room smells like the candle, not like a wet diaper. Changing leaves an odor, though it doesn't last, and I rinse my plastic pants every morning to help. What do you do to help with the odor of incontinence?

At work I use Diaperfresh to help mask the smell. Even that's not always enough. I just don't want people to be offended by the way I smell when I'm wet, so I'm open for ideas.

I drink plenty of water. It helps me. I've never had anyone tell me that I smell like pee and I can't smell urine after I have had an accident. My diapers are Tena's overnight and they seem to hold odor pretty well. I also wear rubber pants over them.

Rather than a scented candle, if you want to avoid an open flame, try Wal-Mart rose, gadenia or lilac (if you can find it) scented water in an electric potpurri heater or the like or try the Wal-Mart scented oils. There are also small electric warmers that let you put a container on it and then heat it that are smaller than the full-size potpurri heaters.scented water or oil is not as messy as potpurri.. You can also use a fan to cirulate the air. Flower scents make your room smell little-girl fresh. I am in the same very thick diapers from about 8:30 to 7:00 AM.. Did there not used to be something that you could put in diapers so that when it was wet, it had a "fresh" smell to it?

What goes in comes out. If you drink only water and enough of it, your urine will have little smell till it becomes stale- at least a few hours time ;) I've reached a plateau because I will not give up my coffee so I sometimes need a change when I'm only partially wet late mornings :whistling: Underhydration is the worst offender here even if it leaves you with more changes to deal with :screwy: Also keep in mind how sensitive noses are- that varies a lot so perhaps you're sensing what nobody else does. Also keep in mind that you get used to your own smell, so you may discover that you reek when you didn't know it :o Have someone who seems to have a 'normal' nose and is aware of your incontinence help you keep tabs on this so you can gauge when to clean up and change. Oh, and on cleaning- it is also very important since any urine in the skin pores will become stale and reek very quickly. My method is a rough well-soaped washcloth, and as hot a shower down there as I can stand to open the pores, wash, then a rinse in cool water to close the pores expelling what is in them, then a repeat of this process. Takes only an extra half minute in the shower to do this ;) and I shower before work and when I get home. It's a real b!tch washing like this when you get a rash but it keeps the skin healthier to start with so those are rarer- a good trade-off. Covering the odor just leaves you smelling of something else which can be just as much of a problem. I use a body powder in the morning which helps a little and doesn't seem to be noticed by anyone but I hesitate to go any further- someone may wonder what I'm trying to cover up and find a smell they never realized was there before!

This is just one other thing that you have to deal with and make adjustments for in your life when you're incontinent. Nobody said life was always going to be easy or always going be fun, just make the best of it that you can and smile at all of our human inadequacies- even your own :D

Bettypooh

Turtlepins,

there are three things to address -

Washing, an incorrectly rinsed out diaper will, once wet again, reactivate the smell of stale urine.

Urine Toxity - the less water your drink, the more concentrated your urine will get. Increase your water intake.

Medical complications - Strong urine smell may be a sign of many things (diabetes, diet, UTIs). A medical check up is advised.

You have not stated your weight. An hour an a half any you soak a cloth diapers would indicate a very high urine output. This would state that you have a high liquid input - or there is something that needs medical intervention. Are you on duretics etc as well as other medication - a side effect of the medication could be the strong urine smell - which is a second reason to consult medical advise. Considering your urine output, even if you were not incontinent, it would be extremely inconvenient to spend every 15mins in a bathroom. (Calculated from six wettings on in a cloth diaper to soak same) I strongly suggest that you talk to a medical professional to find the answers

• Like 1

I drink a gallon of water every day (measured) and often more. Ice water is my favorite drink. Physically I am borderline diabetic. During the day, at work, when I'm not drinking water I'm drinking brewed caffein-free ice tea. I drink 64 ounces or more of that. At breakfast I have a glass of milk and a glass of carrot juice. At lunch I have a glass of cranberry juice. Snacks include oranges, bananas, avocados, clementines, grapes, or blueberries. Since age 12 I have been a very heavy wetter. Blood sugar is checked twice daily and is normal (so far). I do take medicine for blood pressure. Thanks for all the suggestions. Love you guys and gals in here. You're the best!

Wearing disposables is much easier for odour prevention, as they have built in methods for dealing with it, one of the drawbacks with cloth diapers is that you don't have that so if you stay in a wet one for any length of time at all the smell is likely to be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Turtlepins,

the smells that eminate from the human body are created by bacteria. There are many ways to mask / reduce this smell, but the safest way is to injest activated charcoal capsules. It works as an internal deodrant. To keep the balance within the digestive system, for each 500mg activated charcoal capsule you take, also take 500mg cod liver oil capsules.

As with all medication, it is advisabe to consult your doctors to ensure that these do not adversely affect the medication you are currently taking.