LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Will Dd Be Blacked Out Jan 18Th?

sarah_ab

Just checking... i mean yeah obivously its the high profile sites that are going to make the point.. it was pointed out to me the bill has died, but i hope sites still do it to prove how much of a impact it would have if those sites were to be gone...

The bill hasnt "died" yet. It will, though, with the president's veto (if it even gets that far with all the opposition shown). The problem is we're going to see the same kind of legislation over and over again. We're fighting the media lobby groups that basically own Congress.

The bill hasnt "died" yet. It will, though, with the president's veto (if it even gets that far with all the opposition shown). The problem is we're going to see the same kind of legislation over and over again. We're fighting the media lobby groups that basically own Congress.

Just want to reiterate this. The SOPA itself may not come into fruition, but it's the start of what will be a number of similar bills that lobby groups would like to aggressively push. The blackout, and things like writing to your congressmen, are still just as important in letting our government know where we stand on acts similar to this one.

1) SOPA ain't dead yet. It's still on the schedules and the DNS blocking clause is still in the text.

2) While there have been steps towards killing SOPA (House bill) in the last few days, PIPA (also known as PROTECT-IP, the Senate bill) is still absolutely alive and kicking complete with it's own website blocking powers. They both must die in burning pit of lava...

Thought of a dumb joke just now. DD shouldn't have a "blackout." They should have a "brownout."

Moving on...

People, do not give up the fight. SOPA, and similar legislation including PIPA, is very dangerous legislation. You will continue to see this legislation coming through Congress. You have to act now, and stick to the fight.

• Like 1

If they can't pass it one way, they'll definitely try another. And, each time it'll be more desperate. For example, they'll stick individual parts in unrelated bills, where the main bill is something hard to vote against (political suicide).

SOPA (or something similar) would start a "war on online piracy" just like we have a "war on drugs."

It would result in the expenditure of millions of man hours and billions of dollars and never make any real headway towards addressing the problem.

To continue the comparison... Our jails are full to overflowing with people arrested for drug crimes, yet you can still buy drugs on the street. For every shipment the authorities intercept another ten get through. For every pot crop burned another five go undetected.

You can't win a war like that because you have outlawed something that represents the will of the people. The only thing you succeed in is emptying your own wallet.

It would result in the expenditure of millions of man hours and billions of dollars and never make any real headway towards addressing the problem.

[snip]

You can't win a war like that because you have outlawed something that represents the will of the people. The only thing you succeed in is emptying your own wallet.

Plenty of people would argue that's the one thing that the Federal Govt. excels at :P

Anyway, since when was common sense and rationality an influence in the House/Congress? The reason we're seeing these bills isn't because the representatives think piracy is a problem or that it's a problem they can solve. We're seeing these bills because the media industry lobbyists are paying them to push it through. Pause for thought - how much have you seen about the SOPA/PIPA protests on ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS news? Wonder why?!

i read an article that says every time a new technology comes into the mainstream, the entertainment and media industry tries to kill it through congress.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/innovation/articles/20111108/17562016686/history-hyperbolic-overreaction-to-copyright-issues-entertainment-industry-technology.shtml

Just like the NDAA, i think everyone should read the bill before jumping on a bandwagon against it. Congress rarely EVER blanket-outlaws something, there's almost always loopholes and other stuff.

While I certainly think that this is a battle worth fighting I don't think they've gone about it the right way. I mean blacking out websites? Kinda hurting your core audience isn't it?

Why not have a blackout the local cinema...or blackout your satellite TV....

Its kinda like saying you're going to protest against something by giving into demands and not doing it for a day.....

The blackouts are about awareness not sacrifice. Tech-aware people already know all about SOPA and what's wrong with it. Blacking out Wiki and making a loud statement on Google is about making sure that as many people as possible find out what's going on, including those who don't read the technology press.

You'll notice that the blackout has coverage on the mainstream media today - even though the big 4 networks, News Corp, etc, are stong supporters of SOPA and they don't particularly want to promote the negative arguments about it, the protest has become big enough that they can't ignore it :D

While I certainly think that this is a battle worth fighting I don't think they've gone about it the right way. I mean blacking out websites? Kinda hurting your core audience isn't it?

Why not have a blackout the local cinema...or blackout your satellite TV....

Its kinda like saying you're going to protest against something by giving into demands and not doing it for a day.....

yep, like trying to promote egg production by strangling chickens

The blackouts are simply striving to make people aware of what they stand to lose should these acts pass.

Ultimately I must question their successfulness because the people aren't voting on the acts, Congress is. Congress is not the people, it is the will of big business and special interests, which is why we are seeing these acts proposed in the first place. Production houses and record companies are huge conglomerates that have a lot of political clout.

• Like 1

It`s just kinda funny IMO....I mean if you want to legalize pot you don`t protest against the laws and lawmakers by NOT smoking it....right?

However I do support the protests against this type of legislation in whatever country proposes it.