LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

When To Change?

I recently started wearing diapers (day and night) because I was becoming unable to hold my urine in for even short periods of time (10 minutes or so after I'd use the bathroom, I'd have to go again, and if I didn't, I'd just end up wetting myself.)

My question is, how often do I need to change? I mean, if I go a little bit every now and then do I just let it go until I feel like I need a change? Or do I need to change like every time I go a little? (That seems inefficient and costly... but is it recommended?)

Also, it's really difficult for me to change in a public restroom... standing up and putting a diaper on is hard for me... does anyone have any suggestions?

I think that the most important thing is that if your having a difficult time holding it even if it is occasional you really need to consider seeing a doctor. :( I mean that is not something that you want to ignore if it is a serious problem. :( I mean I am not a doctor at all but if it was me and I was experiencing what you are describing I would make an appointment to see a doctor or maybe a urologist...not sure if you are suppose to see a doctor first or not. :unsure:

As far as putting on a diaper in public :) (or at all) what I do is I lean up against the wall and put it on that way. You could lean up against the wall of a stall or try to find private public bathrooms and lean up against the wall to put it on and obviously from there you would tap yourself up. :blush: As far as when you should change, that depends how much you wet and how fast. It also depends on your daily routine...etc. It also depends on your skin, and when you feel it is time to change. how I go is if you are worried about a leak, specially after you learn the diapers capacity, then you should change. :blush:

I can tell you that I wear Walmart's Assurance brand because there cheaper. I wear two diapers at one time (I poke an even pattern of holes or slits with a knife in the first diaper so it can leak into the second) And I change twice a day. I change in the morning before work and I change at night before bed. Now there is obviously two times during the day when I am not wearing, typically in between the time I wake up and I go to work. I also am not wearing from the time I come home and the time I decide to put on my night time diapers (I like to find time at some point to air out, you don't want to get a rash) :blush: also I am sure you know but you should always wash up in between changes as well. You don't want to get a bacterial infection or anything like that. :blush:

That is my system but it took me a while to get that system because it works for me. You need to find out what works for you. Most importantly though, if you are having serious problems holding and you are experience frequent urges to go, you really need to see a doctor. I think that is very important. You should never ignore medical problems. I mean I guess I am assuming you haven't yet based on your post. I just think that it is important that you see a doctor because if there is something seriously wrong, you don't want to ignore that. Please see someone if you are experiencing issues. :(

I have talked to several doctors about this issue... they said that given my history (when I was younger) with difficulty holding it in, I just seem to have a weak bladder.

They said it's possible that the condition is stress related, or rather it's become an issue because of stress.

I will of course ask again at my upcoming physical.

And thanks a lot for your advice. :)

OK, I am glad that you have talked to someone. :) I would not want anything bad to happen to anyone on here. I will say that the wall trick (I find) is way easier than changing yourself on the bed. :P but as far as the right time to change, it really depends on yourself. Just experiment and find out what works for you. Happy changing! :thumbsup:

I too like the Assurance brand (lots better than Depends) & the wall trick works good when out in public. I too have double diapered but for me I use sharp scissors to poke holes in the "inside diaper". When going out I have poked & folded them together & have them in a bag in my car/truck if needed. Sometimes I use the Dollar General brand baby diapers for the inside diaper. I just cut the tabs off then maybe poke a few holes in them.

It sounds like you may have OAB (over active bladder), SI (stress incon), or UI (urge incon) or some combo of these :mellow: There are bladder control assisting meds which you might want to look into with your doctor, or just wear diapers which is my own solution :D

How often you change is either as needed to keep your clothes dry or as often as it takes to keep your skin healthy :angel_not: The first will depend on what you're wearing. I always wear plastic panties which makes my cheap dollar-store pull-ups last a lot longer. If I didn't one wetting would wick through the cloth-like covering :angry2: This is an issue with all cloth-like covers but the better diapers aren't nearly as bad as the cheap ones :rolleyes: Plastic covered ones are better in that department but there aren't as many to choose from. You'll have to work that out yourself based on your needs. Minor leakage is easy to deal with, heavier wetting isn't, but just about any level of need has at least one brand and style of diaper made for it :)

Time will tell you about your skin but most people change every 4-6 hours, and many use barrier creams ;) Rashes are a real pain when you can't stay dry to let them heal :rant: I just wash the diaper area well at least twice a day with soap and as hot water as I can stand which opens the pores for deep cleaning, and then spot-treat rashes as needed. BTW I have tough skin and get almost no rashes :girl_happy: YMMV a lot in this- some need barrier creams all the time along with more frequent changes :( One last bit of advice is to try at least one readily available store brand diaper around home so that if you're away from home and get stuck, you'll know what size and style to get and what to expect from it :thumbsup: And welcome to DD!

Bettypooh

I recently started wearing diapers (day and night) because I was becoming unable to hold my urine in for even short periods of time (10 minutes or so after I'd use the bathroom, I'd have to go again, and if I didn't, I'd just end up wetting myself.)

My question is, how often do I need to change? I mean, if I go a little bit every now and then do I just let it go until I feel like I need a change? Or do I need to change like every time I go a little? (That seems inefficient and costly... but is it recommended?)

Also, it's really difficult for me to change in a public restroom... standing up and putting a diaper on is hard for me... does anyone have any suggestions?

Changing depends on a few factors that range from how much you drink to the temperature to the type of diaper you use.

If you have sensitive skin then you will need to change more often to keep diaper rash at bay. If it is hot out, then not only do you need to watch your fluid intake to avoid dehydration (it happens more easily when you are incontinent) but the heat will make it very unpleasant down there. Your best bet is to change when you notice the weight of the diaper.

Have you tried pull ups? It sounds like you are using briefs which in itself isn't bad. The only thing is that, like you said, changing in a public restroom can be a pain. I use to use Targets own brand of pull ups until they changed them to be like Depends. I now use Walgreens own brand. For briefs, I use Abena X-Plus but I only use them on long car rides when I don't have the luxury of being able to change as needed.

Allen

Diaperkitten,

the frequency you change is up to you, and this determines what type of protection garment you use. Protection range from ...

Pads - held in place by underwear

+ Easy and quick to change - while standing.

+ Small enough to not be noticeable

- Don't hold a lot,

- Leaks can occur

Belted diapers

+ Less easy to change, yet small enough to be able to be discrete, and change while standing in a toilet.

- Hold a little more than pads, but still not a huge amount.

- Leaks can occur

Pull-ups

+ Hold significant amount

+ Discrete when dry, but can be semi noticible when wet.

+ Since they are pull up, can be changed while standing easily

- Need to remove undergarments & shoes to change.

- Leaks can occur

Full mat diapers

+ Can have amazing absorbency

+ Contain poop as well as urine

+ Leaks are rare

- The more absorbant, the more bulk = more noticeable

- Gait of wearer can be significantly altered if wearing a wet one

- Difficult to change while standing.

- Need bag etc to carry clean one / soiled one to and from bathroom

Cloth Diaper

+ Can be layered to create more absorbancy, almost leak proof

+ Inexpensive over long time use

+ Reusable

- Expensive initial outlay

- Needs to be laundered

- Usually bulky and noticeable

- Needs to be replaced after a number of years.

As I tried to list, the choice of protection is determined on how often you wish to / need to change. A wet diaper can be worn for 4+ hours with little degregation to ones skin once one uses skin protection - diaper cream. However, if you try and alter your water balance, the smell of the urine - due to concentration levels, will disclose your wearing, and force you to change after each wetting. A diaper can be worn up to half its manufactures capacity without leakage. This will mean that if you void heavily, then you will need to change more often. It is not a good idea to postpone a changing cause your diaper can take one more wetting - as in life, you may be in a situation later where you can't change, and the inevitable will happen - you wet, and are in a position where you will be in the diaper for an hour or more.

Stress also increase urination frequency, (increase urine production) so the protection choice you make you must be fully comfortable and relaxed with it so it can perform to suit you.

• Like 2