LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Questions For People Who Wear Regularly

I have some questions, on behalf of a friend. I have never worn diapers to work, and generally don't wear for long periods at at time. Usually a few hours at a time anyway.

For people who do wear longer or 24/7 Is their a reasonable amount of time to expect a good diaper to last before requiring a change? Package say 12 hours but we have never gone that long in a single diaper. I never have on my own, and my friend hasn't either, are we heavier than normal wetters or is the 12 hour stuff just marketing mumbo jumbo. I encourage my friend to change more, but generally wets soon after changing so just changing at the first sign of wetness is not a good indicator. Just wondering if their is a good time or wetness indicator when a person knows they are pushing that diaper to it's limits. Does wearing plastic pants provide any protection against leaks if a disposable did go past its limits? I know they won't contain a flood, but if a disposable did leak would they keep a wetspot from spreading the outer pants? Would someone feel a diaper leaking into plastic pants and know they had to change quick to prevent other leaks? Is their anything else that could be a good line of defense against a leak? Cloth lined plastic pants, wearing underwear over a diaper?

Last question for people who work or are on a computer at home does anyone use a depend bed pad, or puppy type pad on a desk chair or any kind of plastic to protect a chair/carpet from leaks, or do you just trust the diaper and your own ability to change yourself?

Trying to figure out if he is waiting too long to change, well he obviously is, just trying to find ways to get him to change sooner or better protect himself if he does have accidents. Thanks

Guest dragonmaster4066

its all a matter of trial and error. as far as plastic pants, it does help with those leaks that show around the leg bands of diapers when you sit in a wet diaper but it won't help if you flood the diaper. i use a washable bed pad myself.

Well, the length of time you can expect to stay in a diaper is directly related to:

1: Quality of the diaper.

2: Fluid intake.

3: Amount of physical exertion.

I generally wear pullups to work, but my fiancee wears diapers.

If he is just sitting at the desk on the phone/computer all day a single Abri X-plus or Dry 24/7 can last him from open to close (8-4:30). If he spends a lot of time out in the warehouse or if it is hot and he drinks a lot of fluids he typically changes around 1:00 or 2:00. If he is wearing a thinner diaper such as Abri Extra, ATN or Attends he will obviously change more often than that.

Really it all comes down to having a diaper that you trust and knowing your body's habits. If you stick with 1 or 2 brands consistently you get an idea for how much they can hold so you know if you are pushing the limits or not.

everyone feels different about when to change there diapers, personally every 6hours is about my regular change,

plastic pants definitely help even if they only give you the time to go and change after the diaper leaks.

I did use plastic covering on my pc chair but find it very hot sometimes,

Hope some of this helps.

I think that most of the manufacturers with claims like "12 hours" are talking about overnight, when most people pee far less. It's quite possible to put a diaper on at say 10pm and have it last until the following lunchtime if you're having a lazy day and not rushing round, drinking lots of coffee, etc.

During active hours, I'd expect a top of the line diaper (Dry24/7 excluded*) to last about six hours and hope it would make it to eight. Obviously being a heavy wetter or drinking lots of fluids, esp. water and soda will bring that expected lifespan right down. Back in the days when I was drinking far too much coca cola, I could blow through an Abena M4 in a few hours.

It also depends how fast you wet the diaper as opposed to just volume. A diaper wet with small but frequent amounts will last longer than a diaper that's flooded with a bladder-full at a time a couple of hours apart.

Really, for purposes of work, you need to be more conservative, I suppose, unless you want to risk the secret getting otu. So long as it's a good diaper, a change at lunch time and a spare available just in case should be fine for most people... Limiting it to 3 or 4 hours like that should really cut down on the risk of smell too.

*That's not derogatory, I'd expect a Dry24/7 to last longer :P

Thanks for the feedback, he has been trying to go with 2 active ultra plus to get through a work day. I think he needs 3 each day. I have kind of taken on a caregiver role to someone addressing some childhood issues and has kind of put himself back in diapers for a while. He I takes ADD medicine that is described as a diuretic, and drinks a lot of water. I don't know much about ADD. I know he puts things off until the last minute, including changing when needed. just trying to figure out if their is a good routine to be in for changing. Will thinner diapers that require more changing be better than relying on the super thick ones?

Would a booster be better for someone who waits until the last minute and tends to leak. does a Quatro booster really make a thick diaper 4 times better than before?

I'd have to agree, there are a lot of factors to consider and the needed change time will vary. I use Abena L4's and drink a fair amount (wouldn't consider it extreme though), and will usually wait to change until I can feel the wetness migrating up my backside. This is usually an indicator for me that I will soon leak, but that could happen in as little as 4 hours or as much as 8 hours for me. I do also wear plastic pants over my disposable at work as they do catch some leaking if/when it starts. 12 hours is stretching it a bit. I couldn't go that long even overnight but since I'm up after 8 hours and start wetting again soon after 10 hours is about my max.

Everyone is right in saying that it depends on you and what diaper you are using. It is a lot of trial and error. Me personally, I wear practically 24/7. I say practically because there are times where I am not wearing but I always wear to work and I work retail sales on contract phones so I am busy all day around customers, managers, employees and I wear every day. :thumbsup: I use to wet fairly heavy at once but since I have been doing 24/7 i have been wetting more smaller amounts. :unsure: I think that is healthier anyways. For me, it is difficult to get a change during my busy work day so I wear 2 depends maximum protection diapers at a time (one with holes). my typical work day is about 8 to 9 hours so Usually those diapers last me through that and them some and depends suck for absorption but they do have a good leak guard when you are doubled up! so for me that works but you just got to find what works for you. :blush: I am so conferable with my diapers now that I don't bring underwear anymore. I mean I have an extra pair in the car just in case of an emergency but i just wear diapers and khakis! :P

on my day off I make that my relax day so I will go out in auropostle sweat pants and my diapers and obviously shirt shoes...etc but no undies. :wub: I crinkle loudly and I use them freely and no one has a clue. people in the outside world are so oblivious I mean when I am out on my day off, someone could literally pull my pants down and not only would it be easy but they would see my diapers to. :blush: but i am also very careful so just make sure when you get comfortable with it that you still try to be somewhat careful.

For me, it is difficult to get a change during my busy work day so I wear 2 depends maximum protection diapers at a time (one with holes).

This is kind of what I was taking about. You are buying cheaper diapers but literally paying double to achieve the 8 hours of protection. (ie.about $1.05/diaper = $2.10 for 8 hours) You could actually go with using just one Bambino or Abena diaper (ie. about 1.38/diaper = #1.38 for 8 hours). If you're hurting for money then obviously the better quality diaper is also the cheaper price overall (unless you don't get a good fit of course).

This is kind of what I was taking about. You are buying cheaper diapers but literally paying double to achieve the 8 hours of protection. (ie.about $1.05/diaper = $2.10 for 8 hours) You could actually go with using just one Bambino or Abena diaper (ie. about 1.38/diaper = #1.38 for 8 hours). If you're hurting for money then obviously the better quality diaper is also the cheaper price overall (unless you don't get a good fit of course).

Well I change twice a day so I generally go through 4 diapers a day. :unsure: I buy about 7 packs of diapers a month so spend about $97.93 a month in diapers before tax. that means I go through 112 diapers a month. each pack (where I usually get them) is $13.99 and they come with 16 in a pack. SO basically that means I spend about $0.83 a diaper when I do what I currently do now. ^_^

If I where to switch to bambino's cheapest diapers (classico)and assume that one diaper would last me 8 hours, I would only need 56 diapers a month. ^_^ I would have to buy a case of 48 and 2 bags of 8 (since they don't make a case of 56)which total would be spending $109.51. :o That would make it $.58 a piece for a bambino diaper. I would be spending $11.58 more a month for diapers and I would have an extra 8 diapers that technically I could use but Even if I where to save those 8 for next month and only buy a case every other month, I would break even. :closedeyes:

My problem right now is two things; my first problem is I am having a hard time finding Depends Maximum Protection briefs because Depends is starting to faze them out. :( So eventually I do need to replace what I am currently wearing and that will put me back into a place like timmyc because I will have to find a new diaper and get comfortable with them. :unsure: My second problem is simply that I am sick of having to poke holes in the first diaper and then putting on two diapers. :angry: That is becoming a hassle and I would like to for once put on one diaper that can handle this leaky puppies wettings! :blush: I really like to be honest, abu cushies :wub: but I am worried that they will not hold up like I need them to :mellow: and also I am use to three tapes as to only one like abu cushies have. I guess the point is that it is definitely a trial and error. lol :lol:

You got to find what works for your schedule and not everyone is the same, I mean I have absolutely no problem with wearing a diaper for 8 or more :blush: but some like to change sooner then that. For me, two changes a day (once before work and once for bed time) works for me. now doing that there is time from when I shower in the morning and when I change for work and also time in between the time I get home and the time I get ready for sleepy time when I am not wearing. That gives me time to air out and also ... :blush: take care of some business ...since diapers are not sexual for me anyways and then I don't have rash problems. :thumbsup:

You just have to know your body. I drink a good bit of fluids, usually non-alcoholic, because of my metabolism and my propensity for migraines if I don't. It also means a lot of fluid output. I have learned that if I drink as much as I want, I'll go through an Abena L4 every 4 hours or so. If I drink a more reasonable amount of fluids, in cooler weather with lower activity, an L2 will last just as long (I use booster pads in both). So, trial and error, YMMV, and I recommend plastic pants even with disposables to "hold your act together" better. They also prevent snags!

Some questions? How about a buncha questions! :D Ok, here goes. It's tough for me to say how long a good diaper will last since I usually wear cheap ones :blush: and YMMV quite a bit, depending on a number of things. A good diaper should last at least 4-8 hours, and unless you hve tough skin, you'd better go for the shorter number because of the possibility of a rash :( There's only one way to know when a diaper has reached it's limits- and by then you've gone too far :o If you use the same brand enough, you'll learn what it feels like approaching the limit and know it's time to change :D With my daytime pull-ups, If they're wet in back as high as the padding goes, that's it- time to change. With cloth diapers if the sides are wet to the top, same thing ;) Plastic panties help with any diaper, but remember- they do not contain liquid; they only keep the wet diaper from wicking through to your clothing. You may get some puddling in the middle, but your diaper will absorb that as long as it can. By that point, leakage is imminent or already happening- time to change :whistling: In my chair, if I feel a leak is possible I sit on an old towel, but it's usually not necessary B)

In short, changing fairly often is a good idea; say every 4 hours until you learn the diaper's capacity and your own resistance to rashes. Cleaning between changes is critical to avoiding rashes. Rashes (and how much you can spend on diapers) will be what usually limits how long each one will go for you :angel_not:

Remember science class? It's time for you to experiment again :thumbsup:

Bettypooh

When I worked at walmart, I was usually in a secure xplus with either a Pampers Baby Dry or Luvs booster. It'd last me 11-14 hours. My fluid intake was usually a half gallon at least while at work and a half gallon when I got home.

I don't use chair pads, just an extra expense.

For people who do wear longer or 24/7 Is their a reasonable amount of time to expect a good diaper to last before requiring a change?

It depends on the diaper. Thicker, more reliable diapers (such as Abena, Molicare, Bambino, Dry247) can last 2-7 hours in my experience. The time between changes also depends on fluid intake/ammonia in pee, food intake (if the diapers are used for pooping), and how sensitive your skin is. The last one can also be more of a preference thing, too. For example, my skin can withstand several hours in a wet diaper, so I usually wear them until the point of saturation - right before leak. Poop, however, is something my skin can't handle for very long...So I change a lot sooner.

Package say 12 hours but we have never gone that long in a single diaper.

Yeah, that's marketing BS, at least with disposables.

Just wondering if their is a good time or wetness indicator when a person knows they are pushing that diaper to it's limits.

Wetness indicators fade, change color, or distort at the first sign of wetness. I usually don't trust them. My best piece of advice is to try out a few brands of diapers and find a few good brands that you really like. Time and experience will get you into a pattern with those diapers.

Does wearing plastic pants provide any protection against leaks if a disposable did go past its limits? I know they won't contain a flood, but if a disposable did leak would they keep a wetspot from spreading the outer pants?

Not really, no. it might buy you a minute to change if it's a small leak, but plastic pants are mostly meant for use with cloth from my understanding. The outer shell of a disposable doesn't absorb like cloth does. Therefore, any leaks caught by the plastic pants would just puddle until you sat down, and THEN leak all over your pants.

Would someone feel a diaper leaking into plastic pants and know they had to change quick to prevent other leaks?

I've never felt it when I tried the disposable + plastic pants combo, but I could tell my diaper was over-saturated already by the feel of the diaper.

Is their anything else that could be a good line of defense against a leak? Cloth lined plastic pants, wearing underwear over a diaper?

You probably could wear a pair of cloth training pants over the diaper with a pair of plastic pants for small leaks if you wanted to. The cloth would absorb the leak and the plastic pants would keep the wet cloth from messing up your pants. The best way to prevent a leak in my experience, though, is to change often until you get a feel for each brand that you use.

Last question for people who work or are on a computer at home does anyone use a depend bed pad, or puppy type pad on a desk chair or any kind of plastic to protect a chair/carpet from leaks, or do you just trust the diaper and your own ability to change yourself?

Both! If I'm wearing an unfamiliar brand, sitting in a chair that isn't mine, and/or hasn't been leaked on before, I'll use a washable bedpad when I can. That doesn't mean I slack off on changing, though. Also, I change more often when I'm outside or at someone's house than when in my own home. If I leak on my own hardwood floor, it's not a huge deal. If I leak in a public place or in someone else's home...Yeah, that's a big deal.

I hope I helped.

~ moogle

Timmy,

There has yet to be any proof that a method has been perfected which suspends the natural process of urine turning to ammonia. To a certain extend additives to diapers thought to be safe have managed to mask odors of stale urine briefly.

So, it might well be true that if you only void 100ml of urine an hour, a disposable rated by lab test to hold 1200ml could last you 12 hours. Of course as a practical matter with even 600ml that diaper might suffer squeeze out, so it would leak while you are seated and move just the least bit wrong. Also, depending on weather and ventilation in the room, after 5-6 hours people near you will detect odor from your diaper.

People who apparently wear diapers because they want to say they cannot change diapers during the work day.

Well, hundreds of thousands of incontinent adults in the USA must wear some kind of diaper to work. Over 19 million people in the USA purchased at least one package of adult incontinence products in 2009. In addition about 3.5 million adults in the USA needed diapers while in some sort of hospital, nursing home, etc where someone else bought their diapers.

Those of us who are incontinent and work for a living find ways to change discreetly as needed.