LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Reasons Why People Cant Wear Diapers,

I am going to Siberia tonight for a few days, doing some research work into climate change with some fellow scientists. my problems is the temperature there will be between -20 and -40 degrees Celsius.

As i always do (before traveling anywhere new) i researched the AB scene in the area, and was very surprised to find 3 like minded people, i e-mailed them asking any advice and if they fancied meeting, I was happy to get a response saying they would love to meet but the Quote below shocked me a bit.

"Just a quick HEALTH WARNING about wearing diapers here, it is strongly recommended that you do NOT wear diapers whilst outside in Chokurdakh, as the temperatures in the winter are so low if you wet your diaper the pee will freeze in under 10 minutes and if this happens it can freeze to your privates causing mild frostbite or worse. Sorry to be bit negative but thought you should know before you get off the plane in a wet diaper. PS its fine to wear when inside and curled up near out log fire."

So reading this i wondered has anyone else ever been told they cant wear diapers for any reason........

As reasons go, literally freezing your bits off is quite a good one :lol: One has to wonder how incontinent people manage over there though - there must be incontinent people who presumably have to go out from time to time, even if it's ruddy freezing outside so there must be a way of dealing with it. I'd have thought a catheter wouldn't work either, it would freeze in the tube, no?

i find it hard to believe that urine would actually freeze. Even if it were the case that it was cold enough to freeze the diaper, if you didn't wear a diaper, then it would be your privates freezing. You shouldn't have a problem wearing or wetting a diaper as long as you have clothing that is designed for temperatures in the -40 to -20C range. This would include layers, including a base layer of long johns, an insulating layer of fleece or down/synthetic fill, and then an outer shell (this would be for both top and bottom). Be sure to have a windproof face mask and hat, as well as goggles, because at that temperature a good strong wind can freeze your eyes shut. And remember the 30/30/30 rule. 30 degrees below zero, 30 mile an hour wind, exposed skin freezes in 30 seconds.

Hope this helps a bit.

-warpiper

• Like 1

Also scorching heat like when it's 30 degreees c or more in the summer, I don't wear then. Or ocassionally wear and will change very often.

As heat-extreme heat makes you sweat easily, wet or dry diaper.

I can proffer to you a thousand other things a researcher should be doing to prepare for an important scientific expedition to Siberia regarding climate shift questions, and none of them involved asking Siberians if they wear diapers. I don't call BS on this (as that's not something I chance to do :)...)however I find it unlikely this is how a serious researcher is spending his pre-investigation time.

• Like 1

I remember watching a National Geographic show a few years ago about the Inuit. One of the things they mentioned was that the babies could not wear diapers because they would freeze. If I remember correctly, they used dried moss or something like that...

CDL

I can proffer to you a thousand other things a researcher should be doing to prepare for an important scientific expedition to Siberia regarding climate shift questions, and none of them involved asking Siberians if they wear diapers. I don't call BS on this (as that's not something I chance to do :)...)however I find it unlikely this is how a serious researcher is spending his pre-investigation time.

brownie,i have agreed with alot of the tings i have seen wright.but dont you think he allready did his outher research befor he researched for ab's in that area?

As reasons go, literally freezing your bits off is quite a good one :lol: One has to wonder how incontinent people manage over there though - there must be incontinent people who presumably have to go out from time to time, even if it's ruddy freezing outside so there must be a way of dealing with it. I'd have thought a catheter wouldn't work either, it would freeze in the tube, no?

Well while not over there... This early winter here in Mt we had a solid 2 weeks of hunting season in 20 below weather... I'm in my diapers 24/7 and was out hunting, walking, hiking sweating going up hill in 1-2 ft of snow... wet attends didn't freeze up on me but they did get cold after I stopped for my watching and stalking spells. But it was never cold enough to freeze me while wearing them...

Now I don't throw garbage out in the woods ever so I had quite a few diapers in the back of my ford... and let me tell you they do freeze when in the cold and in the truck... They freeze rock hard too. of course there is snow and ice around so take it as you see it...

I remember watching a National Geographic show a few years ago about the Inuit. One of the things they mentioned was that the babies could not wear diapers because they would freeze. If I remember correctly, they used dried moss or something like that...

CDL

The inuit used the moss with caribou skin before the western culture brought them disposable diapers WHICH they use today.

The moss and soft caribou skin use was just their early substitute for cloth diapers as we used years ago...

The freeze issue isn't even noted.

It is noted that the moss could be washed and used again and again...

http://www.everyculture.com/multi/Ha-La/Inuit.html

i'd say trust the guy from siberia... i had a friend who studied abroad in northern russia almost on hte border of siberia she couldn't even explain how cold it got, and she was there in the summer!!!!

and good luck on your trip it sounds awesome!!!

I can't wear diapers because I have three legs.

-DR

I hear that Bam-bam-bam-binos will be out soon with a new version for those with three legs :angel_not:

Please hold your breath till they arrive on the market :whistling: I can see diapers freezing if they got cold enough- urine isn't antifreeze- but at what temperatures? And how would those temperatures reach that deeply if you wore the proper polar clothing? Because if a diaper would freeze, then with regular dry underwear certain sensitive body parts would at least get frostbite at that temperature :o I can see how leaks could be dangerous, but not simply wearing a somewhat wet diaper.

Bettypooh

I'm wondering though, often the people who live there their whole lives have a different cold tolerance so perhaps they do not need to wear the same amount of layers as someone who is just visiting from a warmer climate? so for them... the diapers may freeze because their are less layers... i know in many uber cold climates when it hits 32oF they go out in shorts and tee shirts, for me thats absurd.. but there, its like a heat wave...

Thanks everyone for the comments, most seem to agree with my thoughts that with the right clothing over diapers i shouldn't have a problem with them freezing, but will soon know for sure, when i get there.

By the way i have been researching the work i will be doing there for months and i have covered every scientific possible outcome of my research but as well as this i have a social life and like to explore places i visit after i have done my research, for me this includes investigating other AB life's if they want and i can find anyone. this has no negative effect on my scientific work in any way.

I'm wondering though, often the people who live there their whole lives have a different cold tolerance so perhaps they do not need to wear the same amount of layers as someone who is just visiting from a warmer climate? so for them... the diapers may freeze because their are less layers... i know in many uber cold climates when it hits 32oF they go out in shorts and tee shirts, for me thats absurd.. but there, its like a heat wave...

The last few days here in MN, the tempuratures were actually in the 40's and very low 50's almost setting records for this time of the year. One week ago we were in -30F temps so in just a week the tempurature swung nearly 80 degrees F!!! It was like a heat wave and you could see many in shorts or no jacket as I was. It was actually pretty nice. It's all relative though because if it were the summer months and it dipped into the 40's and 50's, then it'd feel really cold again and people would bundle up more. Weird I know but an 80 degree change in temp in a week felt like it was summer again.

As for the pee freezing, sure, could see it. Would be like holding an ice pack against your bits. It's the wettness that is the problem and you probably would freeze them, even without the diaper and just underwear because there's no moisture. The moistures the problem. Wearing a diaper and not peeing in it may help though in keeping your bits warm!!

I know exactly what your talking about... I never wear a coat until it gets cold at 20 to 40 degrees F I wear a shirt jacket around here...

Today is totally warm it is 26 F and I'm sitting in my tee shirt and diaper in the house comfortable setting of 60 F on the thermostat ... when I was outside feeding earlier this morning at 5 I was in my sweats over my night diaper and had my tee and light insulated hooded flannel Shirt/Jacket n gloves in the snow... Good day with 5 inches of new snow...

When I was training horses for a living we were getting ready to ship from Idaho to Arizona in January... We drove all night down to Phoenix to check out the track before we shipped... it was 15 degrees or so when we left and we had on levis, t shirt, shirt and a fairly medium weight jacket till we got in the car. When we drove into the track at Phoenix (Turf Paradise it truly was right down to the non-edible oranges on the backside lol that is another story) about 7-8 o'clock we saw people in heavy sweaters and jackets so we grabbed a jacket and opened the door... BIG MISTAKE it was 45 or a little higher and we thought the people were nuts.... immediately we took off our jacket n long sleeve shirts right down to our tees. We thought the people were crazy to be bundled up in the heat!!!!

When I shipped down there a few weeks later I was still training in levi's n tee shirt... but after a while march I did start wearing a long sleeve shirt for awhile as we acclimatized. Inlate April it was like 90 and even hit the 100's a couple times. I waited till the futurity was over and shipped to Northern California that night never so glad to get out of a hot hot climate... Never went back!!!!

Interesting subject. Wet diapers in the back of a pick up truck in freezing weather will freeze. Urine will freeze. The difference is that the wet diapers are sitting by themselves in a pick up truck. The bed of the truck is not gennerating any heat and is the tempreture of it's surroundings. In the case of a person in the same situation wearing a wet diaper, the thing to remember is the person's body heat will heep the diaper from freezing unless it's a situation where it is so very cold and the person isn't properly dressed. I would think that if you were out in a place that was that cold, you would have hypo-thermia issues yourself weather you had a wet diaper on or not, had you not been properly dressed for the climate. If the weather out is cold enough to freeze a wet diaper and cause frostbite, then I would expect the person isn't dressing warm enough to be protected from the elements weather they have a diaper on or not. I would expect people in that region to be wearing clothing made for super cold tempretures, otherwise people who have to work out doors wouldn't be able to do so and survive! I would also think that a diaper with plastic pants over it and maybe even a plastic backed diaper with plastic pants would be able to handle the cold better than even regular underpants since the plastic pants would act as a sort of a wind break to the diaper and the thickness of the diaper would be more insulating. Think of a person in a similar situation wearing the same out door clothing but cotton BVD or Jockey briefs instead of a diaper. They are so much thinner than diapers that I would expect the person's privates would get too cold even if their underpants were compleatly dry if their outer garments wern't warm enough to protect them.

Sounds like the warning here is that if you wear a wet diaper and your outer clothes are not warm enough to protect you, your diaper will freeze and you will get frostbite. My opinion is you will have hypo thermia problems in that same situation anyway, weather you are wearing a wet diaper or not. It just makes sense! Maybe they need electric diapers, like electric blankets to keep people warm! There would be a shock hazzard, I'm sure! Maybe they put those chemical hand warmers in or around their diapers to keep them warm in the winter! Just kidding!

• Like 1

I hope you would notice the cold on your kibble before it froze. Unless your work (and sounds like the case) will both include long term exposure with limited chance to change i would not worry too much. Now if when you feel you should change you know you might not be able to for a long time. Then you could have a problem because shortly after you feel the cold you will go numb...

I can't wear diapers at work, because I work for family, and my family is rabidly anti-diaper. I also can't wear diapers at any time when I'm otherwise around them, for the same reason. It's just not worth the fight that would ensue... But, I can wear them here in my own house and they can't do anything about that.

I feel compelled to debunk this myth... I lived and worked in Alaska for several years. In the Interior, and especially inside the Arctic Circle, the temperatures can easily reach -40 degrees or below. The coldest I've been in was -49 deg F, not quite -50 but close enough to know.

The diaper kept me warm, and I dare say warmer than without. The diaper, like my other layers of clothes, are inside the clothing; and the clothing reflects heat back at the body. The diaper, dry or wet, acts as an additional layer to provide warmth. Even when wet, the diaper stays very warm (the urine is warm when it come out, of course; and the body keeps it warm once in the diaper).

At these temperatures, even with Mickey-Mouse boots and two pair of thick wool socks, my toes would go numb after a few hours; my nose and fingertips were a give; but everything else stayed nice and warm...

One of the nicest things about DD is the vast number of members with such diverse experiences- you're bound to hear from someone who has BeenThereDoneThat!

Bettypooh

I've worn a soaked diaper in a blizzard since I had to shovel a foot of snow and couldn't tell the people i was with that they needed to a wait a minute while i changed my diaper. It was cold, however unless you're wearing one too small that it is constantly rubbing against the admiral and his two generals then you're okay.

Well then, if it's okay to wear a wet diaper at -50F and actually keep you warm then would you wear a full snow suit that's made like a diaper and soaked? Think about that one!!! Bet you wouldn't!

I have gone out in the -20 and -30F numerous times wearing only jeans over my diaper. You don't notice it right away as it's just plain cold but after coming inside, there was a definite chill to the diaper and it was lower than my body temp. I took it off and my usually warm and comforting wet diaper was soggy and cold and definitely not body temperature. This leads me to believe that in certain circumstances, it may be possible to freeze your diaper up if other clothing is not worn over the top of the diaper, other then a pair of pants. You would probably have to do it for an extended period of time and you'd probably be frostbit in other areas as well. Overall, for the most part, I don't think for the average person it's going to be an issue but given certain circumstances, I could see it being an issue. This is kinda like Mythbusters. I'd say it's Plausible.

• Like 1

Yes, I have gone to the malls in the winter when it's below freezing with a wet diaper on under my jeans. When walking from the car to the mall entrance I know my diaper drops in tempreture. I can feel it being a little cooler and then once inside the mall it warms back up. It's actually a pretty nice feeling. It happens in just a few short minutes, but keep in mind that my diaper isn't freezing! My body heat still keeps it warm, not just as warm as it is when inside a heated building. Also keep in mind, I had on a disposable diaper and jeans over it! No plastic pants or insulated pants! Just jeans in about 10 degree weather. Sometimes come in from the cold and feel how cold your pants are. Why should your underwear be an exception? I would expect a wet diaper to cool down a little in a situation like that! That's why when in very cold weather for an extended period it's important to dress properly to protect against the cold.