LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cloth Diaper Versus Disposables?

Some ppl here wear for need (medical reasons) and the cost of disposbales can add up. There are advantages and disadvantages to both cloth and disposales. However, I like cloth for night use ans wearing when I home. To me, cloth diapers feel more comfortable compared to disposables even though wearing cloth diapers requires the use plastic pants. I don't recall any resent times when I had a leak at night when I was wearing cloth diapers and plastic pants.

Everything is relative I guess. During the day if I wear disposables, I like the Abena XPlus of any of the disposables on the market. With so many different places selling to cloth diapers and plastic pants I tend to stay with what I know works for me and that means staying with the same manufactures. Anyone that sells cloth diapers and plactic pants will always tell you that you should buy the products they sell. As such, having a forum such as this can be helpful by just asking other ppl for their recommendations before buy any of these products.

When it comes to deciding which is best,...... disposable vs. cloth, it really depends on the person and the quality of product(s) they plan to use. Quality makes a HUGH difference in both types of diapers.......Cloth and/or disposables. Example,.....if Wings were the ONLY dispoable diaper available,.......I would use cloth diapers all the time 24/7. However, in my opinion, the two biggest disadvantages of cloth diapers is the investment in cloth diapers themselves,..... plus the expense of plastic pants. Quality doesn't come cheap. I'm not 100% sold on the argument that the continued use of cloth diapers will save money compared to disposables. I kinda think (just my opinion) its too close to call. Besides,.... in addition to the cost of using cloth diapers and plastic pants,..... there is the hassle of washing diapers. If you only use cloth diapers for night use it really is pretty simple so rather than having a big hassle (LOTS of diapers to wash), you have a smaller one....fewer diapers to wash but none the less, you still have the hassle of washing diapers. I use a large 54 quart diaper pail so I only wash diapers either once a week, or whenever the diaper pail gets full......whichever comes first.

All of my disposables diapers are paid for by the Vetrans Administration, (VA) so at least I don't have that expense. If I had the expense of buying disposable diapers however, I would use cloth diapers more often in hopes of saving money. When your living on a fixed income,..... any savings is helpful.

Just my thoughts on the topic. :whistling:

Well, I had a social worker tell me that cloth diapers and rubber panties are much cheaper with regard to babies. I guess she knows since part of her job was to advise clients on economical use of resources' and she was livid, too. I do think that adult cloth diapers are higher priced in comparison to baby diapers. A dozen thick baby prefolds are about $18 US which is the price of 1 adult equivalent and audlt rubber panties are also about the same factor over. However waring disposables without panties is working without a net. I have had tape failures. This practice, regarding babies, is very new. only about the last 20-25 years. I never fell for those claims

This may be academic. I can foresee a state by state ban on non-institutional use of disposable items; especially with infants, what with disposable bibs and bottle liners. First, they eat up landfill. Second 85% of the users do not use them properly in that they are supposed to be well rinsed before disposal. Again, this is mostly baby use. This can be a problem with bio-degradables since they will release their content into, usually, the water tables.

Whoever can bring down the price of quality adult diapers and rubber panties should make a fortune

I paid under $150 five years ago for six dozen 21x40 gauze and a dozen 36x36 heavyweight birdseye.

This year I bought a new dozen heavyweight 36" birdseye's, delivered in less than a week, for under $30.

The gauze diapers have lots of life left in them. My expences are two xtra loads of laundry a week, maybe,

and new plastic pants PRN.

I have saved over $2000.00 dollars, easily!

I wear for comfort and convenience most anytime I want, everywhere.

Despite the massive propaganda from Procer & Gamble, Kimberly-Clark, etc, disposables are not GREEN,

do more environmental damage,

and are truely much more expensive.

HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS

Well, I had a social worker tell me that cloth diapers and rubber panties are much cheaper with regard to babies. I guess she knows since part of her job was to advise clients on economical use of resources' and she was livid, too. I do think that adult cloth diapers are higher priced in comparison to baby diapers. A dozen thick baby prefolds are about $18 US which is the price of 1 adult equivalent and audlt rubber panties are also about the same factor over. However waring disposables without panties is working without a net. I have had tape failures. This practice, regarding babies, is very new. only about the last 20-25 years. I never fell for those claimsThis may be academic. I can foresee a state by state ban on non-institutional use of disposable items; especially with infants, what with disposable bibs and bottle liners. First, they eat up landfill. Second 85% of the users do not use them properly in that they are supposed to be well rinsed before disposal. Again, this is mostly baby use. This can be a problem with bio-degradables since they will release their content into, usually, the water tables. Whoever can bring down the price of quality adult diapers and rubber panties should make a fortune

I paid under $150 five years ago for six dozen 21x40 gauze and a dozen 36x36 heavyweight birdseye.This year I bought a new dozen heavyweight 36" birdseye's, delivered in less than a week, for under $30.The gauze diapers have lots of life left in them. My expences are two xtra loads of laundry a week, maybe,and new plastic pants PRN.I have saved over $2000.00 dollars, easily!I wear for comfort and convenience most anytime I want, everywhere.Despite the massive propaganda from Procer & Gamble, Kimberly-Clark, etc, disposables are not GREEN, do more environmental damage, and are truely much more expensive.HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS

1. It's not more environmentally friendly.

2. The cost varies depending on many factors.

3. They are not something people who need them CAN use on a daily basis, period.

A ban on such things is not only unconstitutional (of course that hasn't stopped greenfreaks yet) it's morally wrong as well. As for the "only two extra loads of laundry," that's expensive and VERY bad for the environment in so many ways. The soap and waste goes straight to the water supply, then after being filtered gets dumped into landfills anyway, along with the plastic containers, bet you didn't think about that.

If you prefer for personal taste, fine, but don't feed people propaganda about it. just say you like them better.

"

3. They are not something people who need them CAN use on a daily basis, period."

Gee, you mean that incontinence did not exist before disposable diapers were invented? If I follow your logic, then if these are banned, incontinence will cease to exist. It must be that people can use something other than disposables because obviousely at some time, they did. If you wish to argue with me, where were you in 1965? 1960? In fact disposable diapers were controversial in the early 1980's. It is wise to do opposition research and check the age of the person whom you are trying to lecture. True, age does not confer wisdom but it does offer experience, which is a pre-requisite for wisdom.

While I feel the same way about greenies as you, only more so. Even the most ardent anit-greenie, such as me, even the most libertarian who is still on the rails, such as me. will agree that, if something is a general hazard, it can be kept from general use because such use is a threat to others. The Constitution is not a suicide pact. Besides this would be done on a local to state basis, which is in keeping with the Ninth Amendment. In fact it is the extreme cases that the greenies and other leftists use to promote their agenda forgetting that "hard cases make bad law" and trying to cash in on actions that were dictated by reason.. Now, are you willing to have an EPA agent in every home where disposable items are used to make sure that they are properly disposed of? I have had tons of eyewitness accounts, mostly from owners of rental propery of the results of improper disposal of baby diapers, sucn as dogs tearing them out of garbage containers and scattering them around the property. Beyond that, since it is localities and other entities that operate dumps, they have the first right to decide what they will accept or do you want the Feds swooping down on them and overriding their judgement. Part of the dump problem is the NIMBY syndrome which is a populist movement. If you decide to Feederalize it, by overriding local and State decisions, be careful of what you ask for... If you do not know it. the EPA is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Greens.e.g. the "Smartway Leaf". Our parents were not greenies but they told us "You don't shit up the place", in this case, literally.

Now, as to washing expense. To dispose of these things properly, they must be better rinsed than a cloth diaper since the cloth diaper will be washed later and the matter in the cloth diaper does not get outside the sewer system, which, unless it is let to deteriorate, can handle this material, so they still must be water-treated pretty well.

Back to the firs statement, If you want to tell me that it is inconvenient to live without disposables, we can agree. But there are tons of inconveniences in this world. How convenient is it for the persons who did not benefit from your, or anyones, use of disposable diapers to have to boil water because of e coli from fecal contamination?

I remember being in cloth up to age maybe seven/eight with rubber pants over the top. But this was 1970. I have been in disposables ever since. Some mild research told me that the first disposables were around a while before that.

What is best? I could not imagine wearing cloth now because I am so used to disposable nappies and I hate changes for no major reason.

"

3. They are not something people who need them CAN use on a daily basis, period."

Gee, you mean that incontinence did not exist before disposable diapers were invented? If I follow your logic, then if these are banned, incontinence will cease to exist. It must be that people can use something other than disposables because obviousely at some time, they did. If you wish to argue with me, where were you in 1965? 1960? In fact disposable diapers were controversial in the early 1980's. It is wise to do opposition research and check the age of the person whom you are trying to lecture. True, age does not confer wisdom but it does offer experience, which is a pre-requisite for wisdom.

You think the modern world is the same as 1800? 1700? 0? Do you think they give you money to sit on your butt all day at home when incontinent? No, I'm active, I like being active, it's just impossible to do so without something you can quickly change and discard now, because modern life is not as simple.

From an essay I read in about 1984:

The economics, how good they were and the tactile esthetics of the super absorbant gels ("they feel like raw liver when wet"). Leads were not much of an issue because it was still more often than not that some kind of waterproof pants were worn over them

Also, much of the controversy was in the US and most of that around baby diapers. Adult disposables were modelled after baby diapers and sanitary napkins

Here's the thing, for the environmental impact the new plastics are made far more biodegradable, as we have learned that we don't need to use oil to make them. So even if landfills and the like were such a threat (evidence contradicts this) then it would more likely be because of the tech parts that are thrown out than anything especially those from machines. Metals take billions of years to break down and actually account for a larger amount in the landfills than plastics ... LOL But all that aside, seriously, I would only switch if they made self cleaning cloth diapers. Can't afford the extra laundry and no way to carry such things around with me, also they don't hold moisture nearly as well and it's bad enough with the disposables.

From an essay I read in about 1984:

The economics, how good they were and the tactile esthetics of the super absorbant gels ("they feel like raw liver when wet"). Leads were not much of an issue because it was still more often than not that some kind of waterproof pants were worn over them

Also, much of the controversy was in the US and most of that around baby diapers. Adult disposables were modelled after baby diapers and sanitary napkins

Interesting, I thank you for that.

I must point out that, while I presented a case for banning disposables. I am not more than 65% convinced of its accuracy. I was presenting a line of events, and argument that could be used, and playing "devil's advocate", which, if found to be true, would be sufficient cause to do so. The evidence I present is my observations. I tend to be libertarian on matters. In terms of the economics and wastefulness, however, I am convinced. As an ABLG, I followed these things since the late 1960's, at which time (1968) most over-30 parents and the parents of the new mothers, who lived during the Great Depression, were appalled at the notion of these being the first choice of diaper.

Here's the thing, for the environmental impact the new plastics are made far more biodegradable, as we have learned that we don't need to use oil to make them. So even if landfills and the like were such a threat (evidence contradicts this) then it would more likely be because of the tech parts that are thrown out than anything especially those from machines. Metals take billions of years to break down and actually account for a larger amount in the landfills than plastics ... LOL But all that aside, seriously, I would only switch if they made self cleaning cloth diapers. Can't afford the extra laundry and no way to carry such things around with me, also they don't hold moisture nearly as well and it's bad enough with the disposables.

It was stated in REASON Magazine in an article about landfills and NIMBY, in the late '80's that the bio-degradable diapers would present a much worse problem than the no-BD's since they would release their contents into the landfill and these poisons and bacteria would leach into the water tables and create a health hazard

I have been wearing cloth diapers at night for most of my life.

I have tried many disposables. I prefer cloth.

I have listened to all of the tree huggers bitch about disposable diapers.

Some people do not have the facilities to deal with cloth diapers.

Some people prefer disposable diapers.

America is the land of choice. If you like disposable diapers, use them!

I am sure that somewhere there is an environmental wack that would love to make you wear cloth diapers. Just remember that fact when you vote. Keep in mind that for the cause of the common good, there are those that want to control your life. These are the same wacks that want to control your healthcare.

I do not understand.

The key element of control is force

There are in the US 1300 insurance companies dealing in healthcare. All other things being equal, they would have to compete for your money and offer you something to make it worthwhile

The governent offers you nothing for your co-operation except the threat of the jackboot, truncheon and prison, or some lesser form of evil, if you do not knuckle under

The only entity that can corrupt the system is the entity that can offer favors such as excluding others from entering a given market. Now the only entity that can do that is an entity with control. which is based on force, which means the jackboot, the truncheon and prison.

Now, what entity is the one that can do that? Left to their own devices the insurance companies singly or en banque cannot do that. There is however one entity that can and is trying mightily to do so.

Which reminds me. Roger Clemens is being tried for lying to Congress so I am told. What is wrong with that? Is not turnabout fair play? I would love to see who has higher poll number Clemens or Congress. I would wager that the number of Yankee fans exceeds the number of those who think that Congress is not as warped as a mobius strip

In this day and age, there is nothing wrong with cynicism. Just make sure it is pointed in the right direction.

I'm sorry, but you are just killing me with your statistics that you seemingly pull from your head without anything to support your claims. A "Billion" years for metals to break down, really??? Not trying to cause an argument here but come on.

From a few article's I've read, Biodegradable plastic is kind of a marketing tool that is a joke to me when you look at the stats like the one I pulled from This Site below:

Plastic that is biodegradable may in fact represent a step

backwards. Plastics ``totally'' degrade when their tensile

strength is reduced by 50 percent. At that point -- after as

long as twenty years -- a biodegradable plastic will have

degenerated into many little plastic pieces, but the total volume

of plastic will not have changed at all. The degeneration agent

used in biodegradable plastic, usually mostly cornstarch, makes

up no more than 6 percent of a biodegradable plastic item's total

volume; the 94 percent that's left represents more plastic than

would be contained in the same item made with nonbiodegradable

plastic, because items made with biodegradable plastic have to be

thicker to compensate for the weakening effect of the

degenerating agent.

Another Website Here talks about a more recent study on trash and it's contents. Now granted the site is a plastics companies site but the results from the study I think are pretty interesting. I've found the same info on a few other websites.

This Site as well as many others all said plastic was more often found in landfills than metals just so you know.

Although findings differ slightly, in 2006 approximately 26 percent of materials entering landfills were paper products, 18 percent food scraps, 16 percent plastic, 9 percent rubber, leather, and other textiles, 7 percent each of yard waste, metals, and wood, and 6 percent glass. This does not, however, reflect actual landfill content at any point in time since some materials decompose faster, or compact better, than others.

Anyway, my take on the whole cloth vs. disposable is kind of the same. I think they're really about even all things considered and are obviously much more of a hassle for me anyway, than disposable. I do however have numerous cloth diapers from the OP actually, that she has made for me and use them not as often as I want to because of the convenience factor. The smell too was killing me and I was forcing myself to do more laundry just to wash the diapers. I could probably come up with a better plan but we'll see. Maybe later as this incontinence doesn't seem to go away.

For me if I use 3-4 quality diapers a day (25 a week) at a cost of roughly a dollar or a little more a week that's $30/week and $1500/year. To start, for cloth I'd need at least 15 cloth diapers at about $35 each and plastic pants at $15each so $50/set x 15 = $750 start-up. I'll estimate that after that I'll need to replace a third of my diapers and plastic pants per year so that's $250/year in upkeep. It's easily 3 extra loads of laundry per week and I'll estimate that at $5 week or $250/year considering water, detergent, dryer sheets, electricity, gas and wear and tear on the machines. Powders, lotions, wipes and all are the same for both. Basically, year one would cost the same as wearing disposable and every year after that I'd save at very, very best $1000. Yeah, it's a lot but it's only $20 per week not to have to tote around my dirty diapers and hassle with washing, smelling and handling cloth. I'll use the cloth on occasion but I'm not in the right frame set right now to use them 24/7.

Where are you getting $30 each for diapers and Comco pants can last up to 3 years if you get a suffecient number of them. What kind of trash are you buying or how are you abusing the things that you need to replace 33% in a year. And yes, I think in comparison to the equivalent baby itmes, adult items are overpriced. There is another way as far as diapers go. DIY. The material should cast much less per yard than the ready-made items. Before prefolds, diapers were pieces of cloth that did other duty as well as being diapers. Prefolds spoiled a generation but even they did other duty even after their service as diapers. In the case of bedwetters, in addition to diapers and full matress protection, over the bottom sheet a waterprooff "draw sheet about 66x.36 was put across the matress at the right place and tucked in then a piece of absorbent material put over that and tucked in in case of leaks. A 72x36 retired DIY diaper can do just that. This was all the kind of things that littl girls up to the late 1960's learned to do or when they were going to have a baby, their mothers advised them on.

Given all of this, it is in the upkeep that cloth does better, or should be since you clean them en masse the per unit cleaning price goes down. Also just because yo toss a disposable does not mean you are no longer paying for it. The only difference is, is you are paying for it to do nothing and for off-site storage whil it does nothing. Also proper disposal costs.

The days of this kind of high-roller prosperity are over. In fact, they never existed, we just spent the accumulated wealth of previous generations and went into debt to support things like the throw-away society. It is not just diapers. See what you use in paper towels, which are no longer paper. I had a friend who, when he realized he was $30,000 in the tank switched to using sponges when he could. My last roll of paper towels has lested me over 3 years. One of the staples of a city was the rag man. amd the frontline antibacterial treatment was hot water and Clorox, Lysol or creosote and dishes were washed in hot water and a simple dish detergent. The difference between "use over" and "recyle" is a $23 milion Federal grant. I use grocery bags as garbage bags, it would be nice if they made them about twice as big. People used to save paper bags in a kind of bin under the refrigerator; we had scads of them when I was little and glass jars by the dozen which were used to store things, Ditto the old metal coffee cans. I have a friend who still "collects'" coffee cans to put small parts in for his workshop. Most of this would come under Home Economics or Techniques of Daily Living. But "ending is better than mending" despite the fact that a small repair like a button or a 2 inch unsewn seem could save you from needing a new item

You only think that plastic pants or some such is not a must. Wait til your first tape failure at work or in some public place unless you are of the type that cannot be embarrassed. And you WILL have a tape failure and it will be the worst possible kind at the worst ossible time. There is a perversity about Nature that makes it say "Hmmm... an arrogant fool. I love to put those kinds of persons in their place"