LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Veterans Administration (Va) Spinal Cord Injury Clinic

I'm still pretty new to this website, and one of the things I noticed was that there are others in the forum that are incon due to a spinal cord injury and receive treatment from the Veterans Administration (VA). My back injury is NOT service related, but the VA does provide me with all my medical needs including meds and diapers. The medical care I receive is from our local VA hospital Spinal Cord Injury Clinic. My medical care was only recently assigned to the Spinal Cord Injury Clinic. So far, I think I'm receiving higest quality of health care I've ever received, but I just started receiving my primary care from the Spinal Cord Injury Clinic about a month ago. The team of health care professionals within this clinic are VERY responsive to my medical needs compared to waiting for weeks, or months. I've been traeted by the VA for about a year, and it has taken about that same period of time to get all the tests and imaging completed before I was accepted into the Spinal Cord Injury Clinic.

Is there anyone else receiving medical treatment from the VA Spinal Cord Injury Clinic? If so, I would be interested in finding out if your health care experience is the same?

The only complaint I contine to have with the VA is the poor quality of diapers they send. So far, the best diaper they have to offer is Depends :crybaby: I know I can do worse (Wings),.....and Depends are better than nothing,...... and I do get them for free, but...... Do you have the same problem? I've been working on getting the local VA hospital to buy me the Abena XPlus. I have the support and recommendation of the VA urologist recommending that I use the XPlus (I really do have a medical need for a higher diapers). So far, the VA has not approved my request but I'm still working on it so maybe there is hope.

I am being treated by the VA for spinal injury but we don't have a specialty clinic. In fact I have never heard of anything like that. I do wonder how you are getting anything from the VA for free if your not service connected though. In fact it is hard just to get service for service connected issues in my area. I can however get any prescription that isn't service connected for $7, so I guess that's a plus. thumbsup.gif

The way the VA decides what to cover and what not to seems entirely arbitrary. They treated my Dad for non-service related liver problems... and then when he developed a brain tumor that WAS service related, they refused him care. Doesn't make any sense. Still, I'm glad they're treating you, and I wish you all the best :D. Good luck on getting better diapers :thumbsup:.

I am being treated by the VA for spinal injury but we don't have a specialty clinic. In fact I have never heard of anything like that. I do wonder how you are getting anything from the VA for free if your not service connected though. In fact it is hard just to get service for service connected issues in my area. I can however get any prescription that isn't service connected for $7, so I guess that's a plus. thumbsup.gif

Eligability means everything. In the beginning I didn't think I qualified for any VA medical coverage. When I contacted the VA Eligability office, I found out I was wrong. I'm not an expert on the subject, but from what I understand a lot has to do with with the dates of service. I am considered a "war time" vet and that along with a Honorable discharge opens the door to to some coverage that I would not qualify for if I was not a "war time" vet. I have zero deductable to all my medical coverage ONLY because of my income (disability). Again, this has to do with eligability. Because I have no employment income, I have no co-pays on any thing.

I live in a city that has a VA hospital, and each VA hospital has a Spinal Cord Injury unit. It took several months before I was approved for this program, but the the ONLY thing you need to have to be accepted into this program is a bonfide Spinal Cord Injury. That injury does NOT need to be service connected to be accepted into the program. However, acceptance into this prigram is a LOT easier if the spianl cord injury is servive connected.

If you are a vet with an Honorable discharge and a spinal cord injury and NOT receiving your care form your local Spinal Cord Injury unit, I would recommed you check into having your care provided by these ppl. It really does make a difference. You must have a bonfide spinal cord injury to be accepted into this program. The level of care that I've experienced has been very good. However, anyone with a spinal cord injury is going to ahve servere back pain from time-to-time, and I'm sure that has a LOT to do with the level of care that is provided in this program. When I have severe pain I don't want to hear that I will not be able to see the doc for 6 weeks. I hope I was able to answer a few questions regarding VA mediacl eligability. Date of service, and afforadability along with an Honorable dischange means everything when it comes to eligability.

• 3 weeks later...

I was admitted as an inpatient to the Tampa James a Haley VA Medical center in 1997 to see if they could help with my sacral nerve root injury. While this admission was at the time considered multidisciplinary as it involved multiple clinics and physical therapy, one of the clinics seen was the spinal cord injury clinic. They hooked me up with Doctors who were really good and very up to date as to the newest procedures. They wanted after many tests to test out an Interstim device which would act as a sort of pacemaker to the bladder nerve and give me some control. they ended up not doing the procedure as they determined it would likely not be effective. I have continued to have contact throughout the years since then with all of the doctors and staff from that time but we all have basically given up on finding a miracle. all in all i was glad to have done the rotation as I did learn some things to make my life easier the program and tests that I went through would have cost more than 50,000 dollars and the VA never even hesitated in paying everything. In my experience Since I started using the VA system, it Has improved every year to become a very good social medicine system. It used to take three or more hours for an appointment in the waiting room, compared to 15 minutes now, And it was a 30-60 minute drive to get to the VA, now they have clinics in virtually every Big city and you only have to drive 20 minutes now. I am 60% disabled for nerve pain and incontinence related to a service connected injury. I was actually diapered while in the Army.(which really sucked at the time) And have been in diapers since my injury in 1996.

Guest Katharsys

I do wonder how you are getting anything from the VA for free if your not service connected though.

It is actually quite simple, yet complicated at the same time.

The VA has a safety net program out there for vets. If your income is below a certain threshold, and they have the space available, you can get your care from the VA. This was implemented to provide a level of care to vets who have become homeless, etc. Essentially, if I remember this correctly, you are at 150% of the Federal Poverty levels, you will qualify.

Now, for the Service Connected Disabilities: Your level of disability has to cross a threshold/percentage in order to qualify for care. Again, this is from memory, but I believe the levels have to be at 10% in order to receive care. Now, you can always get your level of disability reevaluated and if it goes up, you may become eligible for care for that issue. If it goes down, you may lose eligibility you had. If your combined disability crosses the magic 30% threshold, you will quality for disability payments.

If you are having issues even getting an appointment for your service connected disability, you can be assured that no safety net people are getting your slots. In the VA, service connected always come first and has priority.

There is a third category of individual as well. If you are over the safety net threshold, and no service connected availability, you can also be seen by the VA - but you fall into the lowest priory category. However, if your VA is large enough to take you on, I would say go there. You can register your insurance card with them and the VA uses the funds it gets from the insurance to help fund the treatment of individuals in the safety net category. This also applies to people who go to the VA for their service connected disabilities but while there get seen for their cold - essentially using the VA as a primary care doctor as well.

I was under the safety net program, thank heavens, during my college years and a little beyond. Thanks to the VA and the care I received through them, I was seen not only for my emergency appendectomy, but the additional issues that came up after the surgery. Now if only I could get the National Records Center to "unlose" my medical records, I might actually be able to apply for disability my service connected issues, but that is a different gripe.

Actually, service connected at 10% will qualify for disability payments. I'm under 30% right now. I will be requesting a re-eval once I go through all of the other tests for my increasing CES symptoms.

I also make decent money, and the VA does use my insurance to reclaim assets to help keep the VA running.

Getting an appointment with the Spine Clinic in my area took two months. It takes over a month for a PCP appointment, even for my service connected issues. I have a PT appointment that is over a month away, and that was with a Spine doctor requesting an urgent appointment. I will be amazed if I even get to the Spinal Injury Clinic before the end of this year. I have been trudging through the system for over a year and a half now just for current worsening spine issues. I had to go to a private hospital for multiple herniated discs that are part of my service connected status. I know of some people that are not service connected that have gotten treatment much faster that I have gotten. Where am I in the stack? Who knows, but it's obviously not a priority to the VA to get me through it. I do understand that they have too many patients and not enough doctors and staff, but the only way they will give me any priority is if I was puking up blood and dying in their ER waiting room.

Sorry if I seem bitter about the VA. Over all it sucks big time. The doctors an PA's that I have worked with have been very good. It just take way too long to get to them.

Actually, service connected at 10% will qualify for disability payments. I'm under 30% right now. I will be requesting a re-eval once I go through all of the other tests for my increasing CES symptoms.

I also make decent money, and the VA does use my insurance to reclaim assets to help keep the VA running.

Getting an appointment with the Spine Clinic in my area took two months. It takes over a month for a PCP appointment, even for my service connected issues. I have a PT appointment that is over a month away, and that was with a Spine doctor requesting an urgent appointment. I will be amazed if I even get to the Spinal Injury Clinic before the end of this year. I have been trudging through the system for over a year and a half now just for current worsening spine issues. I had to go to a private hospital for multiple herniated discs that are part of my service connected status. I know of some people that are not service connected that have gotten treatment much faster that I have gotten. Where am I in the stack? Who knows, but it's obviously not a priority to the VA to get me through it. I do understand that they have too many patients and not enough doctors and staff, but the only way they will give me any priority is if I was puking up blood and dying in their ER waiting room.

Sorry if I seem bitter about the VA. Over all it sucks big time. The doctors an PA's that I have worked with have been very good. It just take way too long to get to them.

Doug,

I agree with some of what you've said, be accepted for health care in the spinal cord clinic does take time. However, once your accepted for care in the spinal cord clinic things (whatever you need) happens very fast. What use to take weeks, or months no haapen in a matter of days. From A-Z, it took me about 9 months before I was accepted into the spinal cord clinic for health care. During that time, I experienced the same waiting time for appt's as you are now. The VA does not work fast, but things will change once your accepted into the spinal cord clinic so just give it some time and remain patient.

I'm receiving health care in one of the largest VA facitlities in the country. You would think this is good due to the size but then you also need to consider the number of patients they see everyday too (including Xray, doc visits, lab work, etc), I'm sure this VA facitlity must see thousands of ppl everyday. I'm sure all VA hospitals are a little short staffed right now but everything seems to change once you've been accepted into the spinal cord clinic. From A-Z, it took me about 9 months before I was accepted into the spinal cord clinic for health care.

VA heath care is based upon "eligability". Simply stated, once your accepted into the VA system for health care (regardless of your clissification category) you will receive whatever health care you need. The difference in the categories is the co-pay. My spinal cord injury was NOT service connect, and I am NOT retired military and I'm receiving the same level of health care as those who are retired military, or have service connected injuries. The difference here is that I don't receive any type of VA disability income. Almost any vet with a honorable discharge can qualify for VA health care. This is one of those benefits that comes with military service and honorable discharge.....hence eligability.

I am a Vietnam vet(blue water) with 10%(hearing) and on a VA pension due to major health problems.

What I have is sarcoidosis, neurosarcoidosis. with a heart problems (heart attack and 5 way bypass)fibromyalgia and now diabetes.

I have been going to the VA since 1994 when i was out of work and had gallstones.

I like my doctors at the VA i go to as they are almost all doctors from UCLA and some of the best docs around.

With the neurosarcoidosis i have been having urinary urgency so for the last couple years i have worn depends underwear to my appointments where they may see them. But never tried to get them to supply me.yet.

For other types of appointments like eye test or pulmonary like the ones i am going to this week i will wear a diaper with stuffer. i only drive part way (60 miles) and take the metro link trains and buses about (65 miles)the rest of the way and its sometimes hard to find a restroom.

But i do know that some vets are able to get attends or other more absorbent diapers then depends because when i am around the hospitals i have seen them.

Thank you for you service anned.

Hopefully the VA can get a few more doctors so they can better handle the patient load in the Northwest. My VA PCP is pretty good. He tries to be very helpful. He's even more helpful when I don't forget to ask him questions that are on my mind. Today he asked me a few questions I didn't even think of.

I am a Vietnam vet(blue water) with 10%(hearing) and on a VA pension due to major health problems.

What I have is sarcoidosis, neurosarcoidosis. with a heart problems (heart attack and 5 way bypass)fibromyalgia and now diabetes.

I have been going to the VA since 1994 when i was out of work and had gallstones.

I like my doctors at the VA i go to as they are almost all doctors from UCLA and some of the best docs around.

With the neurosarcoidosis i have been having urinary urgency so for the last couple years i have worn depends underwear to my appointments where they may see them. But never tried to get them to supply me.yet.

For other types of appointments like eye test or pulmonary like the ones i am going to this week i will wear a diaper with stuffer. i only drive part way (60 miles) and take the metro link trains and buses about (65 miles)the rest of the way and its sometimes hard to find a restroom.

But i do know that some vets are able to get attends or other more absorbent diapers then depends because when i am around the hospitals i have seen them.

Anned,

The VA will provid you with pull-up's, or diapers for free if you have a proven medical need (incontinence). My experience has been that the VA in my area used Wings, Attends, and Depends products. If you have a medical need for for a higher quality product you can get it,..... but it will be a fight. It has taken me months to get the VA to approve the purchase of Abena XPlus and I had the support of my VA primary care doc, and Urologist and it still was not easy. Pharmacy is the one that either approves, or disapproves these type of requests. You would "think" when the doc's involved supprt the request for a certain brand of diaper because there is a medical need the ppl in the Pharmacy would approve such as request. LOL LOL These ppl live in a world of their own and don't seem to care what anyone else has to say as long as they are able to provided diapers regardless of quality. I was told yesterday that my monthly supply of Abena XPlus will arrive this Friday. So,.....it can be done, but it is a fight.

If your happy with the Depends products that's easy.......as long as you have a proven medical need. Just ask your doc to give you a prescription and the rest is easy. :thumbsup:

I get molicare super plus through the VA pharmacy. The type of incont. I have is urge with a full bladder without knowing that my bladder is full. Yes I could time void but the problem with that is that I travel a lot and the depends I was getting had caused several embarrassing situations. Like on plane or long drive times. Also when I perform my job it is at different locations. Therefore knowing were a bathroom is and being wrapped up in my repair which is usually time critical was a problem. Also during the night I would wakeup to a flooded bed. This is a problem at hotels. I used to tell the hotel that I needed bed protection. Most of the time they would not provide it or treat me as if I was a freak. So I told this to my urology nurse and she consulted with the pharmacy and they started providing me with molicare super plus diapers. My script says adult diapers use one as needed. I go through 5 to 7 diapers a day.

So if you get with your urologist and explain your situation in my experience they want to help. I hope this helps you with your situation. It is embarrassing having to wear I diaper that is bulky but it is better than the alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

I get molicare super plus through the VA pharmacy. The type of incont. I have is urge with a full bladder without knowing that my bladder is full. Yes I could time void but the problem with that is that I travel a lot and the depends I was getting had caused several embarrassing situations. Like on plane or long drive times. Also when I perform my job it is at different locations. Therefore knowing were a bathroom is and being wrapped up in my repair which is usually time critical was a problem. Also during the night I would wakeup to a flooded bed. This is a problem at hotels. I used to tell the hotel that I needed bed protection. Most of the time they would not provide it or treat me as if I was a freak. So I told this to my urology nurse and she consulted with the pharmacy and they started providing me with molicare super plus diapers. My script says adult diapers use one as needed. I go through 5 to 7 diapers a day.

So if you get with your urologist and explain your situation in my experience they want to help. I hope this helps you with your situation. It is embarrassing having to wear I diaper that is bulky but it is better than the alternative.

I found out about a week ago, that Molicare Super Plus, or any of the Molicare products are available to any vet with a prescription upon request. The Molicare products don't show up as a "available" product such as Depends, Wings, Attends, and a few others, but if you ask someone that knows what thir doing, you will find out the Molicare products are also available.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally have had a pretty good experience with the Loma Linda Urology Dept of the VA. They can not seem to locate the cause of the problem, so that means I have gone through many, many diffeent tests. The latest diagnosis is neurogenic bladder. They know that since my accident I have been completely bladder incontinent, and partial bowel only with sciatica flare ups (the most pain I have EVER experienced...ever!)

As far as getting my supplies from the VA, I will pass. They will provide me some low quality diapers that are way more trouble then they are worth, so I just get my own. Now, if I could get the Attends with waistband (3 tape ones) for day use and Secure X-Plus for night/extended wear I would be extremely happy!

I personally have had a pretty good experience with the Loma Linda Urology Dept of the VA. They can not seem to locate the cause of the problem, so that means I have gone through many, many diffeent tests. The latest diagnosis is neurogenic bladder. They know that since my accident I have been completely bladder incontinent, and partial bowel only with sciatica flare ups (the most pain I have EVER experienced...ever!)

As far as getting my supplies from the VA, I will pass. They will provide me some low quality diapers that are way more trouble then they are worth, so I just get my own. Now, if I could get the Attends with waistband (3 tape ones) for day use and Secure X-Plus for night/extended wear I would be extremely happy!

If anyone is interested in switching to a high quality custom made reusable Cloth diape's,r and good onesie's,(t-shirts that snap in the crotch to keep your diaper riding where it should be when you start to fill it) and such angelfluff diapers are VA approved and the VA covers almost all of their products with a script from your doctor and approval from the VA, there is information on angelfluffs website about how to go about doing this. They are in fact the only company that is Goverment Approved and i have worn there diapers for ^ years now and can happily say they are great diapers i get them with elastic legs and waist contoured during the day and have a much much more absorbent diaper at night, i would say my day diaper for a "normal" person would be "double Overnight" and my night diaper would be a " Quad overnight" but they are very comfortable and there Blue?green Ice Plastic Pants are the best quality i have found. anyway I'm not advertising the company i just found their products to be wonderfull and like i say they are VA approved.

Peace

I have bin going to the VA for allmost 6 yrs now and know of spinal clinics but none in my area and if any of you land in augusta VA spinal cords wheelchair area you might run into my bio dad

but as far as my service by them i managed to get them to order molicare supper pluss as " the porducts thay carry did not fit my needs or lifestlye"

as i am only 28 be 29 in november im a younger vet in the lot my arms sholder and neck and head are most afected my knee problem is slowing me down i talked with some one for 2 hrs and all the resons the brands thay sent me sux and dont fit right and convinced them to get the better item with me moving im told i have a good chance of not geting them

each va reagon handles things diffrrently i got that from quite a few diffrent pople in the va

if you move around alot cloth desposables can bunch and strech and tear and leak easly so there horrable for a active walker and some docters know it well and depending on if its weaking or flooding can be a point in your favor the biggist that can be made is that if u buy 2 cases of this vs 3 of what your sending it would be cheaper and more efective

im sorry i dont rember more on how i got them to give better but im currlenty out of the north flordia south gorgia district witch has alot of money

i have allso bin to 4 diffrent major hosptals and can safely say how you are treated depends on era served and a few no so importan things

nam era vets fight for every scrap for the most part

and the young ones like me have gotten poor treatment cuss the docs arnt use to younger pacents witch varry area to area cuss some area have alot of younger vets and some have allmost none area where there are a small number is where there i found treated the worst

every one will have there diffrences i was given SSD but waited 2 yrs for service connected to come in

i finly have a 40% and hopeing the last pention meeting i had will get me past 50%

and sadly your % will allso determen how far out of the way thay go

service connected or not

If your receiving diapers from the VA that leak and are poor quality, let the pharmacist know that the product your using is not working for you as they leak. It appears that there are a LOT of ppl that never say anything to the VA about the poor quality of some diapers and think they have no options other than buying your own. Buying your own diapers is always an option and obviously you can do that anytime you want. However, for others like myself, money is very tight and if I buy my own diapers than I have to give something up in the monthly budget to allow for the expense of diapers. :blush:

Working with the VA pharmacy is not always the easiest thing to do,....been there and done that myself. However, the VA does offer a selection of different brands of diapers. Molicare Super Plus IS available no matter what region of the country your in, and is probably the highest quality diaper the VA has to offer without making a special order. If the pharmacist that your speaking with tell you Molicare is not availbale for whatever reason thay may tell you, this is NOT true! What is true is that Molicare Super Plus diapers are no shown on their computer screen of available diapers they have to offer. As such, everone should know that if a product doesn't show up on ther computer screen that means that whatever product your asking about is not available......right? WRONG! :excl:

Here how to solve the problem.....First; You MUST have a prescription from your doc to receive diapers from the VA.......Second; Let the pharmacist know that the diapers your using don't work because they leak.......Thrird; Ask the pharmacist what other brands are available.....Forth, If the pharmacist that your speaking with does NOT mention Molicare as being one of those brands available, ask about this diaper specifically. Don't be surprised if they tell you this diaper does not show up as being available. Be very nice about it, but then tell the pharmacist that your speaking with that you would like to talk to the "Outpatient Pharmacy Program Manager". The pharmacist that your speaking with will probably do everything they can in a nice way to keep you from talking with the Outpatient Pharmacy Program Manager. In a very nice way,.....be persistent that you want to speak with Outpatient Pharmaacy Program Manager. Once you able to speak with the Outpatient Pharmacy Program Manager, explain your situation. Make it very clear that the product your using leaks and aks for suggestions.........let the Outpatient Pharmacy Program Manager tell you what products are available. If you don't hear the name of Molicare as being one of those brands available, then ask about. I'm 100% certain if you speak with the Outpatient Pharmacy Program Manager you will be offered the Molicare Super Plus diaper in lieu of the brand your using now. :Crylol:

The VA can, and sometimes does make special purchases on a case-by-case basis. My diaper of choice is the Abena XPlus. This diaper is NOT offered by the VA, but it can be purchased by the VA as a special order. To get a special order approved by the VA for diapers,.... requires almost an act of congress. I'm not goig to say it can't be done, because some vets do receive Abean XPlus, or other products based upon need, but getting any product that is not already pre-approved by the VA is not easily done and may take several months and be an up hill battle. :angry:

Molicare Super Plus diapers are available to anyone with a prescription from a VA doc anywhere in the country. Just follow steps 1-4 as mentioned in the above. Let me know if you have any problems......been there and done that before. :pizza:

I would request Tranquility or Prevail

Good Luck with the VA

well thats the difference between a DiaperLover and a Real Incontinent person You are "all show and no go" so to speak, you do not require a diaper for Bowel or bladder issues 24/7 you dont need to maintain your dignity and privacy gf a Medical Illness

to you a cheap Tranquility or Prevail would be awesome for me it would mean instead of about 6 diapers a day i would need to change say every 30 minutes if not sooner and anything that caused a delay in that would mean a new pair of pants aswell so what do i do but 60 pairs of pants so i can have 30 at work and 30 at home and 15 at the cleaners well wearing the other available ones in rotation.

Diaper Lovers I dont mind you guys around and sometimes you actually add things to posts but other times you seem like diaper Losers (for example NOW) Tranquility and Prevail are in the total opposite direction from where we wanted to go (Better Protection)

well thats the difference between a DiaperLover and a Real Incontinent person You are "all show and no go" so to speak, you do not require a diaper for Bowel or bladder issues 24/7 you dont need to maintain your dignity and privacy gf a Medical Illness

to you a cheap Tranquility or Prevail would be awesome for me it would mean instead of about 6 diapers a day i would need to change say every 30 minutes if not sooner and anything that caused a delay in that would mean a new pair of pants aswell so what do i do but 60 pairs of pants so i can have 30 at work and 30 at home and 15 at the cleaners well wearing the other available ones in rotation.

Diaper Lovers I dont mind you guys around and sometimes you actually add things to posts but other times you seem like diaper Losers (for example NOW) Tranquility and Prevail are in the total opposite direction from where we wanted to go (Better Protection)

Are your trying to say that you like quality diapers? :pizza: For all we know this person maybe a buyer for the VA. Now you know why the VA has low quality diapers. :Crylol:

Are your trying to say that you like quality diapers? :pizza: For all we know this person maybe a buyer for the VA. Now you know why the VA has low quality diapers. :Crylol:

i'm not saying anything about Quality of the brand's products i'm speaking only on its ability to keep mr dry When i tried those products, i will only put down a product that i have tried and only talk of its ability to keep me dry because quality is a very gray area everyones opinion on quality is different based on numerous socio economic factors

i'm not saying anything about Quality of the brand's products i'm speaking only on its ability to keep mr dry When i tried those products, i will only put down a product that i have tried and only talk of its ability to keep me dry because quality is a very gray area everyones opinion on quality is different based on numerous socio economic factors