LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do It Yourself Baby Cereal

Filiola

I LOOOOOVE baby cereal. especially rice cereal. But it seems a little pricey.

I went on the Internet to find out how to make my own rice cereal and found some directions (basically put the uncooked rice in a blender or even a coffee grinder and grind it to a powder).

Not having a blender, I'm not sure I want to run out and buy one, so I wonder: have any babies, daddies or mommies out there tried this?

If you have, was it as easy as it sounds?

Do you have a particularly powerful blender? Any special features on it (pulse, reversing blades, etc.)?

Thanks for any help you can give.

And don't worry, I AM big enough to use a blender--sometimes. Thanks for your concern. :)

• Like 1

Either Cream of Rice or Crame of Wheat will do very well, Older "children" (4 and up) can eat these as well as Quaker or other oatmeal (and if they're REALLY older kids; over 68, this helps even more but we will not get into that). They all come in instant or quick-cook.. Do not bother with the pre-packaged instants, there is not enough there to, as a friend of mine put it, "fill a baby". :Giggle:

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the OP for posting this subject. :thumbsup:

I used to love to eat baby oatmeal cereal, but at MY age,

I was concerned about all the other STUFF they put in the commercial cereal. Especially Iron, so I quit eating it... :crybaby:

Well, short story shorter, Dug my blender out of the back of the cabinet,

(It's programmable and actually has a baby food setting, D'oh!)

Tossed in a cup of generic store brand oats, hit the button and VIOLA! Baby oatmeal cereal! :groupwave:

Tastes just like the store bought stuff too... :Crylol:

Can't believe I've deprived myself all these years when everything I needed was literally right under my nose. :badmood:

As an aside, I hate regular oatmeal. :screwy:

• Like 1

Just to wrap this up...

I bought the Cream of Rice and found it tasteless, so went to the Goodwill and found a coffee grinder for $5. Put in some brown rice, ground it for 30 seconds, dumped the powder into boiling water, stirred for 10 minutes, got something so good I don't want to eat the baby cereal anymore, either! It has all the taste of brown rice, which the baby cereal (not even Earth's Best Brown Rice Cereal) does not. So, although it is boring to stir for 10 minutes (and you have to stir constantly or it gets lumpy), this is my new cereal of choice.

Now you know more than you probably ever wanted to know about this. Don't worry, you can forget it if you try.

I may try it with oatmeal too. Love the creaminess-thanks for the idea.

Just to wrap this up...

I bought the Cream of Rice and found it tasteless, so went to the Goodwill and found a coffee grinder for $5. Put in some brown rice, ground it for 30 seconds, dumped the powder into boiling water, stirred for 10 minutes, got something so good I don't want to eat the baby cereal anymore, either! It has all the taste of brown rice, which the baby cereal (not even Earth's Best Brown Rice Cereal) does not. So, although it is boring to stir for 10 minutes (and you have to stir constantly or it gets lumpy), this is my new cereal of choice.

Now you know more than you probably ever wanted to know about this. Don't worry, you can forget it if you try.

I may try it with oatmeal too. Love the creaminess-thanks for the idea.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. ^_^

~ moogle

• 3 weeks later...

I like Cream of Wheat and one of my very favorites is Coco Wheats but is is so hard to find. I used to be able to buy it in Walmart but now I can't find it anywhere.

Right here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=coco+wheats&sprefix=coco+wheat

and here's Maypo:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=maypo+cereal&sprefix=maypo

Which it turns out is oatmeal with maple flavoring.

I do both the oatmeal and brown rice in the coffee grinder too. Stirring for ten minutes isn't so onerous if I read while I'm stirring. I love to read. I have added honey to the oatmeal once it's ready.