LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

America'S Best - Kid'S Glasses!

Codymoogle

Okay, so I'm excited!

This is the (true) story...

I went to get new glasses last week. I had my eye exam, and my prescription changed. I also needed new frames, as the ones I have now are about 2 years old. No big deal, right? I go and look through the frames at my optometrist's office as usual, bring the pair up that I like, and bring out my checkbook. My insurance covers some of my glasses cost, and my last pair I paid about $55 for. Therefore, I expect to pay anywhere between $30 and $70 out of pocket. She hits me with a figure of $140 out of pocket! I said no, and went off to look someplace else. I can't afford that.

So today, my stepmother and I went to 3 different places. The first one didn't take my insurance. The second one wasn't taking my insurance due to some sort of system screw up. The third place took my insurance but the final cost equaled about the same cost as my optometrist quoted me.

By this point I was annoyed and sad, so we went back to the first place - America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses...Even though they didn't take my insurance, they advertised $69.95 for two pairs of glasses. I'd pay more than that out of pocket at the other places, even WITH insurance.

I browse and talk to the woman there, and pick out some frames. My stepmother talked to her also, while I was browsing. I then found out that they were gonna charge me $88 for JUST my scratch resistant lenses. The scratch resistant lenses are "extra" since i'm chronologically 22 years old, BUT when i was looking around trying on frames, I noticed a sign. It stated that kids (chronologically 13 and under) get FREE scratch resistant lenses with their frames.

Put off and exasperated by the policy and the hassle of the past week in general, I basically said (politely, explaining to her that if I sounded put off it wasn't her fault and apologizing for any harsh tone) that that's not fair to the woman handling my case. She tried to say "Well their frames are smaller", and I truthfully said "I can fit comfortably into a lot of kid frames, why wouldn't I get that deal?". She said "It's like a kid's menu at a restaurant, that's just how it is". I replied "Well no, my glasses and some of the kid glasses are about the same size. I don't understand." - I didn't get nasty, I was just utterly confused at why this "rule" had to be set into place.

After this conversation, she asked me to hold on a minute. She said she talked to her manager, and I was given the go ahead for the deal - as long as I purchased two kid's frames. I found two I really liked that fit well! They charged me $15 extra for a protection plan, but still...

Two full pairs of glasses for about $85-95, and kid's styles as well? I'm a happy camper! Thanks America's Best Glasses lady! biggrin.gif

~ moogle

• Like 1

*grins*

Sounds wonderful, Moogs.

I really hate their whole policy though. <_< Isn't that age discrimination of sorts? They should get arrested or shot.

I'm glad it all worked out though! :) Oh, and I certainly want to see what your glasses look like. ;)

-Sophie

• Like 1

Our story is the opposite our 13 year old daughter couldn't fit into children's frames as her face was too wide, so they could fit the lenses correctly on her face for her vision correction. So we had to fork out for Adult frames. But the insurance covered most of it anyway. The whole thing is a scam I tell ya! whistling.gif

*grins*

Sounds wonderful, Moogs.

I really hate their whole policy though. <_< Isn't that age discrimination of sorts? They should get arrested or shot.

I'm glad it all worked out though! :) Oh, and I certainly want to see what your glasses look like. ;)

-Sophie

I bet she looks like Harry Potter, they probably even threw in the hat for free after she emptied it for popcorn :)

When I went to get my glasses, it was something just over 300 with my insurance.... For a single pair of glasses...

But now I can see a .030" gap

-Sophie

Yeah I mentioned that it felt like age discrimination, she just sorta laughed it off. Go figure. Otherwise she was nice though. I'll post pics of my glasses when I get them (they have to be sent out to get the lenses put in and stuff). Be warned that the quality may suck though.

Our story is the opposite our 13 year old daughter couldn't fit into children's frames as her face was too wide, so they could fit the lenses correctly on her face for her vision correction. So we had to fork out for Adult frames. But the insurance covered most of it anyway. The whole thing is a scam I tell ya! whistling.gif

That's wrong in my eyes, they should of given her the kid's deal too, adult frames or not.

I bet she looks like Harry Potter, they probably even threw in the hat for free after she emptied it for popcorn :)

Hehehe, only you can come up with that, Jul wee ah. tongue.gif

When I went to get my glasses, it was something just over 300 with my insurance.... For a single pair of glasses...

But now I can see a .030" gap

$300 for glasses!? Holy crap. Glad they were worth it though!

~ moogle

I HIGHLY recommend "Eyebuydirect". If you're careful to get your measurements correct (I checked my old glasses and got frames that measured the same) you can get some great glasses for super cheap. I got two pair of good frames and prescription sunglasses for about $60usd + my exam at WalMart.

As an interesting aside, the optometrist at WalMart had no issue with measuring the iris distance and giving that to me as well, since they aren't actually selling the frames like most optometrists do. Many will go totally nuts, I've heard of one calling the police. :P

I never realized how expensive my eyewear is. At least $750, its usually just something i save toward every 2 years.

and Age discrimination is for those over 40, anything lower and you are not protected.

good that you got the price though.

i pay around $250 for glasses after insurance.. course i have Coach frames, scratch resistant transition lenses.... so $250 for coach frames with those lenses is not to bad in my book really.

i get a new pair of glasses each year, my insurance covers an eye docs appt every 2 years, but new glasses every year, and i figure glasses are like fashion accessory, can never have to many choices...

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing to do when buying glasses is go out to the stores look around and try on stuff. Then search around the internet for the frames and see if they're cheaper and either just get the frames or get the lenses too. eyebuydirect.com has a lot to chose from and will let you return your first order free. And they've got deals around so do some searching.

• 1 month later...

I finally got both pairs! It was a nightmare with the second pair...First, they got lost in transit and I had to get a new second pair...Then, when the new second pair arrived, a lens was missing. So they had to send them back again. But now that I have both pairs, here's a picture!

post-8891-035727600 1282160246_thumb.jpg

~ moogle

post-8891-035727600 1282160246_thumb.jpg