LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Does Anyone Know What Brand Diaper Nasa Uses?

'Keeping urine away from the skin is the key to preventing urinary tract infections,' - false and misleading. Urine is sterile, and does NOT cause UTIs.

Thanks for the picture, Keiff. I'd seen line drawings of a MAG before, but never a picture.

But as to your point about UTIs, you forget that once urine leaves the body and is allowed to pool it mixes with all manner of nasty bacteria in your nether-regions. This is why a garment that absorbs quickly can help prevent UTIs, especially in females, who have a far shorter urethra and are far more susceptible to infection.

-RMS

Thanks for the picture, Keiff. I'd seen line drawings of a MAG before, but never a picture.

Your welcome, and the name is bk or babykeiff please.

But as to your point about UTIs, ...

RMS,

I have tried to dispel that myth on the board many times before - ones own urine does NOT cause urinary tract infections. If it did, we would have long ago, mutated to expel urine in a different form. Also, a female urethra is approx half the length of the male equivalent, which is long enough to perform its tasks well, including not allowing bacteria to attack it.

All,

The only two sources of UTIs are

1 - bacteria expelled in the urine, source is stomach, and bacteria multiply in the kidney(s). Poorly prepared food,etc.

2 - bacteria introduced into the bladder via third party (catheter etc)

To a healthy producer, urine is sterile, does not contain any harmful substances to the producer, and WILL NOT cause UTIs, even if you sit in same for a week.

Your welcome, and the name is bk or babykeiff please.

RMS,

I have tried to dispel that myth on the board many times before - ones own urine does NOT cause urinary tract infections. If it did, we would have long ago, mutated to expel urine in a different form. Also, a female urethra is approx half the length of the male equivalent, which is long enough to perform its tasks well, including not allowing bacteria to attack it.

All,

The only two sources of UTIs are

1 - bacteria expelled in the urine, source is stomach, and bacteria multiply in the kidney(s). Poorly prepared food,etc.

2 - bacteria introduced into the bladder via third party (catheter etc)

To a healthy producer, urine is sterile, does not contain any harmful substances to the producer, and WILL NOT cause UTIs, even if you sit in same for a week.

I don't know how you can say that, Keif. You're right that urine is sterile, and under normal circumstances our body's design is enough to prefent UTIs. But when you're sitting in urine that has been mingling with bacteria on the outside of your body--on a part of the body that is teeming with germs--and then you essentially soak your urethra in it . . . that'll do it.

-RMS

But as to your point about UTIs, you forget that once urine leaves the body and is allowed to pool it mixes with all manner of nasty bacteria in your nether-regions. This is why a garment that absorbs quickly can help prevent UTIs, especially in females, who have a far shorter urethra and are far more susceptible to infection.

-RMS

Actually that isn't the MAG diaper that NASA now uses, it's the one they tested from before. Known as the DACT or Disposible Absorption Containment Trunk. The MAG is more modeled after a more off the shelf pull-up. These were custom made. But still a cool find. Note the device to the left...for those in flight #2 gotta go things. Guess they didn't want the girls to use the DACT. But not sure how that worked with the flight suit on.

Aviat Space Environ Med. 1991 Jun;62(6):577-9.

Evaluation of the disposable absorption containment trunk for female U-2 and TR-1 pilots.

Barlow JF, Richardson SE.

Physiological Support Division, 9th Strategic Hospital, Beale Air Force Base, CA.

Abstract

Female U-2 and TR-1 pilots needed a urine collection device as part of their high flight pressure suit ensembles. The Disposable Absorption Containment Trunk (DACT) had been designed for short term use with the NASA Space Shuttle Program. This study evaluated the DACT for the extended and repetitive use required for integration into the U-2 and TR-1 aircraft. Six female subjects were tested wearing a custom-fit DACT and the 1030 full pressure suit ensemble with torso harness. They were strapped into the U-2 ejection seat with parachute and seat kit for 10 h and 45 min every 3 d for a total of 5 sessions. The DACT was evaluated for absorptive capability and comfort. Subjects were monitored for dermatitis, vaginitis, and urinary tract infections. The DACT reliably absorbed menstrual flow and urinary outputs to 950 cc. Higher urinary outputs resulted in minimal leakage. Dermatitis in the form of mild erythema and chafing was present, but cleared between sessions without medical intervention. Complaints concerning comfort were minor and limited to fit problems. One case of vaginitis developed. There were no cases of urinary tract infection. The DACT was found to be an acceptable method of urine collection for female U-2 and TR-1 pilots. Minor changes in design will enhance the comfort and performance of the DACT.

I don't know how you can say that, Keif. You're right that urine is sterile, and under normal circumstances our body's design is enough to prefent UTIs. But when you're sitting in urine that has been mingling with bacteria on the outside of your body--on a part of the body that is teeming with germs--and then you essentially soak your urethra in it . . . that'll do it.

-RMS

RMS,

your point would be valid IF the urethra didn't collapse flat immediately after use. Urine has weight, and even with a person without any bladder muscle control, gravity will cause urine to fall out of the urethra. After this occurs, the urethra, without enough pressure to keep it open, WILL go flat again. As a result, one CAN'T soak ones urethra in stale urine unless one adds something - like a cath - to keep the urethra open. You could soak in a bath of your own urine up to the neck, and no urine would go into the urethra. Boyles Law. Your urethra would only be opened when YOU were voiding urine = urine LEAVING the body under pressure - enough pressure to open the urethra.

All tubes within the body don't have the intrinsic strength (like a straw has) to stay open. They use either cartilage, bone or muscle to keep them open when needed, and instantly close when finished. This is ONE of the bodies natural defenses against bacterial infection.

Yes, UTIs exist, as do bacteria ON the skin, but the design of the body prevents them entering the body... that is unless some idiot defeats one or more of the defence mechanisms. Wearing diapers, or sitting in urine does NOT defeat any of the bodies defense mechanisms. Consider the cost of the law cases against the diaper manufactures if one person even thought that diapers were harmful? In America, a McD customer sued McD for providing hot coffee!

PS, please refer to me as BK or babykeiff.

BK, again, I don't claim to be a trained medical professional, but even if the urethra were to collapse when not passing urine, that certainly doesn't mean that no fluid could pass into it. It doesn't clamp to create a waterproof seal, there's a sphincter for that.

I'm willing to let this go, but I remain unconvinced that bacteria-laden urine poses no risk of infection.

-RMS

RMS,

your point would be valid IF the urethra didn't collapse flat immediately after use. Urine has weight, and even with a person without any bladder muscle control, gravity will cause urine to fall out of the urethra. After this occurs, the urethra, without enough pressure to keep it open, WILL go flat again. As a result, one CAN'T soak ones urethra in stale urine unless one adds something - like a cath - to keep the urethra open. You could soak in a bath of your own urine up to the neck, and no urine would go into the urethra. Boyles Law. Your urethra would only be opened when YOU were voiding urine = urine LEAVING the body under pressure - enough pressure to open the urethra.

All tubes within the body don't have the intrinsic strength (like a straw has) to stay open. They use either cartilage, bone or muscle to keep them open when needed, and instantly close when finished. This is ONE of the bodies natural defenses against bacterial infection.

Yes, UTIs exist, as do bacteria ON the skin, but the design of the body prevents them entering the body... that is unless some idiot defeats one or more of the defence mechanisms. Wearing diapers, or sitting in urine does NOT defeat any of the bodies defense mechanisms. Consider the cost of the law cases against the diaper manufactures if one person even thought that diapers were harmful? In America, a McD customer sued McD for providing hot coffee!

PS, please refer to me as BK or babykeiff.

My understanding is that NASA bought out a company and converted the entire assembly line. The design in patterned and they are best described as being close to Dry 24/7 or Astro Briefs. However the production of even those diapers has stopped as they created a stock pile that should last manned space travel for at least 10 more years. I could always be wrong, though that is the information that DF scrounged up some time ago.

The caption for that 'diaper' in the photo babykeiff posted says a lot about NASA, I think. It's a little hard to read but as far as I can make out, it says:

This type of undergarment was developed for female

astronauts on early Shuttle flights to wear during

launch or spacewalks. Male astronauts could wear a

urine collection hose and bag assembly. Now, most

astronauts, male and female, choose to use ordinary,

commercially available disposable undergarments

when wearing pressure suits.

So spend millions researching ways to pee in space and then end up phoning XP Medical for a case of Abena's :lol:

The space diaper looks great though - I want some! :P