LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Is Anyone Else Here Mentally Ill

Kari

I have been on Social Security disability for just short of a decade.

Durring that time, I have seen my Grandmother deteriorate.

I was her P.O.A. but she was still able to make her own decisions.

And besides my best efforts (with my family's blessing)

Her church got involved.

And screwed up any plans up of a life in assisted living.

Now she's in a conventional Nursing Home, but where's her "church" now?

Just because one claims to be a Christian doesn't mean they really are, but I digress...

Long story that I'd rather not relive.

She's in her 80's and I'm in my 40's.

I pretty much know by the time I'M 50 THAT I will need a guardian.

I don't want to be the same burden to my friends who I trust more than even family.

When they think I'm ready, I will go.

I can barely can hold my bladder, but that's the only thing that I look forward too.

I just want stories and advice from others that deal with an older family member.

Or like myself, see it coming soon.

• Like 1

hey kari, under the polls section for any member to post a poll there is a three or four page thread just about this... many members have joined in this discussion on that thread.

If you know you have an illness that is going to leave you in need of a power of attorney or caregiver in the future i would suggest having a frank talk with those friends or family members who you feel could best advocate for you and ask one of them if they would be your power of attorney. Then you MUST MUST MUST make out a living will. Meet with your doctors and other health care professionals to discuss your wishes, then meet with an attorney and make up a living will that is legal. Although not 100% fool proof, a living will can help ensure your family and loved ones honor your wishes, and not just what they think you may have wanted.

Many doctors can give you information regarding a living will, and the phone numbers or websites of organizations which can assist you in making and filing one. Your doctor can also answer questions regarding medical situations so you can be as thorough, clear and concise as possible in your will.

it is important in this will to state who you would wish to be your power of attorney, and to talk with these folks first about your wishes so if they do need to step in they are prepared.

I actually recommend EVERYONE make a living will, no matter how young and healthy one may be, you never know when you may be in a car accident and need someone to advocate for you. I have had a living will since i was 19. My brother was in a car accident and in a coma for 10 days. This is when i decided i needed to make my wishes known.

Also it is important to keep you will updated, if you feel you no longer want a particular person to act on your behalf, or medical technologies change, or any other important change happens, update it as soon as possible to make sure your current desires are being met.

• Like 3

hey kari, under the polls section for any member to post a poll there is a three or four page thread just about this... many members have joined in this discussion on that thread.

If you know you have an illness that is going to leave you in need of a power of attorney or caregiver in the future i would suggest having a frank talk with those friends or family members who you feel could best advocate for you and ask one of them if they would be your power of attorney. Then you MUST MUST MUST make out a living will. Meet with your doctors and other health care professionals to discuss your wishes, then meet with an attorney and make up a living will that is legal. Although not 100% fool proof, a living will can help ensure your family and loved ones honor your wishes, and not just what they think you may have wanted.

Many doctors can give you information regarding a living will, and the phone numbers or websites of organizations which can assist you in making and filing one. Your doctor can also answer questions regarding medical situations so you can be as thorough, clear and concise as possible in your will.

it is important in this will to state who you would wish to be your power of attorney, and to talk with these folks first about your wishes so if they do need to step in they are prepared.

I actually recommend EVERYONE make a living will, no matter how young and healthy one may be, you never know when you may be in a car accident and need someone to advocate for you. I have had a living will since i was 19. My brother was in a car accident and in a coma for 10 days. This is when i decided i needed to make my wishes known.

Also it is important to keep you will updated, if you feel you no longer want a particular person to act on your behalf, or medical technologies change, or any other important change happens, update it as soon as possible to make sure your current desires are being met.

Thanks Sarah!

I hope and pray most are happy and well who frequent here.

All I know is, it needs to be done for me.

I was a D/L when I was a vibrant 20 year old. (all my life)

Now when I get to the point of incontinence, loss of memory, etc.

Whatever I am aware of will be taken care of in a dignified matter.

im just curious as to what your mental illness is. Are you early onset Alzheimer's?

I'm bipolar.... but I aint goin to a home. I'll tell whoever is taking care of me to drive

me out somewhere distant and remote and just put one in the noodle.

you can only sue if you can prove your disability is not a danger to you or others at your work place, and that with REASONABLE accomodations they could have kept you employed, but someone who 'blows up' could be considered a detriment to the business and therefore is not covered under ADA....

buuuuttt... it does suck you lost your job, i'm glad though you are going to be getting some income coming in.

another thing many people dont want to think about, especially us young ones.. is setting up a savings account and putting even $10 a day or week or whatever into it, to provide for yourself in your later years in the event something DOES happen to you. You may get social security but chances are it won't be enough. Start saving now, and even if it just goes to pay for your funeral at least you wont be a burden to others. I have something like 25,000 already saved up... so when i die its gonna be one kick ass party thrown with my money!!!

• Like 1

I am not mentally ill -- at least, I don't think so, but I live with someone who is. It's a major responsibility to take of someone who is mentally disabled. It's heartbreaking.

• Like 1

I am and I hate it, I get passed from person to person and my keyworkers drive me mad sometimes because they act like they're my parents and nag at me. I hate not having any freedom, I wish I could just pack my bags and go somewhere. sad.gif

Is there any reason you can not leave??

I am not mentally ill -- at least, I don't think so, but I live with someone who is. It's a major responsibility to take of someone who is mentally disabled. It's heartbreaking.

That's what I like about you "DirtyRocker"

You Don't come on here and bash other people for what they have to say.

And you are empathetic.

Wish we were friends in R/L.

Is there any reason you can not leave??

I have to stay with the Early Intervention team for 6 months minimum, and also I have to see my doctor regularly for prescriptions etc. :(

I can go away for a week if I want, but I have to be back before I run out of meds (they only give me 1 months supply at a time.)

That's what I like about you "DirtyRocker"

You Don't come on here and bash other people for what they have to say.

And you are empathetic.

Wish we were friends in R/L.

I do bash people... with sledgehammers, preferably, but thank you for the compliment.

One thing that gets to me a lot is the r-word. I used to use that word all the time when I was younger, but as I got older, I realized how hurtful it is.

Good video to watch:

• Like 1

Bravo, DR.

The word "retard" is hurtful and unnecessary...Personally I think it should even be removed from the medical texts, to be honest. Maybe that's a bit extreme, but I think that's something that started off the use of the word as an insult. Whenever I see someone using it, I try to correct them. It's been used on both ends, too - to insult the mentally challenged, AND the physically challenged. I can't tell you how many times I was labeled "retarded".

Another word that has been twisted around and used as an insult is "gay". I believe this has to stop, too.

Oh the memories of middle through high school...Everything disliked was apparently "gay" and/or "retarded". <_<

~ moogle

although medically speaking the word retard started off as being used correctly when something is retarded it is stunted or stopped, so to be retarded in intellectual development (which at the time it was used was the knowledge believed to be correct regarding certain medical conditions) is corrected... However, it did soon become something which was used as an insult.

Unfortuantely many scientific terms have been twisted this way. Homo, derives from Homosexual - one sex, or attracted to the same sex - but has now been turned into an insult to throw around.

So while many words may be used correctly, such as "that tree stump is retarded" i'm guessing the person using the word doesn't even KNOW they are using it correctly, and the intent behind the word is certainly not one of medical or scientific explanation.

• Like 1

Terminology changes. Language evolves (and sometimes devolves). Words dealing with disorders or really, anything that's not in-line with the generally accepted "normal" status can be corrupted into an insult. It's also dependent upon the context of where it's used and who's using it. "White" is a derogatory term within the Native American community. "Indian" has typically been a derogatory term used by white folk, but is embraced as a cultural identity word by many Native Americans. To a lesser extent, this is also true of the "N-Word". For a while, "mexican" was used to refer to anyone who was Hispanic (and sometimes still is). "Gay" used to mean "happy", then it meant "homosexual", and then it became adopted as an insult that usually means "stupid and lame".

I do bash people... with sledgehammers, preferably, but thank you for the compliment.

One thing that gets to me a lot is the r-word. I used to use that word all the time when I was younger, but as I got older, I realized how hurtful it is.

Good video to watch:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PE_5_BbZlbI

Hey it's one of the Bob's!

I admit it, I'm a Michael Bolton fan!

I celebrate the guy's entire collection! For my money it doesn't get any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman"!

Wow- when I first clicked on that video I thought he was going to talk about "Republicans". Thanks Rocker- this was a rather thoughtful idea to bring forward. We have a number of God's eternal children in our extended family, and I love them all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have aspergers syndrome which makes it very difficult for me to find and maintain work due to problems with communication and processing information. I also just can't handle a full-time job even if I'm wearing diapers lol. I'm trying to get onto my province's disability assistance program.

• 1 month later...

It is heartbreaking. But once in a while I hope you get the feeling I do when I know that I have made her life a little better by being there.

Sure, it's heartbreaking in a sense that the people you're taking care of can't take care of themselves, but it gives me peace knowing that I'm protecting them and giving them as much time, attention and love as I possibly can.