LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ruth Roman And Ted Post

Recently on another thread I cannot find, a member opined that the 1973 feature film "The Baby" was a low-budget flick with poor script, direction and acting. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. I am writing now, as I have in the past, because I do enjoy many aspects of "The Baby." Like other members, I am entitled to express my opinion. Up front I will also admit that my husband Don, long before I knew him, rented the movie cameras and much other technical equipment to Quintet Productions which made "The Baby." For years until Ted Post died, he was good friends with Don. Personally the only member of the cast and crew I have met is Anjanette Comer. This was about 2 years ago. My impression is that Anjanette prefers to not discuss "The Baby" which is her choice. Considering she also starred in "The Loved One" in 1965 with Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters and Rod Steiger as well as "The Appaloosa" we had all that to talk about.

The claim was made "The Baby" was low budget. Actually for 1973 when it was made its budget was considered somewhat generous. Don was paid on time for all the equipment he provided and there was no problem with the insurance on that equipment, unlike many other films. Besides, for those who think a large budget ensures a well written and acted success, I have one word: "Istar"; two words: "Heaven's Gate"; and three words: "Howard The Duck" As for very entertaining features that have stood-up for decades, remember "Casablanca" was at the time considered a minor low budget "B" movie by Warner Brothers.

Ted Post, who directed "The Baby" also directed "The Harrad Experiment" and "Magnum Force" (with Clint Eastwood) in 1973. He was a successful director for many years. His other films include "Beneath The Planet of The Apes" in 1970, working with Don. In 1978 Ted Post directed "Good Guys Wear Black" As far as I can tell, "The Baby" was the only diaper movie Mr. Post directed.

Ruth Roman played "Mrs. Wadsworth", the mother of "Baby" In 1949 she was nominated for a Golden Globe for "Champion" On Saturday 17 April 2010 Turner Classic Movies is showing Ruth Roman starring with Farley Granger, Robert Walker and Leo G. Carroll in "Strangers On A Train" directed by Alfred Hitchcock in 1951. We can only speculate what financial pressures caused Ruth Roman to go from such a prestige feature to "The Baby" 21 years later. In the late 1940s until the early 1960s Ruth Roman was a real star. Take a look at "Strangers On A Train" and form your own opinion. Since it will start at 5pm in California, that would be 8pm on the East Cost of the USA. Probably Canada has a different TCM schedule.

Marianna Hill played the more mature and possibly more evil older sister "Germaine Wadsworth" She was featured in "Medium Cool" in 1969. In "The Godfather: Part II" Marianna plays the drunken show-girl wife of "Fredo Corleone"

Suzanne Zener was in "Play It Again, Sam" with Woody Allen in 1972. Then besides "The Baby" in 1973 she also is featured in "The Way We Were" with Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford.

Remember the attractive teen babysitter who was severely beaten by Mrs. Wadsworth when "Baby" was discovered suckling her? It was Erin O'Reilly playing that part. In 1970 Erin was featured with Robert Redford in "Little Fauss and Big Halsey" Years later Erin played a countess very well in 2001's "The Princess Diaries" directed by Gary Marshall.

David Mooney (then credited as "David Manzy") played "Baby" Later he had a featured role in 1992's "Chaplin"

It is hard to know if a connection to "The Baby" ended any careers. Probably most cast and crew took the jobs for a pay check. Nearly everyone who is successful in movies has credits they do not show when auditioning for subsequent parts.

Fantastic read, Angela!

In October of 2009, we had a Halloween Party at my home in NJ, with thirteen in attendance. Now that I think about that, it IS spooky! Anyway, Jeffie_AB from PA brought the dvd 'The Baby' to show the party. In its '70s melodramatic style with a rather dark feel, it was a big Hit here! Now I know where I'd seen some of the actresses before. That Baby could act, unless he was tripping out on something very effective. Somehow most of us had not seen the movie, not even in BlockBuster (hehe I know I would have grabbed it if I had seen it there!) I do remember the bit part of Fredo's Girlfriend in TGF2, also. Great Great Stuff! Thanks. B)

I do so love when you post stuff like this. It fills in the gaps. Now One thing came to mind as I read all the history. Is their any Movie that Don has Credits on?...like on the true credits, could I actually take the time for once and sit through the credits and see his name? I think that would be so cool! :closedeyes::thumbsup:

I do so love when you post stuff like this. It fills in the gaps. Now One thing came to mind as I read all the history. Is their any Movie that Don has Credits on?...like on the true credits, could I actually take the time for once and sit through the credits and see his name? I think that would be so cool! :closedeyes::thumbsup:

Don has told me that generally he did not want screen credit, because although he was a member of the appropriate unions, during most of his career he was primarily a studio executive. Buried deep in the end crawl on "Beneath The Planet of The Apes" Don is one of about a hundred people getting thanked. Even on a DVD I am not sure freeze frame would let anyone read that.

Any idea what happened to the other "baby" film(No idea of actual title of film) that was reported as being in or going into production. Not sure what year but was maybe ten to fifteen years ago. Mickey Rooney as lead role.

Plot was some rich guy paying someone to keep him as a baby 24/7.

Any idea what happened to the other "baby" film(No idea of actual title of film) that was reported as being in or going into production. Not sure what year but was maybe ten to fifteen years ago. Mickey Rooney as lead role.

Plot was some rich guy paying someone to keep him as a baby 24/7.

Belinda,if it where Mickey Rooney all you got to do is google him to find out what the name of the film was.

Bleh that movie really gave me the creeps. I wonder if my boyfriend has watched it and kinda wanna force him to now, haha. I watched it once when I was 15 at a sleepover or something (none ABDL setting funnily enough), and it gave me the total creeps but I'm curious to watch it again.

As for a mickey rooney film, that sounds like an urban legend...

I am just wondering what the inspiration for the script was, and where this idea came from. Really kind of odd for the '70's. Me thinks someone one the crew was possibly an AB??? :P

I am just wondering what the inspiration for the script was, and where this idea came from. Really kind of odd for the '70's. Me thinks someone one the crew was possibly an AB??? :P

In December 1990, months before I met Don Davis, Tommy of DPF showed me "The Baby" at his home which at the time was in Sausalito, CA USA. That was the first I even knew such a movie existed. In fact it was less than 3 months after I learned there is an AB/DL Community. I jumped to the same conclusion, Abe Polosky (writer/producer) and his brother Milton (producer) must have been AB. Tommy told me as far as his research showed, the term "Adult Baby" was not in general use in 1972 when the movie was in production. Although I sometimes wore "just in case" diapers in 1972, given I was only 8 years old, I would not have seen "The Baby" in a theater when it came out. Apparently it did run in a surprising large number of USA theaters in 1973 and became a Friday night cult favorite until "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" came along a few years later.

When I was in law school on Saturday nights Rocky Horror played at midnight at a theater across the street from campus. People would wear Rocck costumes and sing along. Sometimes I wore my "Janet" outfit but more often I dressed as "Magenta" with my Attends covered by my maid's uniform.

In December 1990, months before I met Don Davis, Tommy of DPF showed me "The Baby" at his home which at the time was in Sausalito, CA USA. That was the first I even knew such a movie existed. In fact it was less than 3 months after I learned there is an AB/DL Community. I jumped to the same conclusion, Abe Polosky (writer/producer) and his brother Milton (producer) must have been AB. Tommy told me as far as his research showed, the term "Adult Baby" was not in general use in 1972 when the movie was in production. Although I sometimes wore "just in case" diapers in 1972, given I was only 8 years old, I would not have seen "The Baby" in a theater when it came out. Apparently it did run in a surprising large number of USA theaters in 1973 and became a Friday night cult favorite until "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" came along a few years later.

When I was in law school on Saturday nights Rocky Horror played at midnight at a theater across the street from campus. People would wear Rocck costumes and sing along. Sometimes I wore my "Janet" outfit but more often I dressed as "Magenta" with my Attends covered by my maid's uniform.

Well, maybe the trem or label of being an A/B wasn't in use, but you still have to wonder about the motivation behind coming up with the screen play and production, there has to be something in there somewhere. Though, if Rocky Horror came out a while later, which is yet another odd and weird movie, I guess and anything can happen for any reason.

Rocky events are crazy! I have only been to one, but had a blast, with the flying rice, and toast, and various audience members shouting alternate script lines....I had one of the best laugh experiences and I should go back, I can't imagine what it would be like today :roflmao:

To much fun!

qwack

I have seen the movie and all I will say it creeped me out big-time. It just seemed weird and too bizarre for my tastes for some reasons. I will give the movie it's due, but the reason the movie creeped me out was the scene where the sisters were using the cattle prod on Baby, and the scene where one of the sisters slips off her panties and nightgown and crawls into Baby's crib with him... shudder. That movie just gave me the heebie-jeebies- far worse than any other movie I have ever seen in my life.

Angela, I like your in-depth knowledge of the AB world, and the film industry. I find your posts fascinating.

BabyChris121675

i seen a picture of mickey rooney in star magazine some years ago .Rerering to that movie .He was in a giant stroller wearing a diaper :thumbsup:

Found this online...Doesn't seem to be available on DVD. Would love to see it!

THE MILKY LIFE [La Vida Lactea] (1993).

Mickey Rooney has had one of the most eccentric film careers imaginable, from being at the top of the Hollywood shitheap in his youth, to such later, certifiably-insane projects as Preminger's LSD-comedy SKIDOO, THE MANIPULATOR, and EVERYTHING'S DUCKY (a talking-duck comedy co-starring Buddy Hackett). In the process, you can't help but admire an actor who's so quick to put his dignity on hold, with such half-baked passion. Believe it or not, this is one of Mickey's weirdest gigs, with director Juan Esterlich treating this crackpot concept like it had genuine artistic validity. Boy, was he wrong! Set within the grounds of a palatial estate, Mick plays billionaire Barry Cortez Reilly, who retires on his 80th birthday, accompanied by all of his family-leeches. But what good is having more money than God, if you can't live life the way you want to? So off goes the respectable tuxedo, and on goes a diaper, as Reilly decides to spend the rest of his life like a carefree baby, with his money-hungry family forced to care for him. Reilly even hires a wet-nurse (BAGDAD CAFE's Marianne Sagebrecht), builds a gigantic crib, and waddles around in an oversized diaper. It's not a pretty sight, but you'll laugh your ass off as Rooney's fat gut hangs over his Mega-Pampers, he squeezes into a giant high-chair and sucks at Marianne's huge breasts. Amidst long scenes of Mickey and his nanny playing, bathing, bonding, and slowly falling in love, his asshole kin are selling off the furniture in order to continue their lavish lifestyle. Even more unexpected, after a burglary-based knock on the head, Reilly becomes a real infant -- who develops baby teeth, rejuvenates his own cells, and converses with his great-grandson in gurgly baby-talk. In the process, all of the silly subplots (romance, tragedy and family healing) are lost in wake of Rooney's bizarre plight. Dubbed into Spanish, with English subtitles, I missed Mickey's distinctive voice, but still enjoyed watching him at his most self-deprecating -- looking like Lawrence Tierney after being stuffed into a trash compactor. Co-starring William Hootkins as Reilly's fat son, this is deeper, darker and more deranged than the goofy premise would have you expect. Conceived with all of the best intentions, but more deserving of a camp fanfare, thank god it's only 77 minutes long.

© 1999 by Steven Puchalski.