LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Dsm-V Is Up For Review And Comment‏

DSM-V is on-line for review and comments. Comments will be accepted

until sometime in April.

For those you don't know, the DSM is the American Psychiatric Association's "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders".

The DSM, whether deservedly or not, holds much sway in defining "normal" behavior, thoughts, and related. The sections relating to Paraphillias located under Sexual and Gender Identity Disorder could be of some interest in relation to AB/DL. Check such things as "Fetish", "Sexual Masochism" and "Sexual Sadism" which maybe of interest.

There is a place to login or register your comments regarding the proposals.

I'm sure they would appreciate some insights from people on being catagorized as such.

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

I gave this a cursory look and I can't find anything as earthshaking as the news reports would have people believe.

I doubt that doctors really use the DSM as a treatment guide as suggested by said news reports.

What I got out of what I read was, neurosis is not a "disorder" unless the subject's life is adversly affected. Same thing they said in DSM 4.

I wish mainstream news would pay more attention to medicine and science but this story is not worthy of the hype.

Anondl

Doctors don't necessarily use this as a complete treatment guide, however, most psychiatrists etc... will consult this book to verification of a suspected diagnosis and if it is something they are not familiar with or used to treating with use this, along with consulting others in their field for advice on where to go next in treatment.

Collectively, just among the members of this website alone, we have a huge wealth of human experience in the AB/DL/Littles population which could likely tip the social and psychology fields on end. Thank goodness for pioneers like Bitter Grey who continue to advance this knowledge in an fair, organized, scientific way. We need, still, to resist being defined and boxed in, as we are always changing (no pun intended, oops) how we behave over time (because diapering technology and infant care are constantly evolving, as are cultural taboos and norms).

Here the world is, waiting on the DSM-V, which is sorta like looking backwards, when cultures with public AB/DL populations are no longer inconceivable (Denmark, Japan, Germany, etc...)(Go Toast Girl!) With all the great forum activity we have here on DailyDiapers, how can you not be learning about yourself every day and expanding your self-knowledge and community awareness, "every day"? I think the name itself, DailyDiapers is as appropriate as it will ever get in our population. This is where the real knowledge is. So much for the DSM series.

Whups, I think I spent more than two cents on this one, hehe

One change is that they're oficially abandoning Roman numerals and are calling this one "DSM 5". Revisions will be called 5.1, 5.2 etc. ;) Here's some links:

Overview- http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/GeneralPsychiatry/18399

GID Paper- http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Sex%20and%20GID%20Lit%20Reviews/GID/MEYER-BAHLBURG.DSM.pdf

Entire Revision Draft- http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

I've mainly kept up with the GID section for TG diagnoses B) There they are changing the name to "Gender Incongruity" to more truly reflect reality as they've finally come to realize that it is not a "disorder" :D I've seen the "Q+A" they propose to use for diagnosis which has been sectioned into age categories. Question "A1" affirmation is necessary for diagnosis in non-adults, but not mature adults. The range of answers is 1-5 and only the two strongest indicators are considered affirmations. There must be at least 3 affirmations to designate "GI" at any level.

There are likely going to be changes before the DSM5 is published so stay tuned. The DSM is almost universally used as a diagnostic and treatment guide since it offers the Clinician a solid legal defense in the event of a lawsuit and adherence to it is required by most malpractice insurers. It's not perfect but it is supposedly the "expert opinion" in the Psychiatry field. A history of the DSM is here: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-dsmbox10-2010feb10,0,7852958.story

I woke up late so I've gotta rush to work now- sorry for any misspellings etc! No time to proofread as I usually do :(

Bettypooh

They are going to remove Asperger's and make it all autism. It's about time.

emot-dance-big.gif

Fantastic :) They're considering the same for PDD-NOS too so maybe now the ICD will follow suit and we can end all this stupid 5 names for the same thing crap. Didn't think I'd ever say it but today, I like the DSM people :lol: