LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disability Insurance And Incontinence?

I am new to this board, however I have a few questions. I have been having episodes of complete bowel and bladder incontinence. Today I went to another physician who put me out on disability, under the assumption that I have some type of nuerological issue taking place. Due to the fact that I am employed as a high school teacher, will this issue limit me from collecting private short or long term disability. The effect is quite obvious, wet/soiled skin and a fetid diaper in front of teenagers. I am also having issues with weakness and concentration in additional to the total incontinence. Also, will private medical insurance pay for adult diapers?

Thanks,

Pplexed

I taught eighth grade English and U.S. History for many years, wearing gauze diapers and plastic pants under my regular pants. I had contingency plans in place should I need to change diapers. Responsible students would do various activities until I returned. The teacher in the adjoining classroom would open her door to monitor the room for me.

Short term and long term disability covers incontinence, and yes, some medical insurance companies pay for diapers. Do see a doctor and get a thorough examination of your brain and spine (MRI, etc.). Good luck!

pplexed,

an MRI scan focusing on your primary nervous functionality is strongly suggested. You stated that apart from the incontinence, you have problems with concentration. Do you also have eyesight dysfunction - ie blurred/tunnel vision etc and/or breathlessness / over-tiredness? It seems to me that you have either a high cholesterol problem or more likely, a high pressure area within your brain. Both, are cureable, and an MRI or a PET scan is strongly advisable. You never mentioned your country, but most medical insurance schemes will cover this type of procedure, as well as covering you for loss of earnings etc. If you are employed full-time, your employer has to hold your position open for you while you are on medical leave. If your current medical practitioner has not suggest either MRI or PET, I strongly suggest that you change medical practitioner.

• 1 month later...

My heallth insurance is from AETNA. My insurance does not cover diapers. I do have a medical savings account which allows me to set aside tax free funds for medical needs. Said account allows me to buy adult diapers, prescription medication and over the counter medication.

I am new to this board, however I have a few questions. I have been having episodes of complete bowel and bladder incontinence. Today I went to another physician who put me out on disability, under the assumption that I have some type of nuerological issue taking place. Due to the fact that I am employed as a high school teacher, will this issue limit me from collecting private short or long term disability. The effect is quite obvious, wet/soiled skin and a fetid diaper in front of teenagers. I am also having issues with weakness and concentration in additional to the total incontinence. Also, will private medical insurance pay for adult diapers?

Thanks,

Pplexed

My insurance does not cover diapers.

Yeah, mine doesn't either. They said it's because diapers are a "wearable" product. So were the colostomy bags and skin barriers, but those were covered.

It's probably because sometimes incontinence just happens without any medical "reason." As there must always be some underlying cause, insurance basically hides behind the assumption that they can't prove whether someone (like me) is truly incontinent, or if they are just using diapers for convenience/lifestyle/whatever.

The biggest difference is state-based. My insurance covers a certain amount per month which covers about 2/3's average use and 4/4 use of guards. If I lived in Oklahoma however, I wouldn't be covered. I've seen this question asked on several other forums and the replies are pretty much the same. You just gotta check for your area. :)