LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Catheter Only Over Night?

Would this be a decent option to experience night time wetting and a possible way to get in the habbit? I do realise you must be EXTREMELY careful and use a sterile environment. So what do you all think? Has any one tried this and where would you recomend ordering one, application, etc etc. This would be my first time using one.

The concern I have heard people talking about is with a diaper it would be possible for pee to get back up and cause an infection. Where if you are wearing a bag it is a lot less likely for pee to come back up the tube causing an infection. Though people have highly warned against I have heard of several people on here using a cather with diapers and so far not heard of them having problems. I really want to try it, but don't think it is worth the risk of possibly getting an infection that could kill you or cause other major health issues. So really research what could happen and decide if you are willing to take the risks as even in hospitals tons of people get infections from cathers.

The concern I have heard people talking about is with a diaper it would be possible for pee to get back up and cause an infection. Where if you are wearing a bag it is a lot less likely for pee to come back up the tube causing an infection. Though people have highly warned against I have heard of several people on here using a cather with diapers and so far not heard of them having problems. I really want to try it, but don't think it is worth the risk of possibly getting an infection that could kill you or cause other major health issues. So really research what could happen and decide if you are willing to take the risks as even in hospitals tons of people get infections from cathers.

That is why I have made this post :). I want to know if it is a "safe" way of getting the experiance with the possible benifit of night time wetting.

I would be careful. You could catch a UTI.

Catheters can make you incontinent for a while. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Would this be a decent option to experience night time wetting and a possible way to get in the habbit? I do realise you must be EXTREMELY careful and use a sterile environment. So what do you all think? Has any one tried this and where would you recomend ordering one, application, etc etc. This would be my first time using one.

I would be careful. You could catch a UTI.

Catheters can make you incontinent for a while. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

UTI is something I do not desire but over night I would assume would be ok. If I were to become incontinent for a bit no big deal. I have done the Diapered 24/7 for a while now and have become accustomed to it.

When using catheters drink plenty of cranberry juice and you’ll be fine as long as you keep things CLEAN!

One word of caution, I was doing this for a while and could not make a full night without totally soaking the heaviest of diapers and most of the bed. I guess if you did not drink a lot before bed you may have a better luck with the wet bet.

I'v used a catheter with a diaper brfore but never over night I went four hours my ATN diaper was so full it started to lick put I loved it. I would like to try it all night some time so let me know how it go's. be safe and clean you'll be fine Have fun. :D

what about a condom catheter? no insertion required... i know they are out there and would reduce the risk of uti, but i'm not sure how well they work... maybe someone here as tried them before?

I've worn a cath with diapers to bed a few times, personally I think it's pretty nice. I love waking up and being absolutely soaked. I don't think there's really any risk of the urine flowing back through the catheter and into your bladder; once the diaper soaks it up it's staying there and drinking plenty of liquids should keep stale urine from collecting in the tube. Wear a seriously absorbant diaper though, sometimes I wet enough to leak through an abena x-plus with an abri-let booster in a single night when I'm cathed!

Even after wearing the catheter for a few days, I've never really developed any problems with incontinence at all, except once when I messed up with inflating the balloon. That time, I accidentally inflated it while it was still in my sphincter and stretched it out . . . couldnt control it too well for a few hours but it righted itself overnight. Still, I was pretty terrified I was gonna honestly need diapers forever :( UTI's are kinda hard to get for guys if you take the right precautions like using sterile stuff and wearing gloves while you put it in. If something does happen, it ought to be perfectly treatable as long as you bite the bullet and tell a doc the naughty things you've been doing (dunno from personal experience, but that seems to be the general consensus anyway).

I dunno if using a catheter could actually train you to wet in your sleep, but might as well try :D There are plenty of places that sell catheters, like www.allegromedical.com for one. I'd recommend the latex caths over silicone, since the silicone ones are stiffer and at least for me they hurt more. 16fr is probably the size you'd want for your first time. You should definitely get a catheterisation tray as opposed to just the caths, since the trays come with sterile lube, antibiotics and stuff. Putting in the cath will probably hurt somewhat . . . what can I say, it's a sensitive place.

16fr seems kind of large for the first time! I tried a 12fr the first time and it felt HUGE.

That's true, it did feel pretty big . . .

I dunno, I'd always heard that if you went too small, you'd end up leaking a bunch and the thing would shift around too much. That and the first batch of catheters I ever bought was shipped in the wrong size . . . so I got the joy of starting with 18fr. Yay.

First do a search of catheters, this topic has come up hundreds of time on the boards.

I've been self-cathing for fun for over 20 years now. Yes it absolutely is risky! Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You WILL get a UTI if you play around with catheters long enough. Will a UTI cause life long incontinence? Hell no, that's FUD crap (Fear Uncertainty Doubt, the tools of the safety police). If you get a UTI it's best to go to a doctor and tell them you have a bladder infection. If you're a dude the doc will look at you funny and ask a few questions. Fact is, girls get UTI's all the time (shorter "pipping" to let bad stuff in), guys rarely do. Sum it up, risky? Yep... worth it? I think so.

Ok then, on to the fun part. Sizing is going to be different for everyone. I started with a 12fr... over the years I've tried plenty of different sizes and find a 18fr-20fr works best for me. The smaller catheter actually is more painful for me. I think it's because my muscles try to close around the cath, rather than being held open by the cath. Does it hurt going in? Depends on your level of pain threshold and how careful you are. I don't find it really painful, but then again I rather love being cath'ed so it's a fair trade off. Make sure you know what you are doing and use lots of lube! Keep everything sterile for insertion and never re-use a catheter. Use single, sterile packets of lube, etc. Personally I like 100% silicone catheters. I find them more comfortable and less irritating. I understand in the US you need a prescription (or ebay ;-), in Canada you do not.

I usually keep a catheter in for a maximum of three days / two nights. Longer than this I find it increases the chances of infection. While cath'ed I drink way more liquids than I would normally which helps flush the system. As someone else said, drink cranberry juice ( and / or take cranberry supplements). I also find the herb "Uva Uris" is awesome in preventing bladder infections. Sometimes at night I'll plug the end of the catheter so I don't have to wake up in a wet bed. Like a couple other of posters I have never been able to go overnight in a catheter and not flood the diaper and bed, probably because I drink so much during the day and evening.

Have fun and play safe ;)

InD

what about a condom catheter? no insertion required... i know they are out there and would reduce the risk of uti, but i'm not sure how well they work... maybe someone here as tried them before?

The condom type is just a sleeve that goes over your johnson and redirects the pee out a tube at the end. A REAL cath will insert up into your bladder, causing you to have no control over when the urine comes out (basically bypasses your internal valve). So they are two very different things.

First do a search of catheters, this topic has come up hundreds of time on the boards.

I've been self-cathing for fun for over 20 years now. Yes it absolutely is risky! Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You WILL get a UTI if you play around with catheters long enough. Will a UTI cause life long incontinence? Hell no, that's FUD crap (Fear Uncertainty Doubt, the tools of the safety police). If you get a UTI it's best to go to a doctor and tell them you have a bladder infection. If you're a dude the doc will look at you funny and ask a few questions. Fact is, girls get UTI's all the time (shorter "pipping" to let bad stuff in), guys rarely do. Sum it up, risky? Yep... worth it? I think so.

Ok then, on to the fun part. Sizing is going to be different for everyone. I started with a 12fr... over the years I've tried plenty of different sizes and find a 18fr-20fr works best for me. The smaller catheter actually is more painful for me. I think it's because my muscles try to close around the cath, rather than being held open by the cath. Does it hurt going in? Depends on your level of pain threshold and how careful you are. I don't find it really painful, but then again I rather love being cath'ed so it's a fair trade off. Make sure you know what you are doing and use lots of lube! Keep everything sterile for insertion and never re-use a catheter. Use single, sterile packets of lube, etc. Personally I like 100% silicone catheters. I find them more comfortable and less irritating. I understand in the US you need a prescription (or ebay ;-), in Canada you do not.

I usually keep a catheter in for a maximum of three days / two nights. Longer than this I find it increases the chances of infection. While cath'ed I drink way more liquids than I would normally which helps flush the system. As someone else said, drink cranberry juice ( and / or take cranberry supplements). I also find the herb "Uva Uris" is awesome in preventing bladder infections. Sometimes at night I'll plug the end of the catheter so I don't have to wake up in a wet bed. Like a couple other of posters I have never been able to go overnight in a catheter and not flood the diaper and bed, probably because I drink so much during the day and evening.

Have fun and play safe ;)

InD

Thanks for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about catheters: do it yourself! Go slow and it won't hurt as much. Just relax your lower and upper abdomen and then breathe long slow big breaths. This helps your muscles relax better and the bend near your anus which your urethra makes to go up into the bladder is the most sensitive part so take a deep breath right as you feel discomfort (the timing on this is a bit experimental since muscle tone varies from person to person.) Once it gets to the urethral sphincter it will also feel discomfortable but just back out the cath a bit and then take a deep breath and then insert it the rest of the way. Make sure that it is up far enough, and then inflate the balloon.

Guest John_Q_Sample

I have to ask because I see catheter talk all over these boards... doesn't that hurt??? I cant imagine putting anything up that hole.

As stated up above, pain threshold will be an issue until your used to it. Keep everything clean and use plenty of lubricant. Also, for those of you that go for more than a night or so, be sure to clean the catheter using soap and warm water and dry everything off afterwards. Warm, wet surfaces are excellent breeding grounds for bacteria ( don't give'em a chance).

Going slow and taking deep breaths also helps in the insertion. Once you reach the bladder sphincter you will feel a bit more pressure and the reflex to urinate will occur. Just breath slow and try to relax and slowly push it in. If your connected to a drain bag you should start to see urine flow through the tubing to the bag. If not then i recommend a changing pad under you first.

Once your setup and good to go, drinking cranberry juice and keeping well hydrated with water will keep you flowing nicely and also will help keep bacteria from building up in your bladder. Main things to remember is clean and staying hydrated.

Also on a side note, depending on how long you keep the catheter in for, when you remove it i recommend a diaper to be on the safe side for the next 8-10 hrs. You may experience the need to urinate and not be able to make it to the restroom in time. Also until you become more accustomed to it, there will be a burning sensation the first few times you urinate after removing. Just drink liquids and make yourself have to go for a while and you should be ok afterwards.

Be safe and have fun.