Cloth Advice Needed

My incon has returned (temporarily I hope) and I am

tired of all the disposables I go through in a week. Huge

amounts in the trash, and all those trips to the car at

work. At least I have a use for all those plastic grocery

bags again.

So my wife asked me about using cloth, and I haven't

a clue. Seems more degrading to me than what I have

now, but if it's cheaper, I guess I can live with it.

So here's the questions for those who have made

the switch...

How bulky are they for daytime use?

How absorbent? Can I get one or two to last a whole day

in the office? How about at night?

Are they comfortable? or will I feel wet all the time?

How many do I need to start with? Prefold, flat or contour?

Anyone ever sew their own? Seems much cheaper to me.

I have been using cloth diapers for most of my life.

If you are fecal incontinent, cloth is hard to deal with. I wore disposables to work when I was fecal incontinent.

A good cloth diaper will outperform any disposable. How long you wear it depends on you. You can make them as bulky or as thin as you want them to be.

I wear gauze diapers at night. When they start getting thin from washing, I double them up.

You will need plastic overpants to cover the cloth diapers. This is a matter of preference here too. If the diaper is doing its job, loose fitting plastic pants are fine. Many people use plastic pants to compensate for a bad diaper. Air tight plastic pants promote diaper rash.

Just my thoughts

bags again.

the switch...

I have been using cloth diapers for most of my life.

If you are fecal incontinent, cloth is hard to deal with. I wore disposables to work when I was fecal incontinent.

A good cloth diaper will outperform any disposable. How long you wear it depends on you. You can make them as bulky or as thin as you want them to be.

I wear gauze diapers at night. When they start getting thin from washing, I double them up.

You will need plastic overpants to cover the cloth diapers. This is a matter of preference here too. If the diaper is doing its job, loose fitting plastic pants are fine. Many people use plastic pants to compensate for a bad diaper. Air tight plastic pants promote diaper rash.

Just my thoughts

Thanks redneck, I appreciate your feedback. What do you mean by "loose fitting pants are fine"? I have tried plastic pants several times to stops the leaks from cheap disposables, and they just don't fit me. I have big thighs and average waist, so if I get pants big enough to fit my thighs comfortably, they are really HUGE. How do you find non airtight pants that don't leak?

Sometimes my bowels act up and I have the runs for several days at a time, but mostly I'm just urinary incontinent. That too is a transitory thing that seems to happen whenever my meds get adjusted, then it settles down again after a few months. Fortunately, it's winter time and that is more comfortable- summer in a wet diaper isn't fun for me.

I'm unsure about the whole diaper bucket thing, as we haven't explained this to the kids yet, and it will be harder to hide a diaper pail from the kids & housekeeper than just emptying the bathroom trash every morning. How do you keep that discrete?

I have large thighs too. I have my plastic pants custom made. Fetware does a wonderfull job of getting the pants right. Give them a call and they can help you. I have had pants made in the UK as well. Check out Airzona Care UK too.

You really do not want air tight pants. The cloth diaper will absorb. When it gets wet change it. My night diapers are close to 1 inch thick. If the pants are tight they become uncomfortable.

Regarding the diaper pail, I never worried about it. All of my children and grandchildren know that I have wetting issues. My children grew up with a matter of fact attitude. If you don't worry about it, you will find that nobody cares about it. I went through a nasty divorce in 1996 and my ex made sure that everyone knew that I wore diapers. The fallout was not noticable. Most everyone had a "so what" attitude.

Thanks redneck, I appreciate your feedback. What do you mean by "loose fitting pants are fine"? I have tried plastic pants several times to stops the leaks from cheap disposables, and they just don't fit me. I have big thighs and average waist, so if I get pants big enough to fit my thighs comfortably, they are really HUGE. How do you find non airtight pants that don't leak?

Sometimes my bowels act up and I have the runs for several days at a time, but mostly I'm just urinary incontinent. That too is a transitory thing that seems to happen whenever my meds get adjusted, then it settles down again after a few months. Fortunately, it's winter time and that is more comfortable- summer in a wet diaper isn't fun for me.

I'm unsure about the whole diaper bucket thing, as we haven't explained this to the kids yet, and it will be harder to hide a diaper pail from the kids & housekeeper than just emptying the bathroom trash every morning. How do you keep that discrete?

I still don't get it- should I just put on my tighty whiteys over my cloth diaper? Won't that leak? Alot?

Fetware used to creep me out- just too into the whole kink scene. Just looked at their pages, and they are far more conservative these days. Seems expensive though I might try them.

Check out the Comco pants too. they are less expensive.

You may have to experiement. Everyone is different.

I still don't get it- should I just put on my tighty whiteys over my cloth diaper? Won't that leak? Alot?

Fetware used to creep me out- just too into the whole kink scene. Just looked at their pages, and they are far more conservative these days. Seems expensive though I might try them.

• 1 month later...

Cloth diapers are nicer but unfortunately not as discreet as the modern gel filled disposables which start off very thin and only really swell when soaked. Pre-folds are easier but if they are thick enough they take a lot of drying. I always wear plastic pants over any type of nappy, I just don't trust them! High wasted ones with a wide crotch at night and normal ones for day. If you cant get a pair to fit if you message me with your sizes I will make you a pair.

Marcia

• 5 months later...

I have been incontinet for over 10 years now and wear cloth diapers at night and when staying home,disposables during the

day when i go out on a call or shoping etc. I have tried evey cloth diaper and plastic pants on the planet.

adultclothdiaper dot com............ has the best well built flat pre fold cloth diapers, gauze is best you dont fell wet like you would with flannel

babykins dot com............... has the best fitting long lasting plastic pants in the world, built real tough not cheap fett wear they are made for incontinent people. there pants fit good and tight order one size down from what you would think you need. they stretch to comform to your shape.

babykins also has what called a pullon diaper more or less super absobent tighty whity shaped underwear thses are also exceptional

what i do is wear a prefold cloth diaper,with a pullon cloth diaper over that this gives super absobency and the pullon diaper keeps the flat cloth diaper from saging when it gets wet

and like redneck said you can allways add suffers inside your flat cloth diper if you need more absorbency. good stuffers are the largest baby cloth diapers they make, fold em in half and put them in the middle of your diaper.

thing to do is order 1 of each to get your sizing down then you can order as many cloth diapers and plastic pants as you need

belive me i have boxes full of junk diapers from variuos companys on the web,, so this advice about these companys comes at a great cost

if you need anymore help im usaly in the ......chat room at night

.... I have big thighs and average waist, so if I get pants big enough to fit my thighs comfortably, they are really HUGE....

The Langs I purchased from Lifestyles have looser legs than others I've tried but YMMV. I'm built average and use a small size for a tight fit. I don't have my measuring tape handy but I think my waist is 35" and my legs 17". Plastic pants aren't for holding liquid, they're for separating the diaper from outer clothing to prevent liquid transfer and to give the diaper time to do it's job. Gauze diapers feel less wet than the rest but absorb similarly so you should begin there wink.gif

Cloth diapers take experimentation to find what fold and how many layers will work best for you but they are very absorbent. I've never tried it but perhaps a disposable could be used for a stuffer then removed to extend usable wear time. Cloth diapers do have bulk but with careful clothing choices can be fairly discreet. Most sites I've seen dealing with heavier incontinence recommend cloth and while I'm just a casual/nighttime user cloth is my preference because of cost, performance, and comfort.

The diaper pail issue can be a problem sad.gif What I us is a 5 gal. paint bucket and snap on lid bought at Walmart for under $15(if I remember correctly). The buckets come in a few designer colors and the white lids(sold separately) fit tight enough so that 'small hands' would have troble opening it but adults can manage it. Air tight, you can slip this into your closet after use and throw something over it. If appearance doesn't matter a regular plastic 5 gal. paint bucket with a gasket is as airtight as it gets but some people have trouble opening these- there's a "lid wrench" to make that a lot easier. I hope your dilema finds a solution soon cool.gif

Bettypooh

New2Inc,

You have had lots of answers, except for the sewing one. I've tried my hand at sewing both some birdseye prefolds (easy!) and new style pocket diapers (not quite so easy). If you in this for the long haul, pocket style cloth diapers have an inner layer that is 100% polyester which helps you feel dry. Sewing the containment layer, which is usually PUL, is the tricky part. A "walking foot" is the only way I can do it. I bought an adult size pattern on-line and it is a scaled up baby pattern. I have wicking of wetness at the leg opening to the fabric side of the PUL. I'm working on my own design to solve this, but don't hold your breath.

You can purchase pocket diapers sewn by seamstresses, but they are not cheap! Making prefolds is much cheaper than buying them and is something anyone can do because I can do it! Plus, you go really green by choosing bamboo fabric, take the common road with gauze, go ultra cheep with flannel or old school with birdseye. It's all your choice and gives you another skill you can develop. At least, I look at it that way.

bags again.

the switch...