LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Growing Up Diapered

Going back to the early days of Daily Diapers, there have been posts about older kids returned to diapers for many reasons. What makes bladder control difficulties so frustrating to treat and manage is a whole lot of medical issues present as incontinence. In children younger than puberty, bedwetting is termed enuresis, a fancy word comforting a few. Only fairly recently as the urology profession concluded that genetic problems can result in bladder control issues. Seventy years ago, long before women were trained as urologists, my maternal Granny Vi was trying to convince doctors her wetting was not the result of hysterics!

Many times in posts here and in previous groups I have discussed my extended family as being "diaper-friendly" credit for which goes to Granny Vi and her own mother who was wetting before Vi was born in a German city during The Great War. Granny has always told us she was treated with love because her mother understood that wetting can happen, that it is not naughty behavior. Unlike most of the children her age, Vi was not punished physically, nor were her siblings. Years later, in Bellflower, California Vi and her husband James Bremer raised their children gently. Sure enough their daughters Alice and Betsy had puny bladders from birth. Both reverted to bedwetting shortly after puberty. Vi understood and was sympathetic, as was James.

Alice was born in 1937; Betsy in 1947. Alice is my Mom. She came along at a wonderful time, the same year International Latex introduced PlayTex Stretchy Baby Pants. Vi considered those a major advancement not just for her baby. She has always been slender and found the largest size PlayTex fit her. Sure enough, during the darkest days of WWII from 1942 to late 1945 rubber was needed for the war effort and PlayTex pants were off the market. Granny Vi has often told me that upset her more than meat rationing.

James arrived in the USA as a master tool and die maker, so even in the Depression he had a well-paying career in Southern California. His delight was taking car trips with Vi and Alice. The only downside was neither had any bladder capacity. Shortly after Alice was born Vi tried her best to get along during the day without a diaper. As an executive secretary during the work week she managed okay, but the vibration of car trips on unimproved roads in 1930s era autos caused Vi to dribble. The introduction of PlayTex pants gave James an idea. Vi did not mind wearing a diaper and pants for the trips. After Alice was toilet trained Vi sweet-talked her into going back to diapers on trips. This made James very happy.

Going back to her first days in the USA, about 1924, young Vi believed in the effectiveness of Curity gauze diapers made by Kendall Mills. Back home in Germany babies and others who wet wore informal cloth garments. Relatives had found Vi's family a nice place to live in Brooklyn. A neighbor had two infants still in pinned 21x40 Curity gauze diapers. Seeing those flapping on the shared closeline fascinated Vi and her mother. They loved the idea you could go to a store and buy such comfortable and easy to wash diapers. Vi's mom bought a couple of dozen for herself. Vi was proud that she was toilet trained. In October 1929 not only did the stock market crash, Vi reverted to wetting her bed.

Many of us younger than Vi consider any sort of cloth diaper without a waterproof cover really silly. Granny Vi corrected me, explaining in her day rubber pants were thick and very rare, because they were thought to cause diaper rash. Prior to White's A&D and Desitin, diaper rash was a major problem. It well could be in olden times it was not possible to wash diapers as well as we can today, with really hot water, washing machines and detergents such as Dreft. Modern baby wipes have to be better than cleaning a wet or soiled bottom with a rag. Okay, so Granny convinced me that leaving the cloth diaper uncovered was not silly.

A selling point of the PlayTex Stretchy Baby Pants was that they were molded to shape and ventilated so well diaper rash was no longer a problem. That is as may be, hype or puffery. Granny admits that Alice did occasionally get diaper rash. Vi's solution was to let Alice run around the house bare bottom, but not on the rugs!

At some point during WWII early plastic pants were invented and marketed. Vi did not like those for herself. With gas rationing James could not take the family on car trips, so for three years maturing Alice did not wear any diaper.

Even really bad things eventually end. WWII ended in Europe in May 1945 and in Japan in September 1945. Shortly after this James was allowed to buy enough gasoline he not only could drive to work, he could take Vi and Alice on Sunday trips. Vi went out and reluctantly bought Alice the right size plastic pants. James also covered the passenger front seat and the back seat of his car with a waterproof sheet. Even before Betsy was born PlayTex pants returned to stores, with new improved features. One style had vent holes at the sides for use during the day. Larger, even adult sizes, were available in ordinary stores. Vi was delighted!

A couple of years after WWII but before Betsy was ready for toilet training, the basic work week was reduced to 40 hours and only five days. This gave James the chance to take trips on both Sundays and many Saturdays. Vi just bought some more packages of Curity gauze diapers and additional pairs of PlayTex pants!

Auto trips got easier for Vi in 1948 because by then Alice was mature enough to change little Betsy's diapers. Sometime in 1950 Betsy was toilet trained during the day and later at night as well. Unfortunately by then Alice had reached puberty at age 12 and had reverted to bedwetting. Several brands of rubber sheets were on the market and PlayTex were sold all over, perhaps as widely as Huggies and Pampers are today. About this time Vi noticed that in addition to making baby food, Gerber was selling infant and toddler garments. Often on the next shelf to the PlayTex pants were vinyl panties by Gerber. Not wanting to try fixing pants that were not broken, it took a couple of years for Vi to buy a package of Gerber vinyl panties for Betsy.

The middle of 1953 was another frustrating time for Vi. The Bremer family was on an extended trip to Yellowstone National Park, a massive bag of clean Curity diapers easily available in the back of the new family Ford station wagon. As they approached Denver, Vi somehow tore the pair of PlayTex she was wearing. She had some spares, but asked James to stop for lunch at the snack counter of a drug store. To her distress hardly any PlayTex baby pants were in stock, and absolutely none for adults. Vi was bold enough to ask the pharmacist. He told her the International Latex rep had said the PlayTex line was being discontinued. The larger sizes were off the market and even the baby pants were on back-order. In despiration Vi bought a package of the largest Gerber vinyl panties on the shelf. The back had an address in Three Oaks, Michigan. Buying an envelope and stamp, right there during that lunch Vi wrote to Gerber about all sizes of vinyl panties.

From then on the trip was a mad race. It was nip and tuck if the Bremer family would get home while Vi still had a usable pair of PlayTex pants for herself. Try as she did she could not fit into the largest pair of Gerber panties she had found in stores. At least on the way back, in Las Vegas of all places, Vi found Gerber panties large enough for Alice, who had just turned 16.

The good news was that when they did reach their Bellflower home, a reply from Gerber was waiting. By mail-order Gerber vinyl panties were sold for even exceptionally large adults. Without hesitation Vi responded with a significant order, paying with a personal check. In 1954 PlayTex displays were removed from stores, although some remaining stock was being sold into 1956. Vi could care less, she was that happy with the quality and service from the Gerber vinyl pants factory.

The fall of 1953 was when Alice took a sewing class in high school, using a period when other gals were learning to type. Vi had long before taught Alice to type and take Pittman-Greg shorthand. That home ec class had some new zig-zag sewing machines. Alice told Vi and Betsy. James did not mind buying a top of the line Singer zig zag for the family. With that Vi and Betsy were able to sew two of the Curity gauze diapers together, to make a 40" square. Using those it was easier to fold the diaper to fit bigger teens, like Alice, and adults like Vi. Little Betsy was still comfy in newer standard 21x40" Curity gauze diapers.

Although Alice started working in offices part-time after school in 1952, she enrolled in community college the fall of 1955 to expand her office skills to include bookkeeping. At the community dance late in 1955 Alice was introduced to John Bauer. Although Vi has always denied this was some sort of fix-up "chance meeting" the fact is clear that The Bauer family supplied most of the German sausage cooked in Bellflower. His folks were long-standing friends of James and Vi Bremer. Be that as it may, John and Alice quickly fell in love with each other. They dated for months during 1956. In fact, Alice skipped the Bremer summer trip to spend more time with John, they were that serious.

My parents, Alice and John Bauer, have always been coy on the subject of just when he discovered the extent of her wetting. Based on some hints from Granny Vi, I assume my Bauer grandmother knew Alice and Betsy wet. I do not make the leap that this information was passed on to John. Considering that my folks have always been sexually "frisky" as long as I could tell, my guess is Alice and John were sharing a bed months before their wedding.

Bummer that when they had their wedding in June 1957, video tape was only used in a handful of TV stations. It certainly was not ready for recording weddings. Even all the formal still photos are in B&W. That could be a good thing because they have not faded with age, very much like my folks themselves. A year ago Mom wore her wedding dress to their fiftieth anniversary wedding re-do. Our father, however, needed to buy a new, larger, tux! Poor Betsy at ten was a bit old to be a flower girl and too young to be a maid of honor. She did not look totally happy in the wedding pictures, but at least her dress did disguise her gauze diapers.

Good luck followed the wedding. An elderly couple who already owned their home when James and Vi moved next door decided to sell, long after their children were grown. The price was fair for 1957. John had always made good money in the meat packing business. His savings combined with Alice's made the home purchase possible. Again, both my folks are less than forthcoming about the dynamics of living next to her parents, without even a hedge separating the lawns.

Alice was really happy with her job as an office manager, possibly the youngest in the region. I strongly suspect John was also not in a hurry to have kids. They have a lot of pictures taken on trips late in 1957 and early in 1958, until our Mom started showing her pregnancy with my older sister Penny. Millions of times I have studied those pictures. Honestly I cannot be sure in which Mom was diapered. One trip they made during the pregnancy included Betsy. I am sure her diaper is bulging under her full skirt.

Betsy was had turned 12 by the time Penny was born. Things were going so well for Granpa James' tool and die business Granny Vi had retired from her old office job. She sort of supervised the ladies in the family office, leaving her a lot of time to look after Penny while Betsy was in school. Together they looked after Penny afternoons until Mom got home from her job. According to Granny Vi my young Aunt Betsy became expert changing diapers. Like the rest of us, Betsy reached puberty at 12 and wet her bed every night. Granny Vi taught her to pin on her own diapers and get herself ready for bed.

Our older brother Jack (officially John Junior) might have come along slightly ahead of schedule. Mom did manage to keep on working while pregnant, until the wife of her boss got worried Mom would deliver at the office. According to Betsy, it was hectic having Penny and Jack in cribs at the same time. Who could calculate the diaper usage in our family with one adult and two infants all trying to set wetting records. Let us not forget Granny Vi wet 24/7 then, as did Mom. Betsy managed to stay dry days for a few more years.

To the relief of our Maytag, both Penny and Jack were toilet trained long before I was born on 12 July 1964. Again, all the older folks are coy as to the reason. Betsy was nearly 17, about to start her senior year of high school when she moved into a spare room of our house. I am sure she was a major help taking good care of me. There were hints of some kind of disagreement between Betsy and her parents, possibly because Betsy has always loved to dance and go to parties. One time when I was a little kid I remember Betsy and I walking past her parents bedroom. She noticed a hairbrush and acted all flustered. Maybe, just maybe, Granny Vi re-thought her No Spanking Policy.

I remember in June 1968, before I turned 4 and after I was toilet trained, Penny and Betsy had normal beds and I had a smaller youth bed when we all shared a room. Those were good times because I was so close to Aunt Betsy it was like she was more a big sister to me than was Penny. Our younger brother Ed had been born in 1965, so I do not remember anything about his early years. Our third sister Ruth was born in 1967.

That had to be another hectic time for Betsy and Granny Vi. Ed did not really gain bladder control until he was in kindergarten in 1970. He managed to start kindergarten in thick trainers with Gerber vinyl pants, but was in diapers at night all that year. Ruth at least was dry day and night by 24 months. According to Granny Vi this was the youngest of her grand daughters. Possibly Ruth had a near normal bladder capacity.

During all that, our youngest sister, the ever delightful Missy was born a couple of weeks before I turned five in 1969. By then Aunt Betsy had her own room that was like an apartment connected to our house, with its own entrance. Not long after Missy was born, Mom announced she was not going to have another baby.

Before we get to discussing the future of my favorite Aunt Betsy, I would like to return to Memorial Day Weekend of 1968. By then the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire was successfully concluding its fourth season. As a result of good fortune and my father John's salesmanship, from the experimental Ren Faire in 1964 his firm supplied all the specialty meat, including classic English bangers, a mild sausage I still love. Granny Vi and Betsy had a booth selling Renaissance clothing, for which they recruited some of our neighbors.

Mom was not yet pregnant with Missy. Neither brother Ed nor sister Ruth were toilet trained. Our oldest sister Penny was recruited to help Mom with the youngsters. Probably my earliest clear memory was one of those days. There was a nice grassy area near the main stage at the old Agura Hills faire site. I was on my back on a blanket looking up at the sky. Like all decent faire brats that age I was dressed in a long cotton shift and sandals. This being not only a trip, but also a special event, despite my toilet training triumph, Mom had asked me to wear a diaper. I was on my back so she could change me. Looking up I could see the actress playing Queen Elizabeth I approaching Mom. The Queen was smiling. She said she was so pleased I would not need a dreaded privy. I was not in the least embarrassed.

On that same trip, maybe even later the same day, Mom led me to a more secluded place away from the public. We had a tent in the shade. Penny who was ten followed a bit reluctantly. Mom had a modern diaper bag, not the sack she had used when diapering me. She asked Penny to get ready to be changed. For some reason my sister hesitated. Just for a second I thought Mom was going to slap Penny, who must have sensed the tension and lifted her skirts as she took the classic diapering position. Mom had no more problem diapering my larger sister than she did me.

I do know Penny changed both Ed and Ruth while we were participating in Faire that year. She might even have changed me. Probably the year before I had been changed out in public on the grass. Mom missed a couple of weekends of Ren Faire in 1969 giving birth to Missy, who did appear closing weekend to the delight of all. That year Betsy split her time between Granny Vi's clothing booth and babysitting my siblings. This sort of upset Penny who had nearly reached puberty.

All of us celebrated Penny's twelth birthday in 1969 at Disneyland. Even Missy attended in her stroller, which doubled as transportation for masses of diapers and Gerber panties in many sizes. Father was the specialty meat account executive to Disneyland and our home was maybe a half hour north of it, so we were always frequent visitors. The staff was very fond of Penny, meaning it was a grand birthday party. She was wearing a fancy dress similar to Cinderella, under which her gauze diapers were not entirely disguised. Granny Vi and Betsy were there to change all the younger kids. Our older brother Jack was feeling so smug since he was exempt from wearing diapers.

Granny had the art of changing a bunch of grand kids down to a science using any of several ladies rooms provided by Disneyland. Even Penny, who by then normally changed herself, was way beyond embarrassment if seen by random ladies or girls. Because of her nice dress, on her birthday Granny changed her. Betsy was in the process of changing me using a folding changing station while Granny was changing Penny when a lady with two girls walked in. The lady tried to ignore us, but the girls were just of an age where they had to point and make remarks. It was in my own world of denial. That was one of the few times I saw Penny blush.

Had that lady and the girls lingered, they would have seen Granny and Betsy helping each other change. I seldom saw that, so I still remember it. Mom must also have needed to change her diaper, but she managed to do so in private.

Hi Square Duck,

Thanks for the informed reply. You state the case for the education of parents almost as if you are the designated spokesperson for The Simon Foundation for Continence and a few similar charities.

Unfortunately there still are medical professionals who have not devoted attention to their continuing education classes on contemporary toilet training nor the real medical issues of juvenile and adolescent bladder and bowel incontinence. What makes this so sad is over the past 25 years so much peer-reviewed research has been published in mainstream medical journals.

What is crystal clear is in the real world hardly any children wet just to gain attention, since that is not the form of attention children desire. Since children are impressionable and easily led to say what will please adults, it happens that a child with some medical problem causing wetting accidents will eventually say he or she wet deliberately. It is also very clear that hundreds of medical conditions can cause a loss of bladder and bowel control. Few of these are obvious and none easy to diagnose. When it can take a highly experienced and board certified urologist or gastroenterologist with special training in juvenile and adolescent medicine more than one exam and several tests to find a cause, try to understand that a busy family practioner, GP or pediatrician says "I cannot find anything wrong with this child."

The fact a doctor cannot find a cause for wetting does not mean the kid is lazy or naughty. What it means is that doctor is ignorant about incontinence. Unfortunately in these hard times, insurance companies are reluctant to fund complete medical work-ups for kids who wet. HMO discourage primary care physicians from making referrals to these expensive specialists.

So it still happens that when the kid is brought home after the doctors says nothing is wrong, even in 2008 the kids gets spanked and put back in diapers. Older kids who wet get enough physical abuse this is a concern in the child protective profession. Largely for this reason a feature movie called "REDEMPTION" is being made. This past January a preview was put on-line, showing a 12yo girl beaten until she would accept a diaper, and then infantilized when she resisted. Based on reaction to this preview, the script for the feature has been refined. As soon as financing is available a team of professionals, including the actresses who played the girl and her misguided mother, will make the feature. Trust me, all of you will be informed when this is ready.

The thing is we need to be careful to distinguish inappropriate and appropriate use of diapers with kids older than 4. Basic to parenting is understanding that toilet learing is a lifetime deal. It has to be expected that there will be setbacks. Thus a sensible parent never removes the waterproof pad from the growing child's bed. Best that the mattress start out waterproof. Then a modern waterproof sheet, such as those sold by Superior, be used. Now if the kid dribbles or floods in bed, only the sheets needs washing. No worries for the mattress.

Even modern doctors are divided on the risk of a wet bed to the body. I agree with those who say most of the human body is at risk from prolonged contact with urine. Generally the pubic region can deal with urine fairly well. So these doctors agree that if wetting happens two nights in a row, the best thing is to find a way to sweet-talk the kid into accepting some sort of protective garment.

Yes, GoodNites and UnderJams leak. This is why there are waterproof sheets. The advantage is the kid has seen TV commercials for GoodNites and can slide them down during the night when he or she does feel the need to use a toilet. What is vital is to get the child involved in solving the wetting situation.

Okay, so the first bag of GoodNites leaked, but often all the kid did was dribble for which these garments work well. If the wetting is heavy, then a logical step is to order cloth diaper panties, like thick trainers with a waterproof outer layer. Some just pull-on and others have Velcro tabs kids older than five can learn to use. In fact some kids can learn to put on their own disposable diapers, but these tend to be larger than can wear a Size 7 Pampers Cruiser, which is designed as a day not bed diaper. There are good reasons why adult disposables have more than one tab per side. Kids find they can set the middle tabs good enough, perfect the leg and waist tabs, then go back and snug the hip tabs. What informed sensible parents are trying to avoid with older kids is any sort of forcing the kid back to diapers and then doing much of the diapering.

A lot of experts in the continence education professions believe when the kid takes responsibility for buying and changing his or her diapers, they regain control a lot faster! If the child is tall enough, why not let the wetter wash and dry the sheets?

Maybe you have sensed that my diaper-friendly family was using these concepts decades before they became accepted parenting. Generally we did grow up sane, assuming none of us consider use of AB as a coping strategy weird!

Angela

Hi Angela!

{{{{{{{{{huggies!!!}}}}}

Thank you for posting this! Very neat and informative! Its good to see (read) that there are people who can handle situations such as this and survive and thrive. I can imagine being incontinent is hard enough for the individual to contend with, but being a parent having to deal with an incontinent child can be extremely difficult. Most would think the child is being lazy or just stubborn and doesn't want to co-operate with potty training etc (this assumption comes in a lot with encopretic kids) , when in fact its not their fault that their bodies just don't work right :(

Also the life of that subject child becomes difficult if not virtually impossible in some instances, leading to anger and frustration and other emotional hurts.

This shows that incontinence ISN'T a crime, nor is wearing diapers. If anything its another routine to get used to and something to work WITH and not ON.

I like how your family simply accepted the situation, )given thier known history) and made the best of it and carried on...must be that sturdy Midwest character in your blood ;)

Personally I have big problems when parents raise a fit about kids having accidents or who are "difficult' to potty train or who are bed wetters. I feel its not the kids who are being lazy, but the parents :P simply because they just don't want to deal with the clean up anymore or (heaven forbid) have to deal with the "embarrassment" :blush: of having a child who can't control their bodily functions.

Nice to see how both you and your family deal with the whole situation, its just part of your life and nothing more.

The whole western social attitude of dealing with bodily functions is rather absurd and childish. Many people in the USA are so put off (IE grossed out) by this whole concept its really sad. They can deal with a cats litter box or picking up after a dog, but heaven forbid an older child or an adult should still have to wear diapers .......GAD. :o

Anyways, your post is a wonderful and positive note to many others that it's OK, diapers aren't anything more than underwear and being incontinent isn't a crime against society. It is what it is and nothing more, society just needs to grow up......sheesh. :P

Thank you for illustrating that children can be loved and grow up and be normal people and contribute to society successfully regardless of what underwear they wear or what they do in them.

qwack

Before we return to my diaper-friendly family experiences, I want to thank members who have encouraged me in private messages and reply to this topic:

Our moderator Repaid1 has been a good friend a long time. Minutes ago I got slightly off topic responding to the thoughtful post by Square Duck. Snacks99 and Baby Eddie have also been very kind.

When I started my last installment, I promised to tell about my favorite Aunt Betsy, who turned 22 in 1969. Well, I am going to delay Betsy's life history since I did get some private questions from members who asked to not be identified, wanting more details of my younger brother Ed, so let me share about him.

As I said earlier, although our older brother Jack apparently had a larger-than-average bladder and he never had a wetting accident that I know about, Little Ed was entirely different. These days we would refer to Ed's situation as "delayed toilet-learning" meaning Ed was not dry longer than 30 minutes until he was nearly 5 years old. He wet so much and could not tell anyone he needed to go potty Mom and Granny only would try Ed in trainers a few days at a time. Clearly being wet or messy did not bother Ed. He was born in December 1965, making him 16 months younger than me. Sometimes December kids start school early, but my folks felt no shame in delaying Ed's start of kindergarten until he was approaching six. That summer of 1971 Ed finally did figure out how to slide trainers and his Gerber vinyl pants out of the way to sit on a toilet. With these skills he was allowed to enter kindergarten.

Granny was our primary babysitter after school. Although Ed would often ask for a pinned diaper the second he got home, Granny usually would simply put him in a dry trainers for a couple of hours, the idea being to speed up his toilet learning. Still before 5PM someone would pin a diaper on Ed and he would be changed into a dry diaper for bed.

At home Mom did not ask the rest of us to wear diapers just in case even if we were wearing party clothing and adults guests were expected. We had three bathrooms and we knew how to use a toilet.

Still this is a diaper-friendly family. As recently as 1991 Mom insisted she only found out about adult baies and infantilism when Missy and I broke the news to he we were using AB as a coping strategy. Yet it is interesting that in our home stacks of diapers and a selection of Gerber vinyl pants were kept: near Ed's bed in the room he shared with Jack; in the master bedroom for use by Mom; in the bedroom my sisters shared with me; on a shelf in the closet near the family room. Starting when Aunt Betsy lived with us, perhaps even earlier, it was tradition that any of us who asked would be diapered simply because we wanted to play in a diaper. Our oldest sister Penny was almost 9 when my memory became clear. When her school was out for summer in 1968 and Ren Faire was over I distinctly remember Penny asking Granny or Betsy for a diaper so she could play with some of her gal pals. Now I assume Penny wanted to play baby in a game of family. A few days later Penny asked for another diaper and also asked if one of her friends could be diapered. This was a gal who often played at our house and might have been slightly older than Penny. As far as I know nobody phoned her mother for permission. Maybe that had happened before I would notice.

Perhaps it was a week later that Penny invited me to play with her gaggle of gal pals. None were diapered. Penny asked me to play the baby, which was so not my trip then. Sure, when Mom asked I never resisted or resented being diapered, but I also did not think I was a baby just because I was in a diaper. Still, I was and am fond of Penny, so I agreed. Penny had sometimes changed our sister Ruth who still was an infant. I was bigger, but Penny had no trouble pinning on my diapers and pulling up my Gerber panties. Clearly we all missed out since none of the girls offered me a pacifier or baby bottle. I think now this was a lack, but possible better for my teeth.

That summer Ed was 30 months without any hint he was ready for toilet training. Eventually Penny was allowed to change Ed, which was less fun that changing me, since Ed messed his diapers more than once a day. As the summer wore on Ed usually played the baby for the older gals, but sometimes Penny and a friend also wore diapers without covering them, it being that hot.

The fall of 1968 was when I started kindergarten, making me the youngest in my class. I had good enough day control. Mom must have discussed my small bladder with my teacher since I always had permission to leave the room for the potty. My kindergarten ended at 1PM. Granny would be there to walk me home, pushing Ed and Ruth in a double stroller. Frequently there would be a guest baby boy arriving at our house shortly after we returned. Ed and that boy were diapered and would play together. I was supposed to keep an eye on them. As needed Granny would change them. Once Penny got home, she took over babysitting the boys and Ruth.

By that Halloween I had become good friends with two of the gals in my class, both of whom were already 5. I had been allowed to play at each of their houses, since Mom knew their families from church. The fact of all the diapers did not stop me from inviting them to play at our house after school. Sure they saw Granny changing the babies and the diapers. Neither asked about my bed. You needed to feel it to detect my waterproof sheet, which did not show while the bed was neatly made-up. One day my friends were over when Penny came home from school with 2 of the summer gals. After Penny changed all three of the babies, one of her friends asked for a diaper. Penny did not call out for Granny and diapered her pal. I think that shocked my friends.

The following Saturday I started to feel sick long before dawn. I got out of bed and asked Mom for a diaper, which she pinned on me. I woke up only slightly damp, which felt good, so I did not ask anyone to remove my diaper before I ate breakfast. That caused me to wet, and since I was diapered, I did not worry about a toilet. Much to my surprise one of my friends came over to play, while I was still wearing a by now really soaked and sagging gauze diaper under my long T-shirt. Perhaps I should have been embarrassed, but I was not. My friend was fascinated, especially when Mom removed the diaper, cleaned me and suggested I put on panties and jeans to play. Before lunch my pal asked Mom for a diaper. Mom was busy so Penny pin that girl into a diaper. She needed the next size larger panties than I wore as I remember.

Nothing was said about this at school, but following the winter vacation several more girls from my kindergarten asked to play at our house. One of those girls brought her sister who was in second grade. Years later Mom confirmed that in every case she had discussed diapers with the mothers of all these kids, but at the time I just thought all kids going to play would be diapered in the afternoon. Thus I also would routinely ask for a diaper when my friends were over. Once it got warm during the Spring of 1969 I was invited to my first sleep-over. Mom got me a rubber sheet and packed a couple of gauze diaper changes in my bag. She assured me the host mother was prepared to diaper me if I needed one.

To my delight that first time the mother asked my friend and myself if we wanted a bed diaper. I was put in one of my own, but my friend's mother brought a fresh gauze diaper set for her daughter. While we were supposed to be sleeping my friend said her mother had given in and bought a dozen Curity diapers for special occasions.

Ed turned 4 in December 1969, without showing signs he wanted to be toilet trained. He was in a pioneer toddler day class, sort of a pre-preschool. The teachers changed him and many of those kids. He was already back home when I returned from first grade, Often Ed was playing with his best friend Joel. Neither boy was toilet trained, but at our home for convenience rarely were their Gerber pants covered with additional clothing. Ed and Joel played together as if diapers were ordinary clothing.

hi Angela,

I love hearing about your family history. My Mom tells stories about how she

and some of her brothers and sisters wet the bed into their teens. Diapers

were also matter of fact at our house - not a punishment but not hidden at all

either. Mine were on my dresser, on the family wash-line and everyone knew

about them.

*huggies* baby eddie

Guest dllightning

It's a good story. Maybe cause its real?

good history and understanding - all of us parents need to digest this in some form or another. I don't think this thread would be good in public though, just maybe Angela's story along with the commentary would be good though. Maybe publish this- "Diapers are not the Devil: Sound advice and insight into the diapering of infants, toddlers, and children..."

Hi Everyone, during the day today I got several private messages with more questions about my younger brother Ed and his friend Joel. What this means is another postponement of discussing Aunt Betsy.

Both Ed and Joel had to be out of regular cloth diapers before they could start kindergarten. Joel's folks set the Fall of 1971 as his target, so our parents tried to get Ed ready. The summer of 1971 was going to be intense for toilet training. Our little sister Missy was going to turn 2 then. If she wanted trainers, Mom was okay, but was not going to rush Missy.

By the fall of 1970 Ed and Joel were mature enough they could play at either home. Since Joel had no siblings frequently Ed went over there. Mom was hoping Joel would be a positive influence on Ed, and the reverse was true. Joel's mother Virginia was impressed by the diaper-friendly attitude of our family. Only recently did Ed admit that Virginia was far from impressed by the No-Spanking policy in our family. She believed in discipline for Joel. Fairly soon this was rubbing off on Ed. As I remember her Virginia was slender and very pretty, with green eyes and flaming red hair.

What Ed confessed to Missy and me is that he had a major crush on Virginia. She provided snacks and had the time to change diapers very slowly and gently. Honestly in our family that was almost a production-line event. People needing a diaper were expected to take turns quietly and cooperate without fuss. According to Ed being changed by Virginia was an adventure. Joel's father, who I only met a couple of times, must have had a really good job that kept him traveling. Virginia was one of the few mothers in our community without a day job.

Although the plan was to speed toilet training, Virginia only asked the boys to wear trainers without Gerber pants a couple of hours at a time. They were encouraged to tell her when they needed to use a potty, but when they were distracted playing and wet, she gave in, changing them to the diapers each boy preferred. Maybe a more intense toilet training would have resulted in earlier dry pants, but at what cost psychologically?

Virginia did not consider wetting as misbehavior, but according to Ed, she was strict about most things. The first day Ed played there Virginia spanked Joel for back talk. The next time Joel was spanked for being noisy. Those were over the lap on the bare bottom, causing Virginia to place a towel to protect her clothing from wetting. The third time Ed was playing there Virginia spanked both the boys for running inside. For sure that was the first time Ed got spanked. He still has never discussed any of this with our Mom. Originally Ed kept the spankings secret because he did not want Mom to get strict ideas. Of course it is entirely possible Mom knew all about Virginia's methods, using her as a work-around Granny Vi's ideas.

A month of so after Ed started playing with Joel, Virginia increased the discipline by introducing a hairbrush. Those boys were slightly tall for their age, but their faces were still immature. Often they looked so innocent. Personally I do not think a hairbrush was necessary on such young boys.

Once that final toilet-training push started the minute pre-school ended in June 1971, even with Virginia day diapers for Ed and Joel were eliminated. They were scolded if they did not tell her when they needed to potty. They did know how to lower their trainers, which were only covered with Gerber pants if there were shorts or jeans being worn. Since the trainers dripped, the boys were only allowed to play outside and on the stain-resistant flooring. If Virginia caught them playing in trainers on rugs or carpet, she used her hairbrush until the naughty boys were crying in remorse.

Still, Ed played with Joel up to our move to Iowa in 1972 and then after we returned home in 1973. They were still best buddies in 1981 when I moved to Upstate New York to start pre-law university. Ed was 15 then. I should have been more shocked when he told us that at this age Virginia was allowing the boys to play after school while diapered. At twelve Ed had learned to pin on his own gauze diapers if he felt he might wet his bed, but he admitted he loved being diapered by Virginia long after he reached puberty. He was not sure if Joel simply went along, since Joel never really stopped bedwetting. Ed does not think Joel had learned to change his own diapers. Virginia continued spanking both the boys bare bottom with the hairbrush. At 15 was this appropriate?

The strange thing is Ed never got into AB. He stopped bedwetting at 16. Joel, Virginia and her husband moved away. I have no idea if Joel is into AB.

At last, I am getting back to my favorite Aunt Betsy, especially since I received some private messages about her.

Although Granny Vi always spoke against spanking, in our family it is accepted as fact that when Betsy was 16 or 17 she got more than a little boy crazy, talking back and missing curfew. Betsy has never denied that at least once Granny Vi spanked her bare bottom with a hairbrush. Shortly after the last spanking Betsy moved to our house. Conveniently our house was next door to Grand Pa James and Granny Vi.

Aunt Betsy graduated from high school in 1965, where she had taken as many office practice classes as possible. Like Granny Vi had done for her daughter Alice (my Mom) Betsy was taught to type accurately and fast. She also was expert at Pittman-Gregg shorthand before she reached high school. Her senior year Betsy was taking most of the dictation from her principal, because she was more accurate than his paid secretary. After high school Betsy attended 2 years of community college, but also had a job in an office. In those days the legal drinking age in California was 18. My guess is before that Betsy had a fake ID.

Somehow between her classes, her job and a few bars, my adorable Aunt Betsy met a lot of men. My Mom is more liberal than Granny Vi but did not want Betsy having men sleeping in her room. Friends of our family owned an apartment house. Betsy moved there in 1969, although she did what she could to help Mom with us kids after Missy was born. Eventually Betsy dated a precision machinist named Willard Turpin, who was 3 years her senior. Grand Pa James (the tool and die maker) really liked Willard.

It sort of surprises me that just because the family approved of him, for spite Aunt Betsy fell in love with Willard. In August 1970 Aunt Betsy married Willard. That was a big event, since he has an extensive family. My older sister Penny was a maid of honor. I was not old enough for that and too old to be a flower girl, who was my slightly younger sister Ruth. I sat with our parents to care for Missy and Ed.

There were many diapers worn at the wedding: Granny Vi; Mom Alice; Bride Aunt Betsy; Penny; me; Ed; Ruth; Missy. Perhaps there were others, friends Betsy made at the doctor's office.

Much to the surprise (well maybe not!) in February 1971 Aunt Betsy gave birth to Carole Turpin. Willard was one of the first experts at computer programming machine tools, so he made good money. Days before Carole was born the Turpins bought the house across the street from us. Like Mom, Aunt Betsy adopted a diaper-friendly policy, not rushing Carole. Their son Matthew was born in April 1973 and their younger son Nathan was born in late 1976.

Very much like us, Carole had a tiny bladder. She also was well over 3 when she was toilet trained during the day and 4 before she was dry at night most evenings. Penny and some older gals from the community babysat for the Turpins. It was a chore because Matthew had such delayed toilet-learning. He was still in diapers at age 6, so he had to go to a school for special needs kids until second grade, only so a teacher's aide could change Matthew's diapers. Otherwise he was very smart and so well behaved. Nathan also had delayed toilet-learning but at least could get by in trainers for kindergarten at age 5 and was dry enough for first grade at 6. Both the boys still were diapered for bed and Carole wore bed diapers about half the time.

Family birthday parties needed exceptional organization, just to have a room devoted to changing so many wet and messy diapers. Since our grandparents had a large spare room upstairs, most family functions were held there. Although I generally was not used as a babysitter, at family parties I often changed the tollders and younger children, while Penny handled the infants and babies.

Once Nathan was born a couple of summers our family took a vacation at the same place as the Turpins. Besides a suburban we had a pick-up with a low shell in the bed. This was very convenient to hold stacks of diapers. The route and destination was selected based on location of coin laundries. Granny, Mom and Aunt Betsy actually had maps with washing machines indicated. Using CB radios my father John, Mom and Willard coordinated meal and gas stops. That must have amused the others on CB.

Usually the summer trips were to Yosemite National Park, meaning we would drive north from the Los Angeles area on Highway 99 through Fresno. Just south of there there was a marvelous family restaurant which had a very large ladies room. We sort of took that over while eating there.

To me Carole was never much of a problem, at least compared to my sister Ruth. Granny Vi always made excuses for Carole. Apparently Aunt Betsy saw signs of rebellion in her daughter, as if it takes one to know one. Only my last few months at home, starting in March 1981 did I see in person that sweet Betsy believed the only way to control Carole was over the lap on the bare bottom. In 1979 Aunt Betsy apparently had increased the sting of spanking by using a hairbrush similar to the one used on herself by Granny years before. The first time I saw a spanking it was Carole getting it with the hairbrush until she was bawling. Then Betsy spanked Matthew, but not as intensely.

As soon as I reached 14 in 1978, I was legally allowed to work after school or Saturdays in a law office. Thus I was never asked to do regular babysitting for Aunt Betsy. By early 1981 Penny was Betsy's primary babysitter. Matthew was aproaching age 9, but still needed diapers from after school until the next morning. He was not considered responsible enough to pin on his own gauze diapers. In our family even girls who had been diapering others for years were not taught to pin on their own until they reached puberty. Betsy tried to be sensitive to Matthew's feelings, so she did her best to only hire the most mature young women. Carole and Nathan could care less.

On a Friday in early August 1981, while I was getting ready to move to a university dorm in Upstate New York, Aunt Betsy came over in a panic. Willard was taking her to a party. Penny was on a trip and all her back-up older babysitters were booked. Matthew was reluctant but was willing to accept me as the babysitter since I was the oldest available gal around. Matthew had rejected the concept of Ruth changing him, although she was very experienced.

When I walked across the street minutes before Willard and Betsy left, Matthew and Nathan already were in their afternoon summer diapers. Carole was acting very smug and superior since she was wearing big girl panties. Feeding them was more complicated than I thought it would be, since Carole did not behave as well as when her mother was around. I had permission to spank but never considered doing so despite the back-talk from Carole. She told me she was allowed to bathe herself, so I let her do that.

Clearly young Nathan could not be allowed alone in a bathtub. Matthew had just turned 9. I trusted him, so when he said his mother let him take a bath with Nathan, to me that was a good idea, and Carole did not say anything. Once the boys were out of the tub and dry, my moment of truth came. I had never pinned a diaper on a boy. Nathan was no problem, increasing my confidence. Matthew was large for his age, so I used a third Curity and got it folded. He also cooperated, getting into position. I pulled his left side snug, then pulled the right side tight. The diaper was not perfectly symetrical, but close enough. I managed to get the second diaper pin in place without jabbing Matthew. As I had done with Nathan I pulled up the Gerber panties and made sure the diaper was completely inside before I tucked the excess above the top of the diaper inside. Changing the boys was not as weird as I assumed it would be.

My instructions from Aunt Betsy was that Carole needed a double diaper for the night. The girl gave me attitude, since her brothers already were in their beds. Carole was tall for her age and robust. I told her at she had 5 seconds to get in position on the diaper set I had spread on the changing table or I would spank her. There was some glaring from her, but as my count reached "FOUR!" she gave in. I put the hairbrush back on the counter of the bureau and pinned on Carole's diaper without additional fuss. Once she was neatly in her Gerbers panties I tucked her into her bed in her own room. She started to whine her bedtime was later. I knew that was a lie, so I gave her a stern look. Carole did not try to get out of bed while I was in the house. When Willard and Betsy came home I reported all the kids behaved well. Aunt Betsy gave me an astonished look, asking if that included Carole. I fibber that Carole was a good girl.

By the time Aunt Betsy learned the truth I was living in the dorm 3,000 miles away from her. When I moved back to the Los Angeles area in 1989, Carole was 18. Betsy must have forgotten. In our extended family my youngest sister Missy lost her day bladder control at 15, so needed diapers for school, by which time Attends were available. Carole lost her day control at 17, so spent her senior year of high school in Attends needing a lunch-time change.

Carole did not immediately do well in college, but eventually found her way as a responsibe adult. I am so proud of Matthew, because he did so well all through school. He won a full-ride scholarship to pre-law and law school. For many years he has owned a small law firm in Nevada. When he was 25 he visited Missy and myself to tell us how much he enjoys relaxing as an AB. Circa 2000 Matthew (under a screen name) was a member of DPF, but after that he stopped communicating with strangers about his AB fantasies. He has been happily married to an understanding woman since 2003. She asked that I not mention her name, but allowed me to say she plays Mommy to Matt most evenings. They have an adult changing table and a huge highchair. Nathan no longer wets and has never talked about AB.

Thank you Kvrtinka and ToddMdl, as well as the folks who wrote me privately.

Although the later half of Saturday and all day today has been hectic in my family, when I get the chance tomorrow I will continue discussing several road trips as my siblings were growing. In the era before disposables a Mom and five kids in diapers made a huge amount of laundry daily!

In these accounts I have done my best to write about the events as accurate as possible. A handful of people insisted I use a fictitious name. Most are the actual names.

Angela

Hi Angela. I remember you from my DPF days.

I have a great love for attorneys. People bash lawyers all the time but when I am in trouble, the first person I want to see is my doctor or my attorney.

I had a stroke when I was 19. I have used diapers at night since I was 19.

My life has had its ups and downs but I never let the diapers get in the way.

I am in my second marriage and I have an understanding wife.

I just wish my parents had made diapers not such a taboo thing.

Thanks for your story.

RDB

Thank you Kvrtinka and ToddMdl, as well as the folks who wrote me privately.

Although the later half of Saturday and all day today has been hectic in my family, when I get the chance tomorrow I will continue discussing several road trips as my siblings were growing. In the era before disposables a Mom and five kids in diapers made a huge amount of laundry daily!

In these accounts I have done my best to write about the events as accurate as possible. A handful of people insisted I use a fictitious name. Most are the actual names.

Angela

Hi Square Duck and Red Neck, plus those who contact me privately.

Progress is being made on production of the feature movie REDEMPTION. As soon as more details are available I will start a topic about that.

Meanwhile, now that the marriage of Aunt Betsy to Uncle Willard Turpin, and the experiences of some of their children has been covered, let us return to the Summer of 1972.

That was the year when Missy turned 3. As usual my immediate family took a vacation trip to Yosemite National Park. Today none of us remembers exactly when the trip took place relative to Missy being toilet trained. Not that it would matter, since under Mom's policy, all four of us girls, plus our brother Ed, were diapered along with Mom. Only our father and big brother Jack were wearing mundane undies.

Back then Mom would not even consider disposables, although we all had seen commercials for Pampers on TV. As usual for the trip we packed more than one laundry bag with clean gauze diapers, separated into a smaller bag in which 2 of the 21x40" Curity flat gauze diapers were stiched into 40" squares for the benefit of Mom and our older sister Penny. The rest of us wore the normal Curity diapers, always held with pins and covered with Gerber vinyl panties in various sizes, which traveled in a cardboard carton.

Our time in a rented cabin near the national park was delightful. We even had a flush toilet and electricity, so it was hardly camping. The days we stayed near the cabin only Mom and Missy needed diapers. Each afternoon our father would drive to a coin laundry with a couple of bags of wet diapers. Once he returned home all the rest of us would help fold those neatly. Since our big sister Penny had already reached puberty the previous year and wet at night, she pinned herself into a diaper for bed, as did Mom. The couple of times we all made the day trip into the park, of course those who had tiny bladders were diapered. I was in charge of diapering my slightly younger sister Ruth. Mom took charge of Ed and Penny diapered Missy and me.

None of us were embarrassed. All this was routine. I could well have still assumed all the other kids we saw around the park and in restaurants were diapered.

Eventually we were scheduled to leave for home the following dawn, so most of our stuff was packed in the surburban. I had been sleeping for a spell when I woke up feeling the need to pee in the toilet like a responsible big girl. As I passed Missy the smell almost knocked me over. Our baby sister sure had made a major runny "stinky" in her gauze diaper, the odor hardly contained by her Gerber panties.

I found Mom and woke her to say what Missy was doing. That was before disposables wipes were in stores, so it was a big deal for Mom to clean Missy after removing the messy diaper and panties. I was asked to hold onto the diaper and rinse it well in the toilet, then rinse the panties after I had flushed the toilet. I thought I would up-chuck. That could explain why in the years since 1972 I have never included messing in my AB fantasy.

Twice more before dawn Missy made runny poop. Lucky it was a warmish night because we had to open all the windows to hold down the stink. Somehow Dad managed to sleep through all that. Penny and Mom took turns trying to comfort Missy, while I did my best to rinse the diapers and panties. At some point Mom noticed that she had only packed 5 of Missy's tiny panties, since if she only wet Mom did not always use a fresh pair each change. Despite the warm night Mom turned on the cabin heater so Missy rinsed panties would dry enough to be re-used.

With dawn Dad got up and was ready to start driving, expecting we would have breakfast at a favorite restaurant almost into Fresno. Dad was not entirely thrilled that we had done some unpacking to take care of Missy, who clearly was not feeling well.

When on the closeline in the dark after I had rinsed them, the wet diapers smelled okay, but in the car, the odor returned. Even our father who worked in a meat packing plant was having trouble with the smell. Mom bundled Missy in a lot of clothing so we could open all the windows. As we neared the restaurant, Mom announced the only practical thing to do was buy Missy a box of Pampers. Although I did not entirely comprehend the importance of this choice, Penny sure did. Years of family heritage and Mom's rants against disposable diapers was in turn-around.

As we drove we passed a couple of stores, which were closed tight. Finally we did reach the restaurant. Mom asked where we could find a market or drug store. The answer was none would open until 9am, a couple of hours wait. In the interest of killing time we let breakfast drag on and on.

That is, until Missy filled her diaper again. Mom rushed her outside as the other patron reacted. Carrying damp rags, Penny ran back and forth from the restroom to the bench outside Mom was using as Missy's changing table. There was a small park ablock away. Mom decided to carry Missy there. Dad paid the bill and drove the car to that park, while most of us walked. From there we could see a market that was hardly super. Penny was given some money and was instructed to walk to the market to wait for it to open and then buy a box of Pampers. I thought all that was exciting and figured the store would smell better than Missy, so I walked with Penny.

Without a bench or even a crate on which to sit, it was a long wait. Eventually I had to use my own diaper. The funny thing is although my bladder was considered small, I had up to then hardly ever actually wet one of those just-in-case diapers. I asked Penny to come with me to the restaurant before I wet myself, but she did not want to miss the store opening. Penny told me to just wet my diaper, that was why I was wearing it. Not long after I wet, I could see Penny with an "Oh My!" expression. Later she blushed while admitting she also had to wet her diaper.

The store did open. Penny asked where she could find Pampers. The owner showed us. There was a choice of sizes. I do not remember the TV commercials mentioning different sizes. The owner was a man and he admitted he knew nothing about Pampers, but when Penny explained, he phoned his wife. She must have said to sell us the largest available since Missy was larger than the average 3yo toddler.

Together we ran across the street to the park bench. Then it got really weird. Mom and Penny read the Pampers instructions which they did not entirely understand. Honestly it took the team of Mom and Penny several attempts before they got a Pampers to stay in place and cover Missy's bottom. This cut into the supply, so before we drove away Dad made a U-turn. Penny purchased a second box of Pampers and a tube of White's A&D.

During the drive down good old Highway 99, when Missy started to poop, Dad would look for a place where he could pull off the road, even if it was not an official rest area. I confess that more than once Mom littered with the soilded Pampers when no trach container was handy. This was very wrong and naughty, I am sure, but consider the stench in the car, it was the only thing to do.

We were into the second box of Pampers when we reached home!

The remaining Pampers did not go to waste. By the next time Missy got sick, she had outgrown the Pampers, which were the largest then available even around Los Angeles. By Thanksgiving 1972 Aunt Betsy's daugher Cousin Carole was nearing 2. Carole was not ready for toilet training. Shortly before the meal at Granny Vi's home, Carole got a case of the runny poopies. Mom walked next door to our house and returned with the Pampers that were a fine fit on Carole. The fact Betsy did not ask for instructions and got the fit perfect the first time has always made Penny and me suspicious that without telling us, Aunt Betsy had sometime bought Pampers.

Nine years later, when Mom took me to a store to buy my first bag of Attends, she reminded me about that emergency Pampers purchase near Fresno. She also admitted her suspicions that Betsy was a secret Pampers fan!

Yet again, many thanks to the members who have sent me private messages of support.

For me, the years between the Fresno trip, memorable to me because of the Pampers shopping, and 1976 when I turned 12 and reached puberty, as a family we always took one Summer trip that lasted over a week. Each Spring Granny Vi had her booth at Southern (CA) Renaissance Pleasure Faire which was at the Paramount Ranch in Agoura Hills. Even with the 101 Freeway complete as far as Santa Barbara, the drive from our Bellflower home to Faire site was an hour and a half. Normally our parents would load most of our supplies into the trusted family Suburban Friday afternoon. As soon as Mom fed us an early supper, we would be diapered for the drive once rush hour traffic slacked off. Granny Vi would have driven up earlier, so when we arrived the tent was already for us in the Participants/Vendor campsite out of view behind a hill from the patrons. Our father and older brother Jack had to stay home Friday night, so before dawn Saturday they could drive to the meat packing plant to pick up a refrigerator truck loaded with freshly cut meats and freshly made sausage which would be cooked on site and sold by the food vendors. None of that meat was frozen.

We would not see Dan and Jack until they had not only hidden the refrigerator truck behind the main food court, they also had to keep track as each food vendor took custody of the morning meat supply.

Mom and Penny would help Granny in her booth. That left me to do my best as leader of the younger kids. Faire had a place which entertained the paying Faire Guests while at the same time serving as day care for us Faire Brats. Some days there were nearly 100 of us. It was no fantasy on my part that every Faire Brat was diapered. So were many of the teen and adult women participants. Getting enough of Ren Faire costume out of the way to sit in a privy (Faire slang for Porta-Potty) was very difficult. By noon on a good day so many folks had deposited used beer and ale in the privies they were nasty. Sure, in the camp site there were privies just for Participants, but those were a long walk. Besides so many of the Participant men swilled so much beer even those private privies were nasty until the pumper truck did its magic a half hour after the guests were off the grounds.

In 1974 I was allowed to play a child lady-in-waiting to the Royal Court. While it was interesting during rehearsals in modern mundane clothing, eventually I had to spend the day wearing noble period black velvet over my cotton shift and under skirts. Early in the season, in April the velvet was warm and comforting. Then came mid-May to end of Faire the weekend after Memorial Day when by afternoon it was often 90 in such shade as could be found. Somehow I managed to not faint.

One of those mornings, a woman dressed as the wife of a merchant approached me while I was helping a noble lady. This woman called me by my Faire name and apparently recognized me although I knew her not. While I tried to do my duty I also tried to remember who this could be. Her voice was in some ways familiar. When the guests were close she called herself by a Faire name. Only after no guests were near did she manage to tell me she was the actress who played Queen Elizabeth I later. She informed me I must not drop her a curtsey because my role as noble while at that moment she was playing an ordinary citizen.

Before lunch out in public, where I helped the nobles and thus could not eat, we were given a snack backstage. Now the Queen was wearing modern bloomers and a halter top. She called me over to say how well she remembered seeing Mom change my diaper when I was so very young. Then she told me that for all the years she had played Queen before getting dressed she put on a diaper herself. Once in her heavy Queen dress she did not even fit in the special Cast Only privies. After the final day that year she asked me if I wanted to work my way up to be one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting.

This is one of the biggest deal for dedicated female Faire Participants. I did not want to be rude, but that day it was over 90 at 6pm. I knew the Royal Court wore even more velvet. So as politely as possible I admitted I would prefer to just play a peasant serving girl in thin cotton in the future.

A couple of years later my sister Ruth took over my noble dress and did work her way up to the Noble Court. Meanwhile I had much more fun as a peasant Faire Urchin.

By my last Faire season in 1981 as I approached 17 I noticed in the Participant/Vendor trash cans an increasing number of adult disposables were tossed. Probably we were the only extended family still wearing cloth diapers.

That was a very interesting read, and I too thank you for posting it. I've seen some articles recently that keeping children in diapers longer and letting them choose when they want to be potty trained is considered "less stressful." I've also read recently that children who breast feed into their pre-pubescent years tend to have higher IQ scores.

Hi Everybody,

Yes, back at Agoura a certain percentage of Faire Participants, Cast and Vendors did wear diapers. Stall and Both owners without a crew did not want to leave for fear of losing a sale or something being stolen. Cast members did not want to risk a privy run in the middle of a performance. Other Participants just wanted to avoid the privies. This hardly means a significant percentage were into diapers.

My own Faire regular participation ended after the 1978 Season. I turned 14 that July so I could get a California work permit which allowed me to work in a law office on Saturdays. There was nobody to drive me out to Faire just for Sundays. I did go for the 3 days of Memorial Day Weekend until 1981. Then I moved to Upstate New York for pre-law university.

Southern Faire moved to Glen Helen Regional Park in Devore, where the I 15 and I 215 Freeways meet in San Bernadino for the 1989 Season. I missed that year because I was still living on the East Coast. I did manage to attend Opening Day of Faire in Devore in 1990.

A few years ago in January very heavy rains washed away the parking lot shared by Faire in Devore. That was when Faire moved to its current site in the Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area in Irwindale, near the junction of the I 210 and I 605 Freeways. The downside to this move into Los Angeles County is that Faire must close before the Memorial Day Weekend, so it starts earlier in April. The upside of the move is that the land is fairly flat, making it easier to move around. This site is closer to the large populations of Los Angeles and Orange Counties, while still within range of most Participants from Riverside and San Bernadino Counties.

My husband Don and I attend Opening Saturday. Sometimes we get back for another Faire Day, but that depends on our schedule. We remain long-time members of Friends of Faire. Granny Vi gave up her booth after the 1992 Faire in Devore. Aunt Betsy and Uncle Willard moved away, as had some of my siblings. Missy had married John and was busy with her career as a movie costume designer. Although my father's meat packing company still provides Faire with the specialty sausage, after the 1977 Season Dad became the local plant manager. He needed to assign another salesman to the Ren Faire account. Mom and Dad as well as Granny still are members of Friends of Faire, so they all attend Faire a few times each Season.

These days there are Renaissance-theme Faires all over. All are diaper-friendly. Remember back in Renaissance times a jutting backside was considered desirable. Women added a "bum roll" uner the back of their dresses to enhance this look. Many of us found a thick diaper worked even better. For the guys it is easy to tailor noble costumes to include a disposable. Peasant men wear baggy trousers and a long flowing shirt so even when bending over the top of the diaper is covered.

Happy Nappy Weekend, Everyone

Many of you have sent me PM with questions. Maybe it would be more fun if you asked as a post so everyone could see, but be comfy for yourselves.

Although the information is not yet on a public Renaissance Pleasure Faire website, today I had an e-mail from they telling all Friends of Southern (CA) Faire the opening will be at 10 of the morning clock on Saturday the Fourth of May. Closing will be around dusk on Sunday the Seventeenth of May, 2009. As we get closer to opening weekend I will share websites for discount tickets. The less you spend on tickets, the more you can spend on food, drink and goodies inside. Be sure to bring diapers for your time at Faire to avoid the dreaded Privies, which will be full by High Noon anyway!

There have been questions about how often any of us pooped when wearing just-in-case diapers. I think we can agree Missy was not yet officially toilet-trained so her runny poop does not count.

My memory, confirmed by Mom, Aunt Betsy and my older sister Penny is that hardly ever did any of us poop a diaper on trips. As youngsters we all had normal, even above average, bowel control. Almost always we could hold back poop until the next restaurant or gas stop, which normally happened every 2-3 hours. Mom and Dad would alternate driving, but sometimes they pulled off the road away from toilets.

My experience has been that unless a person is drinking formula or a substitute while diapered constipation is more a problem than runny or frequent poop. Mom breast fed all of us. I am told about myself and my older siblings. I saw this breast feeding with my younger sisters Ruth and Missy. Aunt Betsy breast fed all three of her kids. Therefore despite the piles of diapers and Gerber panties, once Missy was 2 there were no baby bottles or nipples in our house. I also do not remember any pacifiers.

Usually we would arrive at a restaurant really needing to pee but with our diaper dry. Once toilet trained we all knew how to work a toilet. For us girls Mom or Penny would undo a single diaper pin, so that and the Gerber panties could slide down. Once we did our thing on the toilet we were responsible for cleaning ourselves. Then Mom or Penny would refasten our diaper. After we finished the meal just because the diapers and Gerber panties were damp with sweat we were changed into fresh diapers and panties for the rest of the day. Most of us kids were suspicious of gas station restrooms, so occasionally we would hold back pee, meaning before the restaurant or motel we might need to pee a little in our diaper. None of us were teased about either a dry or damp diaper. I did not take any special pride in staying dry. For me it was trying to conserve the diaper supply.

The Summer of 1976, when a lot of folks were way into the BiCentenial, I turned 12 and reached puberty. That also was when our Dad was given the chance to attend advanced management training at the main offices of his company. This was located in a smaller city of Iowa.

Everything was so well organized. Apparently most years one lower-level manager was selected for this training, so the company owned a large house where the trainee and family would live for nearly a year. Since managers often traveled from Iowa to Southern California, they actually had directions and lists of restaurants and motels Xeroxed. The previous year Dad and another manager made the trip.

Since the company-owned house was furnished, we each only packed a few favorite books and toys, besides our clothing and all the diapers! Back in Iowa we would need both the family surburban and the pick-up. Anything we did not need immediately during the drive was packed in the bed of the pickup. Stuff we would need during the day of driving, especially diapers, was packed in the back of the suburban, Dad and big brother Jack rode in the pick-up. Mom drove the rest of us: bro Ed; Older sister Penny; me; next younger sister Ruth; baby sister Missy who was seven.

Driving East we did not do any sight-seeing. I think we stayed in three motels, maybe four. None of us had ever been in a car on the Great Plains. For us it was so strange to be away from mountains once we were east of Denver.

The house was really nice, probably better than our own home. As soon as we arrived the wife of the company president greeted us. She had details about the schools we would attend. Mom had asked our own schools to send transcripts. By the time we did arrive all the schools were closed for staff vacation. We followed the president's wive to at least see the buildings.

A part-time office job had been arranged for Mom, so she could get all of us off to school and could then pick us up in the afternoon. However Mom did not need to start work for a couple of weeks. Because there had been no sight-seeing, Dad offered us the chance to make a trip just with Mom, since he had to work and study every day. Big brother Jack and big sister Penny decided to stay home with Dad. Little brother Ed could not decide, but eventually came with us. Mom did not tell us where we were going.

Leaving our borrowed house we drove on a highway north along a big river. Since Mom was doing all the driving and she had no bladder control, we always took a break every 2 hours. The second morning Mom broke the news we were invited to tour and have lunch with the workers at the Gerber vinyl pants factory in Three Oaks, Michigan. Granny had been writing to those ladies since 1950. Mom had been phoning and writing them since 1959. Apparently they knew us and Mom knew the names of the husbands and children of those women.

Along the way we did see some interesting places, like St. Louis and Springfield, IL. We cut through southern Indiana. I do not have a map of Michigan and am not sure where Three Oaks is located. The town was lovely. The Gerber factory was in a brick building that seemed to be well maintained, better looking than the industrial building we saw all the time in Southern California.

Meeting that staff was a real trip in its self. Of course all of us were wearing pinned Curity gauze diapers inside our own Gerber panties. Ed had his covered by shorts. Mom and us gals wore summer dresses with noting covering our Gerber panties. The staff loved us. There were hugs and kisses. Mom admitted she had been sending them photos of us as we grew and of us on trips.

First they gave us a pot luck lunch the women made. They obviously all could cook. When we were fed and had a chance to change into dry diapers, we got a tour of the factory. There were not all that many sewing machines. All were new industrial multi-needle machines. One section had the side-seam heat welders. Another section had the cutting table. There was a room to store the inventory and a packing and shipping room. Just before we left they gave each of us two brand-new panties in our own size.

Right up until Gerber closed that factory Mom still phoned there to order all the adult size pants the family needed. Then when Gerber decided to get out of the adult pants business they did the decent thing and offered to see the whole thing, machines and supplies, to the employees as a collective. Gerber still owned the land and the building, and gave them a good deal on the rent. That was when VIP started.

Mom and most of our family bought their vinyl panties from VIP until that sad day came when the remaining original Gerber/VIP ladies decided to retire. A few simply were tired of daily work. Hardly any younger people there were interested in sewing vinyl in a factory. Apparently VIP was running out of their special vinyl. Their volume was getting smaller. The minimum order for another shipment of vinyl would have lasted several years, but the vinyl only has a shelf-life of two years. With tears all over VIP closed.

Personally I do not think Granny Vi will ever be happy with another brand of vinyl panties for herself. Most of us now buy from Babykins. When I married Don in 1991 he already knew the people at Babykins because his late wife favored their soft vinyl pull-on panties.

Once I became good friends with Crissy Penn in May 1992, I loved the radical design she was perfecting for vinyl panties with forward facing leg holes, to reduce plastic bulk in front and provide extra material at the base of the backside where it is needed. Crissy lived in Northern San Diego not all that far from Gary Manufacturing, which specialized in contract manufacturing of vinyl garments and products, especially to the adult fetish trade. They loved Crissy's designs and traded her use of her designs for a discount on the panties she would sell. By the fall of 1992 the patterns were perfected and Crissy's Creations was in business.

Nothing in life is easy. A few weeks before the first production run of Crissy's panties came from the Gary factory, Crissy's handsome husband Eliot co-starred with me in my sequel video "Angela's Fantasy" which was also to be released and distributed by DPF. Originally Crissy was to also co-star, but before we all were ready to tape the video Crissy's pregnancy was obvious. She does make a cameo at the end and she did serve as script supervisor and costumer.

In another topic the history of DPF is covered. Chances are it never was a secret that Tommy who founded and owned DPF did not accept any competitors. When Crissy told Tommy she intended to sell her panties directly to ABDL and not wholesale to DPF, Tommy had a real terrible two's tantrum. Eventually DPF did distribute our video, but out of spite Tommy never promoted it as he had the first one, "Darling Baby Angel" Tommy also banned Eliot and Crissy from membership, to keep them from contacting the DPF membership.

That hardly mattered because by then Crissy was more loved in the ABDL world than was Tommy. Just in there part of San Diego were several DPF members. Crissy had a large address book of her own. Finally in 1994 Eliot and Crissy decided to move from San Diego. They gave up there business and gave away the remaining panties in stock.

Today many brands of plastic panties have Crissy-style forward facing leg holes. I tried some of those, but eventually switched to Babykins with ordinary leg holes. The soft vinyl I like is thin enough I do not notice excess in front. To even out the wear I alternate wearing the tag to the front and rear. That is me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Everyone, between the rush at my law office to get paperwork to Courts before the Holiday break and some health problems for my loving husband Don, I have not finished this. My apologies to those who have asked questions.

My twelth birthday happened a few days after we returned to our temporary home in Iowa from our side-trip to visit the Gerber vinyl pants factory. Less than two weeks after my bithday I reached puberty. A few days later I reverted to bedwetting.

Having grown up anticipating that the second I woke up feeling the dampness, I got out of bed. It was way before dawn so I changes my cotton panties for a dry pair, in which I placed a folded 21x40 Curity gauze diaper. I pulled on a pair of my size vinyl panties. Then I changed my sheets. Once Mom was awake I told her what had happened.

Once Mom thought the pediatrician who was treating my younger siblings would be in his office, she phone him to make an apointment for me. When we got there I explained without embarrassment I had dribbled enough while sleeping I could feel it when I woke up. Mom explained the theory our family had some kind of genetic wetting problem. At least the pediatrician did not burst out laughing. He said he had hardly any experience treating children past puberty. That was 1976, before pediatricians added training in adolescent medicine. He did refer me to both a gynecologist and a urologist. Both of those men gave me what was a standard exam for that era. Neither called me a lazy baby, but neither had any clue how to treat my incontinence or enuresis.

Back home Mom lost no time teaching and coaching me how to pin on my own gauze diapers. My big sister Penny was very helpful. At least I had experience diapering my younger sisters Ruth and Missy, so I knew the concepts. Still, it is more difficult to reach yourself. That afternoon I did stick myself a couple of times. Thus I was not confident at bedtime. I managed to pin the left side, but could not bring the right side snug. When I tried to pin it I would let the cloth slip. Penny leaned over and put in that pin for me. She gave me a kiss and promised she would coach me the next day. I got out of bed so I could pull on my Gerber vinyl panties.

The next morning I woke up after some of the kids. Yes, my diaper was fairly damp, not soaked, and nothing leaked out. I had to wait for the shower, so Mom suggested I simply leave the diaper on. When it was my turn for the bathroom, I took off my own diaper, put it in the pail and my vinyl panties on the toilet tank. I actually used the toilet, then took a shower. Once I dried off I put on conventional big girl cotton panties.

Mom told me she had talked to Penny, who promised to give me some coaching when she came home after lunch. Mom needed to work late to make up for the time she lost the day before taking me to the doctors. I was going to look out for my younger siblings until Penny came home. Our big brother Jack had found a paying job he liked.

Penny turned out to be a very good coach. Having pinned on and removed the same diaper several times before supper, I was very confident at bedtime. I pinned on my diaper and pull-on my vinyl panties. Mom double checked when she came to tuck me in and said I had done a fine job. She was proud and that made me feel great. All those years of wearing "just-in-case" diapers I had seldom wet them. That second night I woke up about 1 AM really needing to use the toilet.

Since I was not sure if it was just pee, I figured the safe thing was to get up and use the toilet. To do that I needed to release my diaper, so I undid the right pin. After that it was easy to slide my vinyl panties with the diaper out of the way. My diaper was damp and besides standing I could not pull it snug and replace the pin. I did not know where to find a changing mat. So I removed the left pin. I placed my diaper in the pail. Back in my room I pinned on a new diaper all by myself and reused the same vinyl panties. In the morning I told Mom about wishing I had a changing mat of my own. She gave Penny some money and asked her to take me to a store Penny had driven Mom to her ofice. From then on each time I woke up needing to use a toilet I would release the right side. Then I would decide if that damp diaper could be refastened. Mostly I could, so I would take off my vinyl panties, lie down on my changing mat and fasten the right side snug. If the diaper was too damp and I was going to pin on a fresh one I did not bother with the mat.

To this very day that is my method. Now that I am a married woman our master bedroom has an adult changing table. Frankly it is easier to pin on my diaper of a padded firm surface instead of a mattress. Even when my husband Don changes me before bed we use the table. Most nights around midnight Don will check my diaper gently. If he decided I need a change, he brings a dry diaper and pair of panties to my side of our bed. Without really waking me Don slides a thin changing mat under me. Using a warmed wipe or two he cleans and changes me. I only sorta wake up.

The summer I turned 17 in 1981 I had graduated from high school. Under my gown for the ceremony I wore a pinned gauze diaper and Gerber panties. Nobody mentioned noticing.

That spring I had been accepted to a university for pre-law that is in Upstate New York. Nobody in my family had previously gone to a university or lived in a dorm. After I knew my full-ride scholarship was in place, I wrote a polite letter to the housing director explaining I wet my bed, so I would bring my own waterproof sheet and diapers. I asked about using a washing machine. The housing lady wrote back right away, saying my wetting was not so unusual. She promised to pair me with a roommate who did not object to my wetting. Unfortunately the coin laundry was a couple of blocks away. Her suggestion was that I wear Atends disposables, which were sold in bags at the campus general store.

Mom was still not in favor of Pampers, although she had used them a few times when Ruth or Missy were sick. Still, Mom believed the housing lady was right. We decided that since I was leaving home in late August I should start getting used to Attends from the end of July. That summer I was working Monday through noon on Saturday at a law office. On my lunch hour I phoned some medical supply stores and found one close to our house that stocked Attends. The next Saturday afternoon Mom and I drove there. We bought a bag of the smallest Attends available from stock, Adult Medium.

Back at the house we read and re-read the instructions on the bag. Eventually I opened the bag and spread out my first Attends. My, my, it was a lot larger than a Pampers and it had two tapes per side. Treating it like a strange gauze diaper, I settled down on it.

Then the fun began. When I pulled the front up between my legs, the top came way over my waist. So I let the front loose and tugged the back higher. I tried again and the diaper was way longer than necessary. The lower tape was at my hips, not in the right place to form the leg hole. Pulling the back around, it overlapped so the right tapes were on the left back, not on the front. Even without disposable experience I concluded the Adult Medium was overly big for me. Saturday and Sunday night I wore a gauze diaper to bed.

Mom and I read the bag, so we learned the phone number for Attends in North Carolina. Monday they would open before Mom and I had to leave for work. We phoned and reached a nice lady in customer service. She told us because I was so petite (at the time 5'3" 100 pounds and 26" hips) I should try both Attends Youth and Small. She gave us the phone number and address of another medical supply store over 20 minutes from our home. I was not sure that since I was only a clerk-typist at the law office I would have enough privacy to discuss diapers over the phone. Mom was an office manager and not shy to talk with the medical supply store.

Allowing the store to open, Mom did phone them. They gave her accurate directions to find them and assured her both Youth and Small were in stock. Since that store was close to Mom's office she went there on her lunch hour. Much to Mom's surprise when she arrived a bag each of Youth and Small were waiting on the front counter. Mom introduced herself. The store owner told Mom the Attends factory had also phoned, instructing them to give us those bags as free samples. We were welcome to try both sizes and give away the size which did not fit me.

Although I was and still am petite, the Youth size were too small on me, mostly in the leg holes. The Attends Small Briefs fit me great. It only took me a few spoiled Attends before I could tape them on me snug enough. I gotta admit it took over two weeks before I was sleeping in the Attends as well as I did in my trusted soft gauze Curity diapers and Gerber panties. What I did find immediately was wearing Gerber vinyl panties over Attends was not comfy.

When filling a few cartons with the stuff I was shipping back to my dorm I included a new bag of Small and the open bag of Medium. I figured I would be the smallest gal in the dorm and Aunt Betsy wanted the Attends Youth. For the trip back East to Newark on an airplane I wore an Attends "just-in-case" and carried a few more in my on-plane bag. Security was less formal back then.

I arrived on campus two days before official move in. I met the nice housing director who showed me my dorm room and how to walk to the campus general store. Sure enough they had a whole section for Attends, from Youth on up to X-Large. The price was even less than from the medical supply store. I was allowed to sleep in my dorm room. In my suitcase I had one of my waterproof sheets. My cartons were delivered early on move-in day.

Frances Weaver, my dorm mate, arrived seconds after my cartons came. She had both her mother and father, as well as a whole lot of stuff. They lived in the township of Larchmont. I assumed that was also in New York State. Once her parents had left, before she even put most of her stuff away, Frances was out of the dorm, in search of parties. While I was trying to organize my desk Frances returned with an invitation to a kegger. She was over 18, but assured me in New York drinking laws were flexible. Since I was a student there would be no problem for me to go to drinking parties. What I did not admit to Frances was that since my folks drank only a little, I had up to then only had a few sips of wine, nothing stronger.

So before I started to dress for the kegger I put on an Attends. Frances giggled that she knew I might do so for bed, and she was okay with that, but thought a college gal in a diaper for a party was silly. I told her I was used to wearing "just-in-case" diapers. Frances said my Attends was disguised by my skirt, seamed stockings and very high heels.

The kegger was at a frat house a few blocks from our dorm. Since back home I rode buses to the law office and walked many blocks every day, always in high heels and formal skirts, going to the party was no problem for me. Frances looked good in her own high heels, but obviously never walked blocks on rough sidewalks in them. Her feet were sore when we did get to the party.

To make up, Frances accepted every cup of beer she was offered. She was drinking and dancing, having a wonderful time. Not being used to even mild beer, I nursed one cup the entire evening, holding it while dancing. For the party I only carried a tiny purse, no diaper bag. My cunning plan was to leave as soon as my diaper started to get damp. I had not learned how to release one set of tapes and refasten after using a toilet.

Shortly before 10PM someone asked if Frances had come with me. Frances was in a restroom, ashamed to come out because she had wet herself. I gave her my long coat to hide her accident and started walking her home. During the walk my own bladder reacted to the cool wind and I wet more. Half way home we had to stop so Frances could throw-up in a gutter.

Back in the dorm I got her undressed and put her in my bed which already had a waterproof sheet. Once she was settled I changes out of my own diaper, went down the hall to take a shower, used a toilet and rediapered myself for bed. I put my spare waterproof sheet on Frances' bed.

The morning after the night before Frances had the mother of hang-overs. She had wet while sleeping. The waterproof sheet worked. She claimed she had never wet her bed. Frances offered to take my sheets and waterproof sheet to the coin laundry as soon as she got dressed. I went with her since I wanted to run the waterprood sheet separately in cool water. Walking to the laundry pulling a cart Frances was glum and silent. It was early so the laundry was nearly empty. Frances apologized for giggling, admitting I had the right idea about wearing a diaper and drinking moderately. Even before the washing machines were finished she also told me about another kegger, this one for a sorority rush. She totally blushed when she asked if she could borrow a diaper and if I would put it on her.

Although I had washed my sheets and the waterproof sheet in separate machines, I started off drying them together, removing the waterproof sheet after 15 minutes, then letting the drier run until it timed-out with the sheets.

Yes, I did diaper Frances for that kegger. We walked there together, but I only drank a cup of ginger ale. I also left with my diaper dry early, so I could do some reading in our room. Later, Frances was almost sober, but her Attends was wet. She asked me to clean her up and diaper her for bed, which I did.

We lived together all four years of pre-law, getting increasinly better rooms each year. Her father was an attorney partner with a major firm. Frances is very bright. She expected to attend a law school in Connecticut while I was hoping for a law school near Boston. Obviously we did not live together during law school, but remain best friends. Only for parties and bed following a party did Frances wear diapers, yet she bought half of those for our room. Many weekends we went to her family's large home. Larchmont is in Westchester County, on the shore of Long Island Sound near New Rochelle, an easy train ride from Manhattan. In her bedroom Frances did not wear a diaper. I had told her mother about my bedwetting early-on.

Except to the one time Frances giggled, I never was kidded or teased about my diapers during pre-law, law school or while clerking with the Federal Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. The Summer of 1985, when I was moving to law school, I lost my daytime bladder control. Up to 1992, if I was super careful and drank hardly anything in the afternoon when I needed to do so I could make it for a couple of hours at an evening party without a diaper. For me that was a chore. Probably avoiding fluids was not ideal for my health.