LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cloth Diapers, Help?

Anyone know where to get good cloth diapers at an ok price? Or for starters, just where I can good cloth diapers? When I was little I wore a mixture of disposables and cloth diapers. Most sites seem to sell them in Terry, Flannel, Birdseye and Gauze. I don’t really remember them in terry or birdseye... I just remember them being flat and maybe Gauze like, but don’t remember... Almost seemed to be textured with a square shaped ribs in them. I've heard that they get like that after washing. Anyone have any helpful info? Where can I find them just like I used to wear?

Cloth diapers are almost extinct. I'm sure you can find them at Baby's R Us but finding them in your local drug store or grocery store is a no go. :( I am really surprised that 24 years ago you wore flat diapers. I think flat diapers are mostly gause or birdseye. By that time most cloth had gone to prefolds. I think most prefolds are birdseye. Terry is really a British thing. I don't remember ever seeing flannel in any form.

Cloth adult diapers today are not cheap. They cost about $25 each or more and seem to be mostly birdseye. There are suppliers on the internet with adult sized cloth diapers in a choice of fabrics.

Side note. On a whim while at my local Food Lion yesterday I checked for diaper pins. Not there. I forget when Gerber baby pants went absent. I'll just add these to my list of things gone by, like Diaper Doublers. :(

Damitall!

(Aside) YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

Anondl

Check out http://www.adultclothdiaper.com

They are not cheap but they last for years.

I like the gauze diapers.

Anyone know where to get good cloth diapers at an ok price? Or for starters, just where I can good cloth diapers? When I was little I wore a mixture of disposables and cloth diapers. Most sites seem to sell them in Terry, Flannel, Birdseye and Gauze. I don’t really remember them in terry or birdseye... I just remember them being flat and maybe Gauze like, but don’t remember... Almost seemed to be textured with a square shaped ribs in them. I've heard that they get like that after washing. Anyone have any helpful info? Where can I find them just like I used to wear?

Cloth diapers are almost extinct. I'm sure you can find them at Baby's R Us but finding them in your local drug store or grocery store is a no go. :( I am really surprised that 24 years ago you wore flat diapers. I think flat diapers are mostly gause or birdseye. By that time most cloth had gone to prefolds. I think most prefolds are birdseye.

Interestingly enough, my wife and I are expecting in a few weeks and we picked up about 36 flat flannel diapers at walmart. They're definitely very basic, that's for sure.

As far as cloth adult diapers go, I bought a few at diaper connection some years back, but I understand that they're no longer around. I've also bought some from B4NS, and made some of my own. Making them is not too hard, if you're handy with a sewing machine, and it's definitely cheaper than buying them.

I've been very curious about the diapers from adultclothdiaper.com. They have them in gauze which I think might have been what I wore. Does anyone know what is the difference between a prefold and flat? Can you send me any pics? Any other places online to buy from?

I buy my square flat gauze diapers from Adult Cloth Diaper Company. These come in a couple of sizes and as 2 or 4 ply. I use the 2 ply.

A prefold diaper is sewn to be nearly the correct size for an individual once it has shrunk. Typically it will have a more absorbent section in the center. Prefolds can also have winds with Velcro so the can be fastened without using pins. When a prefold is shaped to reduce bulk in the crotch it is commonly called a "contour" diaper.

Gauze is a very good choice for diaper material. Long ago Kendall Mills modified their famous Curity bandage gauze for diapers and sold such diapers under the Curity brand a long time, until they decided to get out of that business. That was when Kendall sold their gauze diaper division to Gerber. ACD gauze is a compromise, using slightly larger cotton threads than had Curity, but ADC gauze makes really effective and comfy diapers.

Way back Dundee Mills perfected a diaper cotton called Birdseye weave. The concept was similar to gauze, but with heavier threads and less space between the threads. Gauze stretches more than Birdseye.

Flannel and terry are other diaper materials made of cotton.

I've been very curious about the diapers from adultclothdiaper.com. They have them in gauze which I think might have been what I wore. Does anyone know what is the difference between a prefold and flat? Can you send me any pics? Any other places online to buy from?

Standard flat diapers were popular when people line dried diapers. A single layer of gauze will dry quickly.

Prefolds are convenient because they do not have to be folded. A pre-fold diaper has many layers.

As previously mentioned, I prefer the birdseye or gauze. These diapers last a long time. Terry and flannel wind up on the dryer lint screen.

More "Pin-On" people, I like that :D

Flat diapers(or contour)can be had at adult cloth diaper webstores, just google that up and you'll find a half dozen on the first page. Ebay has some good sellers and some decent prices, but not everything there is a bargain. I've never tried gauze due to the high price :( I like Birdseye but be sure of what you're getting. "Diaper Squares" are usually a single thin layer and you may need 4-6 to get the thickness you want. If the details don't say how many layers there are ask before buying. I use a lot of flannel too. They're thicker but to me sitting on flannel is like sitting on a board :angry2: Either of these will do a good job once you learn how to fold them, pin them on, and care for them. ACD seems to be the best source overall :) Then there's the pull-ons, another topic altogether.

The textured surface you seem to be looking for is probably Birdseye. I just bought a sewing machine and am going to use some '36X36 Birdseye squares' to create a multi-layer diaper with a center soaker from 4 of these. I bought these cheap on Ebay and each finished diaper will have cost me about $12US plus my time. By sewing my own I think I can get a more perfect fit but I want to get more sewing practice in first ;) Diaper pins aren't common anymore but can be found at smaller variety stores(Wilson's is where I buy mine)and can be had plain or shaped plastic headed. Craft stores often have the plain ones in larger sizes, about 3 1/2 inches seems to be the biggest of these. Again Ebay can be a source. It's hard on the cloth, but sometimes I use 'Horse Blanket' pins more proportioned to my size now when I'm wearing diapers at home. It adds to the fun factor for me. I haven't found these anywhere except Ebay but luckily there are usually some listed there. Most of these are 5-6 inches long in brass but chrome or nickel plated can be had sometimes. Maybe 'horse and tack' stores still sell these?

I don't remember being in diapers and the few pics of me with a bare diaper aren't good enough to know what weave they were :( I've always liked the one of me wearing Gerber plastic pants though. I look so comfy and happy in that pic, maybe that's why I like cloth diapers and plastic panties better today:wub: Cloth baby diapers are making a big comback because they are less likely to cause skin problems(if changed often), some say they're 'greener' enviromentally(hotly debated with no clear winner), and if well cared for they last long enough to save money in the long run. For us bigger ones, cloth is a definite plus in terms of money and absorbency compared to most disposables. They may go out of style but cloth diapers in all sizes will always have a market big enough for their continued production :D

Bettypooh

Guest pupsmommy

Kaz

You will have to get the quilted diapers in a Medical Suppy Store.

I do part time work in a hospital and that is where I order supplies.. special order Adult quilted diapers.

Good luck as they are really hard to find in any store.

• 1 month later...

So I've done a little research and that bumpy ribbed weave texture is actually not the fabric itself, but the fabric after washing and shrinking a little. So I think I want to order from Adult Diaper Co. Totally not sure so I was thinking one of each: Prefold day, prefold nite, Flat 2 ply, and a flat 4 ply. Also going to add those cute plastic head pins they have in my order. I remember those. These all need to be washed before wearing? I was told the basic detergent for diapers is Dreft, but when they are new, before you wear them, the best detergent is Ivory Snow. I don't know if I can get ether where I'm from. Never heard of ether before. I know I need plastic pants with these but I'll just get the diapers for now. Just those 4 diapers will cost just under $100... Maybe if I get birthday money this year. lol If anyone has anymore advice please share! :)

Kazbub,

You can get Ivory or Dreft from any grocery store, walmart, Fred Meyer, etc....

If you intend on using the diapers, you will need plastic pants as the cloth wicks the wetness and the outside does get wet.

I hope you find the diapers you like.

CDL

• 3 months later...

Ok been awhile since I've posted on here. I finally took a leap and ordered some cloth diapers from ACD. I ordered one Purity Flat 2 Layer 36x36 Gauze Diaper, one Daytime Prefold Adult Gauze Diaper, and one Leakmaster Pull On Plastic Pants in medium. The prefold feels close to my memory. The flat is way too thin... Maybe I should have ordered the 4 layer night time. The plastic pants are great but I ordered mediums and they are typical with adult baby items. HUGE. I'm a size 32 waist and these things are way too big. I know they must have room for the diapers but wow... I just was trying to avoid buying lots of these in different sizes as they are not cheap.

Ok so my first venture back into cloths didn't go so well. I can't seem to fold either just right... I like the prefolds better. I think they may have been what I wore back then... This is frustrating. I bought a prefold according to their size guide which says it fits up to 42" waist. I'm a 32" and I can barely get it around me. I'm totally lost here... Wish there was a mommy in my area to talk with and show me what I'm doing wrong... :(