LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Adult Baby Diapers
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sunwutian

Stents and UTIs?

7 posts in this topic

I started practicing stretching with an 8mm silicone sound (hollow), for an hour at a time.

Had the usual for a beginner tiny bit of blood come out upon removal, and there was burning for about a day each time after urinating.

That went away, but about three or four days later after having not used the sound at all, the burning came back really badly all of a sudden. There's no blood at all. So I did all the usual stuff like drinking lots of water and cranberry juice. The burning has gone down a lot but is still a little bit there another two days later.

I guess I didn't sterilize the sound well enough using antibacterial soap followed by 91% isopropyl alcohol. I didn't want to boil it. Or maybe the non-glycerine silicone lubricant was no good. I'll give in and get some iodine and boil the stent next time. Maybe buy the surgilube stuff too.

But my question is, can I just keep drinking a lot of fluids and hope for the UTI to clear itself up? Or is that basically impossible? Can I wait until I start to experience the first signs of back pain and fever (the signs it's migrated to kidneys) before going to get antibiotics? I really want to avoid taking antibiotics and building up a tolerance against them, and the urgent care place is expensive to go to so I'd rather avoid it if I'm able to.

You're saying the burning has gone down a lot, which makes me think that you don't have a UTI. You might have had an infection in the urethra, but even that I highly doubt as you would've rather described it as an itching sensation. I think you just caused some minor tearings in the surrounding tissue. If you get a fever, you should check it up.

For the sterilization: don't forget to use antibacterial soap on your meatus to prevent introducing bacteria in the insertion phase. Also be sure to wash your hands carefully, especially your fingertips. Use alcohol your hands after washing them. Sorry if i'm saying stuff you already know, I just want to make sure you follow all steps. If it's silicone it's safe to boil it. Have it in boiling water for 30 minutes (no need to use alcohol on it afterwards). Be sure your lubricant is sterile (one time use).

If you have a UTI you need antibiotics, don't mess around, see a doctor ASAP.  These things can move up into your kidneys, and that is serious business.

57 minutes ago, deewet said:

If you have a UTI you need antibiotics, don't mess around, see a doctor ASAP.  These things can move up into your kidneys, and that is serious business.

Healthy young people don't always need antibiotics for a UTI. It all depends. He/she doesn't even have a fever. No need to worry for nothing, heck, even a kidney infection isn't that dangerous if you're young. If treated early you often can take normal antibiotics for a kidney infection. It's only the most severe cases where you need to be admitted to a hospital and get intravenous antibiotics.

Well I screwed up big time. Had blood in there today, burning and urgency got worse again, so went to the local clinic to test.

He said the bacteria levels were crazy high and I must've had the infection for more than a few days.

I asked about skipping the antibiotic but he said it would be a really bad idea to risk it at this level.

Sigh. I might try one more time, with full on extreme sterilization, but this is very discouraging to my stent plans =(

The pain and risk isn't really that bad, but having to take antibiotics definitely is.

4 hours ago, sunwutian said:

Well I screwed up big time. Had blood in there today, burning and urgency got worse again, so went to the local clinic to test.

He said the bacteria levels were crazy high and I must've had the infection for more than a few days.

I think we all learn the hard way that is how not to get a UTI. Take the antibiotic and next time use something like Povidone iodine 10%. Since I starter cleaning the meatus with this I have been UTI free. I also soak my stents in 90% alcohol for ten minutes and then allow to air dry. Oh and Cranberry juice does help despite the negative comments on some sites.

Play safe and stay clean.

8 hours ago, sunwutian said:

I asked about skipping the antibiotic but he said it would be a really bad idea to risk it at this level.

Sigh. I might try one more time, with full on extreme sterilization, but this is very discouraging to my stent plans =(

The pain and risk isn't really that bad, but having to take antibiotics definitely is.

Sorry to hear, although i'm glad you got it sorted out. 

You can never eliminate the risks, only minimize. You should definitely sterilize your stent each time you insert it though. And drink a lot of fluids.

I wish you a good recovery! I've also had a UTI from catheters, so I feel ya :)