LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Adult Sized Diaper Wraps

I have been looking with no avail for an adult sized diaper wraps like the velcro kind babies wear. So far no dice and the companies that did produce them most have stopped. I did find a company that produces patterns for then and for diapers and I have written and asked them if it would be possible for them to enlarge the pattern to fit and adult. If they can't or won't I'm thinking about buy one and trying to do it myself. Hopefully I'll come up with a practical diaper cover for over my cloth diapers, that quick and easy to use. If there would be a demand I might even produce them for a decent price as well as we can use all the money we can get right now with me being out of work and waiting to get back into school. If you have any feed back on this or intrest please let me know.

Accutally baby-kins has a velcro diaper, but it still requires plastic pants, their all is one are more like what I'm talking about, but not quite. A diaper wrap is a garment that a normal pre-fold or prefolds, can be place in and then put on keeping every thing in place. No plastic pants are required and is many cases no pins either as the diaper is help in place by the cover. So far I have not found anything like this on the market for adult. I did find a place that can make them over seas but, they are cost prohibitive at that point. I looking for a product like the bummez or diaperraps.

Remember "Rubber Duckies" made in Santa Barbara, CA USA?

Their first product was a pull-on panty made of a polyester fabric that stretched slightly and was rendered waterproof by a coating on the inside. By 1987 the R. Duck Company started making adult Rubber Duckies. About the same time they came out with a wrap, with a mesk liner so a standard cloth prefold would stay in place. The Duckie Wrap was waterproof and fastened with Velcro. By the time I got super active in AB, there was a major re-organization of R. Duck, with the infant products, including the Duckie Wrap, staying in Santa Barbara, and the adult panties, but never a wrap, moving to the Mid West. The R. Duck marketing folks told us the Wraps were perfected at the request of the diaper service industry.

My kid sister Missy is a costume designer. She seriously looked into making adult wraps, at least for us, if not for mass production. A major difficulty was locating a waterproof fabric that would stretch and that could be sewn. With vinyl pull-on, the part that leaks the most is the side-seam. In production you can heat seal vinyl to itself. However, even thin vinyl does not stretch enough to be an ideal wrap. By 1991 even R. Duck was having a major quality-control problem with their coated fabric. The coating came off.

I talked with several companied and have ordered material to make my own. My sister and I worked out our pattern over a weekend. The problem with making them as a comerical venture I have found out is that, they fall under the regulation of the Food and Drug adminatration, their medical product devision. Because of that comerical manufacture would be very difficult at least from and expense side of things. But from a work at home standard easy to do provided you don't exceed over 10,000 dollars in profits a year. My pattern was designed from a baby pattern and modified from it flannel test bed. My PUL's (polyurathane lined) fabric should arrive early next week. :) Once I'm done I'll post a picutre of them so you can see how they turned out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to make two diaper wraps out of the material. They work great with my adult prefolds and fit quiet well. The work well for wetness and I found about by accident that they quite well for messy accident. Whether I would product them for sale is another story as they are not as easy as I though to make and take longer to make than I originally thought. That and between material, elastic and velcro, they get expensive. The size I've make would be considered a large, but I sure I could make them smaller if needed. So we'll see. :)

That and between material, elastic and velcro, they get expensive.

The ones omutsu.co.jp sells are like $70 at regular price, so if you're in that range or less I wouldn't be too worried about cost. People will figure out that there aren't economies of scale to drive prices down. (Or you could tell them that.)

What kind of design are you using? The Japanese-style that goes around the waist then between the legs? Side-fastening like disposables? Some other thing?

The ones omutsu.co.jp sells are like $70 at regular price, so if you're in that range or less I wouldn't be too worried about cost. People will figure out that there aren't economies of scale to drive prices down. (Or you could tell them that.)

What kind of design are you using? The Japanese-style that goes around the waist then between the legs? Side-fastening like disposables? Some other thing?

The one I have been making are larger size version of the curently available baby diaper covers. The prefold is laid in the middle and it is pulled like a normal diaper, then fastened with velco. Very similary to cuddle bum, or poo-pockets. They work fine so far require no pins and protect fine. ^_^