LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Urinary incontinence is highly prevalent among male post-COVID-19 patients

Background: Amid the global health challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, an association with urinary system complications has been identified. Urinary incontinence (UI) has become a significant post-COVID sequela among males, with substantial implications for their quality of life. Objective: The study aimed to quantify the frequency and delineate the severity of urinary incontinence in post-COVID male patients, as well as to document the prevalence of associated lower urinary tract symptoms. Methods: A cross-sectional observational study was executed, engaging 400 male post-COVID patients aged between 45 to 64 years from three hospitals in Lahore. Participants were selected via non-probability convenience sampling and provided data through the International Consultation on Incontinence Questionnaire-Urinary Incontinence Short Form (ICIQ-UI SF) and Male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (ICIQ-MLUTS). Statistical analyses were performed using SPSS version 21. Results: The prevalence of urinary incontinence among the participants was high, with 367 (91.75%) reporting some degree of UI. In terms of severity, moderate UI was the most common, affecting 248 (67.5%) of those with UI, followed by slight UI in 82 (22.5%), and severe UI in 37 (10%) participants. The study identified urgency (reported by 133 participants or 33.3% 'occasionally' and 132 or 33% 'most of the time') and postvoid dribbling (reported by 159 participants or 39.8% 'most of the time') as the most frequent symptoms. Notably, there were no reports of very severe urinary incontinence.

Conclusion: The study concludes a high prevalence of urinary incontinence among male patients post-COVID-19, with the majority experiencing moderate severity. These findings underscore the importance of including urinary incontinence assessments in post-COVID patient care and may inform the development of targeted interventions to improve patient outcomes.

Source: Frequency of Urinary Incontinence Among Post COVID Males

• Like 2

The headline caught my eye not because of any particular interest in acquiring post-COVID incontinence but rather that such a notable factoid should have escaped the attention of the entire world thus far as it relates to what I'd expect to be the most scientifically studied global pandemic ever.

What did the University of Lahore see that nobody else did.

Whilst no academic, I downloaded the paper and scanned it.  A couple things jumped out:

"Non-probablistic convenience sampling"

Not a stunning baseline I would have thought.  We are sampling people because they were easy to find and self-selected.

"The research focused on middle-aged male patients, specifically those aged between 45 and 64 years, who had recovered from COVID-19 at least two months prior to the study. "

Uh ok...  Then the punchline arrived: the dominant presentation was "moderate" incontinence whose definition included urgency and I thought to myself, "Welcome to late middle age folks!"

Again, not really an area of expertise for me so I may be judging this too harshly but it seemed like quite a weak signal.

So they went to three hospitals in Lahore and found 400 men that had had COVID and most had some sort of urinary incontinence. 

Next up. Survey of American Kindergarten determines most attendees are little kids... The presence of a small number of adults couldn't be explained.

• Like 1

alas, the problem unearthed with many "research surveys" that are presented to us as gospel on anything and everything. As a retired engineer, I was trained and worked in my career always looking at the database used to ensure it is accurate and complete, and follow the analysis train before accepting published results as a basis for any of my work.  As a result, I find that so many of the so-called experts we hear from are not based on the science I depicted above, but only on a thin premise, and currently accepted politics. Many are not trained and peer accepted scientists, but rather someone with a sub par education and little or no experience, out to make a buck selling or saying something!  

Keep in mind, you can say or publish anything these days, right or wrong-the thought that if it was said on TV it has to be truth, is so far off base that the only folks that believe this have had to been brain washed already.  

Wake up and accept the new reality, look for the real experts in the world and you will be able to see the differences!!!