LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Colon resection surgery

So I'm having colon resection surgery and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this done. Just wondering what to expect.  I'm having it done because of my recurring diverticulitis flare ups. My Dr thinks it will be beneficial for me.  Ive looked at alot of information online about it but I just thought I'd ask around in the community for more information.  Thanks 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 3:03 AM, PlstkBakdnghtnday said:

What is diverticulitis and how will this surgery help? I'm assuming that since you're on this site it has something to do with bowel incontinence 

It doesn't exactly deal with incontinence.  But it's in the area. Diverticulitis is a very painful thing to have especially when a flare up occurs.  The lining of the colon gets these pockets amd they can become irritated and infected.  The best way to get rid of it is by having that part of your colon removed.  

diverticulitis.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, messybutt2 said:

It doesn't exactly deal with incontinence.  But it's in the area. Diverticulitis is a very painful thing to have especially when a flare up occurs.  The lining of the colon gets these pockets amd they can become irritated and infected.  The best way to get rid of it is by having that part of your colon removed.  

diverticulitis.jpg

I have had a mild case of it for about 20 yrs, and never had to have any surgeries I am very thankful. But not eating things like nuts etc, they have a list to be careful about. I have too many other issues to worry about, trying to eat the stuff that I don't need, if you cut back on the bad things it will make you not need a surgery.  Unless it's too late.  And it will not have anything to do with being bowel issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

my mom has diverticulitis, real bad, she had to go to the hospital a week ago and they said she has a small perforation from it, she has to have the same procedure, they want to try to wait 6 to 8 weeks without a flareup so they can do it safer and with a robot laproscopically, much better than an emergent procedure where they would have to do a colostomy, and hope when they connect everything that everything still works, and be rid of the bag on the side(it can be iffy wether or not it would work that way)

• 2 months later...

I have been lucky , I have diverticulitis , I have had it for over 10 yrs. And as long as I eat the correct stuff, mainly no Nuts and other stuff. But I don't know if it helps. But I do a 4 qt enema twice in a row every nite. I don't know but it may help. With that much water, NO added stuff only water. I had a upper and lower scope last week and I have them under control ..

I've had diverticulitis 20 years back. At the time I dodged the bullet because a almost ended with a colostomy surgery. At the end I had a colon resection. My surgeon removed about 5"s. I was in the hospital for 6 days. Really good pain-killer medication. But it sucked. Now? Completely healthy. And I use psyllium husk (like Metamucil) every day. Since using it, I developed a way to include multiple, gigantic poo's. It's what I call as "fiber loading." Psyllium husk makes more bulk. Kind of semi-soft to firm poo. If I was doing some fiber loading, I can have multiple loads in one day. Still, if you are having a colon resection, it's not fun. Even with the pain-killer drugs.

On 11/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, diaperjack101 said:

I've had diverticulitis 20 years back. At the time I dodged the bullet because a almost ended with a colostomy surgery. At the end I had a colon resection. My surgeon removed about 5"s. I was in the hospital for 6 days. Really good pain-killer medication. But it sucked. Now? Completely healthy. And I use psyllium husk (like Metamucil) every day. Since using it, I developed a way to include multiple, gigantic poo's. It's what I call as "fiber loading." Psyllium husk makes more bulk. Kind of semi-soft to firm poo. If I was doing some fiber loading, I can have multiple loads in one day. Still, if you are having a colon resection, it's not fun. Even with the pain-killer drugs.

I had my surgery back in June , I've since then healed up fantastically.  I take Metamucil gummies daily and they definitely help.  Feel so much better now.  

3 hours ago, messybutt2 said:

I had my surgery back in June , I've since then healed up fantastically.  I take Metamucil gummies daily and they definitely help.  Feel so much better now.  

since the colon is where water is absorbed, have you felt any dehydration from it or is there no difference? did your doctor order you to drink any clear liquid protein? my mom has to have this on december 29th(was suppose to be nov 3rd but the doc rescheduled), my thinking is protein should help her to heal, but she wont be able to eat for a while, some checking showed that gatorade makes a clear protein drink, im wondering if that will help her.

5 hours ago, feralfreak said:

since the colon is where water is absorbed, have you felt any dehydration from it or is there no difference? did your doctor order you to drink any clear liquid protein? my mom has to have this on december 29th(was suppose to be nov 3rd but the doc rescheduled), my thinking is protein should help her to heal, but she wont be able to eat for a while, some checking showed that gatorade makes a clear protein drink, im wondering if that will help her.

When I was having a flareup I would switch from solid foods to liquids. As far as after surgery her doctor will be able to help out with that. I'm back to eating normal.  I have changed my diet though , less fatty foods and more fiber. Water will definitely help out.  

• 4 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 3:40 AM, messybutt2 said:

I had that resection (diverticulitis) 20 years back. The surgery took ~5" from my large colon.No big deal. And like you I already took psyllium husk (Metamucil) daily. I was fine. For awhile. About a year ago I started having strong urgency problems. Eventually I become fecal incontinent. I have zero control. Sleeping and during the day. The physicians don't know why. I don't have any of the typical bowel issues (IBS, Colitis or Crohn's). I've been for a couple of colposcopy procedures. Nothing. No cancer. They are still looking. In the mean time I'm diaper dependent. I have several pretty large BM's everyday. I know that I've always been a DL member here. But when you have no control, it's a really pain in the ass (dirty diapers all the time). You's think that being a DL, BM accidents would be fine. When you become incontinent, not so much.