LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Chat room down?

I am having issues too

My JS Console is showing:

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier 'includes'

If I go directly to the chat page I get this:

The includes/integration.php file does not exist. We recommend installing ArrowChat again making sure to CHMOD all necessary files/folders to 777 regardless of what the installer tells you. If you still have problems, please contact support at http://www.arrowchat.com/support/.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, subssn21 said:

making sure to CHMOD all necessary files/folders to 777 regardless of what the installer tells you.

As a Unix (and much later Linux) administrator going back to the late 1980s, those words cause me to cringe with fear. Particularly when the instruction comes from the software's author! I've never heard of a good reason for doing that except for diagnosing a problem.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, tuffy said:

As a Unix (and much later Linux) administrator going back to the late 1980s, those words cause me to cringe with fear. Particularly when the instruction comes from the software's author! I've never heard of a good reason for doing that except for diagnosing a problem.

Same here...  wtf if I see that I'm asking serious questions 

12 hours ago, tuffy said:

@tuffy

as a Linux administrator myself, I would rather run something that is not wide open 777! This would allow someone to be able to access a directory and have full write permission read permission and execute permission within it. I cringe also when I have to see information that says set anything to 777!

I sent my umask to 022, and the only directories I leave open on my server are the ones where I want publicly accessible. This would be consistent with setting up a website, And even then, you still have to make sure that your particular permissions are set properly! you should never set anything wide open 777 unless there's absolutely no other way to make sure that something can be working the way it should. Leaving something open 777 would be similar to having someone get the root password! not a good idea!

Brian

Don't look at me, I just copied what the arrrowchat page was showing when I went to it. I was finally able to get in after clearing cache and local storage for the site and relogging in.

Although I agree 777 sounds like a bad plan.

33 minutes ago, subssn21 said:

Don't look at me, I just copied what the arrrowchat page was showing when I went to it.

Sorry @subssn21, you're just the messenger and I don't mean to imply that advice was coming from you.

To be clear, my comments are directed at ArrowChat and their installation advice here where they tell their customers to use unsafe permissions for files that the web server needs for write access. Those files should be owned by the web server user and should be set to 644 (user=read+write, group=read, other=read) at most. If they can't figure out why, they should send some of their guys to a local Unix/Linux users group meeting to learn about *nix permissions.

13 hours ago, tuffy said:

Absolutely agree. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, tuffy said:

To be clear, my comments are directed at ArrowChat and their installation advice here where they tell their customers to use unsafe permissions for files that the web server needs for write access. Those files should be owned by the web server user and should be set to 644 (user=read+write, group=read, other=read) at most.

@tuffy

when I was installing one application, it was telling me that one directory should be 777, but I would prefer to have the directory 644, because that is a more appropriate setting than I have it wide open read write execute for everybody! if you go 644, at least you have the proper set up so that nobody else should be able to get access to your files that you don't want them to. That's why I run 755 on my main directory, And then I will set permissions for other directories as necessary, this way I don't have to lock down the entire directory all the way down, and therefore when I have a problem I just have to say 755 for permissions and then diagnose and then my directory is not closed off to the entire world, But I am hesitant to run 777 on anything that is not necessary. running 644 is the most safe that I have found

Brian

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, ~Brian~ said:

when I was installing one application, it was telling me that one directory should be 777, but I would prefer to have the directory 644, because that is a more appropriate setting than I have it wide open read write execute for everybody!

Yes, I've run into that before (chough, WordPress, cough, NextCloud, cough). In WordPress, I make everything owned by the admin responsible for the website except for wp-content/uploads which is owned by the web server, but is still in the admin's group. All directories are 755 and all normal files are 644. That way, they can install updates using the excellent SSH/SFTP Update plugin on their own.

• Like 1