LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Worst nappy rash ever

I had to go to the emergency doctor on sunday night. 

I have had the worst nappy rash I've ever had. And I've had more than my fair share. 

Prescription of some fancy cream and strong anti histomine. 

Its been a continuous battle for a couple of years now. Its driving me insane.

Any tips or suggestions to keep it at bay this time?

@wetste

The one thing that I can suggest is that every time that you change, that you use appropriate barrier cream between your skin and the diaper surface. This is because you know that you have ammonia in your urine, and although it is sterile, there are bacteria within your urine, and if you have a wet or a dirty diaper, the contents of the diaper can react with your skin and cause an issue.  Follow your doctors instructions with your prescription, and then every single time you change, place a barrier cream on between your skin and a diaper.

people may laugh at this: however, as people know your skin is your protective wear against everything in the world. It helps you keep clean, it helps you keep safe, and you clean and moisturize your skin when it gets dry, so the same thing could be said of your diaper area. However, just as a baby is given opportunities to run around naked, without a diaper on, this has the effect of along the areas that are suffering diaper rash to be able to heal. If you do not allow yourself to air out every once in a while, this can be a pain in the neck.  Even I will do this on occasion, because I don’t want a diaper rash or a rash to get severe colon if it does, you will need strong medicine possibly antibiotics to be able to kill whatever it is. When you are disabled, you also have to be careful that you don’t suffer from “skin breakdown“ which is a form of hell but I hope others don’t have to experience. When your skin breaks down, you lose protection in a particular area, and that is because you’re constantly laying on sitting on or not moving from a particular area, like a bed, a wheelchair, or somewhere else. Let me tell you, skin breakdown is no fun, and it is a hell second only to diaper rash that is agonizing!

Even I will go naked every once in a while to let my skin air out. I have washable pad on my recliner, and I stick a  chux pad underneath me so that if I were to release it is not causing a major problem. Hopefully, when you use the right topicals, you will be able to stem the tide of a rash, and if you end up using a barrier cream every change, and you May not stop it completely, but you end up lowering  the frequency of bad rashes. Remember fecal matter and urine are foreign matter to your skin, and your urine is full of ammonia, which can and does react with your skin after a long period of time. That is why when a baby has a wet diaper, and the parents realize that, they try to change the diaper on a more frequent basis if they know the kid is susceptible to rashes, and they use plenty of barrier cream to make sure that the rash heals.

Good Luck!

Brian

After i shower in the morning i will air out for at least an hour using a chair pad while doing so. then use a good cream ( i use sudocreme ) all over the crotch, bum and any where else the nappy will be in contact, then powder. If you mess at any time then wash with soap and water and repeat process.

Using this method i have never had any rashes. Hope it heals well for you wetste.

Maly.

• Like 1

All of the above is good advice. Urine contains nitrogen compounds that get converted to ammonia by bacterial action, and ammonia is very irritating to your skin - it strips away the protective oils that allow your skin to act as a barrier. So, more frequent nappy changes and showering off at least once a day will help, and a good barrier cream is a must. I've had a couple of really bad nappy rashes in my day, including one that I had to go to the ER for, so I know your pain. Now, I stay on top of it, so it never gets that bad. 

A couple of other points are: 1) The quality of the diapers you wear can definitely make a difference. Good ones contain products that halt the bacterial creation of ammonia for a long time. If you have a diaper on for a few hours and it starts smelling like ammonia, it's probably not a great diaper in this regard. The really good ones can still smell fresh 10 or 12 hours after you put them on. 

2) That being said, once you mess, that massive influx of bacteria and organic matter will overwhelm the inhibitive properties of even the best products. Once you've scorched the earth, the countdown has started, and you should change relatively quickly.

3) I've found that the worst diaper rashes are generally kept going by fungal elements, rather than bacteria. Antibiotic ointments don't seem to do much, and while steroidal creams like cortisone can calm down the inflammation, if you've had a bad diaper rash going for more than a couple of days, and no amount of barrier cream or washing seems to be helping, then you need to get your hands on an anti-fungal cream or spray, of the type used for athlete's foot, yeast infections and ring worm. Follow the instructions to the letter: if it says keep using it for two weeks, use it for two weeks, even if the rash has subsided after three days. Doing that has rid me of some painful diaper rashes, and given me months of rash-free comfort. 

• Thanks 2

@Little Sherri

If I remember correctly Mikey said that sometimes when he gets a bad rash when he does, he uses Lotrimin AF, which is athletes foot spray for jock itch. This stuff can really do number on Fungus, but it itches like hell for a few days. It is always a good idea to be able to air out when you take a shower, so that you can see before you put a diaper or anything else on if you have any rashes, or places were skin may break down. Skin breakdown can be detected when you feel your skin and it feels really sensitive red and sometimes it can smell.  You can also see red blotches, and skin may be easily falling off of an area that is dealing with skin breakdown. This is why it is very important to use barrier cream when you were wearing diapers.  You have to put back all of the moisturization and protection in your skin that is stripped away when you are urinating in a diaper.

and I have always said that the best way to take care of a situation when you’re dealing with diapers is that you have the best diaper that you can possibly get. I’ve stated it many times before that companies that sell diapers do not want us to have the best available, because it cost them a lot more to cover. I would rather see people that have what they need, and have a little bit more than they need so that they don’t have to deal with really bad rashes. I can tell you from experience that rashes are no fun and ammonia is very very bad. Remember that your body has a certain pH level, and urine has a particular pH as well. If you end up smelling your urine and it smells real bad it probably means that you have had a diaper on way too long, you have a lot of liquid in your body that you’re trying to release, you were sick, or something else is going on. Diapers can have strong smells depending on what you are digesting and what you are eliminating. This is why it is important that when you are wearing diapers that you are taking care of any rashes and that you are airing out – if you do not do this then you will probably end up exactly where a little Sherry did colon in the emergency room and in agony.

where did I learn this from: that’s an easy answer! why @Evelyn Dellcerro of course! She also taught me that while people who will use powder when they are changing, she does not use powder very much if at all.  What can happen is that if you use your topical creams to form the barrier, and then you sprinkle baby powder all over yourself and rub that in, the oil/barrier cream and the powder get all over your hands. If you were changing your own diapers what will happen is you will grab the tapes and try to pull them free to be able to attach the diaper, and because your hands are full of this concoction, it gets on the tapes and makes them useless! She says that it is not always necessary To use powders, but I do every once in a while. If you overdo it with the powders, what can happen is everything will be OK until you release. If you are urinating in the diaper, what will happen is there anything that is released that makes contact with powder will cake up and cause a whole bunch of mess and then all you have is something that looks like the consistency of white wall board and wallpaper paste.  All of The information that is listed here is great information, and will help you should you need any further information. If Evelyn sees this one, maybe she will end up responding as well!

good luck stay dry and comfortable!

Brian

• Like 1

Hi thanks for all the replies.

I'm incon so wear all the time. I do air out and shower daily.

I wear tena ultima as my go to nappy and megamax at night.

It is a fungal infection according to the Dr. It just seemed to take over very fast. The prescription cream is a 3 in 1 fungal/bacterial and steroid. Also strong anti histomines to help calm the itch (that become to sore to itch) 

Its calmed down lots in the last 48 hours but I've got plenty of cream left so will continue to use it.

I always use a barrier cream and change often.

I know the airing out (currently sat here on a pad doing just that) maybe it just got me down a little it seems to be a constant reoccurring issue.

Thanks for all your help 

• Like 1