LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Catheters and Diapers Advice

Hi everyone.

I'm getting a catheter put in for five days, and I'm wondering: is there a safe way to be leaking into a brief the whole time instead of a collection bag?

I'd like to avoid getting a UTI, but I'd also rather be using my diapers. Does anyone have any advice for this sort of thing?

There is a higher risk of getting a UTI if you leave the catheter open in a diaper. Especially when you are lying in bed there is a big chance of sucking in air from within the diaper into the bladder. I remember that I could literally “breathe” in and out through the catheter lying on my back by breathing deeply in and out through my lungs. Your bladder is not supposed to contain air. 

Maybe if the catheter has a one way valve at the end the risk would be a lot lower.

Helplessly leaking in a diaper is a lot of fun, that is for sure. ?

As mentioned by cathdiap, an open cath in a diaper is a no-no. A one way valve is the best solution, I once used a thin balloon used to make animals figures a one way valve.  Sliding one end on  the cath discharge and cutting the end off the other. This allowed fluids to escape but would collapse on itself easily preventing a back-flow.

Not medically recommended but it worked for me.