LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Catheter drain into diapers (NOT ABDL Reason) Incontinence and retention issues

Hi All

I am thinking outside the box what kind of Catheter can stay in the bladder so urine can just drain into adult diapers as been in them since 2009 when I had an Spinal Injury L3L4L5S1 to the point of Intermitted urine Incontinence, intermitted retention, bowel constipation, as well as apparently purposely dehydrate myself due to my issues to the point my psychologist wants me to do exposure therapy to get "used to" wetting myself so I desensitize so its not traumatic and accept my incontinence as the intermitted no warning episodes is messing up my autism and mental health to the point I occasionally self harm because of it even though been 11 years.

Catheter and bag system wont work for me as I wouldn't be able to insert it myself as well as a high fall risk and the tubing would move as well as tangle according to health professionals due to my many disabilities incl shaky hands

will def ask the next urologist if the ever open and see people again in Australia public health

Letting a catheter drain into a diaper is not a good idea.  This leaves an open pathway for bacteria to get into your urinary system and cause infections.  Normally, the catheter is inserted once and remains in for 30 days in a situation like yours.  Then it is removed and a new one inserted in order to minimize the possibility of infection. There is another alternative if catheterization is impractical and that is for a stent to be inserted.  That’s something  you would have to discuss with your doctor. 

yea, definitely don't want to do that. I've been IC for about 25 years. Early on When I was in certain positions, sitting or lying down it was like a cork popped in and I would wake up almost every hour and a half feeling like i was going to pop. I'd flood as soon as I stood up, If you can call the amount a dixie cup can hold a flood, then lay back down and go to sleep again. After a while I got tired of the constant waking up and tried using a catheter like that. Kept everything sterile, had the insertion kit and everything, but all it took was that one time to get a bad UTI out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good idea. I have similar injury plus upper spinal. and if you have the nerve damage also. You might not even know if you get a uti and possibly go septic. Dehydration led to internal bleeding. Another time I went to the ER after 8hrs of thinking I had something out of place in my back, only to be told I was having a heart attack. 3 stints and some damage good to go. 

If you have nerve damage you have to think about the what ifs from heat, cold, diet, meds, exercise. Diapers can even cause skin infections that can get out of control if you don't knows it's starting. 

The stents sound like an idea. I did know a guy that had the bladder muscles cut to get away from indwelling catheters. Talk to your doctor. Wish you luck

• 2 weeks later...

They don't make a catheter for this but I was able to do this when I had retention issues.

Basically a 5cc Foley but modified by cutting the line and plugging the saline line. 

The problems is it irritates the end of the penis.

The solution was to compress the penis so that the catheter could be cut so it was deep inside the penis. This is more than tricky as the edge of the tubing can irritate the inside of the urethra. But cutting the drain line on a slant and plugging the saline side with a rounded end worked. 

The penis easily covers the end of the tubbing. Retrieving the end is not hard. To remove the cath, just cut off the plug and the balloon deflates and is easily and painlessly removed.

This basically creates a stent for your bladder. Used this for 3 weeks at a time for about 5 months.  No UTIs. It did take a number if tries to get the depth correct. 

Ejaculation and is not impacted except that urine will still leak during sexual activity as the prostate cannot close off the flow of urine. I only know that ejaculation was possible was because I would have spontaneous ejaculation and seminal fluid leakage back then.

I knew this was risky when I did it but bladder retention can be very uncomfortable. And in my case, very unpredictable.

My urologist was surprised I didn't get a UTI but surmised it might be because the urethra stays closed much like in normal incontinence. 

Btw, I wrote on my lower abdomen with a sharpie that an internal cath was in use. Just in case I was brought to a hospital unconscious. 

Edited by ThomasInWVa
Wasn't finished with the post.