LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Will permanent catheter usage cause incontinence?

If I were to wear a Foley catheter, draining into a leg bag. 24/7 365 days a year (with regular changes of course) would it cause any incontinence? How long would I have to wear the catheter to make it happen? I plan on bedwetting all of 2020, I'm just curious if a catheter can, over time, cause incontinence.

Thanks 

Remember the Moto do no self harm and be careful what you wish for you may get it.  That being said using catheters and leg bags  24/7 will shrink your bladder size over time and will put you at risk of UTI’s and incontinence may seem like a great idea but the reality is it is not. 

Once you get to the point of having little or no control of your bladder theres no going back and night time (Bed Wetting) issues have a nasty habit of turning into day time issues as well. If you have a nap juring the day  chances are you will pee while you sleep you can not train your bladder to only release at night. 

Please rethink your decision incontinence is not a game or something you can turn on and off at will once it starts chances are its a permanent issue.

Waring for fun is one thing but trying to cause your self harm  (Catheter 24/7) to create a medical issue  is a bad idea.

• Like 1

I'm fine with it being incontinence 24/7. I've worn 24/7 for months before and I've read over every pro and con. Eventually I'd like to become fully diaper dependent: Urinary and bowel.

I feel as though this is the right choice for me ?‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/2/2019 at 7:56 AM, Rob110 said:

Waring for fun is one thing but trying to cause your self harm  (Catheter 24/7) to create a medical issue  is a bad idea.

Proper self-catheterisation in accordance with medical standards and sterile approach will not lead to self harm. It might lead to side effects such as bladder spasms, bladder stones, UTI's and minor tissue damage even when done correctly but this heals pretty fast on healthy individuals.
I am unfortunatly forced to insert indwelling catheters myself, even though my doctor does not approve, simply becayse their nurse did it so bad I lost a big piece of tissue and had a serious UTI after.

They then said I should switch to intermittent catheterisation but this is practically not an ideal solution for me , especially not with the heavy and frequent urges.
So as long as you follow correct procedure and use catheters safely as they are supposed to be, there is no harm, except yes you will cause increased urges.

My urologist still clings to the fact it would not contribute to relaxing/weakening the spasmic urethral sphincters but after the failed botox injection they left me no choice....

Anyways, not trying to counter or anything, just being a bit more specific :)

14 hours ago, Catheterslave said:

How is Botox use for uroligist use ?

did Botox make you leak more? 

Botox can be used for 2 types of treatment.

The first is incontinenence where 100 - 300 units of Botox are injected into several key points inside  the bladder wall. This will reduce unprovoked and involuntary vodings. 

The second is for urinary retention where the external urethral sphincter muscle closes involuntary during or before voiding, there they inject 80 - 100 units of Botox in several key locations. This will make it easier to relx that muscle.

With 100 units of this stuff you may leak a little but don't expect muuch of incontinenence, they knowthey can't inject more or they will cause it. But in my case 100 units did nothing at all.....

Downside is that ou need to have this procedure repeated every 6 - 9 months, depending on patient and severity

• 3 weeks later...

Simply, yes and no....

A catheter defeats the ability of the urinary sphincter to stop the flow of urine from the bladder. As a result, when urine enters the bladder it will drip out and not be stored. This has the secondary effect of stopping the bladder from expanding, which will eventually thicken the bladder walls, and shrink the bladder capacity. After long term use, the bladder capacity will reduce to 50-100ml rather than the 500ml+ capacity. As a result, one will need to void more frequently in smaller quantities. The average adult voids every 300ml every 3 hours. With a capacity of 50ml, one will need to void every 30mins or less.

Since the excretory process of bladder stretch, notification to void, hold it, void is also interrupted in favor of the autonomic process - your mind is no longer being informed of a need to void as the bladder is no longer stretching, also, you are not 'holding it' i.e. the infantile process of voiding - release as soon as triggered, unless you are wearing training pants / underwear (something that will give the cold/wet feedback) your body will not interfere with the voiding process and you will become diaper dependent.

Since the body will be very fast to adapt - you will feel the urgency to void shortly before you void, but due to the bladder size, this will be every 30 mins.

The catheter does not directly effect the sphincter, but the ability for the bladder to expand. As a result, it may cause incontinence depending on external factors - ie are you wearing diapers 24/7 and are they absorbent enough so you do not feel wet / cold after wetting them? If so, then you will revert to the infantile form of voiding.

This result can be achieved by wearing bulky diapers 24/7/365 and changing same every 4-6 hours despite what is in them. This will convince the mind that it is better to void as and when needed rather than store same - reverse the toilet training. AND does not include the infection risk of catheter play.  

I really doubt it will render you incontinent. I have been using catheters and stents well over 16 years now, for the most part 24/7. For sure your bladder will shrink and if you take it out you will have to pee every so many minutes. Give it some time varying from a couple of hours to a couple of days depending on the duration your stent was in place and things will turn to normal. At least that is my experience. I truly belief as long as the function of you sphincter is not interrupted or your sphincter nerves damaged natural reflexes and functions will return. If done properly putting in catheters or stents cause no damage. If it did after 16 years of almost continuous use of them there would have been some evidence damage was done so far there is no sign what so ever.

Been using catheters for 3 months now and unfortunatly did have infections, one was caused by a trained nurse....

but anyway, I did have involuntary voidings for 5 days or so and then it reverted but I did try to keep the sphincter relaxed while having one in, but admitted, it's much easier to relax the sphincter when wearing a diaper because there is no irritation or risk of urine leakage getting between the urethra and catheter from relaxing the catheter.

My main goal was to reduce the bladder volume with them, because relaxing the sphincter is a different thing

On 12/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, dlnoir said:

I really doubt it will render you incontinent. I have been using catheters and stents well over 16 years now, for the most part 24/7. For sure your bladder will shrink and if you take it out you will have to pee every so many minutes. Give it some time varying from a couple of hours to a couple of days depending on the duration your stent was in place and things will turn to normal. At least that is my experience. I truly belief as long as the function of you sphincter is not interrupted or your sphincter nerves damaged natural reflexes and functions will return. If done properly putting in catheters or stents cause no damage. If it did after 16 years of almost continuous use of them there would have been some evidence damage was done so far there is no sign what so ever.

If one uses a catheter and a leg bag 24 hours a day, one WILL reduce the ability of the bladder to expand. The bladder is a muscular bag that expands as urine enters same.

Facts:

1 -  If a muscle is not used, it WILL die - medical term atrophy.

2 - If the bladder does not stretch, it will loose its ability to stretch as the walls will get thicker and less elastic.

The trigger of needing to void urine is via stretch nerves on the bladder wall. If they are not triggered, (the bladder does not stretch), you will not be informed of a need to void. As a result, the pressure on the sphincters will increase to such an extent as to cause these to leak.The body will learn to release same without the primary trigger of informing the mind of the need.

When the bladder muscle dies, it will not have the ability to squeeze the urine out of the bladder. As a result, urine will be retained in the bladder and weep past the now open sphincter which will never close as the movement of urine is the trigger to keep it open.

Since the kidneys are in a constant state of filtering the blood and depositing urine into the bladder, AND the bladder capacity is in the 50ml or less range, the body will revert to the infant form of voiding - when bladder full, relax sphincters and let urine dribble out. This it will do without informing your mind, and by mathematical calculations, every 15 - 30 minutes.

Catheters being fed into diapers can cause some form of restriction to flow, which means the bladder gets a chance to expand (exercise). Stents also cause similar problems since kinks in either a catheter / urethera can cause back pressure.

Catheter / stent play with leg bags will create incontinence.... with diapers tend to delay the process due to kinks / back pressure. For the ABDL, the kink is the diapers etc, not the catheter / stent / leg bag... so in order to create ABDL incontinence with diapers, usually it better to just wear thick diapers and convince ones mind to revert to infantile voiding rather than attempt to accelerate the process with catheter / stent.

If one wishes to do same, 3-6 months with a catheter and leg bag will start the process... then switch to bulky diapers 24/7/365 adding a hollow butt plug. This will convince your mind that you are in wet / messy diapers 24/7/365 and it is normal and natural. Then you mind will switch to not holding anything... at that stage you can stop using the hollow butt plug and enjoy your baby state.

• Like 1