Gennie

FIrearms  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a firearm?

• Yes, I do
    • No, I don't
    • Had some, they're gone
    • I've been thinking about getting one.

I grew up in a military family and have been around guns my whole life and I can say I want nothing to do with them. I am pro-gun and think they serve a purpose in the hands of a trained individual but I could never justify owning one myself.

Here is the part you don't get. Ignoring you only limits my exposure to the poison you are spewing. You are using rape to scare people. As a victim and advocate for survivors, I can not ignore your use of our suffering and fear as a tool to justify your paranoid delusions that guns are the answer for everything. Yes, guns have prevented SOME crimes... but they have also been the reason others have happened to the insane degree that they have. Lets look at numbers: Crime rates...

• Like 1

You are a master of the emotional appeal. You disregard well researched facts, and use feelings. I don't believe the fault of the a rape, abuse, any of that, is the fault of the victim. By telling others they have to train to fight, wear protective clothing, you are saying when rape, abuse, what have you happens, it is the victims fault. That makes your argument part of the problem.

You are a master of the emotional appeal. You disregard well researched facts, and use feelings. I don't believe the fault of the a rape, abuse, any of that, is the fault of the victim. By telling others they have to train to fight, wear protective clothing, you are saying when rape, abuse, what have you happens, it is the victims fault. That makes your argument part of the problem.

Okay gang this thread is seriously hijacked from the original topic, I would suggest that the back and forth can stop. It is obvious you both have your own experiences and opinions, which you both have stated. I can see this pretty much isn't going anywhere, agree to disagree and move on or take it private or start your own thread. :) Please?

Okay gang this thread is seriously hijacked from the original topic, I would suggest that the back and forth can stop. It is obvious you both have your own experiences and opinions, which you both have stated. I can see this pretty much isn't going anywhere, agree to disagree and move on or take it private or start your own thread. :) Please?

that works for me!

now to get myself on topic, what would be better? a .22 ruger carbine, or a henry .357 lever action? im having trouble deciding which one to buy in the fall, it takes me a long time to make a decision on that(took me a long time to make a decision to buy that pump action)

you bought guns at that early age? how did you manage that? did you have your parents do it and give them the money for it?

The .410 at 8 years old was a gift from my uncle, who got my brothers and me the same gun on our 8th birthday.

Depends on what you want it for. If you plan on shooting it a lot I'd go with a 22lr. The ammo is cheaper and easier to get. The rifle looks like it would also be better for close defense and unloading a lot of rounds in a hurry. Might not be accurate or powerful enough for hunting though.

I have a henry rifle (colt 45), they are good for hunting and quite accurate even with just iron sights, also built to last. The 357 isn't very powerful though. Just enough for deer or moderate human deterrent but that's it.

Depends on what you want it for. If you plan on shooting it a lot I'd go with a 22lr. The ammo is cheaper and easier to get. The rifle looks like it would also be better for close defense and unloading a lot of rounds in a hurry. Might not be accurate or powerful enough for hunting though.

I have a henry rifle (colt 45), they are good for hunting and quite accurate even with just iron sights, also built to last. The 357 isn't very powerful though. Just enough for deer or moderate human deterrent but that's it.

Im not a hunter, I mainly want to be able to defend my home and those in it. my step father told me if I invest in anything he would prefer it be the 22, because he says then he could use it to hunt, but I don't see hunting with it(shotguns are better for hunting small game which he likes and we have shotguns)

Im not a hunter, I mainly want to be able to defend my home and those in it. my step father told me if I invest in anything he would prefer it be the 22, because he says then he could use it to hunt, but I don't see hunting with it(shotguns are better for hunting small game which he likes and we have shotguns)

The 22lr ruger carbine would be the better choice for home defense- it may be a problem though if you don't unload enough rounds into the intruder (or more accurately into their head) as you may risk not killing the intruder.This will lead to the classic problem of getting sued for causing them too much pain and suffering, or alternatively; getting charged by the cops for using too much force even if you do kill them. However; it does have a shorter barrel for easier maneuvering inside a house and like I said, it can unload a lot of rounds cheap rounds in a hurry. That particular rifle will not be good for hunting at all though. It's not going to be accurate enough at distance or powerful enough unless you plan on using it against rabbits or raccoons less than 15 or 20 yards away.

The 22lr ruger carbine would be the better choice for home defense- it may be a problem though if you don't unload enough rounds into the intruder (or more accurately into their head) as you may risk not killing the intruder.This will lead to the classic problem of getting sued for causing them too much pain and suffering, or alternatively; getting charged by the cops for using too much force even if you do kill them. However; it does have a shorter barrel for easier maneuvering inside a house and like I said, it can unload a lot of rounds cheap rounds in a hurry. That particular rifle will not be good for hunting at all though. It's not going to be accurate enough at distance or powerful enough unless you plan on using it against rabbits or raccoons less than 15 or 20 yards away.

You may not sue a homeowner for damages the resulted from the act of trespassing. If you shoot an home invader and do not kill him, he legally does not have the right to sue you. It falls under the whole "An individual is not allowed to benefit from his own maleficence."

There is no such thing as reasonable person test in law. There is reasonable fear, and you are right, a 7 year old is not reasonable fear. I was operating under the assumption that we were talking forced entry from an aggressive adult as that had been the discussion points through out the home defense thread.

Exactly, if the intruder survives they can dispute whether or not you had reasonable fear, say they tried to flee even if they didn't, or otherwise bring about doubt that otherwise would not happen if they were dead. In other words they can sue you for shooting them. It may not hold in court, but it will still be a bigger hastle to you, and may even lead to you being arrested, even when it's not warranted.

I just picked up a Smith and Wesson M&P shield 9mm yesterday. I've been trying to get this gun for over a month and finally found someone that had one. Probably go shoot it this weekend and will start carrying it as my concealed weapon.