LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Source For Super Absorbent Polymer - Maybe Near You?

I was working on a (gasp) non-diaper related project, and discovered that our local sporting goods store carries a super absorbent polymer in a package for filling basketball hoop bases, umbrella bases, et cetera, so they don't slosh around, and to prevent having to buy hundreds of pounds of sand.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4299490&mr:trackingCode=55373BC4-1B5B-E011-BB8E-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

I put 1/8 of a teaspoon in a cup and it easily absorbed 4-5 oz, they claim that the whole package should absorb over 40 gallons! The package is surprisingly small, only 16 oz. If I do the math correctly, unit for unit, the polymer absorbs 320 ounces of water per ounce of product. Interesting...

(By the way, it works wonderfully for my other project too, making bra stuffers that feel very lifelike for a friend of ours. Definitely not a real breast form, but they're for fun and easy to make, and cost about $30 for a pair)

If it is safe to use around a person's privates, then it's a good thing! I just wonder if the SAP used in disposable diapers is refined in some way to make it safe to use on a person's body or if it's just the same stuff used by fire departments and sporting stores. I can see taking a super absorbent diaper like Bambino's or Abriform X-Plus that already swell up super thick when wet, and then adding more SAP inside diaper and hot glueing another lining over the top of the existing one (something like lightningXIII posted earlier this morning). Maybe even carefully cut loose the existing diaper inner lining on one side, pour in more SAP and then re-glue the lining back in place. It would be a way to make your diapers as super absorbent as you personally want to! Think of how many people want to wear as thick and absorbent a diaper as they possibly can, even though it would hang down below their knees when soaked! Even the best manufacturers are going to have a limit on how much SAP they will put in their diapers. The reality is they want their product to absorb well but realize that incontinent people won't want to wear a super thick bulky diaper and will change a normally wet diaper when needed. Somewhere they have to draw the line on how thick and absorbent to make their diapers. This way, you can make your own mutant diaper if you want to! Something so super absorbent and thick just by modifying an existing super diaper! If anyone tries it, please post the results and any good and bad effects you experience from it!

It seems to act exactly the same as diaper SAP, IIRC the chemical is fairly safe (can be 'neutralized' with table salt and more water) The only thing I'd worry about is that this stuff has a bit of something to prevent microbes from growing in the stuff, but then again (as some have observed) it is apparent that disposable diapers already have something to reduce the amount of microbial activity in them.

I've carefully separated the lining of an abena from the shell at the waistband in order to stuff a Tena pad in between the fluff and the outer shell, this shouldn't be much different. That previous experiment was much more satisfactory than a stuffer added to the inside of the diaper.

While not the exact SAP found in diapers, I've found Gum Xanthan to be an excellent adsorbent. It is typically used as a thickening agent in salad dressings and such. It absorbs a large amount of fluid and thickens to any consistency a slippery, slime to a thick smooth paste.

While a few people do have a mild allergic reaction to it (1/10000) on ingestion, most do not. I have not heard of any instances of contact dermatitis or anything. As I mentioned it is a food additive. To be super safe, you can usually buy it in the flour section (Red Mill or Bob's flours sections) which is a grade you can use in food products.

I like the way it extends my diapers and how it gets very slick and slimy when it picks up water.

The MSDS sheets look clean! Check under the "Safety" tab and you'll find them. Enjoy your projects and please post your experiments and findings please!

• 3 weeks later...

rusty pins - "you can make your own mutant diaper if you want to! Something so super absorbent and thick just by modifying an existing super diaper! If anyone tries it, please post the results and any good and bad effects you experience from it!"

Well, Rusty Pins I decided to give it a try. I took a lowly Depends and added 2 teaspoons of SAP to the front of the diaper by pulling the inner liner away from the plastic and cutting a small slit to introduce the SAP between the plastic and the fluff with a funnel. I needed to open a path for the SAP with dowel to position the powder where it would do the most good, then just taped the opening shut.

The amount of absorption was amazing, not Abena level, but maybe what a Depends should be. The SAP I used was relatively fine grained and absorbed very fast with little tendency to press out liquid. The diaper took two moderately heavy wettings without leaking, not something your normal Depends could accomplish.

With all the materials in place, the amount of time to prepare the diaper was about one minute. So my feelings are that this is a worthwhile, cost effective way to improve a Depends to make a more serviceable diaper. What this amount of SAP would do for a Bambino or an Abena might be overkill, but if you are using booster pads one could consider this as an alternative.

rusty pins - "you can make your own mutant diaper if you want to! Something so super absorbent and thick just by modifying an existing super diaper! If anyone tries it, please post the results and any good and bad effects you experience from it!"

I just had a mental image of a diaper that could hold 40 gallons of "liquid".....

The aftermath wasn't pretty... :mf_microwave: . :roflmao:

Only did it once so far, used 50cc (think roll of nickles) or so in a cheap disposable. I used a large syringe as a funnel and cut small slits in the inner liner to add the powder. Worked great but was a pain to fill.

I'm sure this will be a trick to be enjoyed in the future, when I get the chance I will make a Super Super Plus. Be ready for a heavy diap!