LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Becoming A Female Mma Fighter?

Guest Amphetamenace

Guest Amphetamenace

I'm currently studying Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai at a local gym in town. This place is great. The instructor is someone who has spent HOURS on the mat and I barely had to open my mouth about my tight finances and he chopped my membership price by a third. A THIRD! With a warm handshake and such a hell of a welcoming, I can see a future with this.

Problem is, I've had to halt my training for the Maryland State Police for it. I basically removed my name off of the shipment roster since my recruiter told me "You can back out at any time." He's not too happy, and he tells me I can do this for free with the police, blah blah blah, but its different.

My only worry is that I'll get injured to the point where I'll have to halt my paramilitary and military (should I chose to join) oppurtunities.

What's Jiu Jitsu like? or Muay Thai? Is it like karate, where its practically useless in the ring? Where there's no competitive fighting?

Just watch a lot of fighters from the UFC and other MMA things. Then research what the are Brazilian Jiujitsu is more like grapple and submissions, Muay Thai is more clintch fight and using knees and kicks.

muay thai is rad, i did it for two years in high school... basically its very hard core beat your opponent to a bloody pulp.....

but consider how you are going to support yourself while you are training for 2-5 years before you can start making any money off of it....

because it takes that long to go pro and get any sort of money, and this does assume you don't suffer a close head injury which can do enough damage to put you on the side lines permanately... those helmets and gloves, do not prevent closed head injuries, your brain is still bouncing around in uyor head getting all bruised up...

and the long term damager, early on set dementia, parkinsons, memory loss, balance and other coordination problems....

but if it is something you are interested in pursue it... but don't just abandon all else because you are initially excited about something... take it slow, get into it, but make sure its something you 1. will really enjoy and 2. can suceed in.

but have fun, i loved muay thai when i did it....

2 years is way on the low side of learning to effectively use any martial arts proficiently gainst an aggressive opponent, especially an opponent that is trained similarly.

I'd say 3-6 is more likely.

What's Jiu Jitsu like? or Muay Thai? Is it like karate, where its practically useless in the ring? Where there's no competitive fighting?

And if you're studying these things in hopes of becoming an mma fighter, shouldn't you learn or research these things before you go making rash, life changing decisions

• Like 1

The martial arts you would learn in police training will be much more effective in taking someone down. Sure MMA is much more glamorous, and flashy, but will that really save your life in a street fight?

I say go to the police academy first, then take up MMA later on.

The martial arts you would learn in police training will be much more effective in taking someone down. Sure MMA is much more glamorous, and flashy, but will that really save your life in a street fight?

I couldn't agree more.

I do Muay Thai regularly,

My advice would be give it some time, get your fitness up for a start, its very intense training and takes quite a while to get your technique down.

You may change your mind once you get kicked in the face a couple times, though for some reason, i kinda enjoy that part of it, i hate the training though, working out till you nearly throw up isnt exactly fun for most people.

• Like 1

I myself was trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. While MMA has many forms it is pretty much standard for all fighters to have some training in Jiu-Jitsu. In fact many will hold a high belt in this art. Our training involved many facets of all martial arts while holding to the basis of Jiu-Jitsu and it's intrinsic style. While I rarely see a stand up altercation finish that way, I do see about every one end up on the ground. No other form focuses in this area.

To become proficient in this art requires many years of constant training, in the area of at least 3 times a week at about 3 hours per session. In my training the first hour was just straight up exercises, which to be quite honest was harder than most of what I had to endure in Joining the Marines. :huh: The funny thing was we trained to "Take what was given, get in get out" which basically was get the event over quickly in a matter of seconds. However I did make the mistake of asking my Sensei why we trained so hard to fight so little in time. :P

If you wanted a bit of advice, I woulld ask you to reconsider your direction of choices. You mention a thought of the Military. I would have you entertain the thought of doing that first, then to the Police force, all the while a continuing of your Martial arts training. All of these while give you a good direction in life, While all offer a career choice within themselves, together they give you substantial gain in life as a whole. One leading to the next, if that be your choice.

I do caution you in the choice of classes. You should seriously consider from who you get your training from. Be wary of the "buy a belt" places. That is to say if someone can offer you a price package and a guarantee of your status, your probably going to get hurt in the training or on the street in real life. True training will take several years and the belt color is not the determining factor of your status. I have seen Yellow Belts in Jui-Jitsu take a Black Belt out in other forms, and vice versa. It only takes one blow or hold to end the fight, you want to make sure your the one who gets that "one" in first! :thumbsup: And only with years of training will this be a given. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

I don't believe that to be entirely accurate. Our Sensei was infact the one who trained the local police and sheriffs department in the use of their takedown and holds/bars. So the person taking his classes every week would easily out maneuver said officer who only took a "few" classes. You'll note that every Officer is using basic martial arts with emphasis on wrist locks, holds and bars. While I'm not saying it should happen, I'm pretty sure most of the yellow belts in my class could easily out hand a seasoned law officer. :whistling:

I've studied TaeKwonDo and JiuJitsu and I'll tell you a few things.

Stand up martial arts have no place on the street. Attacks should be to weak points on the body. Affect the vision, wind and limbs. Don't try to outpunch, outkick or knockout your opponent. Most fights go to the ground and most fighters have less experience there.

On the other hand, most Brazilian JiuJitsu schools focus on tournament style. Make sure that what you are learning is applicable to street self defense. Gracie JiuJitsu has taken Brazilian to the next level. They have refined the techniques and offer a training program that focuses on the ability to defend yourself against a larger, stronger, faster, more athletic opponent. The basics are taught first where you're training for an inexperienced fighter (usually an aggressor on the street). For the MMA ring, you'll need years of training beyond the basics because they will have experience.

The Gracie family has been training the military and police for years. And for fun, Rorion Gracie choreographed the ending fight in Lethal Weapon.

I agree that you might want to focus on military, then police, then MMA.

Good luck with your endeavor.

• 2 weeks later...

Self-perfection is awesome and all, but competitive fighting is likely to leave you with a number of injuries and the possibility of a lifetime of pain. Not to say you shouldn't do it, just make sure you REALLY WANNA do it and accept the possibility of permanent disability/disfigurement in the pursuit of doing so.

I personally would rather just practice the martial art for the sake of it w/o getting involved in MMA style competitive fighting. The other issue is that you are fighting an uphill battle socially, not sure there are any women's MMA leagues that will get you enough credit and recognition to be worth the undertaking.

ya know I always thought it would be kinda funny to see someone use capowera (sp?)in the ring. I mean that requires a good amount of movement and well that doesnt really happen in mma...

Also consider that being a female your options for professional competition are severly limited. Not being sexist, just relaying information I've learned along my own path to become a fighter. (albeit, a Pro Wrestler, but you'd be amazed at how much the two sports have in common. There's a reason why Ken Shamrock, Brock Lesnar, Josh Barnett, Frank Trigg, Dan Severn, Sean O'Haire and Bobby Lashley have all trasitioned between the two sports) The only MMA Organization in North America with any exposure that offers Female divisions is StrikeForce, which were bought out by Zuffa, the group that owns UFC, which as we know, has no interest in a Womens product. So we'll see how long it lasts in StrikeForce from here on in. Bellator has flirted with the idea, but they're struggling to stay outside the UFC umbrella as it is. So you're options would be to fight at Flea Markets and the like with basically no other way up outside of going to Japan or hoping that StrikeForce gets to continue it's Womens division into the forseable future.